My Ilya Build (so nice).
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...2595c1623ee79cc

It's real nice for dakka...

Quirks:
7.5% Ballistic cooldown
7.5% A/C5 cooldown

Module:
12% A/C5 Cooldown Module

Combined 27% quicker cooldown. Just perfect for A/C5 dakka goodness. Don't forget the additional 5% boost to cooldown with the elite tree too (although any mech leveled up gets that).

The A/C5s in the Ilya are sexy. Not as nice as Ultras all firing at once, but then again after a few pulls of the trigger, how likely is that anyway. I'll take the reliability of the STD A/C5 plus it allows for a bigger STD engine which I like.

#42 Dread Render

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 847 posts
  • LocationSouth River NJ

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:35 AM

I love the Jester.
I gave mine an XL engine and 6 MPLs
You have to be a bit sneaky with it to stay alive but not so much now with the new hit box setup
Its one of my all time Favorites.
... and it so cool looking wit the evil grin ;-)

#43 Felicitatem Parco

Professor of Memetics

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 13,522 posts
  • LocationIs Being Obscured By ECM

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:40 AM

I have to say Firebrand is my favorite, but that's because I love hull-down combat. Not too shabby having all those hardpoints raised high and able to point up the highest inclines.

#44 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:42 AM

View PostRender, on 25 November 2015 - 08:35 AM, said:

I love the Jester.
I gave mine an XL engine and 6 MPLs
You have to be a bit sneaky with it to stay alive but not so much now with the new hit box setup
Its one of my all time Favorites.
... and it so cool looking wit the evil grin ;-)

I love my Jester. I run 2 LLasers and 4 MLasers in mine with a XL355 and a ton of DHS :).

I kind of wish the mouth and eyes were one color layer and the camo was it's own couple layers. It bugs me the mouth and eyes are separate and grouped to the camo pattern. Whenever I want to to something cool with the camo, it makes the eyes or mouth look odd :/

#45 FlipOver

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:44 AM

OP, my humble opinion here is:

Do not buy anything now based on the quirks!

About which is best or not, think of them as what they are without quirks, then take your pick on those who you think might help you more on CW (thinking in the long run, not in the next month or 2) and if possible get as many as possible for you to make a decent CW dropdeck.
Even if you lose on CW, you will have a very generous boost on c-bills, making you at least feel it was worth your time.

This is what Hero mech sales are for, not to get a mech based on the current quirks, but to get a mech that can be good with or without quirks on more than one situation.

Hard to choose from some of them, but that's what I'd do.

#46 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 25 November 2015 - 08:46 AM

View PostFlipOver, on 25 November 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

take your pick on those who you think might help you more on CW (thinking in the long run, not in the next month or 2) and if possible get as many as possible for you to make a decent CW dropdeck.

I did that for a while this year. One memorable result below.

Posted Image

Edited by Appogee, 25 November 2015 - 08:50 AM.

#47 3xnihilo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,980 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 25 November 2015 - 09:08 AM

View PostEscef, on 25 November 2015 - 08:13 AM, said:

Firebrand has some nice high-mounted hard points. Ilya does the triple AC thing, but the ballistic points are all low. 'Phracts tend to worse hitboxes, though. Overall, I don't fear or respect the Firebrand any more or less than any other Jagermech. The Ilya, OTOH, I still have a healthy respect for.

Thanks, I tend to favor my OXP over the jäger champion so I am leaning towards the Ilya already.

#48 Barantor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 25 November 2015 - 10:20 AM

I will go through mine as well...

Pirate's Bane: Solid performer with that ECM and can really tear the enemy lights up if you get the counterattack from when their lights try and attack your heavies/assaults. Can put a tag on it if you want, though I just use 4 smalls 2 mgs and uav/arty.

Oxide: One of my favorites, everything you like about the Jenner (if you like it) but without jumpjets and replaced with a lot of missile hardpoints. I run around with BAP to counter ECM and then use all streaks for guaranteed hits. Fun!

X-5: Solid Cicada, if you like lights or Cicadas then it is up your alley. It has enough space and hardpoints to really bring the pain and the engine works hard for top speeds. I take 4 medium lasers, 2 streaks a bap and max engine I can fit. Works well to help out sneaking lights or to counterattack their lights or scouts. Nice backstabber too.

Sparky: Nice Griffin though the mostly energy thing doesn't work with some folks. Really have to either play snipe role or help out heavier mechs. I use large pulse on mine and it hits hard but gets hot.

Grey Death: Another Shadowhawk, enough said IMO, not my favorite.

Jester: Fun mech but suffers from the same things the K2 does, works but you need either a fast engine or lots of LL/PPCs. Has JJs so that is fun, but only 2.

Protector: I like Orions so this one works for me, but I realize that it isn't for everyone. It has a lot of the standard things a normal Orion has, which is why it doesn't stand out so much.

Pretty Baby: Yes I bought this, yes I use this, no I don't suggest it to the light hearted. I love Awesomes which is why I bought it, if you don't then probably best to spend money elsewhere.

Hellslinger: Probably my worst purchase. I just don't like battlemasters with their current quirks and this one I just can't seem to find my groove with. Probably the same reason I don't like the free atlas they gave us.

#49 0bsidion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,653 posts

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:07 PM

As several people have said, I've enjoyed my Yen. I haven't really used it since the Clan release, but it can pack an AC/20 and still be fairly nimble, making it a dangerous opponent for mechs even twice its size. It's a good coup de grace mech.

Having a heavy hitting medium when the heavy queue is going to be at a solid 90% for the foreseeable future, (starting next week right around Dec. 1st), is nothing to sneeze at. Something to keep in mind B) Unless of course you just like 5 minute waits for matches in MM.

View Post3xnihilo, on 25 November 2015 - 09:08 AM, said:

Thanks, I tend to favor my OXP over the jäger champion so I am leaning towards the Ilya already.

Phracts are a personal taste thing. Some people can make them work. I've had some decent games in my Ilya, but it isn't one of my more inspiring mechs. If you already know you like them, the Ilya doesn't exactly deviate too wildly from the 'phract mold. You probably already have an idea of what you're getting into with it if you've piloted any of the others before.

#50 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:12 PM

The best "heroes" are usually Clan (I)nvasion Omnimechs, because they have way more build variety (hardpoint swapping) and just Clan tech in general.

#51 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,884 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 25 November 2015 - 01:28 PM

Huggin and Pirate's Bane for pure adrenaline.
IV-4 because when it first came out everyone said it was instant fail and because it is a Quickdraw

After that the "must have" Heros are to me the Firebrand and Sparky. 2 Reasons: 1) versatility and 2) they just look cool.

As to all the Misery commentators: I think the Misery suffers from the same problem as most Atlas builds. Draws attention to the ballistic and gets focused as a result. IMO the standard build (3LL and the AC/20) is great for CW attack/breach. A fine build for puging as well, just not "heroic". For later wave CW use, try a build where you drop the AC/20 for and LB10X and an Artemis SRM6. Great for crit seeking and legging. I am currently trying a 3ERLL and Gauss build exclusively for use on Boreal defense. Works great there, but meh everywhere else. I think there are just better choices for dedicated long range builds (but I gotta try it!). Alas, when I want a stalker I usually reach for my 3F (4LPL) or my 4N (5LL...got better performance than the 6 LL build) so I really don't see much use for it. Thus, the ultra specialization of the builds I mentioned, just to find a spot for it.

#52 ExplicitContent

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 335 posts
  • LocationSolaris Arena

Posted 27 November 2015 - 11:08 AM

So, Thanks for all the suggestions. I ended up getting a few heroes. Had MC that was just sitting there and some empty mech bays, so why not.

Firebrand
Jester
IM

Took my Firebrand out. First 2 matches had 7 kills and ended up with 15k xp :)

Nice to get them during the double XP. Will just be running them for at least one win a day while the event is going on so I get quadruple XP.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users