Bj-1X Quirks In Pts4

8 replies to this topic

#1 Prof RJ Gumby

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 07:31 AM

IMHO 1X was always the best blackjack and a very capable mech overall. Can't go wrong with 8 very high mounted energy hardpoints. It also has the best engine cap of all blackjacks (thus is the most mobile one too, reaching oveer 115km/h), and good quirks on top of that. It's MLs have 350m of range with range module, and you can mount 8 of them. 8x med laser or 6xML, 2xMPL with minimal face time rules. It's not that popular, because it's a 45-tonner, but IMHO it's easily tier 1 mech. You can even alpha that 8MLs repeatedly on cold maps, the penalty is not that big.

PTS4 gives 1X the best quirks again. Energy range, energy cooldown, energy heat generation - all still here. Plus the best accel/decel quirks of all BJs (on top of the best engine cap!) and all the very generous all-around structure buffs all BJs got (+28 on central torso alone, on a 45-tonner!).

Well, it's hard to test properly with 4x4 and tons of trolls in quickdraws, but it seems either the quirks of the 1X are too strong, or the quirks of all the other BJs are too weak.

So either all other BJs should get even better quirks, or the BJX should get weaker ones. Maybe a bit less of that structure bonuses, as it's the fastests and nimblest blackjack anyway, or maybe no accel/decel quirks to boost his superior mobility even further?

TL,DR: IMHO PTS4 keeps BJ1X as hands down best blackjack, far better than any other BJ chassis and overall a bit overpowered mech.

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 17 November 2015 - 07:34 AM.

#2 SlightlyMobileTurret

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Lance Corporal
  • 718 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 08:04 AM

View PostProf RJ Gumby, on 17 November 2015 - 07:31 AM, said:

IMHO 1X was always the best blackjack and a very capable mech overall. Can't go wrong with 8 very high mounted energy hardpoints. It also has the best engine cap of all blackjacks (thus is the most mobile one too, reaching oveer 115km/h), and good quirks on top of that. It's MLs have 350m of range with range module, and you can mount 8 of them. 8x med laser or 6xML, 2xMPL with minimal face time rules. It's not that popular, because it's a 45-tonner, but IMHO it's easily tier 1 mech. You can even alpha that 8MLs repeatedly on cold maps, the penalty is not that big.

PTS4 gives 1X the best quirks again. Energy range, energy cooldown, energy heat generation - all still here. Plus the best accel/decel quirks of all BJs (on top of the best engine cap!) and all the very generous all-around structure buffs all BJs got (+28 on central torso alone, on a 45-tonner!).

Well, it's hard to test properly with 4x4 and tons of trolls in quickdraws, but it seems either the quirks of the 1X are too strong, or the quirks of all the other BJs are too weak.

So either all other BJs should get even better quirks, or the BJX should get weaker ones. Maybe a bit less of that structure bonuses, as it's the fastests and nimblest blackjack anyway, or maybe no accel/decel quirks to boost his superior mobility even further?

TL,DR: IMHO PTS4 keeps BJ1X as hands down best blackjack, far better than any other BJ chassis and overall a bit overpowered mech.

You have my sympathies for getting frequently twoshotted. It only happened to me twice, so it's not as painful as what you had to undergo.

It seems like all the ******* are getting on my team now.

You are splendid in the BJ-1X.

Edited by Keshav Murali, 17 November 2015 - 08:05 AM.

#3 toastybacon

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 10:46 AM

I think a very fair adjustment would be removing all accel/decel quriks because the larger engine should be enough to keep it on par with other blackjacks and their smaller engines with quirked accel/decel (their jumpjets also help with mobility).

+28 structure is only one more low alpha strike, so its not as much structure as it seems, and compared to other medium mechs that also got structure buffs, it still has less hitpoints than them.

Keep in mind that the heat is higher than before, so its not a complete buff.

Edited by toastybacon, 17 November 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#4 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:13 PM

View Posttoastybacon, on 17 November 2015 - 10:46 AM, said:

I think a very fair adjustment would be removing all accel/decel quriks because the larger engine should be enough to keep it on par with other blackjacks and their smaller engines with quirked accel/decel (their jumpjets also help with mobility).
+28 structure is only one more low alpha strike, so its not as much structure as it seems, and compared to other medium mechs that also got structure buffs, it still has less hitpoints than them.
Keep in mind that the heat is higher than before, so its not a complete buff.

"Structure not big" - only one hunchie got bigger buffs. Yeah, BJ's altogether have less hit points, but also are lighter (engine for speed advantage) and require least exposure to do alphas.

As to heat - Did the nerf to heat skills got to this PSR? Did not notice any mention about it... or do you have something else in mind?
(checking)
Checked it. There is in fact some nerf to the heat, but the BJ1X got in turn a bump of the Energy Heat Gen quirk. A small one, (-10% to -15%), but enough to almost neuter the heat difference. Difference in alphaing from the same 8ml BJ1X on the live server and PTS on terra therma is 2%. (54% PTS vs 52% Live). And that's an alpha on a super hot map with ghost heat triggered!

I would say less structure buffs + no accel/decel quirks. BJ3 could use such accel/decel buffs, since it's designed for PPCs that have a minimum range...

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 17 November 2015 - 12:14 PM.

#5 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 17 November 2015 - 12:42 PM

I've enjoyed the Blackjacks because one can come up with decent and varied builds for each variant.
Whether you like ppc's, an ac20, or lots of medium lasers, you can do it in Blackjack.

The BJ-1X was really fun with that initial LPL quirk, but I guess it was too much fun as PGI made that go away.
Not sure I'd call it the best Blackjack, as I tend to prefer jump jets over speed in this mech, but that's just it.... there is a Blackjack for everyone.

Looking forward to blowing the dust off my dual PPC BJ3 after the next round of quirk adjustments.

#6 L3mming2

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:02 PM

the BJ-1X is good but i would not call it op, it got a hit when the mpl joined the ghost heat group.. so if you take that in to account along the 5% heat gen quirk it lost (in total) for ml it runs significantllly hotter then it did before, (so when you dont look at the structure quirks it got nerfed)
the structure quirks are a bit high, but they are the same for all bj...

#7 Quicksilver Aberration

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nightmare
  • The Nightmare
  • 11,740 posts
  • LocationKansas City, MO

Posted 17 November 2015 - 02:24 PM

View PostL3mming2, on 17 November 2015 - 02:02 PM, said:

the BJ-1X is good but i would not call it op, it got a hit when the mpl joined the ghost heat group.. so if you take that in to account along the 5% heat gen quirk it lost (in total) for ml it runs significantllly hotter then it did before, (so when you dont look at the structure quirks it got nerfed)
the structure quirks are a bit high, but they are the same for all bj...

You forget though, while it took a hit for the 6 ML-2 MPL build, it gained a significant amount of structure (pretty much double what it has in live) and also lost the ML specific quirks making things like LPL/LL much more viable on it.

The BJ-1X in live is the only thing that gives the WVR-6K a run for its money as top medium, and the only reason it generally loses is because typical engagements occur outside the 1X's effective range which limit it. With the ability to utilize LL/LPLs better though, that limitation is not quite there, and with the 6K taking a hit with DPS, this thing is pretty impressive, regardless of the ghost heat change.

#8 Widowmaker1981

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 5,031 posts
  • LocationAt the other end of the pretty lights.

Posted 19 November 2015 - 04:03 AM

Why the hell does whoever does the quirking have such a gigantic hard-on for Blackjacks?

The vindicator is clearly a much worse mech (same engine caps, same tonnage, massively worse hardpoint location and numbers, and much worse scaling), so why does it also have worse quirks? Utterly nonsensical. Those crazytown structure quirks should be on the Vindi, which needs them. Not the Blackjack, which doesnt.

#9 White Bear 84

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 12:31 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 19 November 2015 - 04:03 AM, said:

The vindicator is clearly a much worse mech (same engine caps, same tonnage, massively worse hardpoint location and numbers, and much worse scaling), so why does it also have worse quirks? Utterly nonsensical. Those crazytown structure quirks should be on the Vindi, which needs them. Not the Blackjack, which doesnt.

As part of this weekends challenge I bought and levelled up the vindies, by far the best is actualy the SIB imo, they definitely deserve a lot more love than the black jacks at least... ...definitely moreso than the 1X. It would be nice to see the other BJ's on par with the 1X though, I think its a little bit too good, but just a little...

Edited by White Bear 84, 29 November 2015 - 12:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users