The Lowly Gargoyle

5 replies to this topic

#1 imp1830

Rookie

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2015 - 02:26 PM

Being an owner of a set of gargoyles from the invasion wave I long have tried to make this mech work. Despite my efforts I could never really effectively get it to function like the fast moving, agile assault it was made out to be. With the recent hotfix, I was given hope, so I busted out smurfy and gave it a shot once again.

With this hotfix, the gargoyle was given the agility it needed so desperately. It is a very fast and much more nimble assault than it ever was. It can torso twist like crazy and kinda reminds me a little of a oversized medium with a decent chunk more armor. That being said, due to the limited hardpoints being mainly energy and the complete lack of tonnage for weapons I have only found one real build that works effectively.

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...a32904b79857db5

This mainly plays somewhat like an oversized centurion, using the left side as a shield arm and only exposing the right arm to blow your load. I was able to hold my own fairly well due to how well this thing is able to twist now. The most I was able to pull was around 660 ish damage for a match which for a garg is pretty damn good. Less so if you start looking at pretty much any other assault (or heavy) in the game.

Experimenting with the garg has given me a lot of insight into what it could use to make it better. This pig has so little options when it comes to hard points, and even if it did, it can't make any use of anything other than energy anyway due to roughly 20 tons of podspace. It suffers heavily from the summoner syndrome as I call it, all the hardpoints being for the most part in the arms. (Un?)Luckily it has plenty of energy hardpoints but due to limited podspace, by the time you actually put any decent number of beams in there, it then becomes so hot that it can't do anything but support from a hiding position so it can cool off.

The biggest and most effective change that could be had without major revamps of how this mech is designed is to give it some pretty hefty -%heat generation quirks, such as like 30%. Specifically on the CTs for all chassis. This gives the mech's currently only use as a laser boat, the possibility to sustain a decent chunk of dps instead of overheating after 2 alphas. Another change I would love to see is to somehow give this thing endosteel for more space or just freeing up some podspace in whatever way you can. As it is right now, after you have enough weapons to even put a dent in someone, you are left with 0 tons for heatsinks. Also, please give it the ability to mount side torso weapons so it can have a little variety.

To sum it up, after the quirkening, it is now very agile and twists like an angel but still lacks the ability to dissapate heat or wield anything formidible as far as weapons go.

#2 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 06 December 2015 - 03:19 AM

I've been bringing something like this:

GAR-D 6 ER ML + UAC/5

It has a nice laser punch and the UAC5 allows me to shoot when heat is high.

#3 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:29 PM

why not just use something simple as this

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...53ad75fd51a8a21

Edited by TheLuc, 06 December 2015 - 02:29 PM.

#4 imp1830

Rookie

• The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 2 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 05:25 PM

View PostTheLuc, on 06 December 2015 - 02:29 PM, said:

why not just use something simple as this

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...53ad75fd51a8a21

Problem with that is it has high up time with a symetric build that forces an easy to hit CT to stare at the target. Reason I came up with my build is to take advantage of this mechs advantages, having the torso twist akin to a medium.

#5 Mad Ox

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 358 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:25 AM

Took awhile to get used to it back in the day, but once I did and finished off pilot skills with its speed and armor found it to be rather reliable. I stuck to stock pods on the 3 given in invasion package to force me to play each differently so I could see its real +/-'s. Limited weapon loads were annoying but at same time allowed me to concentrate and also keep heat under control usually, but you say its improved. Hmmm have to pull the 2 I have left out of moth balls and give them a run. Been on a break for a bit time to go giant robo again.

#6 TheLuc

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 746 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 11:23 AM

View Postimp1830, on 06 December 2015 - 05:25 PM, said:

Problem with that is it has high up time with a symetric build that forces an easy to hit CT to stare at the target. Reason I came up with my build is to take advantage of this mechs advantages, having the torso twist akin to a medium.

all can be fired separately, I don't see the actual issue ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users