The Most Broken Mech In The Game Is An Is Mech

215 replies to this topic

#1 Aresye

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 3,462 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:51 AM

Note, when I talk about the term, "broken," I'm talking about tonnage vs. effectiveness. As in earlier example, the FS9 was broken, especially when the FS9-A was at its all time high with its massive SPL quirks before they got throttled back a bit. Then the ACH became the most broken mech in the game.

After this most recent patch however, the award for most broken mech in this game goes to the BJ-1X.

In this brutal 45t package, we have:
- Doubled internal structure.
- Very good high mounts.
- Slim front and side profile.
- Incredibly maneuverable with MASSIVE acceleration and deceleration quirks.
- Very good laser quirks, including shorter duration.

There is no mech at 45t that comes close to the amount of firepower, maneuverability, survivability (post-patch), hardpoints, and scaling.

It has two weaknesses when compared to the 10t heavier SCR:
- The SCR is better at long-extreme ranges.
- The SCR can run streaks.

Against both Clan and IS laser boats at medium-short engagement ranges however, this mech can out-trade practically everything. Even losing all your armor and having open torso structure doesn't necessitate a switch up in tactics or play style. You can literally keep fighting with near impunity until one of your torsos is cherry red.

Some of the best competitive players have been running the 1X for quite some time now. Even prior to this most recent patch, this mech was the more underground, "secret," meta mech that everybody knew deep down, was way too good for its own good, but nobody would ever admit it, because it's both a medium mech, and an IS one at that.

Now, for those IS purists who will never admit that an IS mech would ever be OP, I'd like you to explain why:

1. If the BJ-1X is NOT OP, then why do I see so many competitive players running this mech so often?
2. If the BJ-1X is NOT OP, then why were there SIX of them on my team last night?
3. If the BJ-1X is NOT OP, then why is my non-elited BJ-1X giving me better games, higher damage, more kills, and longer survivability, than my fully mastered SCRs?

And don't try and throw the whole, "Clan XL" thing in here. The doubled internal structure, accel/decel quirks, and slim profile all make the IS XL disadvantage a completely moot point. Any good player in a 1X that knows how to trade and spread damage well can easily make the 1X survive the entire game.

Hell, even if you make a MASSIVE tactical error, such as last night when I was the last mech on my team and I accidentally poked too far out, facing 3 Marauders with all guns trained on me with all 3 of my torsos down to internals, you can survive. I just simply turned around, rapidly twisting my torso in the process, and got back behind cover. I was hit by 2 of the 3 Marauders during this. My torso internals, which were yellow and orange before, were now dark orange and red, but I survived, and was able to kill 1 of the 3 remaining mechs before finally going down.

This wasn't against bad players either. Last night was full of games with 228, EmP, Tool, -42-, and other groups comprised of very competent players. This mech is just over the top ridiculous.

Edited by Aresye Kerensky, 03 December 2015 - 10:54 AM.

#2 jper4

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:53 AM

remember the good 'ol days when blackjacks were DOA? how times have changed :)

#3 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:54 AM

The best honest answer I can tell you is... there were two posts made in the PTS4 quirks for the mech.

That's how under the radar it got.

The surprise is not entirely on the mech you are referring to though (it's a related variant).

<3 BJs

#4 El Bandito

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 26,736 posts
  • LocationStill doing ungodly amount of damage, but with more accuracy.

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:54 AM

Russ is already considering a small nerf to the BJ-1X, so calm down.

#5 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

View PostEl Bandito, on 03 December 2015 - 10:54 AM, said:

Russ is already considering a small nerf to the BJ-1X, so calm down.

I'm already aware of that. The funny thing is... it was under our balance overlord's watch.

Such greatness!

#6 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:55 AM

I for one welcome the prospect of another medium mech that isn't completely inferior to its heavy and assault overlords.

I don't really buy the whole "effectiveness for tonnage" argument thing because I don't think that a larger mech should instantly equal direct superiority.

#7 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:57 AM

View PostFupDup, on 03 December 2015 - 10:55 AM, said:

I for one welcome the prospect of another medium mech that isn't completely inferior to its heavy and assault overlords.

Vindicator said:

Hello.

I don't really buy the whole "effectiveness for tonnage" argument thing because I don't think that a larger mech should instantly equal direct superiority.

Well, we'll have more of the ACH vs FS9 debates for a little longer (although, lol Spider and certainly lol Cute Fox+Badder).

#8 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:57 AM

OP: We know Posted Image

Then why have tonnage limits?

#9 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:58 AM

View PostTanar, on 03 December 2015 - 10:53 AM, said:

remember the good 'ol days when blackjacks were DOA? how times have changed Posted Image

They were never DOA.

#10 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

View PostGas Guzzler, on 03 December 2015 - 10:57 AM, said:

Then why have tonnage limits?

We shouldn't.

#11 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

View PostFupDup, on 03 December 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

We shouldn't.

I would only agree if and only if our balance overlord wasn't terribad.

#12 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:59 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 03 December 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

I would only agree if and only if our balance overlord wasn't terribad.

Having or not having TL's doesn't change the balancing situation. We've seen in CW and the new group queue that TL's aren't the bee's knees.

#13 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 03 December 2015 - 10:59 AM

I only take the bj1x when we don't have the weight for a crow. Saying this mech is super op is not true at all. It just happens to not suck as much as all the other over sized IS mediums.

Edited by Monkey Lover, 03 December 2015 - 11:01 AM.

#14 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:00 AM

The BJ-1X was a pretty strong chassis before this patch, I have no idea why PGI thought it needed more help.

Even if they wanted to buff them, the sheer amount of structure bonus is ludicrous. I don't understand how PGI can fail so horribly at gameplay balance. Oh wait, Paul runs an XL225 CPLT-K2 with 2xUAC5s and only 2 tons of ammo. I forgot he's in charge of gameplay balance. I'm really glad I haven't spent money on MWO in over a year.

People blame "meta" players for abusing broken builds and balance even though we are the first ones to point out when something is off. Stop balancing this game for scrub-tier players or more sh!t like this will happen. Just looking at the quirks list before the patch even went live it was incredibly easy to tell that it was going to be broken.

Disclaimer: I fully intend to abuse the sh!t out of the BJ-1X in CW and public drops until they fix it.

#15 Alwrathandabout42ninjas

• The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 1,098 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:00 AM

As a competitive player, I can assure you the BJ-1X was a great mech before quirks even came out. I was running 6 ML 2 MPL xl295 years ago, I always knew it was a solid mech.

It is, without a doubt, op now with the quirk buff.

Edited by Alwrath, 03 December 2015 - 11:01 AM.

#16 jper4

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,884 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:01 AM

View PostDeathlike, on 03 December 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

They were never DOA.

sure they were- I remember thread after thread before they came out about how bad they were going to be and no one would use them. then people started noticing you could put an ac20 I them and the age of the BJ-1 began. the DC and 1X were slow and no JJs so no one would ever use them. only the BJ-1 was deemed "ok" at the time.

edit- i'd been using them since the day they came out so i'm on team blackjack but there was a lot of uninterest in it when it first showed up

Edited by Tanar, 03 December 2015 - 11:02 AM.

#17 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,256 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

View Postpwnface, on 03 December 2015 - 11:00 AM, said:

Disclaimer: I fully intend to abuse the sh!t out of the BJ-1X in CW and public drops until they fix it.

I'm going to rack up a lot of team kills this weekend.

But yeah, needs a nerf.

View PostTanar, on 03 December 2015 - 11:01 AM, said:

sure they were- I remember thread after thread before they came out about how bad they were going to be and no one would use them. then people started noticing you could put an ac20 I them and the age of the BJ-1 began. the DC and 1X were slow and no JJs so no one would ever use them. only the BJ-1 was deemed "ok" at the time.

Eh I remember people talking about a nice 42 pt alpha running 116 kph with no ghost heat before quirks. Wasn't meta shattering but could be useful..

#18 Deathlike

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

View PostFupDup, on 03 December 2015 - 10:59 AM, said:

Having or not having TL's doesn't change the balancing situation. We've seen in CW and the new group queue that TL's aren't the bee's knees.

It isn't, but it makes decisions easier.

The Thunderwub-5SS was the primary IS mech taken under every major CW event. Is it a random coincidence?

I don't think it was ever "OP", but the thing was what would have been the proper alternative for the IS based on the state of balance?

It's something that isn't as simple at first look.

#19 pwnface

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,009 posts

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:03 AM

There is a problem when a medium mech out-performs almost any IS heavy. It got a whopping 164 ADDITIONAL structure that it did not need.

#20 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 03 December 2015 - 11:04 AM

View PostFupDup, on 03 December 2015 - 10:58 AM, said:

We shouldn't.

Or at the very least, remove the minimum. I want my light wolf packs back, dang it!

17 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 17 guests, 0 anonymous users