Fix. The. Damn. Qp. Group Ques.

13 replies to this topic

#1 MechTech Dragoon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 308 posts

Posted 03 August 2019 - 11:47 AM

Pretty self explanatory. I dont give a **** what you do. Merge solo qp, use the fp group creation system whatever.
Most of the units on my disc list, including my own, are effectively falling apart. In part due to yknow...development for the game slowing to a crawl, but majorly the fact that....we cant fuckjng group and play.

People have been talking and posting and bitching about this on reddit, fb, the forums, Twitter.

This is a simple cause an effect...small groups of friends are what form up larger groups. If small groups cant play , large groups dont form outside of large pre-organized events. Theres no point in a multiplayer game that you cant play with a friend.
Could ya fix it before my unit officially gives up please? Or atleast tell us all to **** ourselves, atleast thatd be something.

#2 K4t4k1s

• PipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 24 posts

Posted 04 August 2019 - 06:44 AM

Yes, same experience here. I‘d like to play with my old enough daughter, but we‘re trying the weekend effortlessly, to play one match together.
Besides trying to have fun with MWO along with your kids, I totally agree to the bad effect on the community.

Communication has never been the best skill from PGI so far.

#3 Raptor007

• PipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 21 posts
  • LocationSeattle, WA, USA

Posted 16 August 2019 - 01:38 PM

I completely agree. My friends got into MWO because it was a game we could play together, but that's no longer true with the ridiculous group wait time, so they don't play anymore.

Groups of 2-4 should be considered for both solo and group matchmaking. That's the easy fix to let us play with friends again, and it is desperately needed now.

#4 HardDrive

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 156 posts
  • LocationSan Antonio, Texas

Posted 17 August 2019 - 04:30 AM

Indeed, its beyond foolish that when you have 2 or 3 people and you try to group and que you sit and wait for 20+ minutes, but you drop group and sync que you all end up on the same team (sometimes opposite teams) with a almost instant que...

#5 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 August 2019 - 11:33 AM

It is more about the group sizes and population of the actual group queue at the time a team queues up for it.

View PostTarl Cabot, on 15 August 2019 - 05:06 PM, said:

See below, include time of day also, and how long they are willing to wait for a drop. And once players have been bitten by the not-getting-a-groupdrop-today bug, fewer players group up. And obviously there aren't 12x 2-man attempting to drop at the same time. Nor is there anything to indicate if anyone is actually queue'd up in the group queue.

Population and tons of different and separate queues. And group queue does not have any solo pugs to "fill" in the spots.

Group size requirements and this is for BOTH sides..... And PSR is out the door after 30secs.

12-man makes up one side, then only need the other 12-man to be matched up, or a combination of the following....
10-man requires a 2-man
9-man requires 3-man
8-man requires 4-man or 2x2-man
7-man requires 5-man or 3+2-man
6-man requires 6-man, 4+2-man or 3x2-man or 2x3-man
5-man requires 7-man, 5+2-man, 3-man+2x2-man
4-man requires 8-man, or 6+2-man, or 5+3-man or 2x4-man or 4x2-man
3-man requires 9-man, or 7+2-man, or 6+3-man, or 5+4-man, or 5+2x2-man, or 3+3x2-man
2-man...etc...

And the above has to be done for BOTH sides, which is the reason many suggest dropping in a larger group, to be less of a gap filler. Of course, it would also mean that there are not 12 2-man dropping at the same time, there is no actual incentive, and once it is attempted a few times one who is less enthusiasm about MWO then stops playing. A vicious cycle.

Would allowing solo pugs (max 3 per side) and/or 2-man to opt into the other queue without opt out of their default queue help? Go with the solo pugs into group first, may allow for fillers but until there is something else in place to actually encourage players forming up teams for other than FP, I do not see it changing too much. Maybe reduce the max group size for the teams down to 8-man.

/shrugs....

#6 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 22 August 2019 - 06:42 PM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 18 August 2019 - 11:33 AM, said:

It is more about the group sizes and population of the actual group queue at the time a team queues up for it.

Based on a few of the other treads around the place it now seems that there is only a short period in the 24 hr block where it is reliable enough to get some games in group queue.
In AU prime time it's been next to impossible for over a year and many units have disappeared.
Now we are starting to see posts about the EU having difficulty.

Personally I think the solo and group queues for quick play should be merged again with a few amendments.
  • Limit groups to a maximum of 4.
  • If Faction Play is meant to prioritize the groups, then make quick play prioritize the solos.
  • Allow smaller team sizes to cater for fluctuations in the population in the queue. We seem to be able to do this in the private lobby, I have no idea why there is no flexibility to allow for it in quick play (or Faction Play for that matter).
If it wasn't time to return to the single server to condense the population and therefore the queues, it's beyond time for doing this now. If we can only reliably get games with NA on NA then the AU and EU servers surely can no longer be justified for the size of the player base.

#7 LastActionHobbit

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
  • LocationBristol, UK.

Posted 24 August 2019 - 03:00 AM

We in AMOC are also getting bored of waiting in group queue. Instead we resort to sync dropping which just isn't as fun and too random.

Merging the queues would seem like a good solution.

#8 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 06:02 AM

lol maintenance mode

Dumb idea merging group Que with Solo quick

it would just kill solo queue and thus the game faster.

#9 50 50

• 2,145 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 04:04 PM

And yet in another thread @Oz you commented that the queues are already merged because players can't get a game in group queue so they sync drop in solo.

It's a bit of a chicken or egg first problem and there have been numerous posts suggesting either:
a. Allow small groups into solo queue
b. Allow solo players to opt into group queue
c. Or merge the queues

IF
a. Small groups were allowed into solo queue.
You would expect that might improve wait times and getting matches bit as it draws more players into a single queue.
On the other hand, it does take those players out of the group queue having the opposite effect there.
We could probably expect larger units to sync drop to get games, but not necessarily players who just like to group up trying to sync drop.
One side effect might be that getting some smaller groups into the battles is that might bring back more of a team focus and tactics.
Perhaps this could also be an 'opt in to solo' option that is available according to group size so if there is nothing going on in group queue, a small group will drop in solo.
b. Solo players opting into group queue.
It might help fill some gaps, but if recent experience and posts are anything to go by it would seem that there are not enough players in group queue to begin with and this option may just be too late to reverse that problem.
Say there was though.
Group play was the next level up in terms of skill. This suggestion would allow players to kick off their experience in solo and provide a way to start getting experience in a group environment. It is a really good idea. Could have provided a natural progression. Could have 'unlocked' after a player reached a certain rank or something.
It might just be too late now and as it draws players from one queue to another, it has that same issue as option a. except that when there are enough players in the group queue you might suddenly get a game.
c. Merging the queues.
The primary benefit here is that there is no split of the player base across two different queues. Everyone is in the one queue which means less wait times.
This option seems the simplest as it would appear not to require changes to the match maker to include new options to check another queue to create a match like an 'opt in' function would.
I can understand the concern about players just wanting to have some games and not get rolfstomped by a 12 player group on the other side every match, especially if the numbers are so low that there is no other options for an opponent.
However, we could also suggest that a large group should be getting directed towards Faction Play as 'the group mode'.

Given current payer numbers and how it is getting difficult to get games in any mode, to be able to play the game 24/7 going forward, being able to simply get a game is something that needs to be addressed.

Personally, at this late stage of the games' life merging the queues but limiting group size in quick play seems like the compromise. If players want to form larger groups then the quick play option should get disabled when they exceed the group size limit in the group screen to direct them towards Faction Play instead.

#10 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 August 2019 - 07:27 PM

Im fine with sync dropping, just not merging que's

Besides you group guys have had years of fun , clubbing

Ain't been so fun for many solo's due to crappy match maker, I don't wanna increase their pain with groups.

And solo queue is the largest que by far

Dont want to see it go the way of the dodo, or group queue or Faction Que, that's why.

Edit: playing at non peak time increases the chance of successfully sync dropping

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 24 August 2019 - 08:13 PM.

#11 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 25 August 2019 - 05:38 AM

View PostOZHomerOZ, on 24 August 2019 - 06:02 AM, said:

lol maintenance mode

Dumb idea merging group Que with Solo quick

it would just kill solo queue and thus the game faster.

I do agree, merging the two queues completely is not the way to go.

#12 50 50

• 2,145 posts

Posted 26 August 2019 - 03:02 PM

Remove the restrictions on team size so it's more flexible and therefore might cater for smaller numbers of players in the queue?

#13 WREQUIEM

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2 posts

Posted 27 August 2019 - 03:05 PM

I need to find games while grouped, can we merge the quickplay and group queues?

#14 Dalvarius

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 31 August 2019 - 07:59 AM

I've recruited multiple friends to this game but all have quit because it takes over 15 minutes to get a match together! Takes about a minute in solo and often times we'll just click join at the same time in hopes to be on the same team........ Sometimes we are, sometimes we fight each other, and other times we get put into different matches. Not conducive to bringing friends into the game to help grow the player base. It did not used to be this terrible.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users