20 replies to this topic

#1 Milocinia

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,470 posts
  • LocationAvalon City, New Avalon

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:16 AM

Any chance I could play this again? I hate the other 2 game modes.

Cheers.

#2 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:27 AM

Maybe in a few weeks when they change something around.

#3 AnimosityMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 207 posts
  • LocationRight behind that rock over there.

Posted 04 November 2015 - 08:31 AM

No chance in Hell of ever seeing Conquest again. You see the new voting system was designed by Paul to get rid of this particular game mode. He was never happy with how much players were making in the game mode and wanted it gone forever.

#4 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:20 AM

At least half my matches last night were conquest. Reports of it's demise have been greatly exaggerated...

Certain maps, on the other hand, will never be seen again.

#5 Cyborne Elemental

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,965 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:21 AM

I enjoy Conquest as well.

Not just for the extra Cbills for capping flags, but for how varied the gameplay usually is.
Conquest games are usually alot more interesting.

#6 MechWarrior5152251

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,461 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:42 AM

I am so glad that Conquest is dead!

This is a "Wargame" not a racing game.

#7 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:50 AM

View PostMechWarrior5152251, on 04 November 2015 - 09:42 AM, said:

I am so glad that Conquest is dead!

This is a "Wargame" not a racing game.

I thought wars often involved acquisition of resources like ammo, or information, you know... stuff..

Seems like whoever successfully controls those things might have some sort of advantage in the rest of the campaign...

Granted MWO has those stupid drilly things but it's fun to pretend.

#8 AnimosityMonk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 207 posts
  • LocationRight behind that rock over there.

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:52 AM

View PostTyler Valentine, on 04 November 2015 - 09:20 AM, said:

At least half my matches last night were conquest. Reports of it's demise have been greatly exaggerated...

Certain maps, on the other hand, will never be seen again.

You are obviously Paul in disguise. I know it's you Paul. I KNOW IT'S YOU!

#9 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 04 November 2015 - 09:53 AM

View PostMister D, on 04 November 2015 - 09:21 AM, said:

I enjoy Conquest as well.

Not just for the extra Cbills for capping flags, but for how varied the gameplay usually is.
Conquest games are usually alot more interesting.

I like conquest because we get to see a lot more lance on lance fights and even 1 on 1 brawls.

#10 Coolant

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:37 AM

View PostKyocera, on 04 November 2015 - 08:16 AM, said:

Any chance I could play this again? I hate the other 2 game modes.

Cheers.

Why do you hate it? I hate Conquest. And I'll actually provide feedback. Conquest is a mode where a mech could theoretically not fire a shot at a mech a whole match. Conquest is a mode where a team could win without engaging the enemy. Conquest is a mode where speed is more important than weaponry even though we are piloting big stompy robots of death and destruction. Conquest is a mode where mechs take off weapons and put in bigger engines (what other video games can you name where having a big engine is important (hint - racing games, maybe you're playing the wrong video game)). Conquest is a game mode where you do nothing but stand on a square plot of land not much bigger than your mech and get awarded points. The plot of land is not a base, has nothing to conquer, there is no real objective to "taking" it. It's not a strategic point on a battlefield to control for an offensive. The plot offers no defensive position. Conquest is a game mode that you could literally go weapon-less and still get tons of xp/cbills. Conquest is a game mode where you can't even see the team's kill/death ratio unless you pull up the scoreboard and manual count (which btw, can get you get killed). Conquest is a game mode that rewards "resources" and yet those resources have nothing to do with any other part of the game.

Edited by Coolant, 04 November 2015 - 11:38 AM.

#11 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,391 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

View PostCoolant, on 04 November 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

Why do you hate it? I hate Conquest. And I'll actually provide feedback. Conquest is a mode where a mech could theoretically not fire a shot at a mech a whole match. Conquest is a mode where a team could win without engaging the enemy. Conquest is a mode where speed is more important than weaponry even though we are piloting big stompy robots of death and destruction. Conquest is a mode where mechs take off weapons and put in bigger engines (what other video games can you name where having a big engine is important (hint - racing games, maybe you're playing the wrong video game)). Conquest is a game mode where you do nothing but stand on a square plot of land not much bigger than your mech and get awarded points. The plot of land is not a base, has nothing to conquer, there is no real objective to "taking" it. It's not a strategic point on a battlefield to control for an offensive. The plot offers no defensive position. Conquest is a game mode that you could literally go weapon-less and still get tons of xp/cbills. Conquest is a game mode where you can't even see the team's kill/death ratio unless you pull up the scoreboard and manual count (which btw, can get you get killed). Conquest is a game mode that rewards "resources" and yet those resources have nothing to do with any other part of the game.

You don't get tons of cbills for capping and I don't know any who is bringing a bigger engine when the majority of conquest matches still end in slaughters. Its just that conquest can't be too long, the points will collect towards a win or loss even if someone runs to the edge and shutsdown to avoid death. I don't like skirmish because there is no other objective to win with when someone hides and a lot of my matchs end with a light shutting down and hiding.

Conquest is the only mode where lights can make a big difference and don't have to build entirely for damage, they can bring tag and narc and use them between capping.

I put a STD 300 in my TDR CTF and AS7 and play conquest at that slow of a speed and do fine.

#12 Mudhutwarrior

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 4,183 posts
  • LocationThe perimieter, out here there are no stars.

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:45 AM

Since the massive failure of CW the Group/Team guys need something differnt so they filter down int solo que.

Conquest is for those sick of Skirmish and fighting the above over and over.

It's the one place you could catch a break from the tryhard community. Whenver the nonstop slaughter and stomps got to me I could select conquest and catch a respite.

It's gone now. And soon will many pugs and casuals who still saw MWO for what it is, A game. Not non stop balls to the wall compettion.

#13 Herr Vorragend

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 582 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:51 AM

View PostCoolant, on 04 November 2015 - 11:37 AM, said:

Guess what? There are other opinions out there than yours. I had skirmish disabled most of the time Do you want to know why?
You can put pressure onto the enemy team by using the system provided by the game mode in conquest and assault. Playing deathmatch (=skirmish) over and over again is VERY boring.
In assault you can disctract the enemy team by capping a little. Some of them may return, some of them try to speed to your base and so on. There are simply more surprising moments / elements and this more "evolving" thing is what I like beside diversity.

And the same goes for conquest. You may have lost the battle in the main fight, but two smartly played lights can change the game into a win!

And that´s why I want the old gamemode-toggle back. Let the skirmishers have their matches. But let me mine, too.
Or put the lovers of the voting system into a seperate queue.

edit: typos

Edited by Herr Vorragend, 04 November 2015 - 11:55 AM.

#14 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:53 AM

I hate conquest because I've never played conquest and have no idea how the matches or rewards actually play out.

#15 DAYLEET

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 4,316 posts
  • LocationLinoleum.

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:56 AM

I could live without chosing gamemode if:

1) It wasnt always the same map.
2) You guys learned that Assault and Conquest are not to be played like Skirmish, so the rest of the team didnt have a harder time trying to do everything.

We all know this is going to change, whether it was made like this because they knew people would complain even if it was done the right way is opened to debate. Make sense to make it this bad so everybody is "happy" when they "improve" it.

Edited by DAYLEET, 04 November 2015 - 11:57 AM.

#16 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 11:57 AM

Doubtful.

WTF does defending your base mean?

#17 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:08 PM

View Postsycocys, on 04 November 2015 - 11:57 AM, said:

Doubtful.

WTF does defending your base mean?

Apparently it means voting skirmish every time so you don't have to worry about it.

#18 PurpleNinja

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 2,097 posts
  • LocationMIA

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:11 PM

I've only checked the conquest box during events, last night I was forced to play a few matches in it.

Conquest matches are wonderful, in theory. In reality it falls into 2 categories, death ball matches which are the same matches we play in assault/skirmish; and the cat and mouse game, where one team try to catch the running lights trying to cap.

#19 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:13 PM

Russ even tweeted that Conquest gave 30k more c-bills on average compared to the other modes.

#20 Screech

• Knight Errant
  • 2,290 posts

Posted 04 November 2015 - 12:27 PM

I do wonder what effect this will have on the light population as Conquest mode has taken a dump and died in the voting polls. I know that I would pick Conquest only when playing a light during events, as having to face 5 Assaults, 4 Heavies on almost every drop would get old fast.

So it seems we have another incentive placed in the game to not play lights which this game really did not need. Perhaps this change will decrease the "ACH ate my Baby" threads....

I know that is unpossible but a kid can still dream.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users