Three monitors.

I hope to oneday build this

http://simpit.christrup.net/

#3 Dimestore

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 302 posts
  • LocationVancouver (Pacific Standard Time Zone)

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:06 PM

Yup, my current system would be fine but I want to be able to rock this beast. Don't have the specs for the new system on-hand. Not quite as jacked as your system.

#4 ElvisonCrack

• PipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 33 posts
  • LocationNorthwind

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

need one more 6970 for 3 monitor eyefinity setup then BOOM done :D

#5 FrostyTrigger

Rookie

• 5 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:11 PM

I would have been good with my current computer, but since my friend needs to upgrade from his Core2Duo to play the game respectfully, I also have upgrade fever.

Might not be the place for this, but I hear that AMD is on top for the currentl generation of graphics cards.... thoughts? Been with Nvidia the past two builds but I'm willing to switch should the factors call for it.

Also I'd love a giant monitor, but have they improved the refresh rate on those enough to make them good for gaming? Currently using 3 21" monitors and hoping that might be good for MWO.

Edited by FrostyTrigger, 09 July 2012 - 05:29 PM.

#6 Todd Lee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:13 PM

Why an i7? Everywhere I've read states they're useless for gaming (due to hyper threading).

And how is the HT soundcard, I've been debating between that and the Creative Recon3D.

#7 RetiredVillain

Rookie

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4 posts
  • LocationSurrey, BC, Canada

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

I recently had to build a new system as my old one failed in a spectacular fashion... here's what I built:

CPU: Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.4gHz
CPU Heatsink: Zalman CNPS11X Performa
MoBo: ASUS Sabertooth Z77 ATX
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjawsz 32GB 4X8GB DDR3-1600
Video: EVGA GeForce GTX 570 Superclocked x2 in SLI
System Drive: OCZ Agility 3 240GB SSD SATA3 SandForce SF-2281
Case: Antec Lanboy Air "Yellow"

So far, it's AWESOME.

Here's an some benchmarking results: http://3dmark.com/3dm11/3757241

Edited by MinisterPhobia, 09 July 2012 - 05:22 PM.

#8 Necrodemus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationSouthwestern Virginia, USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:22 PM

Currently using:

i7-2600K @ 4.9 GHz w/ HT (Lapped)
Noctura NH-D14 (Lapped)
Asus P8-Z68V PRO
8GB RAM (another 8 is being RMA'd, but I probably won't use it as it's a PITA to hit 4.9GHz with 4 DIMMs)
2x 120GB SSD
2x 1TB Caviar Black (RAID1)
GTX 670 OC
Auzentech Forte 7.1
3x Dell 24"

The 670 is a recent upgrade (duh) and I just received a CH Products Fighterstick and Pro Throttle. I figure the 670 is more than enough atm, but I can always SLI later if needed.

View PostFrostyTrigger, on 09 July 2012 - 05:11 PM, said:

Might not be the place for this, but I hear that AMD is on top for the currently generation of graphics cards.... thoughts? Been with Nvidia the past two builds but I'm willing to switch should the factors call for it.

I just switched teams after many years with ATI/AMD. This is my first non-ATI/AMD card since 3DFx. The price/performance of the GK104 chip is nice and the driver optimizations (particularly adaptive v-sync) really interested me.

View PostTodd Lee, on 09 July 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

Everywhere I've read states they're useless for gaming (due to hyper threading).

LOL!

Edited by Necrodemus, 09 July 2012 - 05:28 PM.

#9 Joe Kid

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 205 posts
  • LocationOklahoma

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:44 PM

Does the forum seem laggy today?
I guess a lot of us are upgrading:

Intel I7-3770 3.4Mhz
AS Rock Extreme Z77
Gygabyte GT680
OCZ 120gb SSD
Samsung 1tb HDD
Cheap BlueRay ODD
AMD 8gb Ram
Cosair H100 Cooling
Dragon Rider Case
Kingwin 650 W PSU

All my parts came in I threw it together and No Video, No POST, Some fans Spun some did not. Turns out I got a faulty Mother Board. RMA'd it and they said I must of bent some CPU Pins on install, so no replacement. So had to fork over another $200.00 for another MB and shipping. Talk about one hurdle or another. On the other hand according to UPS Tracking my new motherboard should be here in the AM. Time to Geek OUT!

#10 grimzod

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:51 PM

Bought a A10-5700 w/ 7660D APU w/10gb ram and some extras (1TB hdd, 500watt PSU/case), Now to see how it'll run MWO.... waiting.....waiting...

#11 Todd Lee

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 09 July 2012 - 05:56 PM

View PostNecrodemus, on 09 July 2012 - 05:22 PM, said:

Currently using:

i7-2600K @ 4.9 GHz w/ HT (Lapped)
Noctura NH-D14 (Lapped)
Asus P8-Z68V PRO
8GB RAM (another 8 is being RMA'd, but I probably won't use it as it's a PITA to hit 4.9GHz with 4 DIMMs)
2x 120GB SSD
2x 1TB Caviar Black (RAID1)
GTX 670 OC
Auzentech Forte 7.1
3x Dell 24"

The 670 is a recent upgrade (duh) and I just received a CH Products Fighterstick and Pro Throttle. I figure the 670 is more than enough atm, but I can always SLI later if needed.

I just switched teams after many years with ATI/AMD. This is my first non-ATI/AMD card since 3DFx. The price/performance of the GK104 chip is nice and the driver optimizations (particularly adaptive v-sync) really interested me.

LOL!

What video game out there utilizes more than four threads? That's the entire point of the i7s yes? Last I recall only high end graphics software utilizes it. I'm no computer expert, but this seems like one of those 1+1= type of solutions.

http://www.pcmag.com...,2404675,00.asp

Hyper-Threading
Intel Hyper-Threading uses multi-threading technology to make a processor appear to have more cores than it physically has to the operating system and applications. Hyper-Threading technology is used to increase performance at multi-threaded tasks. The simplest multi-threaded situation is a multi-tasking user running several programs simultaneously, but there are other tasks that take advantage of Hyper-Threading like multimedia operations (like transcoding, rendering, etc.) and Web surfing (loading different elements like Flash content and images simultaneously).
The quick explanation is that all Core i7 CPUs use Hyper-Threading, so a six-core CPU can handle 12 streams, a four core handles eight streams, and a dual-core handles four streams. Core i5 uses Hyper-Threading to make a dual-core CPU act like a four-core one, but if you have a Core i5 processor with four true cores, it won't have Hyper-Threading. For the time being, Core i5 tops out at handling 4 streams, using four real cores or two cores with Hyper-Threading.

Edited by Todd Lee, 09 July 2012 - 06:00 PM.

#12 Gallard

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 21 posts
  • LocationNAIS, New Avalon

Posted 09 July 2012 - 06:03 PM

built my new pc for this and The Secret World.

CPU: i5 3570k (dont need hyperthreading)
Cooler: Frio Advanced (not very good, but I got it cheap)
Mobo: Sabertooth Z77 (absolutely awesome...)
RAM: 16 GB corsair (more than I need, but I wanted to populate all 4 DIMM slots)
GPU: Asus GTX 670 DCUII TOP (apparently I got one of the few good ones, no probs at all)
SSD: 120 GB Intel 520 series Cherryville (glad I sprung for this, rock solid even with SandForce)
HDD: 500 GB Caviar Black
PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Grand 1050W (planning for SLI in the future, and cost the same as 750W lol)
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT (It's not for everyone, but I'm even more pleased with it than I thought I would be)
Monitor: Asus 23" VH238H (great monitor for the price, 27" was just too much for my budget)

threw in a dvd drive, a card reader, and a cpl extra fans also. purrs (whirrs) like a kitten. absolutely destroys any benchmark I toss at it, overclocks like a dream, and makes me breakfast in bed. or something. only thing it needs now is a neurohelmet.

needless to say I'm eagerly anticipating CB2 (*crosses fingers*), or aug 7 !

#13 Necrodemus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 121 posts
  • LocationSouthwestern Virginia, USA

Posted 09 July 2012 - 09:49 PM

View PostTodd Lee, on 09 July 2012 - 05:56 PM, said:

[snip] ...basic lesson on HT... [snip]

Thanks. I know what HT is and how it applies to thread-count, scheduling, etc. My fault for not being clearer... "LOL" may have been a bad choice. :) The game may only use four threads, but most people run more than just the game whether they know it or not. Considering the host of other applications that users may be running as well as background tasks I would prefer to use HT than not.

Edited by Necrodemus, 09 July 2012 - 09:54 PM.

#14 Katsu

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 10 July 2012 - 02:57 PM

View PostTodd Lee, on 09 July 2012 - 05:13 PM, said:

Why an i7? Everywhere I've read states they're useless for gaming (due to hyper threading).

And how is the HT soundcard, I've been debating between that and the Creative Recon3D.

I got a good deal on the i7 so went with it...and it seems to be doing fine in anything I play.

The HT soundcard is nice, I get noticebly better sound than the Uber SB I was using, cleaner sound and better bass.

With the 30" monitor I don't notice any problems with the refresh rate. Having said that I don't play FPS. I only play online games.

My boot time with this setup is 26 seconds from hit the power button to using. I am happy with that.

Katsu

#15 Gremlich Johns

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,855 posts
  • LocationMaryland, USA

Posted 10 July 2012 - 04:53 PM

ummm, HARDWARE threads please

#16 ShadowMech84

• PipPipPip
  • 61 posts
  • LocationRiverside, CA

Posted 17 July 2012 - 02:37 AM

I built a new rig specifically for MWO. I went with the i7 and I gotta say, it's pretty amazing. I can run every game on Ultra settings with other programs (uTorrent, Norton 360, TeamViewer, even VLC or Netflix streaming movies for whoever else is in my room) running and it never dips my performance at all. My specs are:

CPU: Intel Core i7-2700K at stock 3.5GHz
Cooler: Corsair H100 Water Cooler (Idle temp at 24C)
Mobo: ASRock Extreme 3 Gen 3 (Z68 Chipset)
RAM: 8GB Corsair Vengeance
GPU: EVGA GTX 670 FTW Edition
SSD: 2 x Kingston HyperX 3K 90GB (For OS and "High Performance" apps) in RAID 0
HDD: 2TB Western Digital 7200 RPM
PSU: PC Power and Cooling (Corsair, basically) Silencer MK II 750w
Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 650D
Monitor: Asus VK278Q 27", 1080p, 2ms Response, 10,000,000:1

All in all I gotta say that I absolutely love this build. This is my first new rig in over 10 years! It can run Crysis 1, Warhead and 2, BF2, RAGE, Metro 2033, Skyrim and any other game I've thrown at it on Ultra setting with VSync, 16x AA and everything else all the way up, buttery smooth. And with those SSD's everything loads up in the blink of an eye. :ph34r:

Edited by ShadowMech84, 17 July 2012 - 02:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users