9 replies to this topic

#1 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:38 PM

Just a simple idea for a mechlab tutorial to give players an idea how a mech is improved though it will have to make it clear that Endo > Ferro and DHS > SHS (in most cases anyway). It will also have to give the idea that some people prefer more front armor as long as they are aware enough not to expose their rears.

Perhaps it can also ease down things by stating that most battlemechs are made with a general purpose and construction cost for mass production in mind that is why they are what they are but elite mechwarriors (like you!) will often need a more customized ride to bring out your full potential.

As for the process I'll just list it down in simple bullets:
  • Have selection of base stock mechs from the selection of existing Champion mechs.
  • Set one champion mech to be the step-by-step guide (one time, repeateable if needed) where the player is taught how to use the mechlab features by turning a stock into a champion.
  • The 'challenges' are to complete configuring the other stocks into champions. It's simple but the repetition should be enough to get them used to it.
  • Perhaps allow players to test the mech before and after to see how the changes matter (players can see differences in engine sizes, heat dissipation etc)
Will need one for clans for omnipods and explaining that some things can't be changed in clan mechs (and add provisions for clan battlemechs like HBK2C). Maybe teach them about XL/Clan XL here too.

You can give extra tips like the player should note if they end up needing more ammo for their weapons, more heatsinks, or if they find themselves not getting much use out of a weapon most of the time and they would be better off replacing it with something else.

#2 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 26 December 2015 - 12:58 AM

Absolutely there should be a mechlab tutorial. It's fairly easy to understand the mechlab if you're a MW vet but some random steam noob won't get it or know how to utilize it completely.

#3 Bite the pillow im going in dry

Rookie

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 06:53 PM

have played mechwarrior 4 and Mercenaries when they came out, i can figure out alot, but some things are a mistery to me lol.
a tutorial would be nice, just to get the basics of equipping modules/weapons and such.

#4 WarmasterRaptor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ogre
  • The Ogre
  • 205 posts
  • LocationQuébec - Canada

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:58 AM

+1 Support for this idea!!

#5 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 01 January 2016 - 11:25 AM

heres your mech lab tutorial

1) only use heavy mech
2) put on most lasers your mech can have
3) put on most DHS your mech can have
4) max armor
5) put on biggest engine you can with remaining tonnage

the worst thing you can do to help new players is make them think they actually have different options. this game isnt balanced well enough to give options to players. there is a single best way of playing and thats laser vomit heavies.

Edited by Khobai, 01 January 2016 - 11:28 AM.

#6 tr0nn

Rookie

• Bridesmaid
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 January 2016 - 07:01 AM

first day in the game and i spent about an hour clicking on **** in the mech lab and still have no idea what's going on.

off to youtube i go!

Edited by tr0nn, 03 January 2016 - 07:01 AM.

#7 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:14 AM

View Posttr0nn, on 03 January 2016 - 07:01 AM, said:

first day in the game and i spent about an hour clicking on **** in the mech lab and still have no idea what's going on.

off to youtube i go!

Kanajashi on YouTube has a LOT of good tutorials (on mech lab, different weapon systems, different play styles, etc.), to the point that there is an entire thread on the forums stickied to his stuff. Look his stuff up on YouTube.

I was playing MWO before Steam, but since I use Steam for voice chat with my unit half the time when we are on together already tried installing through Steam (low end rig and having to have Steam services running even when not using its chat cost me a few FPS, reinstalled standalone client later because of this). The Steam client (like everything on Steam) tells you to hit Shift+Tab for the Steam community stuff, and right away has a like to the tutorial section of the forums among other things, so they have tried some to help direct the new players from Steam to helpful things.

#8 Greyhart

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 894 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 08 January 2016 - 07:50 AM

good idea.

i look forward to them explaining that heat number that appears in the mechlab

#9 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:16 AM

View PostGreyhart, on 08 January 2016 - 07:50 AM, said:

good idea.

i look forward to them explaining that heat number that appears in the mechlab

The heat number can be a little confusing. the number is ratio of how much heat your mech can put out (if you are going full alpha strike with your weapons) versus how much heat your heat sinks can get rid of in a certain amount of time (don't remember exact time frame).

Generally anything under a 1-1.3 value will be VERY hot. if you have a 2.0 (the highest the scale goes) then you are dissipating your heat almost instantly.

If you do a search on "Heat Efficiency" in the forums will show you a couple threads that will help explain it in more detail.

Edited by LadyDanams, 08 January 2016 - 09:20 AM.

#10 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 08 January 2016 - 09:22 AM

View PostDivineEvil, on 18 November 2012 - 01:27 PM, said:

For those who really care about truth, and not all that junk written above:

Heat Efficiency is a measure of heat dissipation, calculated by your Alpha total heat fatigue dissipated in 10 seconds. 1.0 HE means that it takes exactly 10 seconds to dissipate all the heat generated by your apha-stirke. DHS are calcualted as 1.4 dissipation power, and your dissipation can get broken when heatsinks are getting out of order due to critical damage, including those extra placed in your 275+ engine.

Looked around some for you and found this from another thread a while back. I believe this is correct (or at least very close depending on changes since then from patches).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users