The New Unseen (Mad, Whm, Rfl, Etc)... Do They Jsut Look A Littel Too New And Shiny To Anyone Else?

32 replies to this topic

#1 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:11 AM

While there are a number of individual design elements that one could point to (the elbows on the WHM, the bulky arms on the RFL, .... well LOTS on the Marauder... but that's a tough mech to do), I think the number one thing I keep hearing is...they are too sleek, too smooth... in a lot of ways...too Clan.

I'm not 100% sure I agree with the sleekness (I think they are pretty in line with a lot of IS Mech in that) but ...they are too new looking for me. And I know that there are still ones coming off the factory floor right now, all new and shiny.

But for me, if ever there were mechs that BEGGED for the Resistance treatment? I would say it's these guys, representatives of the Third Succession War, mankind's descent back to the Dark Ages, etc. Definitely makes more sense than a 2 year old Mauler design, looking like a ghetto Ford pickup, anyhow.

What do you think, yay or nay? Scuff em up, pound some dents into em, etc?

I also admit, I really hate new and shiny on ANY of my mechs. Never understood the fetish, when I saw other people's miniatures. These aren't Parade Ground Ponies, but engines of war, getting the snot beat out of them.....so I always weathered and beat up my minis.

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 07 November 2015 - 07:11 AM.

#2 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:15 AM

I strongly believe we need "shiny" and "battle damaged" overlays.

I fully get where you're coming from, but on the other hand? I get really annoyed trying to paint my Phoenix mechs, because they always end up so drab... And I like painting my spiffy Clan mechs.

Users should have choice here.

#3 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:38 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 07 November 2015 - 07:15 AM, said:

I fully get where you're coming from, but on the other hand? I get really annoyed trying to paint my Phoenix mechs, because they always end up so drab... And I like painting my spiffy Clan mechs.

They do.

If you want new, shiny and soulless, (aka the Glocks or other Tactical Tupperware of the Btech world) you become a Clanner.
Posted Image
Posted Image
If you value character, history, luster, (like a nice 1873 Colt Peacemaker or S&W #3 Russian), you drive an IS Mech.
Posted Image
Posted Image
See, easy peasy! ;)

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 07 November 2015 - 08:07 AM.

#4 BigBucket

• PipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 95 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:43 AM

I agree, a little more "boxy" and a little more "fatigued" would be a great addition to the unseen's art.

#5 Malleus011

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 07:57 AM

I'd buy an 'in the field' skin (or even better, an overlay) for a lot of my 'mechs. I like the 'used tech' look, and don't much care for shiny new 'mechs.

#6 Durant Carlyle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 3,877 posts
  • LocationClose enough to poke you with a stick.

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:01 AM

I like the freshly-painted look myself. My Jenners beg for a freshly-painted option, as none of the patterns/colors match up with the rest of my 'Mechs. I also wish they had a matte color palette option to go with the super-shiny one they have now. I would choose matte colors every time.

By the time matches are over, they look beat up enough -- they don't need to start that way.

#7 Lucian Nostra

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:10 AM

Sorry I don't see it, theres what.. a handfull of beat up looking mechs in the game? F variants and R variants?

I don't see the complaint having real merit here, and honestly while I can understand the.. I don't like curves I want boxy mechs.. meh.. personal pref and honestly the softer edges could be a large part of the getting around harmony golds lawyers.

Similar but not the same..

#8 Naduk

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,575 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:29 AM

the mech designs are perfect

people crying they they look too clan are very much forgetting that these mechs come from the golden ages of the IS
when the starleague was at full strength, the sleek designs are a natural sign of technology being at its pinnacle
look at the cars of today vs the cars of old, every edge , every line, every feature gets more defined sleek and refined with every year

only mechs like the Atlas would break this trend because being super evil/scary/ugly was a requirement in its design brief

it is the classic mechs that the clans took with them
wich they further improved upon and refined over the centuries
and unlike the IS the wars waged by the Clans strictly obeyed rules designed to not waste resources or talented people
so their tech naturally got sleeker and more refined while the IS who were very busy slaying anything that gave their opponents an advantage wound the clock backwards in time in regards to their tech

should there be a beat up, centuries old skin for them, hell yes their should be
would be nice to see it be available for all, but given to the classic mechs for free with those packs
or perhaps it could be the first overlay skin, like how the hexagon (L) mechs are

#9 Tennex

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 6,619 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:34 AM

My issue with the new designs

Posted Image

They are growing on me tho, despite the stark difference with classic MWO design elements

#10 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:36 AM

View PostLucian Nostra, on 07 November 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

Sorry I don't see it, theres what.. a handfull of beat up looking mechs in the game? F variants and R variants?

I don't see the complaint having real merit here, and honestly while I can understand the.. I don't like curves I want boxy mechs.. meh.. personal pref and honestly the softer edges could be a large part of the getting around harmony golds lawyers.

There's a complaint?

Huh, I thought there was a suggestion. Go figure.

#11 Lucian Nostra

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:39 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 November 2015 - 10:36 AM, said:

There's a complaint?

Huh, I thought there was a suggestion. Go figure.

a complaint doesn't have to be your average stomping your feet to be one, your not in agreement thus you have a complaint with how PGI designed the new mechs :)

#12 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:42 AM

View PostNaduk, on 07 November 2015 - 10:29 AM, said:

the mech designs are perfect

people crying they they look too clan are very much forgetting that these mechs come from the golden ages of the IS
when the starleague was at full strength, the sleek designs are a natural sign of technology being at its pinnacle
look at the cars of today vs the cars of old, every edge , every line, every feature gets more defined sleek and refined with every year

only mechs like the Atlas would break this trend because being super evil/scary/ugly was a requirement in its design brief

it is the classic mechs that the clans took with them
wich they further improved upon and refined over the centuries
and unlike the IS the wars waged by the Clans strictly obeyed rules designed to not waste resources or talented people
so their tech naturally got sleeker and more refined while the IS who were very busy slaying anything that gave their opponents an advantage wound the clock backwards in time in regards to their tech

should there be a beat up, centuries old skin for them, hell yes their should be
would be nice to see it be available for all, but given to the classic mechs for free with those packs
or perhaps it could be the first overlay skin, like how the hexagon (L) mechs are

except that most of the Unseen, aside from the Marauder itself, severely predate the heyday of the Star League. The WHM-6R was introduced in 2515, in fact, long before most of the famous tech of the later age of the star League. It's actually a rather aged design.

Some, like the Rifleman, evolved into their current form later in the era.

Regardless, it's a matter of personal taste. Some people like everythign showroom shiny, and IMO, that has it's place. It's how I prefer to keep my classic and antique cars.

My Land Cruiser FJ40? Is never more beautiful than when it's coated in mud, and has a few dings.....because it meant it's being used how it's supposed to be.

View PostLucian Nostra, on 07 November 2015 - 10:39 AM, said:

a complaint doesn't have to be your average stomping your feet to be one, your not in agreement thus you have a complaint with how PGI designed the new mechs :)

Not at all.

A complaint would be that I was unhappy with something. I would simply like them to add more options.

#13 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,122 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:46 AM

So shiny, so chrome :3

#14 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:48 AM

View PostLucian Nostra, on 07 November 2015 - 10:10 AM, said:

I'd say simply a discussion of preference, not complaints.

I think I prefer the boxier old style, though not the drab loom - players should be able to choose between drab and shiny. After all, just because you're piloting an old IS mech doesn't mean you don't baby it

Consider that picture of the AMX and Stingray you recently posted, Bishop. Old and plenty shiny ;)

But the curves and more modern appeance on the unseen mechs I'd prefer restricted to newer chassis, while the older classic chassis should be bulkier, boxier.

With that said, I certainly don't have issue with the new mechs, and think they are dead ******* sexy. I'd just prefer holding to the older style for classic mech chassis is all.

#15 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:50 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 07 November 2015 - 07:11 AM, said:

What do you think, yay or nay? Scuff em up, pound some dents into em, etc?

Dent's like these?
My scratchbuild mech models

I'd love to pilot one of these junkpiles. Has much more personality than what we currently have.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:50 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 07 November 2015 - 10:48 AM, said:

I'd say simply a discussion of preference, not complaints.

I think I prefer the boxier old style, though not the drab loom - players should be able to choose between drab and shiny. After all, just because you're piloting an old IS mech doesn't mean you don't baby it

Consider that picture of the AMX and Stingray you recently posted, Bishop. Old and plenty shiny ;)

But the curves and more modern appeance on the unseen mechs I'd prefer restricted to newer chassis, while the older classic chassis should be bulkier, boxier.

With that said, I certainly don't have issue with the new mechs, and think they are dead ******* sexy. I'd just prefer holding to the older style for classic mech chassis is all.

and you can spray shiny metallic paint on a PoJ Ford Pinto.

Honestly, would love to see a little more wear available on Clan Mechs. Heck the Summoner is 180 year old design, lol.

Also, as for the AMX/Stingray?

One can always tell a trailer queen to an actual road/track car.... the one that gets used is never as shiny as the one that just get's looked at.

Trailer queens....gha...leave a bad taste in my mouth. When I go to a car or bike show? I don't trailer ANYTHING.... you should actually have to drive to the show...and you should be proud to!

Also, pretty sure those classic cars haven't been shot at very often...... or off roaded......

this is about as shiny as a proper IS mech should be....
Posted Image

AFTER you take it out mud bogging.
shiny on it is just.... silly looking...
Posted Image
and THIS...is what the Legend Killer makes me think of.....
Posted Image

while THIS is what I want my Warhammer to look like
Posted Image

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 07 November 2015 - 10:57 AM.

#17 ChapeL

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:54 AM

The (F) variants look worn if that's what you mean Bishop. I mean take the most vibrant color you have and apply it to the AS7-D (F) and it still looks like the mech has spend a century or two in a sand storm.

I could see the classics getting that treatment as well but in the second to last Dev Log, the texture artist mentionned something along the lines of "we used to give our mechs a "grungy" look". The way it was phrased lead me to believe that would no longer be the case. ( as is evident on the clan mechs )

#18 Spleenslitta

• Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 07 November 2015 - 10:58 AM

I mean....just look at them. They have so much personality.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Here's my favorite. Tiny but really looks like it can jump and punk around like you wouldn't believe.
Posted Image

#19 Sarlic

• Hearing Impaired
  • Hearing Impaired
  • 4,519 posts
  • LocationEurope

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:00 AM

Doenst it has to do with legal reasons? (That it smoother then more blocky)

On BT forums there was about the same thread discussing about this.

#20 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 07 November 2015 - 11:00 AM

View PostWintersdark, on 07 November 2015 - 07:15 AM, said:

The standard variants definitely need to look a little more battle worn, however that can be done in texturing. I'm okay with the Hero variants being a bit 'shiny' still because they're something special and I'm willing to break immersion on them for the aesthetic. Also, since they're fairly special variants I would assume they would be kept up a bit better than other mechs.

As for the 'clan look' well... the clan mechs did come from the designs of former IS and the IIC show a somewhat in between aesthetic design from IS to Clan. Plus mech designs from all over the IS tended to have a different aesthetic to them. There is definitely less of a clan aesthetic to these mechs than simply more of a pre-succession wars feel to them.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users