#1 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 29 November 2015 - 05:28 PM

Okay, I'm going to do it.

I'm a die-hard heavy driver but I'm going to give lights a try finally.

With the sale, I picked up some MC and figured with the Hero mech sale going too... it makes good sense to pick up some light heros. Yes?

So here is my question. I've read a bunch of posts from all you guys on various points about these little guys, but wanted to get a fresh summary perspective before I buy tonight.

Oxide. I really want to love the Jenners. I hear lots of bad about them here on the forums though. But again, I chose to drive wolverines and zeuses... so I am no stranger to driving the "unloved" chassis. I make a point to master each chassis I choose, so I'd do the same with the Jenner family. So how stupid would I be to pick up and learn the "flying CT?"

Huggin. I see Ravens all the time. Often the last mechs standing if not a Cheetah. The seem to drive really well, but then again I also don't want to be on the "Raven bandwagon" just like everyone else. Is the Huggy a good chassis?

Pirate Bane. C'mon. It's a Locust. From my early days of tabletop to today... it's just going to be impossible to NOT have a Loccy in the hangar. So, from what I've read, Bane is a great variant?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to at least trying Lights.
Morg

Edited by Morggo, 29 November 2015 - 05:29 PM.

#2 KGADigger

• Pip
  • Philanthropist
  • 19 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

With the Pirates Bane you can play as a true balistic zombie if you really want to.
One AC 2, 1 ton of ammo in the CT and one in the cocpit.

Edited by KGADigger, 29 November 2015 - 06:11 PM.

#3 Spike Brave

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 695 posts
  • LocationIn your base, killing your dudes

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:26 PM

I made a guide for the Oxide. Hope this helps.

#4 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 29 November 2015 - 07:31 PM

I love the locust, but oddly, the Pirate's Bane is third favourite on my list. That said, that's enough to master em with.

As for the Huggin, I do not have Raven's, but it's the one Variant I respect when I see it. Oh sure, I've seen some other ravens pull of decent enough brawling builds, but when I drop with a real huggin an it's srm 4 spam, I see if we can go on an assasinating spree an run amok. I was trained in the fine arts of Light piloting by a Huggin pilot, and it ain't half bad at all.

Can't really comment on the rest. Good luck deciding.

~Leone.

#5 Gorgeous Randy Flamethrower

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 09:44 PM

The only ones i cant really recommend is the Deaths Knell and the Ember.

I mean if you dig Commandos this one has 3 E which is nice and the Ember has been neutered since MGs were nerfed.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:34 AM

my favorite Hero Mech is the Ember, Firestarter Hero, it is my best performing Light Mech, with 4 MGs and 4 lasers it can quickly remove damaged componants from enemy Mechs,

Death Knell, Commando is also pretty good, which has 4 Energy hardpoints
I hate not having energy weapons for backup if ammo runs out so while I own them I do not realy like the Oxide Jenner or Hugin Raven, the Hugin especially is having its quirks heavily toned down in tomorrows re-balance, so if anyone suggests this because of the rapid fire SRMs just bear in mind the fire rate is being significantly reduced tomorow

I am not a fan of the Locust, mostly because of the cockpit so do not own Pirates Bane,
the Spider is my favorite Mech so I wanted to like the Anasi but I just do not, and I am unsure why

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 30 November 2015 - 12:41 AM.

#7 The Great Unwashed

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 919 posts
  • LocationNetherlands

Posted 30 November 2015 - 12:49 AM

Running a commando is comparable to jumping down Niagara falls in a barrel. It's fun and spectacular when you think of it, but not so much when you end up dead and they have to search for your body for weeks. I'd leave the Commando for when you are feeling particularly masochistic and you already tried Locusts. The Huggin is ok with its quirks and I think the one useful Hero light. Plus, the rest of the Raven family is pretty decent to work with if you can keep your distance: the entire hip is basically CT and good players can hit it from a wide angle. (but check what happens after tomorrow's quirk pass before deciding... you have to be close and use in-your-face tactics to make it work. Edit: Rogue Jedi already spelled out that it will be much less fun after tomorrow) Firestarters are more potent and fun to play but the Hero Ember with its machine guns is now very ineffective and you do not see them often.

So actually, I would not recommend picking up any Hero light and just play around with normal lights. Arctic Cheetah's, Wolfhounds, or Firestarters...

And you may also want to consider something other than a light, such as BlackJacks... also fast and quite durable: useful in the Quick and CW queue.

As a side-note, Tahribator recently gave the Top Dog a favourable review : http://raksarmory.bl...dog-review.html

Should you want to burn MC and not already own it :)

Edited by The Great Unwashed, 30 November 2015 - 12:56 AM.

#8 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 30 November 2015 - 02:00 AM

In order of priority.

1. Ember because Firestarters are powerful.
2. Pirate's Bane because it is cheap and has ECM.

Raven-H and Jenner-O are funish, but rather limited in their playstyle.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:04 AM

View PostMorggo, on 29 November 2015 - 05:28 PM, said:

Oxide. I really want to love the Jenners. I hear lots of bad about them here on the forums though. But again, I chose to drive wolverines and zeuses... so I am no stranger to driving the "unloved" chassis. I make a point to master each chassis I choose, so I'd do the same with the Jenner family. So how stupid would I be to pick up and learn the "flying CT?"

Huggin. I see Ravens all the time. Often the last mechs standing if not a Cheetah. The seem to drive really well, but then again I also don't want to be on the "Raven bandwagon" just like everyone else. Is the Huggy a good chassis?

Pirate Bane. C'mon. It's a Locust. From my early days of tabletop to today... it's just going to be impossible to NOT have a Loccy in the hangar. So, from what I've read, Bane is a great variant?

Thanks in advance, looking forward to at least trying Lights.
Morg

Beginning with the flying CT...
Posted Image
it's currently no longer the case.
Posted Image
You should still follow the general Jenner rule of 5/6ths or better frontal armor.

Those interested in what I would have redesigned the hitboxes as...
Spoiler

Others can be found here.
http://mwomercs.com/...x-localization/

I personally use an AC/20 Huginn. But have had trouble with an MG/SRM build. Depends on what you think you can make for it.

Bane is currently the closest thing you can get to a "pay to win" variant (due to ECM on a chassis that doesn't carry it). However ECM isn't going to be the cloak shield it is for much longer, and Pirate's Bane is easily a one shot kill for most decently armed heavies.

Good luck.

#10 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 30 November 2015 - 07:06 PM

Thanks Koniving, that looks so much better set up for jenner hitboxes. Looking forward to it
You think Oxide will be a XL friendly chassis after tomorrow?

And Spike, thanks for sharing the vid. It's nice to see the mech in action.

(and yes, also picked up Bane)

Edited by Morggo, 30 November 2015 - 07:07 PM.

#11 MechWarrior3671771

• 2,021 posts
  • LocationGermantown, MD

Posted 30 November 2015 - 08:42 PM

Huggin is fun, but as other's have said its very limited and is more of a specialized build that will get old fast.

Most Hero mechs are subpar. The best reason to run a Hero is to get the 30% c-bill bonus. And the best way to rack up c-bills to begin with is by playing an assault, simply because you can do more damage and most your c-bill earnings are related to how much damage you do.

So I would rec the Stalker Misery. Its a good solid versatile mech, and can easily fit into an IS dropdeck later on if you want to do Community Warfare.

Edited by Fen Tetsudo, 30 November 2015 - 08:44 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users