How Is The Pilot Skill Rating (Psr) And Tier Level Working For You?

32 replies to this topic

#21 Sjorpha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:11 AM

View PostMizeur, on 12 November 2015 - 05:50 AM, said:

PSR is based on WLR and match score. KDR is a factor.

Neither win/loss ratio or Kill/death ratio is part of the system in any way shape or form.

Your PSR changes are based on winning and losing, and kills (plus many other things) are a factor. That is not the same as w/l and k/d ratio, which the system doesn't even know about.

It is possible to have a high tier and low w/l and k/d and vice versa, because the ratios are based on your entire history while the PSR just keeps changing up and down based on ongoing performance.

The same is true for ELO as well. It's absolutely necessary to understand this difference if you want to have any kind of clue about matchmaker systems in general.

#22 Speedy Plysitkos

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationMech Junkyard

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:17 AM

how is it working ? BAD. T3 meet T1 wall. not fun, not competetive matches. nothing.

#23 Koniks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 08:32 AM

View PostSjorpha, on 12 November 2015 - 08:11 AM, said:

Neither win/loss ratio or Kill/death ratio is part of the system in any way shape or form.

Your PSR changes are based on winning and losing, and kills (plus many other things) are a factor. That is not the same as w/l and k/d ratio, which the system doesn't even know about.

It is possible to have a high tier and low w/l and k/d and vice versa, because the ratios are based on your entire history while the PSR just keeps changing up and down based on ongoing performance.

The same is true for ELO as well. It's absolutely necessary to understand this difference if you want to have any kind of clue about matchmaker systems in general.

OK, semantics. You're talking about edge cases. On balance, winning more than you lose, doing lots of damage, and getting kills will make your PSR go up.

Losing means you need about 300 match score not to drop in PSR and higher than that to go up in PSR.

The difference between Elo and PSR is that Elo is based solely on WL record but weighted against opponent strength. But likewise, having a losing record makes it difficult to go up in Elo unless you only lost matches you were predicted to lose and mostly played matches you were predicted to lose.

QED.

#24 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,477 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 12 November 2015 - 09:41 AM

View PostMizeur, on 12 November 2015 - 08:32 AM, said:

OK, semantics. You're talking about edge cases. On balance, winning more than you lose, doing lots of damage, and getting kills will make your PSR go up.

Losing means you need about 300 match score not to drop in PSR and higher than that to go up in PSR.

The difference between Elo and PSR is that Elo is based solely on WL record but weighted against opponent strength. But likewise, having a losing record makes it difficult to go up in Elo unless you only lost matches you were predicted to lose and mostly played matches you were predicted to lose.

QED.

Yeah, that's all true.

But the reason I think the distinction matters is because in games with a steep learning curve you may have quite a long newbie phase of absolutely atrocious results. That phase is reflected in your WLR and KDR for a long time after you've left that phase behind and become a good player. Skill progression trough training often shows up in bursts, it's not unusual for the results of hard training to finally pay out in a seemingly sudden way, KDR and WLR will never catch up all the way because the old results are there forever, but PSR or ELO (if it's working as intended) should catch up to reflect current performance relatively quickly.

So I think it's a little more than a nitpick actually, but even more important is creates false rumours about how the MM works. I've seen a lot of people here suffering from the delusion that the matchmakes knows your match history or stats, which it absolutely doesn't. It creates room for all kinds of wrong ideas and conspiracy theories.

Edited by Sjorpha, 12 November 2015 - 09:42 AM.

#25 meteorol

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,848 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 10:15 AM

It works like you would expect from an EXP bar. It's constantly increasing.
Because i do have a positive w/l (1.32), literally the only deciding factor when i'll hit t1 is my number of matches played. You can do as bad as you want in wins, your PSR will increase. As long as you win more than you lose, you are t1 material sooner or later.

Privat skill rating lol... more like privat match counter.

#26 AntleredCormorant

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:18 AM

I turned off the display when I realized it was based primarily on whether my team happens to win or lose. No idea what tier I'm at now & don't much care since it has very little to do with how I'm playing.

#27 El Bandito

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:37 AM

View Postmeteorol, on 12 November 2015 - 10:15 AM, said:

It works like you would expect from an EXP bar. It's constantly increasing.
Because i do have a positive w/l (1.32), literally the only deciding factor when i'll hit t1 is my number of matches played. You can do as bad as you want in wins, your PSR will increase. As long as you win more than you lose, you are t1 material sooner or later.

If one still has more than 1:1 WLR in T1 Solo-Q, then one is already skilled enough to be there. Group-Q is more tricky since it depends on the amount of pre-mades vs. soloers.

Edited by El Bandito, 12 November 2015 - 11:42 AM.

#28 5th Fedcom Rat

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 893 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 11:44 AM

There's not enough people playing atm for it to work well AT ALL.

#29 kf envy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 590 posts

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:16 PM

i was mid of tier 4 and stopped playing for an few weeks only to find that PGI dropped me to the bottom of tier 5 -_-....
its kinda cool getting 600 damage with the sad cat but dragging the team to victory my self has gotten to old.

so over all i day the the pilot skill rating sucks

#30 Weeny Machine

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 4,014 posts
  • LocationAiming for the flat top (B. Murray)

Posted 12 November 2015 - 12:41 PM

I am not sure but the new system seems to be no better than the other one. Currently I'd bet there are even more stomps. Most likely, though, the player pool is just too small.

Nevertheless I could bet that PGI has given me trained monkeys as teammates the last 15 matches. I think I had 1 victory, most of the rest were utter stomps. My teammonkeys died so quickly there was nothing that could be "carried". After 1 min or so it was 0:5 or worse and I just watched speechless how the drama unfolded. It is hard to carry the team anyway when you play mostly light mechs and that seems to be required of you once you hit the upper regions of the tier system regardless of mech class you play.

Heck, I have seen several heavies and assaults end the match with 100ish damage. Don't get me wrong. Everyone screws up now and then but whole lances of the team?!?! Oh, and excuse me for using the present perfect but I doubt the MM lets me out of his clutches anytime soon :(

Edited by Bush Hopper, 12 November 2015 - 12:42 PM.

#31 Simbacca

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 797 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:25 PM

View Postadamts01, on 11 November 2015 - 09:03 PM, said:

PSR is a joke. It's too easy to move up. But it doesn't matter as long as PGI keeps throwing tier 4s in my game anyway.

And funny thing is on a win, even doing really poor PSR never goes down. Sometimes it stays neutral, and other times it still goes up.

I literally have no idea how I even ended up in Tier 2.

#32 Druarc

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 180 posts
  • LocationWellington, NZ

Posted 12 November 2015 - 07:58 PM

The biggest issue in T5 is the randomness of the pug groups you can have a great match support your team mates and trade big damage but still get stomped because you've 1/2 a team that can't even hit a dire whale with a part of there alpha that's even when they know what it is. Or what the R key does.

#33 MW222

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 620 posts
  • LocationWay, Way Over there, Face North turn left or was that right?

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:18 AM

I was at zero (0) after killing my self with trying to master my ravens - RVN-3LC for the extra mod slot, climbing back out of T5 and I stopped. I played my other mechs I never did to well in and dropped again. I went back to the after patch reworked tried and trues and I have had top score and damage in quite a few games got a some 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 kill games.

So what's the morale here?

#1 Well don't bother buying any new mechs as the mastering them will (Unless you drop more money for more C bills to fix the basic load out BS or are really good with stock mechs.) most likely mess with your Tier rating. (If you even care about that any more, and now I don't.)

#2 Just play your best performing mech (s) but be ready to retool them when pgi decides to patch nerf them.

#3 Either stay where you are tier wise by DCing out of game modes you don't like ( I in no way recommend this but some times you just get fed up, I do not care for cw, I do not care for assault and I detest conquest especially now as we are forced in to it. Because theres nothing like a conquest game being played by people who don't want it and or don't know how to play it.) or grab a trail mech get hosed a game or two.

#4 Stay in a low tier and clean up on exp and c bills.

#5 After winning that mech in the next challenge don't bother with it. Strip everything out of it and when it shows up on the inventory sell it.

#6 Rinse and repeat working the quirks of the game and the mech.

Edited by MW222, 11 December 2015 - 09:14 PM.

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users