2 replies to this topic

#1 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 13 November 2015 - 01:49 AM

Hello out there, these are my 2 cents about what CW needs to become a vital gamemode with minimal effort for the devs.

The current model of units beeing able to capture vast amounts of planets is wrong, in my view. There will be always factions with less population than others and that leads to absurd results as seen in the current map. It doesn't help creating good matches and it feels very wrong seeing half of the innersphere beeing captured by any faction in only months.

My proposal:

Create hot zones along the borders between IS / Clan, IS / IS, Clan / Clan.
One permanent hot zone between IS and Clan, consisting of some planets (like 3,4 idk), is designated for constant struggle. Make capturing a planet a long campaign and winning a sector of a planet the equivalent of capturing a planet as it is now. Sectors wouldn't reset for ceasefire, but had to be reconquered.

Different "hot zones" can be established for a limited amount of time (eg Davion attacking Kurita or whatever), in which one faction (could be even coalitions (Davion-Steiner vs rest, wardens vs crusaders) is enabled to win a planet from another and is given like 3 days. This way there is constant possibility to play in the main "zone" for Pugs and groups alike, no mather the faction (IS / clan) and at the same time faction only operations along the small campaigns.

We need less planets to fight on, where more action packs and more meaning is given to.

Considering maps/planets:

We'll never have appropriate maps for all the planets and thus it soon feels dull dropping on the same planet in all the different maps. Which planet could look like this? Sorry to point this out again, but immersion is the thing we need more of.

Instead:

We need a spaceport map. I don't care to fight on the same map on all planets, if I'm able to make smth up about it in my mind. There are spaceports on most planets and most could look similar. It would always be the first sector to conquer on a planet and only if its fully captured, there can be skirmishes on the other maps we have. Add 3-4 of the existing maps to any "hot planet" and choose them that way, that they match (geological wise).

If a new map is made, say the spaceport, create 3 different versions of it. Fresh, damaged, almost destroyed. That would be less work than create 3 entirely new maps and adds a hell lot of right feelings to it. Which one would show up, would be determined by the amount of sectors conquered.

While you're on it make an industrial complex and a fortress too, please :)

My general aim is to concentrate the action in a smaller area with more incentive to play. Immersion is everything in CW and with just small actions you could make us the players dive into it willingly.

On a broader view:

Just an idea for the incomes of a unit. Every player should be able to create several dropdecks. Those mechs in the decks should be mirrored for CW, meaning you can play them in CW and still in the regular queue. Dropdecks should be prone to rearm & resupply, meaning you can't redrop with a single deck till its fully restored. Based on your performance, you'll gain x salvage points, which are used to repair your deck. If you do good enough, you'll be fine. If some amount is missing to fully restore your deck, you can pay it yourself or your unit. Thus a unit could use its coffers to quickly restore its decks. On a sidenote, maybe the repair could be linked to certain amount of time and the instant repair option only available to units.

Trial mechs would not have a need for resupply, making it new player friendly.
You can still drop in your other deck(s) - hopefully we'll see more different mechs then.

Would appreciate any feedback, cheers.

#2 Magna Canus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 715 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 13 November 2015 - 02:58 AM

Re. Hotzones/Fewer contested planets: I don't see the number of planets being contested as much of a problem as the number of players on the field. It does not matter if you have 2 or 200 planets out there if you don't have enough players contesting even a single planet in sufficient numbers. For those who play CW, you naturally attack or defend where you see opponents, everything else (besides when running a 12 man on attack) is a waste of time.

Consistent maps: Yes, that would be great if we had at least a consistent SET of maps for a planet of type x. Map production is so slow we probably wont get that this decade. Alternately we could use the "normal" maps for a 12v12 "standard" match (no 4x mechs). Either 4 maps for a zone 1 after the next, or maybe as a solo que alternative (e.g. CW with no teams for the die hard solo's).

Zones: The number of zones should reflect the size of the planet. Small planet = fewer zones, large planet = more zones.

Voting system: if voting system would make sense anywhere it would be in CW. Choose which sector to defend/counter attack/ attack / hold and not this alternating attack/hold crud.

Ghost drops: are a waste of time. Give me a "you win" screen and set me up for the next drop.

Rearm/Repair: is nice and all, but I'm not sure that a "mixed system" would be an elegant solution.

#3 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 13 November 2015 - 03:19 AM

Thanks for your additions, all great. The reduction in available planets is just for immersion and to hopefully get the player base closer together. And I don't like the easiness of planet capture.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users