Incentives To Run Faction Correct Mechs?

22 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:30 PM

One of the big "blah blah blahs" from the Launch Event was Factions, and running faction mechs.

Which at some point got dumbed down to Clan/Inner Sphere.

Whatever happened to the talk of getting lower priced for Faction Specific Mechs if you worked for or belonged to said faction? To Cbills bonuses for running Faction correct Mechs, etc?

Give Davions a reason to run Enforcers and Jagermech-As, Lyrans their Zeus's and Commandos, Liaos their Vindicators and Ravens, etc. A benefit for being actual Loyalists.

Have enemy faction mechs cost more, and provide less like a -5% to cbills to represent how much harder and more expensive the parts are to maintain it. Make it much larger for IS units running Clan Tech, and vice versa (though with few exceptions IDK why a Clanner would run IS mechs, unless they love IS ACs), and non Faction specific mechs neutral in between.

Mercs should end up somewhere in between, no bonuses, no minuses, as a basis, but getting maybe half the house bonus when they use faction specific mechs while under contract to that faction. And yes, the same hits for running Clan Tech (since they don't have the technical logistics or wherewithal to really keep a Madcat going)

Yes, I know some people will whine at the thought of certain chassis not earning as much. I really don't care. If we are to ever get anything resembling immersion, steps like these really are needed.

And before you get your panties on fire...I am referring to CW.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 06 November 2015 - 05:32 PM.

#2 Lyoto Machida

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:39 PM

Would require actual programming...

Posted Image

#3 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:41 PM

I'd take it a step further and have certain planets give bonuses to their faction owners for running mechs produced on them. That way factions matter and so do planets.

#4 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:48 PM

I bet they will do this in beta 4-5 when they add resources.

#5 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:50 PM

Sounds nice.

Won't happen.

We can't have more Paulconomy boosters.

#6 wanderer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:55 PM

Reward loyalty to a faction with decreased prices for a 'Mech that belongs to said faction/bonus exp & GXP/bonus LP while running a 'Mech from that faction. Track the amount discounted/exp gained.

Impose a penalty of the same amount + a small but increasing penalty to a player for changing factions in C-bills-the larger a broken contract, the worse the penalty. Impose a LP penalty that requires a player to earn that many LP for the new faction before progressing in it and gaining benefits. Turncoats work harder to get what loyalists earn, after all.

Give lone wolves/true mercs their own LP chart utterly separate from factions, allowing people who want to go merc to do so but not allow them to reap faction loyalty rewards. Make the "LP" for this one more expensive to march up the chart, and apply similar penalties if they "go House".

Edited by wanderer, 06 November 2015 - 05:57 PM.

#7 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:58 PM

always nice to see how fast the negative nancies come out of the woodwork.

SMH

View Postwanderer, on 06 November 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

Reward loyalty to a faction with decreased prices for a 'Mech that belongs to said faction/bonus exp & GXP/bonus LP while running a 'Mech from that faction. Track the amount discounted/exp gained.

Impose a penalty of the same amount + a small but increasing penalty to a player for changing factions in C-bills-the larger a broken contract, the worse the penalty. Impose a LP penalty that requires a player to earn that many LP for the new faction before progressing in it and gaining benefits. Turncoats work harder to get what loyalists earn, after all.

might work, though even my base idea would need a lot of tweaking to get the numbers right. I would say this penalty should only apply to those who chose "lifetime" contracts to a house, then broke them. But then, that is also who should get the max rewards, as the short term contracts imply you are a merc.

And everyone should get a bonus for running Urbanmechs, naturally. :ph34r:

#8 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 05:59 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 November 2015 - 05:55 PM, said:

SMH

I'm not sure how you're reading what I wrote.

I actually like the idea, but given the track record on suggestions to boosting rewards.. I don't see it going any further than wishful thinking.

#9 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:27 PM

I don't ever remember seeing this in CW before, but are the faction/merc logos plastered all over the bases you try to attack? That might help a little bit.

As for the mechs, I definitely think discounts are good, but I still believe that a custom pattern/geo faction variant rewarded at top (or near top) loyalty of each faction would be best. Might have a chance to increase the lifetime of a regular player in CW beyond the low hanging mechbay fruit.

Edited by Elizander, 06 November 2015 - 06:30 PM.

#10 Lyoto Machida

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 5,081 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:28 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 November 2015 - 05:58 PM, said:

SMH

might work, though even my base idea would need a lot of tweaking to get the numbers right. I would say this penalty should only apply to those who chose "lifetime" contracts to a house, then broke them. But then, that is also who should get the max rewards, as the short term contracts imply you are a merc.

And everyone should get a bonus for running Urbanmechs, naturally. :ph34r:

The rate at which negative nancies come out of the woodwork is inversely proportional to the rate at which PGI makes balancing changes.

#11 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:29 PM

View PostElizander, on 06 November 2015 - 06:27 PM, said:

I don't ever remember seeing this in CW before, but are the faction/merc logos plastered all over the bases you try to attack?

They've been there since the beginning (not sure if it was the very beginning though).

It's plastered with the faction that has the current ownership of the planet.

Edited by Deathlike, 06 November 2015 - 06:31 PM.

#12 Saint Scarlett Johan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 3,349 posts
  • LocationOn the Delta side of Vicksburg

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:30 PM

I want a reason to go Purple Pigeon for my Awesomes...

#13 Elizander

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:32 PM

Also would it hurt if high ranking loyal players get discounts on consumables used in CW? Or maybe faction mechs get free consumables... or something.

Edited by Elizander, 06 November 2015 - 06:32 PM.

#14 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 06:37 PM

View PostLyoto Machida, on 06 November 2015 - 06:28 PM, said:

The rate at which negative nancies come out of the woodwork is inversely proportional to the rate at which PGI makes balancing changes.

if that were the case, you guys would be at a glacial pace with all these PTS. Mind you, they might not be the balance changes you want, they might not even be good changes, but they ARE balance changes. ;)

#15 Peter2k

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,032 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:20 PM

Sounds nice enough

Though I'd just start with incentivizing people to take faction mechs through C-Bill boosting
Thinking more of a set number per mech you bring fitting the faction you're fighting for
Like 10k for bringing 1, 30k for 2, 60k for 3 and let's say 80k to 100k for bringing a whole set
But reduced again if you bring 4 copies of the same mech maybe

It's not like all chassis are top performers or have been blessed by quirkening

Also I feel like you need to offer pugs n smaller groups something to actually come to CW
The time you need to fight in CW needs to be quite more profitable for all players than normal play modes, even if you lose

#16 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:23 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 06 November 2015 - 06:37 PM, said:

if that were the case, you guys would be at a glacial pace with all these PTS. Mind you, they might not be the balance changes you want, they might not even be good changes, but they ARE balance changes. ;)

The rebalancing "effort" was mentioned like 3 months ago.

Considering the volatile reaction that was PTS Phase 1, that didn't feel like time well spent.

"Glacial pace" is only acceptable when the result are actually good. When the results are NOT good... you get a very different reaction.

Edited by Deathlike, 06 November 2015 - 07:23 PM.

#17 Impyrium

• The God
  • The God
  • 2,104 posts
  • LocationSouth Australia

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:25 PM

Something to add onto this, though not entirely related I suppose, it'd be interesting to have 'faction targets' each week. So Davion might have Kurita as a faction target one week, and you'd get a small bonus for eliminating Kurita aligned players in the regular queue.

Maybe even tie that into the new CW3 to have it based on whichever faction target the CW players have voted for.

#18 Tincan Nightmare

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,069 posts

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:29 PM

I wouldn't mind if they just started small and gave faction specific mechs a simple loyalty point boost for using them. It would make more sense for a Davion loyalist to run Federated Suns mech variants then those more common from other houses, so why not reward that. Maybe a small multiplier to your total LP earnings for each 'house' variant you field. Not so sure about giving negative benefits if you field something else though, there is enough grind in various forms without 'forcing' factions to use certain mechs.

But I certainly wouldn't turn down a C-bill benefit either ;)!

#19 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 06 November 2015 - 07:38 PM

So, Mayhaps the OP needs to look into the NBT scene.

~Leone.

#20 TyphonCh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • The Clamps
  • 1,074 posts
  • LocationDue North

Posted 06 November 2015 - 10:04 PM

I was thinking about this the other day. I'd say most dedicated CW units hit Rank 20 long ago. I heard that higher ranks would be added... Why not award (H) mechs (House) for top tier in your faction. Regular %30 C-bills in pug drops, %40 in CW

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users