Gameplay

45 replies to this topic

#21 Tuis Ryche

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 324 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 03:16 PM

Ah, you know, it *is* possible to run OOB accidentally...and I've seen one do so on purpose, but with the added bonus of overzealous pursuers. It was quite hilarious.

#22 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:00 AM

View PostTyler Valentine, on 24 November 2015 - 10:06 AM, said:

Sometimes, in an untenable position, going out in a blaze of glory is the best thing you can do for the team. There shouldn't be a penalty for getting off one more alpha before you're focus fired down.

I agree, but who says you need to blow yourself up when you do that? I do that plenty of times without blowing myself up.

#23 Raggedyman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,278 posts
  • LocationFreedonia Institute of Mech Husbandry

Posted 25 November 2015 - 04:43 AM

View PostTalorien, on 24 November 2015 - 05:54 AM, said:

Multiple games where I'm about to kill a Mech and it dies by overheating. Lame.

Two games where ACH ran straight off Caustic to deny other team a kill. Super lame.

Kill in these cases should go to player with most damage dealt (can even be the suicider). Other suicide penalties should remain in place.

Should increase player satisfaction and reduce trolling behaviour.

As someone who sometimes cooks off due to overenthusiastic gunnery and has occasionally run out of bounds due to being attacked by my cat I don't think it's fair to label all suicides as trolling. However I think giving the most damage dealt (and possible a kill assist) reward is a stonker of an idea.

#24 Jae Hyun Nakamura

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 288 posts
  • LocationMarburg

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:34 AM

Maybe we should penalize everything? Maybe penalize being in a game? Or pls just penelize the one runnung into my mech? If you penalize everyrhing, you have to worry and cry about nothing ;)

What a wonderful world this could be....with more penalties.

#25 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 05:53 AM

No problem with that if the enemy fights me and dies overheating. Especially if he is outgunned. But i dont give a sh... about kills anyway so thats just my 2 cents.

#26 Ghogiel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • CS 2021 Gold Champ
  • 6,852 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:46 AM

Yep. Kill most damage delt should be given in the event of enemy TKs and suicides.

Also along with the TK penalty there should be a suicide penalty.

Ironically it is the mind set of the farmer to deny kills not the other way round.

#27 0bsidion

• 1,653 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:36 AM

Two games where ACH ran straight off Caustic to deny other team a kill. Super lame.

Kill in these cases should go to player with most damage dealt (can even be the suicider). Other suicide penalties should remain in place.

While I disagree that this is necessarily trolling, I do agree the kill should go to most damage dealt. If I die to suicide it's either because I want to go down fighting and hit my override button, or once in a while I accidentally drift out of bounds and can't make it back into bounds before I explode.

Anyway both of those are pretty rare for me, and aren't intended to be trolling.

#28 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:43 AM

View PostJae Hyun Nakamura, on 25 November 2015 - 05:34 AM, said:

Maybe we should penalize everything? Maybe penalize being in a game? Or pls just penelize the one runnung into my mech? If you penalize everyrhing, you have to worry and cry about nothing ;)

What a wonderful world this could be....with more penalties.

Since people are going the extreme end, here is my take ...

Winners take all. Losers get only a lump of coal.

#29 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:44 AM

Well... No... I think whoever inflicted the last damage should get the kill, and whoever inflicted the most damage should get that most damage bonus.

The most important thing is that suiciding should count as a death on your statistics. The second most important is assigning a kill to their death. Kills are almost always assigned to whoever inflicts the last damage.

#30 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:49 AM

View PostProsperity Park, on 25 November 2015 - 09:44 AM, said:

Well... No... I think whoever inflicted the last damage should get the kill, and whoever inflicted the most damage should get that most damage bonus.

The most important thing is that suiciding should count as a death on your statistics. The second most important is assigning a kill to their death. Kills are almost always assigned to whoever inflicts the last damage.

I am fine with suicide counting as a death, for obvious reasons.

As for the "kill" going to the last person to do damage? No. That basically redefines what a "killing blow" means.

#31 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:55 AM

Ya know, with the killing blow, most damage dealt, and "kill" all having their own bonuses... I just don't know anymore.

I thought whoever shoots last is assigned the "kill" in normal combat, hence the phenomenon of Kill Stealing during events when someone plinks wounded enemies for the kill right before the hard-working brawler has a chance to finish the enemy off.

#32 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:19 AM

As was mentioned, it's a poorly thought out mechanic, as there is usually no reason to not do it as far as overheating goes.

I don't know why so many people are ok with OOB and overhead suicide, perhaps when steam launches all the mwo haters will gather and create as may accounts they can and just join and suicide over and over to make new players happy with this apparently acceptable thing. Hundreds of people constantly doing it in every match should be really cool.

Or most dmg and assist awards could be applied so it isn't as silly as it is now, sure not kill shot.

#33 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:26 AM

View PostBobzilla, on 25 November 2015 - 11:19 AM, said:

As was mentioned, it's a poorly thought out mechanic, as there is usually no reason to not do it as far as overheating goes.

I don't know why so many people are ok with OOB and overhead suicide, perhaps when steam launches all the mwo haters will gather and create as may accounts they can and just join and suicide over and over to make new players happy with this apparently acceptable thing. Hundreds of people constantly doing it in every match should be really cool.

Or most dmg and assist awards could be applied so it isn't as silly as it is now, sure not kill shot.

For me, it's very simple. How the enemy dies, either by being shot, going OOB, or suicide matters not. They're still dead as far as I am concerned and helps towards my team's victory.

But then again I play to win, not collect stats. And if I can't, I intend to give the enemy a really frustrating time.

Edited by Mystere, 25 November 2015 - 11:30 AM.

#34 Roadkill

• 3,610 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:29 AM

Why?

You understand that kills are meaningless, right? KDR means nothing and affects nothing.

Kill Most Damage Dealt and Assist are already awarded to the person who did the most damage to a suicider, so you're already getting the rewards.

#35 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 25 November 2015 - 11:50 AM

View PostMystere, on 25 November 2015 - 11:26 AM, said:

For me, it's very simple. How the enemy dies, either by being shot, going OOB, or suicide matters not. They're still dead as far as I am concerned and helps towards my team's victory.

But then again I play to win, not collect stats. And if I can't, I intend to give the enemy a really frustrating time.

Oh, well just want to fill you in that it's not only stats you receive it's also cbills and xp. I'm guess you have played long enough or pay enough to not have any need of these, but there are newer players that do need these and a lot complain about the grind. With steam launching, there's going to be more.

You're defending a broken mechanic to rob other players of rewards, it's just bad programming and you should feel bad.

I also find your 'i can't win so i'm taking my ball and going home' view very childish.

That being said, I don't think they should ever take it out of the game, just fix it, make it better.

Stats don't matter (win/loss is a stat btw), it's overall enjoyment.

#36 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:15 PM

View PostBobzilla, on 25 November 2015 - 11:50 AM, said:

Oh, well just want to fill you in that it's not only stats you receive it's also cbills and xp. I'm guess you have played long enough or pay enough to not have any need of these, but there are newer players that do need these and a lot complain about the grind. With steam launching, there's going to be more.

Winning, with the assumption that you also did good, already means XP and c-bills.

And a paying customer (i.e. buying packs and heroes with bonuses) gets more, and therefore the grind is less. Or do you want PGI to hand out c-bills to F2P players like money that grows on trees?

You're defending a broken mechanic to rob other players of rewards, it's just bad programming and you should feel bad.

I also find your 'i can't win so i'm taking my ball and going home' view very childish.

That being said, I don't think they should ever take it out of the game, just fix it, make it better.

Defending? I am doing no such thing. To me, the enemy is dead no matter how it happens, which leads to victory, which leads to XP and c-bills.

It's not a complicated concept.

Stats don't matter (win/loss is a stat btw), it's overall enjoyment.

I don't think you fully understand or appreciate the meaning of both "playing to win" and "giving the enemy a really frustrating time", and their relationship to "enjoyment". It has nothing to do with tracking W/L and "taking my ball and going home". <smh>

#37 Ace Selin

• 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:55 PM

If you go out bounds or suicide, the enemy team should not get a kill or an assist as they didn't really kill the enemy, and these things should not even be penalized.

#38 Bobzilla

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:01 PM

View PostMystere, on 25 November 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

Winning, with the assumption that you also did good, already means XP and c-bills.

View PostMystere, on 25 November 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

the enemy is dead no matter how it happens, which leads to victory, .

So it doesn't matter except for when it does matter cause you also need to due well? This is my only point, for players like us that have been around a long time it's nothing, the need for spacebucks and xp is nothing, plus one person getting themselves out of the game just means next match faster. But that's our view, and it can be made better, for those that don't share it, without any effect to us.
And in a game, that's very repetitive, you want to keep the grind to a minimum. Lost of other ways they coax money from our wallets.

#39 Mystere

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:53 PM

View PostAce Selin, on 25 November 2015 - 12:55 PM, said:

If you go out bounds or suicide, the enemy team should not get a kill or an assist as they didn't really kill the enemy, and these things should not even be penalized.

Apparently, it's extremely important for those who want to collect stats. :unsure:

#40 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:58 PM

If you go out of bounds or suicide by overheating intentionally, you deserve to be reported and warned/banned. If you override and overheat suicide as you are in the heat of battle, that is a totally different scenario. Go down fighting!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users