Pc Doesn't Shut Monitor Off If Game Is Running...

2 replies to this topic

#1 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 04 December 2015 - 03:48 PM

So I've switched to a newerish PC and my old machine would shut the monitor off if it was left idle for a little bit. This new one...if the game is running, even if not logged in, will never shut the monitor off.

Both running Win 7 pro 64x and are essentially identical configurations. If I turn the game off with the new one the screensaver comes up after 30 seconds and shuts the monitor off in five minutes.

Edited by Makenzie71, 04 December 2015 - 03:50 PM.

#2 MeepSire

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 68 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:19 PM

Most games have code that prevents a computer from going to sleep while the game is playing. Nobody wants to have their cut scene come to a abrupt ending right?

As for the differences in the two systems, it's likely something to do with the advanced software configurations or drivers. It could also have to do with the strength of the gpu, an older one would be under higher load in an idle screen and be less likely to signal an "idle" flag to the OS.

#3 cSand

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,589 posts
  • LocationCanada, eh

Posted 15 December 2015 - 07:48 PM

Windows just sees the game running, therefore the system is in use and not idling.

Trust me, it is better than the alternative, which his to have Windows accidentally think you are idling and shut the monitor off in the middle of using a game/app (I have seen software that does this.... bad times :( )

Just one extra click on teh red X will solve this issue for you :P

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users