Something I Have Wanted To Post For A While(Long).

6 replies to this topic

#1 trajan331

• PipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 08 December 2015 - 11:09 PM

For PGI
I first off want to express how glad I am that PGI has created Mechwarrior Online. I've played Battletech and Mechwarrior games since 1986 and, always encourage friends and family to learn about the franchise. I know some people will read this and, call be a Fanboy or accuse me of kissing PGI's butt. I want people to know that I do believe the game isn't perfect but, I also accept that refinement takes time. My greatest regret is not being a founder. At the time of release my system could not handle the game and, I saw no point in buying a founders package. I really wish I had been able to play from the start.

I applaud PGI for taking on the challenge of taking the Battletech universe and, trying to make it into an online game. It is difficult to please everyone and, I think that PGI has made an effort to balance the game for the multitude of different types of players. I know many purists complain about deviations from the board game. I understand that the reasoning for these deviations. I know you also tried not to deviate to far from canon so to appease the purists. I understand that dealing with the polarizing views of purists and, non purists can be difficult. Deviate to far and, the game is not Mechwarrior. Deviate not enough and, the game is unplayable.

Thank you PGI for new mechs and, new maps. Some day that we get too much of one and too little of another. I for one will not complain. New mechs for me are new scenery. Facing/piloting a new mech for the first time is as exciting as fighting on a new map. I especially thank you for the new unseen mechs. When it comes to maps, like anyone I would like to see more(larger the better) but, I am patient. I respect the time an effort it takes to create a balanced and immersive new map.

I appreciate that PGI has tried to create a campaign/role player experience like Clan Wars. It is not perfect but, I expected it would be difficult. I am hoping for some changes that will attract more players to try Clan Wars. I played at the beginning and, during both Tukayyid events but, have not played much in between. I much prefer the random queue.

Congratulations to PGI on your Steam launch. I am looking forward to all the new players and, the possibility of increased revenue. Revenue equals more maps, more mechs and more refinement. A larger player pool will hopefully shake things up a bit.

For the players/community
I play World of Tanks in addition to Mechwarrior Online. When I first awaited this game I told people the community would be just as toxic as World of Tanks. I was both wrong and right. On the battlefield I have found most games free of finger pointing and general rudeness. I would say I really only see real toxic behavior in 1 in 8 games. This opposed to World of Tanks which is about 2 in 3 games. I am proud to see that in game people are generally decent and, good sports. On the forums however, there seems to be a bit more toxicity. This toxic behavior seems to generally be aimed at PGI. All I ask that is if you aren't playing the game anymore get off the forums. If you are and, want to see improvements, please be constructive. I want to thank those community members who are standing up for PGI. I believe the community needs to be more patient.

Those of you posting on Steam about how bad this game is should just get off the Steam forums and, play something else. I am appalled at the hate being spewed by players. I almost don't want to beleive they are posts from real players and just competitors trolls It seems like most of those posting negative comments are people who just hate PGI and want to sabotage this game. If you want to criticize be helpful and, at least post a list of positive and negatives about the game. Sarcasm and snide remarks do not help new players and, they don't help current players who want this game to grow.

For those of you complaining about balance, features and content. Rome was not built in a day. I am happy with the progress PGI has made with this game. I have played for about eighteen months and, feel the game is better than it was when I started. Like I said earlier I don't think it is perfect but, balance takes time. I ask the community to not feel entitled to instant game fixes. New maps will come, new content will come. If you have suggestions make them. When they reject your suggestion don't get all butthurt and, call PGI morons. We all may think we have great ideas but, sometimes despite what we think they might not work as intended. Instead of getting upset try a different suggestion and, if you suggest twenty things and, only one gets accepted then celebrate.

To the people that complain about mech credit prices, mech pack costs and "money grabs". PGI is not a charity. The employees have families and homes. They need to pay bills. Running the company infrastructure costs money. Making new maps costs money. If you don't like the costs don't pay. If they start to sell too little of a product prices will decrease or content in a package will increase. If prices don't change then that means the market disagrees with you and, prices are fine. I will be honest and, say I have spent too much on this game but, every penny has been worth it.

To those of you that complain about bad players. Guess what it's a game! Unless you are going to pay me a monthly salary I am only going to improve at the pace I choose. You know what is meaningful; your job and being good at that, being a good father, mother or sibling or contributing to your country or community. I consider myself an average player. I've had terrible games and, I have had games where I was a rock star. Most though are in the middle. The only bad players that annoy me are the ones that hide in a corner and, do not contribute. At that point you really are no longer playing the game. For those who are really good players congratulations but, don't let it get to your head. For those of you that are good sports I thank you!

I am debating whether to come back and, read responses to this post. I really spent too much time writing this and, I don't want to argue with anyone over it. Not coming back will curb that temptation. I do really want to see some constructive responses though, negative and positive. I am sure I will be called all types of names but, that's been the story of my life. I look forward to continued growth of this game and, hope to see you all on the field of battle as friend or foe. Oh and Merry Christmas to everyone!!

P.S. Yeah I said PGI isn't perfect. I do have some suggestions. I would put them in the suggestion forum but, I don't want to make two posts. Here are some short descriptions of ideas.

1.) Team queue and individual queue planets for Clan Wars. No not two different queues for the same planet I mean have some planets where you can only queue as an individual. Yeah 12 guys from a unit can queue individually but it a few extras queue in with them they might not drop with all 12 guys from the unit.

2.) Little less tankiness on light mechs. Maybe a 5-15% reduction?

3.) Make the aim point reticule grow/shrink depending on heat level. This might fix issues with too many laser boats but, I might have missed something. Think like the aim point circle in World of Tanks, the smaller the circle the more accurate the shots. Might increase TTK a bit.

4.) Tourmaline desert 5-10% larger. Heaviest lance needs to start in the middle of spawn points.

5.) Biggest suggestion is overhaul of mech skill trees. Maybe tie it to quirks? I understand it would be a large change and would take a while. I don't like the current system a whole lot but, could live with it.

Edited by trajan331, 09 December 2015 - 08:37 AM.

#2 trajan331

• PipPipPip
  • Sergeant
  • Sergeant
  • 72 posts
  • LocationNew Avalon

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:41 AM

Seems I might have gotten someones attention without any replies. Seeing a lot more positive posts and, some serious fighting back against the negativity. Even if it isn't anything I said it's good! Thank you community!

#3 GRiPSViGiL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,904 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationHillsboro, OR

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:42 AM

People deserve to be educated on the faults of this game, especially prospective buyers of redundant mech packs.

#4 Bilbo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 7,864 posts
  • LocationSaline, Michigan

Posted 09 December 2015 - 08:44 AM

View Posttrajan331, on 09 December 2015 - 08:41 AM, said:

Seems I might have gotten someones attention without any replies. Seeing a lot more positive posts and, some serious fighting back against the negativity. Even if it isn't anything I said it's good! Thank you community!

Those who believe it will somehow make a difference one way or another have going back and forth on the steam forum since it opened.

#5 Bobzilla

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,003 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 09 December 2015 - 09:51 AM

I don't like how you think it's ok to voice opinions of a positive manner, but if you have a negative opinion you should shut up. Haters and white knights are cut from the same cloth.

#6 Almond Brown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 5,851 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 11:09 AM

View PostGRiPSViGiL, on 09 December 2015 - 08:42 AM, said:

People deserve to be educated on the faults of this game, especially prospective buyers of redundant mech packs.

So you review Movies and let other decide for you what you go see? Damn that is nothing if not efficient...

View PostBobzilla, on 09 December 2015 - 09:51 AM, said:

I don't like how you think it's ok to voice opinions of a positive manner, but if you have a negative opinion you should shut up. Haters and white knights are cut from the same cloth.

Please do your local community a favor and do not try and coach young kids sports teams. Your overly negative attitude is simply not helpful, despite what you may think to the contrary.

#7 TLBFestus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,519 posts

Posted 09 December 2015 - 03:09 PM

All in all it's not a bad post, even if I don't agree with every point you make.

It's hard to get butthurt and cranky when the post is well written and lacking inflammatory rhetoric.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users