Not Enough Ammo?

31 replies to this topic

Poll: Since many mechs got more armor and/or structure, should the ballistics get more ammo per ton? (41 member(s) have cast votes)

Since many mechs got more armor and/or structure, should the ballistics get more ammo per ton?

1. Yes, a little buff like +10dmg/ton would be good (6 votes [14.63%])

Percentage of vote: 14.63%

2. Yes, but more than +10dmg/ton (26 votes [63.41%])

Percentage of vote: 63.41%

3. No, ACs could use an indirect nerf (9 votes [21.95%])

Percentage of vote: 21.95%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 cazidin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 4,259 posts

Posted 20 November 2015 - 03:20 PM

If PGI increases ammo/ton they should also look at buffing MGs and LB-X ACs.

#22 L3mming2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,304 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 02:48 AM

i realy hope PGI has a look at this poll, it is starting to look like a big majority of ppl want more ammo.. most a load more..

#23 B L O O D W I T C H

• 2,426 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:49 AM

View PostWidowmaker1981, on 19 November 2015 - 07:49 AM, said:

You misunderstand.

Say a Mauler with 6 AC5s..

To be fair, 30 FLPD every 1 1/2 seconds point and click lolpha shouldn't be any more easy mode than it already is.

#24 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:46 AM

View PostLOADED, on 23 November 2015 - 03:49 AM, said:

To be fair, 30 FLPD every 1 1/2 seconds point and click lolpha shouldn't be any more easy mode than it already is.

Dude, that was figurative. There is no 30FLPD every 1 1/2 seconds in this game. No mech can fit 6xAC5 effectively. Mauler is the only one that could physically fit them (the only one that have enough place/hardpoints), but they're still to big and heavy to actually make any sense. A troll build, nothing else.

Just look: http://mwo.smurfy-ne...3829ed344c5b8c4
Slower than the direwolf, hard-locked max possible damage at 750 (ammo, considering you'll hit with every shot), no armor on the arms, sub par armor on the legs (say hello to ammo explosions). What a meta.

Only the Direwolf can mount 6x (u)ac5 effectively, nothing else. Even DW can do it only because Dire is 100 tons and clan ACs are lighter.

I don't like using argumentum at personam, but it seems you're just biased.

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 23 November 2015 - 06:48 AM.

#25 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 November 2015 - 06:54 AM

To run out of ammo should be the norm not the exception.

I can life with an increase of ammo per ton - but for a price. The price is you can't add more than 200% of the stock ammo load of your mech.
So ...2tons for the Rifleman, 6tons for the JaegerMech...6tons for the King Crab.

#26 Bendram

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • 5 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 08:09 AM

Ammo needs definatly a buff!

Right now i have several Mechs carrying 11 tons of Ammo and they still run out.
In TT 3 Tons of AC20-ammo was concidered "plenty", while right now even on the live servers with 5 tons in my Victor i count every shot,

So PGI do it, do it, just do it ^^

Ben

#27 Jabilac

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 172 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ohio, USA

Posted 23 November 2015 - 12:25 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 23 November 2015 - 06:54 AM, said:

To run out of ammo should be the norm not the exception.

I can life with an increase of ammo per ton - but for a price. The price is you can't add more than 200% of the stock ammo load of your mech.
So ...2tons for the Rifleman, 6tons for the JaegerMech...6tons for the King Crab.

2 tons of ammo max? who would do that? Why gimp ammo dependent mechs more? Why cut down on customization options when its better to increase them? Right now lighter mechs use lasers because there is no hard cap on how much damage they could do. Why bring a 8 ton gun with 2 tons ammo (10 tons total) and be capped at 300 damage MAX when you could bring lasers and have no damage cap... Sure it sounds bad on heavier mech cause they can bring more damage but in reality they are limited at a max damage output, which means they can only deliver so much damage at any time based on hardpoints.

Increased ammo per ton would allow heavier mechs to carry more damage but not deliver it any faster then they do currently and it would increase the viability of those mechs that are limited to B/M hardpoints only. Increase ammo to 200 damage per ton for AC's (except for AC/20 and Gauss)

#28 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 23 November 2015 - 11:53 PM

View PostJabilac, on 23 November 2015 - 12:25 PM, said:

2 tons of ammo max? who would do that? Why gimp ammo dependent mechs more? Why cut down on customization options when its better to increase them? Right now lighter mechs use lasers because there is no hard cap on how much damage they could do. Why bring a 8 ton gun with 2 tons ammo (10 tons total) and be capped at 300 damage MAX when you could bring lasers and have no damage cap... Sure it sounds bad on heavier mech cause they can bring more damage but in reality they are limited at a max damage output, which means they can only deliver so much damage at any time based on hardpoints.

Increased ammo per ton would allow heavier mechs to carry more damage but not deliver it any faster then they do currently and it would increase the viability of those mechs that are limited to B/M hardpoints only. Increase ammo to 200 damage per ton for AC's (except for AC/20 and Gauss)

granted the current weapon balancing of MWO is bad - and when i say bad i really mean bad
It uses the wrong values, it modifies the wrong values and make them even worser.
It cuts one of the balancing factor (heat) and even add quirks to remove it even more

in a much better "perfect" setting even a light mech could think about a AC 2 - simple because its range and rate of fire would simply outclass any energy weapon at the same weight - not to mention that any PPC at this size will have disadvantages.

In this perfect system even shooting one large laser with just 10 DHS would cause some negative heat effects, while firing a burst of small shells would not.
So ACs would grant players to deal damage over a constant time at the beginning of a battle - but when they shot all their ammunition on every target of opportunity they have to run out, at the end of battle and then they have to fear a Catapult with just 1 small laser

Anyhow MWO is far from perfect - so yes increase the ammo if you like, increase the velocity if you need - you can't break whats already broken

#29 Prof RJ Gumby

• The People's Hero
  • 1,061 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:29 AM

Karl, nobody will rearrange the game from scratch just so it fits your vision. There's like 1000 other visions out there. And there won't be any "I run out of ammo constantly" builds, simply because nobody would play such builds. People will either strip everything there's left to strip out of the mech to fit enough ammo or just abandon (u)ACs and ballistic mechs completely. People won't use mechs that suck and/or let the pilot down in important moments because it fits somebody's vision of BT.

Ballistics are overall inferior to lasers, many people use them because they're fun (dakka) and not that much inferior to lasers/gauss+lasers to not stand a chance, like srms/MGs/Flamers. That said, this thread is not even about buffing the ballistics, it's about facilitating an indirect nerf that could possibly make ACs end up as useful and popular as MGs are now.

Edited by Prof RJ Gumby, 24 November 2015 - 10:50 AM.

#30 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 24 November 2015 - 04:03 PM

So something like:

Gauss: 12 per ton
AC20: 8 per ton
AC10: 20 per ton
(U)AC5: 40 per ton
AC2: 100 per ton

As for missiles, I'd rather just increase their damage and reduce their ROF as necessary.

#31 PraetorGix

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 738 posts
  • LocationHere at home

Posted 28 November 2015 - 04:12 PM

I think they cannot add more ammo to ballistic weapons as long as Clan mechs keep being such glass cannons. Yeah you now have enuff ammo to kill an Atlas, but the poor guy who faces you in a Warhawk or Whale is gonna be destroyed in 2 seconds.

Edited by Cmdr Hurrell, 28 November 2015 - 04:13 PM.

#32 aniviron

• 3,752 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:55 PM

Ahah, these poll options are hilarious.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users