#41 Troutmonkey

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 24 November 2015 - 10:40 PM

View PostSandpit, on 24 November 2015 - 08:56 PM, said:

So has every other online multiplayer game in the history of online gaming just about. This is kinda my point. It's not hard to implement some moderation and filters and optional participation into a lobby. Sometimes it feels like some of you guys want to paint this very obtuse black and white picture where an idea or suggestion has to somehow interfere with something else or with those of you who, for whatever reason, chose to come to a multiplayer online team based game and not want to deal with the whole "team thing", when it does neither of those things.

It's about creating more options and building a community. You obviously want to be part of that community or you wouldn't be here investing your time in it on the forums. There's tons of ideas on the forums that are creative and viable. If you don't like one that's great, but at least explain why and/or how you would improve it. I can give you several ways around your complaints of a lobby. They are viable, widely done already, and offer minimal to zero interference for those who could care less to participate.

Well most other games with lobbies had either high populations, or games with respawns and the ability to join mid-match or shorter faster rounds.

I really can't see how a lobby system (which degrades match quality) would "build community" any more than just adding 5 minutes into the pregame screen and letting people talk. I feel that you might be coming in with a sense of nostalgia from "the good old days of gaming".

Currently we have private matches, the LFG tool, and the community warfare chat thing. There could be more social tools but having a server browser with lobbies (that's what we're talking about right?) is not a very good idea.

#42 Tuis Ryche

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 324 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:11 PM

Yeah, whatever, screw lobbies. Let's vote on it. Weight it for the lolz. That'll fix things.

*points* hey, look, free **** and mech packs!

Edited by Tuis Ryche, 24 November 2015 - 11:12 PM.

#43 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:10 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 24 November 2015 - 11:04 AM, said:

Wait times and match quality need further improvement. In particular for those poor oceanic players. I see no reason not to add server choice to the list of things we vote on for the sake of a better MM.

Yeah, if they did that, the game would instantly become unplayable for most of the population.. I get ping 60-120 on EU servers, 120-250 on NA servers, and 500+ on Oceanic..

You really wanna force me to play like a sitting duck? Are you that desperate?

Besides... since the Nov.17. Patch, I get matches almost instantly, and the slowest it's gotten in a 5 minute wait.. so no reason to mess with it further..

#44 Dino Might

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 2,030 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:31 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 24 November 2015 - 02:26 PM, said:

If play experience is the concern they really are no different and both have a direct impact on play experience. You not wanting to put up with high ping once in awhile for the sake of a better MM really isn't any different than someone not wanting to play a certain game mode being forced to do so once in awhile for the sake of a better MM. We really shouldn't be trying to measure someones level of enjoyment, or lack thereof, but instead we should be focusing on what is best for the MM.
No, we can't do that after PGI has spent all this time and money on this new system these servers. :ph34r:
Could be.

You keep repeating this point, but that's only from your perspective, because you say the end result of both situations is that YOU, personally, don't like it.

It's not all about you. You are assuming that the rest of humanity thinks like you. It's a common fallacy. I do it, too.

#45 Jetfire

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,746 posts
  • LocationMinneapolis, MN

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:59 AM

This is not possible without a significant redesign of the MM code. The server has already been selected when the game mode selection begins. Also this is a terrible idea.

#46 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:04 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 24 November 2015 - 12:17 PM, said:

True, so let us just take away the option, and whatever server you get is the one you play on. No more choice.
Sorry, but the MM is struggling and we need more people to fill the gaps for the greater good. Sometimes having to deal with higher ping when you don't get the server you want is a small price to pay for faster queues and better quality matches for everyone else.

The MM struggling you blame completely and totally on PGI's inability to create a decent game after 3 yers and god knows how much income. 3 years in and this game is still in a state of beta. Heck did we even leave beta. We are still having sweeping changes after 3 damn years.

The voting system was put into place because the population has fallen so low they had no choice. I really do not think this can be contested. Why else do it?

The players are not to blame, PGI's treatment of their player base is.

#47 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 25 November 2015 - 07:34 AM

Honestly, selecting servers should always be a user controlled thing. There's no way around this simple fact.

I could kinda care less if PGI's servers were on the US West Coast or Texas... it's great for me that they are on the US East Coast (where I live). I do select the Euro servers though, since the ping is tolerable (sub-200) and doesn't affect my game. Oceanic reminded me how terrible the godawful HSR code is.

Imagine for a moment that PGI was an Australian developer. That would probably be beneficial for some people who would live within the region. For a game to be played worldwide... having a server NOT located within North America would be financial suicide. You got to have regional servers that cover major locations as ping becomes one of many defining factors for one's enjoyment factor.

In games with lobbies, the very first thing that is presorted by the masses is ping. Once you find servers that within a region, then gamemodes/server population is the next determining factor. People tend to flock to the server that most fits them (elite players play on an elite server... casuals will pick servers that allow them to coexist with others - within the server's rules.. specialized servers have their own niche).

Trying to force people by binding them to a server... w/o ANY regards to their connection quality is asking for problems. I don't care if you hate all a certain map or gamemode... when a game is unplayable, people stop playing. Full stop.

If PGI had bothered allowing units to "purchase" a server slice to host their own private server (essentially, a paid for unit private server for matches or whatnot - a common thing allowed by many popular games) to host public lobbies for others - this game would recreate the makings of what MW3 (through MSN Gaming Zone) and MW4 (Zonelobby) great.

While it isn't the primary focus for PGI (for whatever the reason)... just understand that there is a legitimate threshold where the game's netcode would actually be tolerable for a person. There's very little reason to be on a server that does not give you an reasonable playing experience, and to try to enforce that is plain crazy. Unless PGI improves their HSR code dramatically, it will almost never be an acceptable experience for people that play the game... despite trying to help out the MM.

TL;DR
No gamer in their right mind will allow themselves to play on servers that don't provide an acceptable experience.. whether it be gamemode, performance/quality... and most certainly ping or latency.

Edited by Deathlike, 25 November 2015 - 07:36 AM.

#48 WarHippy

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,835 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:21 AM

View PostVellron2005, on 25 November 2015 - 01:10 AM, said:

Besides... since the Nov.17. Patch, I get matches almost instantly, and the slowest it's gotten in a 5 minute wait.. so no reason to mess with it further..
Not everyone is having the same experience as you. Some people are still having long wait times, and some saw no improvement at all and question the need for choice removal to begin with.

View PostDino Might, on 25 November 2015 - 06:31 AM, said:

You keep repeating this point, but that's only from your perspective, because you say the end result of both situations is that YOU, personally, don't like it.

It's not all about you. You are assuming that the rest of humanity thinks like you. It's a common fallacy. I do it, too.
Who said it was all about me? I made it pretty clear in the OP I was worried about those poor ******** on the Oceanic server. I'm also wanting as many people as possible to actually enjoy playing the game instead of just boosting the enjoyment of those willing to remove enjoyment from others.

View PostDarian DelFord, on 25 November 2015 - 07:04 AM, said:

The MM struggling you blame completely and totally on PGI's inability to create a decent game after 3 yers and god knows how much income. 3 years in and this game is still in a state of beta. Heck did we even leave beta. We are still having sweeping changes after 3 damn years.

The voting system was put into place because the population has fallen so low they had no choice. I really do not think this can be contested. Why else do it?

The players are not to blame, PGI's treatment of their player base is.
I don't blame the players. The blame is fully on the shoulders of PGI and their constant mismanagement of the game and the community.

View PostDeathlike, on 25 November 2015 - 07:34 AM, said:

TL;DR
No gamer in their right mind will allow themselves to play on servers that don't provide an acceptable experience.. whether it be gamemode, performance/quality... and most certainly ping or latency.
On this we completely agree, and it is why I don't actually want removal of choice for servers or for game mode. I want everyone to have an acceptable experience. I just find the entire situation to ridiculous. I would much rather the devs put forth a little effort and add things like lobbies, or at the very least make the game modes better instead of taking the easy way out by taking player choice away and pissing off part of an already small player base they really can't afford to lose.

#49 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:07 AM

View PostWarHippy, on 25 November 2015 - 08:21 AM, said:

On this we completely agree, and it is why I don't actually want removal of choice for servers or for game mode. I want everyone to have an acceptable experience. I just find the entire situation to ridiculous. I would much rather the devs put forth a little effort and add things like lobbies, or at the very least make the game modes better instead of taking the easy way out by taking player choice away and pissing off part of an already small player base they really can't afford to lose.

You know... the things in bold is Lostech to PGI. The things in italics is reality.

We can't have nice things when everything that requires time and effort is considered Lostech.

#50 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:13 AM

Lobbiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiies

#51 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 12:20 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 24 November 2015 - 02:11 PM, said:

They both boil down to what is enjoyable, and as such they may not be literally the same but they do have similar end results with regard to enjoyment and being forced into it.

Instead of asking that "everyone" get *ucked over because you feel you have been *ucked over, why not just take a break from MWO, the Forums and recharge your batteries some.

That way "everyone" involved with this rather ridiculous idea really does win... :)

Edited by Almond Brown, 25 November 2015 - 12:23 PM.

#52 Troutmonkey

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 3,776 posts
  • LocationAdelaide, Australia

Posted 25 November 2015 - 03:00 PM

View PostWarHippy, on 25 November 2015 - 08:21 AM, said:

I made it pretty clear in the OP I was worried about those poor ******** on the Oceanic server.

Don't worry about us mate. We do pretty well for ourselves and most of us get okay pings on the US server too. Having both ticked means I get the chance for fast games, and the chance for low latency games. However if you start forcing us onto the European server you'll start to see a lot of disconnects - both from rage quitting and the general suckiness of our internet.

Stupid government here in Aus thought it was a good idea to buy an aging copper network instead of rolling out fibre, even though the previous government was already in the process of doing so. Bunch a bloody wankers

#53 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

Hahaha, man, that's funny.

#54 adamts01

• Death Star
  • 3,417 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 25 November 2015 - 06:32 PM

View PostTroutmonkey, on 25 November 2015 - 03:00 PM, said:

Stupid government here in Aus thought it was a good idea to buy an aging copper network instead of rolling out fibre, even though the previous government was already in the process of doing so. Bunch a bloody wankers

That sucks. Old people that don't even know how to Internet shouldn't be making those decisions. You've still got it better than the Philippines. $100 gets you 10mbps fiber in Manila that's about as reliable as smoke signaling in the rain.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users