33 replies to this topic

#1 Livewyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 14 November 2015 - 04:05 PM

Slightly adjusting the quirks (which make the live game so much fun...), reducing clan laser max range, reducing clan heatcap...

And reducing the Jesus Box Radius by 90m.

Steam is going to lurv you.

Edited by Livewyr, 15 November 2015 - 05:51 AM.

#2 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:00 PM

They also reduced 3x firepower quirks to just below 2x, for the most part.

cXL change has been asked for, but they haven't looked at the isXL or STD buffs yet.

#3 BlueFlames

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Clamps
  • 327 posts

Posted 14 November 2015 - 05:37 PM

I think that PGI has been doing a lot right, this time out. Rather than pushing huge changes through on the live server, they've made loads of changes on PTS and gathered feedback, and on the live servers, they are going to make incremental changes, where that is possible. Comparing the current methodology to that used for the PPC and Clan ER laser duration nerfs, where they were halving projectile speeds, doubling beam durations, and basically rendering weapons useless, until they finally decided to step things back, I'm glad that the devs are taking this approach.

The other thing to remember about PTS 4 is that it is omitting a major gameplay system that will be added in the final rebalance. The full rebalance will include the subtle quirk and weapon changes, and the final version of the expanded information warfare system. I do hope that there is a final PTS phase that includes all of the changes running simultaneously, but for now, it looks like they want to test the quirk and weapon differences in isolation of the information warfare changes. Saying that small quirk changes are all that PGI have come up with is rather misrepresentative.

For myself, I like that IS quirk changes are dialing back the emphasis on specific weapons. The old quirks kind of punished players who wanted to do anything but boat weapons matching their chassis' quirks. That is lessened by having, for example, a big heat gen quirk for energy weapons, and a smaller heat gen quirk for a specific weapon.

#4 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:54 AM

Explain to me why they didn't keep the ECM change?

#5 AbyssalTyrant

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 120 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 09:48 AM

Because they removed all the info tech aspects from the pts. Its still probably going to make it in just not until the rest of it is ready.

#6 DivineEvil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • IS Exemplar
  • IS Exemplar
  • 903 posts
  • LocationRussian Federation, Moscow

Posted 15 November 2015 - 02:25 PM

I'm more or less fine with the changes as they're coming at this moment.

The most disappointing thing for me here, is that PGi haven't been able to figure out some general balancing changes, so that Quirks could've been used specifically to differentiate between mechs and variants and toning up the ones which are oversized, limited, have less hardpoints etc. Quirks essentialy remain as the general method of IS/Clan balancing.

Besides, I really held hopes for PGI to specify some philosophy behind the quirks given to mechs, such as researching the roles those mechs were designed for. This would result in mechs of the same tonnage being drastically different and useful for separate goals, such as generally giving durability to Centurions, firepower to Hunchbacks, mobility to Enforcers, sensors to Trebuchets, and using only 20-30% of quirks to differentiate between their variants, and different mixes of those to each variant of Crabs. As it looks like, all mech are going to have some of everything stuck into each variant. There will be favorable variants, but mechs themselves will remain faceless.

Oh well... I guess while using quirks as primary IS/Clan balance tool, these differences are unobtainable due to overall higher values that would need to be put into much fewer quirks...

Edited by DivineEvil, 15 November 2015 - 02:27 PM.

#7 Kalagaeth Peledaen

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 14 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 03:06 PM

Honestly I've become increasingly discontent with the changes. Why not roll back all the clan gear? Just leave us with IS tech and stop making clan tech weaker than IS. Explain why IS LRM's are going to fire faster? Clan Tech was supposed to be better, and the way it was countered was with numbers, subterfuge and ambushes, not back end nerfs rendering it useless. *shrug* I've lost count of the number of times I've rolled around a corner and walked into a lance of IS mechs with my Diashi... and had to click the spectate button.

#8 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 04:52 PM

So irrelevant changes and the game we have is.... it. All that mwo is going to be. Yay stagnation? It's going to burn on Steam. What a waste of effort.

#9 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:00 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 15 November 2015 - 04:52 PM, said:

So irrelevant changes and the game we have is.... it. All that mwo is going to be. Yay stagnation? It's going to burn on Steam. What a waste of effort.

Regardless of the "laser lock" non-change (which isn't all cracked up to be either), that's kinda what PGI is mostly capable of.

If you're expecting innovation... you're not going to find it here....

#10 MischiefSC

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:18 PM

Laser lock was a solid concept. Convergence was a better choice, complications aside but it was a new and useful approach to balance.

Quirks are ****. We already know that. Going back to quirks = balance is saying the game is **** and will never be anything but ****.

#11 Fiona Marshe

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 756 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 15 November 2015 - 05:44 PM

My conclusion: the PTS installer is borked.

Every time I try (no matter the destination folder) it tells me I already have a copy installed and it closes.

#12 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 16 November 2015 - 07:14 PM

View PostMischiefSC, on 15 November 2015 - 05:18 PM, said:

Laser lock was a solid concept. Convergence was a better choice, complications aside but it was a new and useful approach to balance.

Quirks are ****. We already know that. Going back to quirks = balance is saying the game is **** and will never be anything but ****.

I like quirks. They make the game spicy and fun.

#13 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:00 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 November 2015 - 07:14 PM, said:

I like quirks. They make the game spicy and fun.

Yeah.. we all love "The Hills have Stalkers" in Community Warfare.. such spice.

#14 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:12 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 16 November 2015 - 09:00 PM, said:

Yeah.. we all love "The Hills have Stalkers" in Community Warfare.. such spice.

That is so foreign to me. Tell me, are Stalkers still a thing? Don't even notice them in the public queue. Stalker 4N has pretty weak quirks, and they got weaker on this PTS so..

#15 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:15 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 November 2015 - 09:12 PM, said:

That is so foreign to me. Tell me, are Stalkers still a thing? Don't even notice them in the public queue. Stalker 4N has pretty weak quirks, and they got weaker on this PTS so..

Play CW for a while.. when you find a tryhard team.. it's going to be FS9, STK, and (right now) TDR.

#16 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:18 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 16 November 2015 - 09:15 PM, said:

Play CW for a while.. when you find a tryhard team.. it's going to be FS9, STK, and (right now) TDR.

And when you play a clan team you have timber wolves, hellbringers, ebon jags, cheetahs and stormcrows, so what's the problem? You think those IS mechs are harder to fight or something?

#17 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:19 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 November 2015 - 09:18 PM, said:

And when you play a clan team you have timber wolves, hellbringers, ebon jags, cheetahs and stormcrows, so what's the problem? You think those IS mechs are harder to fight or something?

5 out of 17 chassis for clans
3 out of how many chassis/variants for IS?

#18 Gas Guzzler

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,254 posts

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:26 PM

View PostLivewyr, on 16 November 2015 - 09:19 PM, said:

5 out of 17 chassis for clans
3 out of how many chassis/variants for IS?

And the latest PTS nerfed the TDR-5SS, Stalker 4N, and FS9 to a very small degree, so there ya go ;)

Seriously? If you didn't like the lack of variety, then you should be happy about the quirk pass, there seems to be a lot more good options.

You aren't being very generous, there are WVR-6Ks, Ravens, and probably BJ-1X's as well from what I remember about CW. And some Dragon-1Ns here and there but those aren't going to be used any more. If more people were smart they would be using QKD-5Ks too.

Oh don't forget BLR-1S's on Boreal

Edited by Gas Guzzler, 16 November 2015 - 09:27 PM.

#19 Livewyr

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 6,733 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 16 November 2015 - 09:27 PM

View PostGas Guzzler, on 16 November 2015 - 09:26 PM, said:

And the latest PTS nerfed the TDR-5SS, Stalker 4N, and FS9 to a very small degree, so there ya go ;)

Seriously? If you didn't like the lack of variety, then you should be happy about the quirk pass, there seems to be a lot more good options.

You aren't being very generous, there are WVR-6Ks, Ravens, and probably BJ-1X's as well from what I remember about CW. And some Dragon-1Ns here and there but those aren't going to be used any more.

Oh don't forget BLR-1S's on Boreal

Yeah.. we'll see how the "Variety" turns out.

#20 Aym

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3,041 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 16 November 2015 - 10:43 PM

View PostKalagaeth Peledaen, on 15 November 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

Honestly I've become increasingly discontent with the changes....Clan Tech was supposed to be better, and the way it was countered was with numbers, subterfuge and ambushes, .... *shrug* I've lost count of the number of times I've rolled around a corner and walked into a lance of IS mechs with my Diashi... and had to click the spectate button.

So your Clam Mech got ambushed by greater numbers of IS and you lost... yet this is a problem for you? If we go with your ideas for balance where a single clammer mech rounds a corner and beats a whole lance of IS mechs. That doesn't sound fun for the IS pilots, unlikely to promote gameplay and enhance the audience/player base for MWO and keep making money so MWO can continue to exist...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users