Hellbringer Vs Summoner

20 replies to this topic

#1 eyeofjudgement

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 23 posts

Posted 23 November 2015 - 03:56 AM

I am thinking about getting a clan heavy,which one of these 2 would you recommend?

#2 DaveRatters

• PipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 68 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 23 November 2015 - 05:16 AM

Ebon Jaguar - but if you must choose between a Hellbringer and a Summoner then I'd choose Hellbringer - has an ECM variant - until they nerf ECM it's very useful. I have never owned the Summoner so I can't judge on experience - just specs and running my Hellbringers has been a hoot.

The king of the Clan heavies in my opinion is the Timberwolf of course - although I've been having less success with both building and running the Timberwolf compared to my Ebon Jaguars.

#3 PeeWrinkle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 384 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 07:14 AM

Quick answer to your question is Hellbringer, and that is from a guy who's favorite mech back in the day was the Summoner.

That said, I am curious as to why you have narrowed it down to these two Clan heavies. Do you have the others chassis already?

If you don't and this will be your first Clan heavy you may want to entertain the EBJ or TBR.
Here is list of best to worst Clan heavies (subjective of course).
1. Timberwolf: Ironically it is not my favorite Clan heavy, but it is the best. It can do everything well. Only thing it doesn't have is ECM
2. Ebon Jaguar: I struggled in this mech when it first came out, but it is a beast and has an amazing amount of tonnage for weapons. It is great because it has some very high weapon mounts, but you need to be a bit cautious because those are also seen first by an enemy (usually before you see them when coming over a hill).
3. Hellbringer: It has ECM, and because of that it could easily be the #2 heavy on this list. However it has the least pod space (after the Summoner) of all the heavies. It is good for ERLL vomit and you can do a few other decent builds with it all while having ECM.
4. Summoner: It was a tough choice putting this here because it has such limited tonnage for weapons, but it can jump and you can make some decently cool running builds. You are not an alpha master here so build for DPS. This one is all about moving, jumping, and steady fire. Play it like a medium and it is quite fun.
5. Mad Dog: This could have easily been swapped in at #4 for the Summoner, but the hitboxes on this thing seem to have magnets in them that attract weapon fire. I have not been able to soak or spread damage with this mech. You can do some pretty mean missile boats with it though.

Hope that helps.

#4 eyeofjudgement

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:43 PM

ok,i bought the hellbringer hbr-a and i am thinking about viable builds.

would this one work ?

HBR-A

or this one?

HBR-A AC 20

Edited by eyeofjudgement, 24 November 2015 - 12:50 PM.

#5 DarthHias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 12:51 PM

Well, you stripped too much armor, and the Autocannons synch better when they are in one location. Also the prime left torso is almost mandatory as it gives you ECM + 3 Energy hardpoints.

I would use something like this:
HBR-A

Those 4 Cerml are always a good basis for Hellbringer builds, as they give you good hillhumping and nice secondary firepower. Also works nicely with gauss. Use your arms to shield when receiving fire, provide ECM to your Heavies and Assaults. Only downside is not having articulated guns in your arms but when played correctly its a beast.

#6 eyeofjudgement

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:01 PM

any ideas without changing pods? i am a bit low on credits at the moment

#7 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:17 PM

Well eventually each and every hellbringer you own will have prime models left torso ;) So I would buy it if possible.

Few builds don't know if they are too meta for you but these work, ERLL for CW mostly (Build to Prime but those can be built to A model with just left torso change to Prime)
HBR-PRIME Gauss + 4xERML
HBR-PRIME 6xMPL
HBR-PRIME 4xERLL

#8 eyeofjudgement

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 23 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:31 PM

ok ok, i give up and change the prime left torso :)

is a 4 x ERLL working or will it overheat the whole time??

#9 Lugh

• The Widow Maker
  • The Widow Maker
  • 3,910 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 01:58 PM

View Posteyeofjudgement, on 24 November 2015 - 01:31 PM, said:

ok ok, i give up and change the prime left torso :)

is a 4 x ERLL working or will it overheat the whole time??

overheat a lot. Ghosts at 2

#10 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 24 November 2015 - 02:13 PM

Even with 2 firing groups, you'd still generate a ton of heat.

#11 Fulgar

• PipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:22 PM

View PostLuscious Dan, on 24 November 2015 - 02:13 PM, said:

Even with 2 firing groups, you'd still generate a ton of heat.

Newbie question here, what about chain firing the lasers, would that alleviate the ghost heat some?

#12 Darian DelFord

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 24 November 2015 - 05:30 PM

Prime

2 LPL and 3 ML's with ECM fill the rest in with heat sinks

that thing will devour

#13 Fulgar

• PipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 62 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 06:10 PM

HBR-Prime

Like this?

#14 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,622 posts

Posted 24 November 2015 - 11:42 PM

View PostFulgar, on 24 November 2015 - 05:22 PM, said:

Newbie question here, what about chain firing the lasers, would that alleviate the ghost heat some?

100%l but chainfiring all four of them means you have to stare your enemy whole 6 seconds which means you will die very quickly.
I suggest you shoot 2 and 2, shoot 1st two wait ~0.5 seconds and shoot 2nd set of two and you won't get ghost heat, takes a while to learn the timing but that way its most effective. burn time is little over 2 seconds to shoot all 4 of them without ghostheat.

View PostFulgar, on 24 November 2015 - 06:10 PM, said:

HBR-Prime

Like this?

I would never strip head armor more than 2 points off (to 16) except some lights mechs that go so fast that risk getting beheaded becomes near zero.
HBR-PRIME

#15 eyeofjudgement

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 23 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:12 AM

i tested the 2 x uac 5 + 4 er cl med build and i am really really satisfied

which one would you recommend as the best working one for this mech?

#16 DarthHias

• Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 27 November 2015 - 07:24 AM

Personally I have the most success in the Gauss+laser one.

#17 Fulgar

• PipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 62 posts

Posted 29 November 2015 - 01:44 PM

View Posteyeofjudgement, on 27 November 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

I might try this tonight. I am currently running, a TC3, Active Probe, 3xERML and 2xERLL, chain firing the ERLL and grouping the Mediums together. Need 1 more kill for the current event :) Filled the rest of the tonnage with DBL Heat Sinks....still runs really hot.

Thanks,
Fulgar

#18 Woofler

• Pip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 12 posts
  • LocationSydney

Posted 29 November 2015 - 02:12 PM

View Posteyeofjudgement, on 27 November 2015 - 07:12 AM, said:

If it works for you, keep using it mate. Everyone plays a little differently, if you have built your mech to your strengths then roll with it. Meta mechs aren't always the best mechs, they are just the most efficient at continually putting solid numbers into a match. But if you can still achieve good numbers, or even your overall goal using your own build, I encourage it. Always cool seeing a build which is a little against the grain. The more you play around with the Hellbringer and focus on your play style, you'll have a greater understanding of what works and what doesn't.

#19 eyeofjudgement

• PipPip
  • Big Brother
  • 23 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 04:33 AM

yeah i know,but i wanted to test some viable builds next to the one that worked so well

right now i am using the gauss build mentioned above,but i never been a big gauss fan ,even if its nice to shoot an arm with a one-shot.

#20 Fulgar

• PipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 62 posts

Posted 30 November 2015 - 03:14 PM

I ran the 2xUAC/5, 3ERML last night in my drop deck for Faction Warfare. It was quite the fun mech to use. Once you start to heat up, just start using the UAC/5s to chill down :)

Lots of fun, and like once mentioned, not meta'd out to just laser vomit.

Thanks,
Fulgar

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users