22 replies to this topic

#21 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 21 May 2016 - 12:38 AM

View Postnehebkau, on 13 May 2016 - 07:50 AM, said:

you wrote Refisting then changed it to resisting.... we all know that is what you did.

All I have to say, is that I'll stick with my knife. You guys go ahead refisting and giving people the tip.

Edited by mikerso, 21 May 2016 - 12:38 AM.

#22 Tordin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,936 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:02 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 04 December 2015 - 04:14 AM, said:

Vompo,

As a fan of all things fact based, I agree that the sterotypical horned helm is an inaccurate prop that has been a forced identifier of all things associated with viking culture for a long time (thanks NFL, et al). Nevertheless, it HAS become associated with our collective identification of said culture, inaccurate as it may be.

In this case however, its association with the further sterotype of the raiding, blood thirsty, battle crazed, viking warrior; is in my view entirely appropriate in a video game featuring primarily the act of beating the crap out of one another in big stompy battle machines. In this context, I do believe a bit of historical fudging for the sake of perceived badass-ary is acceptable. Besides as an American it is my civic duty to ignore facts when necessary to perpetuate my own ideals and goals. Posted Image

Its interesting that the horned helmet stereotype started with a Danish writer/ artist back int he 1800 I think? Then the image of horned/ winged helmet portrait of vikings in the national-romantic era got popular, spread to the US later and now it is what it is today.

It was most likely the Goths that used some winged/ horned helmets and only then it was the really rich/ creative chieftains that did that.
The Goths were actually nordics/ scandinavians who returned to were Germany/ France (which again they originated from) are now and fought against the Vandals, which were the germanic people that didnt emigrate to what is now known as Scandinavia/ Nordic countries. The Vandals might also have used winged/ horned helmets. But its not truly known though.

So Im not using the horned helmet badge but the lightning wrath one (mjolnir smashing down with lightning onto a skull). Looks better IMO.

#23 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 21 June 2016 - 07:11 AM

View PostBud Crue, on 03 December 2015 - 02:10 PM, said:

Stupid yes.

-Bud

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic