• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 8,529 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationNew England

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:43 AM

It's not really the going center that's the problem, per se, but rather, especially in Therma, the camping of access ways and refusal to flank when a frontal assault isn't viable.

#22 Narcissistic Martyr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:50 AM

View PostEscef, on 06 December 2015 - 10:43 AM, said:

It's not really the going center that's the problem, per se, but rather, especially in Therma, the camping of access ways and refusal to flank when a frontal assault isn't viable.

Shame really since the rest of TT is easily the best map in the game

#23 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 17,070 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:52 AM

because the maps are too small and the clock is too short.

remember those 60 minute MWLL games? those huge maps? yea that all made it possible for the game to feel like an evolving battle, than a gladiatorial arena.

#24 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:53 AM

Alternatively, the obsession with solo-poking even when you own the center, causing you to slowly lose 'Mechs and allowing the enemy superior numbers for a push or to just wind the clock down.

View PostLordNothing, on 06 December 2015 - 10:52 AM, said:

because the maps are too small and the clock is too short.

remember those 60 minute MWLL games? those huge maps? yea that all made it possible for the game to feel like an evolving battle, than a gladiatorial arena.

Respawns and resources also helped.

Edited by Yeonne Greene, 06 December 2015 - 10:53 AM.

#25 Revis Volek

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 7,247 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationBack in the Pilots chair

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:57 AM

The trick is to rush to the center with all the pugs, you dont want to lose all those shields, but once you get to the front door just wait on the other side for the puggies to go in and get all shot up. Let their mistakes make your play better...

It really easy.

#26 Champion of Khorne Lord of Blood

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,806 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:59 AM

PUG matches really do feel like herding sheep sometimes.

#27 Narcissistic Martyr

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 4,242 posts
  • LocationLouisville, KY

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:11 AM

View PostFupDup, on 06 December 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

The red doritos are actually Nacho Cheese.

Posted Image

Ah I just remembered that the habanero cheddar ones were bright red chips

#28 Novakaine

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,724 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:15 PM

If your'e a veteran player you need to step up and lead.
Most players will follow.
Those that don't call em out, they usually respond to sound advice.
Just as soon as you get them to act like a team.
The kills flow like water.
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose that's just it.
If you do lose take the blame and let the team know my bad.
There's no " I " in team get them to act like one.
Posted Image

#29 Hawk_eye

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 325 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:19 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 06 December 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

If your'e a veteran player you need to step up and lead.
Most players will follow.
Those that don't call em out, they usually respond to sound advice.
Just as soon as you get them to act like a team.
The kills flow like water.
Sometimes you win and sometimes you lose that's just it.
If you do lose take the blame and let the team know my bad.

Good advice and I´ll try that once I am a bit more familiar with the maps.

Also, thanks for everyone´s replies (yes, even the "PUGs are PUGs" ones Posted Image )

#30 Y E O N N E

• The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:23 PM

View PostNovakaine, on 06 December 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

There is no "I" in "team" but there is most definitely a "me"!

:P

#31 GorlockTheDestroyer

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 64 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:34 PM

What game are you people playing?
90% this happens, 90% that happens!

I see so many threads like this but rarely ever see this crap in game as described on this forum Posted Image

#32 Barantor

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 2,592 posts
  • LocationLexington, KY USA

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:39 PM

View PostFupDup, on 06 December 2015 - 09:11 AM, said:

It's the Pug Overmind™ pulling the strings behind the curtain.

Pugs are naturally attracted to blue and red doritos, and will gravitate in that direction as such. Thus, as more doritos congregate to a single area, the more powerful the "pull" effect becomes. It's a snowball effect, basically. This is also why ECM is so stronk in pug matches: Because it removes the red doritos that pugs crave so much.

Red Dorito =Brawndo... it's what plants/pugs crave.

Posted Image

Edited by Barantor, 06 December 2015 - 12:40 PM.

#33 Wintersdark

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,375 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationCalgary, AB

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:48 PM

Sadly, adaptability is basically non-existent in pugs, for the reasons that have been discussed.

And cowardice rears it's ugly head, too, of course. It's easy to chicken out, and not push in and actually take things. Many players don't feel a win is worth a death, despite the death not meaning anything.

#34 Deathlike

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 29,240 posts
  • Location#NOToTaterBalance #BadBalanceOverlordIsBad

Posted 06 December 2015 - 12:50 PM

PUG magnetism, combined with optimal sightlines for finding the opponent, is the usual reason.

Other ideas tend to be lost on PUGs though.

#35 Kyynele

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 973 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:00 PM

When Terra Therma was new, there were initial attempts to other strategies than just rushing center. Many times in assault those ended in the opposing forces never meeting at all, instead of switching bases and seeing which one could cap it faster. The distance was too great for even lights to get back in time when it became evitable that the enemy had just passed by.

I can tell you that it's pretty much the least amount of fun you can have in this game to walk around 10 minutes, never see any enemies and then either win or lose, with nobody getting any exp or monies. For most players the excitement of getting a 0 dmg win for 10 minutes play wears off quite fast.

When you go mid in TT, you get a fight. Either in the mid itself, or you can see what the enemy does and still get anywhere needed in time.

I also find it funny that some seem to think that the CS:GO players are some kind of superhumans who automatically will have superior strategies over the people that have played the maps for thousands of times. Especially considering some former competitive CS:GO players I know are playing the game already. Some things people do are just common sense. You can't really improve much on common sense. Some things that people commonly do, are indeed stupidity, and that can be improved upon.

Edited by Kyynele, 06 December 2015 - 01:00 PM.

#36 Sable

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 924 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:00 PM

Shooting things is more fun than standing in a square. While i do like game modes that offer an alternative than killing everyone as i've both won and lost games to capping in conquest and assault. I still do not plan on making that my primary objective as it's way more fun to duke it out against other mechs.

#37 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:02 PM

When there's always another deathmatch only 10 minutes away, many people can't be arsed doing anything other than derping into the middle.

#38 Koniks

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 1,301 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:28 PM

View PostBushmaster0, on 06 December 2015 - 09:15 AM, said:

because actual tactics and tactical movement require thought, and most people don't want to think when playing MW:O..they just want to pew pew

They require organization and trust. 2 things that usually aren't found among strangers.

#39 Bellum Dominum

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hitman
  • The Hitman
  • 592 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 01:44 PM

Because lemmings.

#40 Sandpit

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 06 December 2015 - 02:31 PM

View PostAntecursor Venatus, on 06 December 2015 - 09:08 AM, said:

I thought about putting this in "New Players Help", but then decided to post it here.

Ok, not a sparkling brand new player anymore, but one with a couple of weeks of play and something has been bothering me for a while now.

So we get to play on Caustic or Terra or Alpine.
The moment we drop, everyone rushes the center of the map.

I get, that this is a tactically strong position and if we are in Skirmish mode, fine, the objective is to kill the enemy and we try to get there, with the most, first.
That´s sound tactic.

But in Assault?

There is absolutely nothing of strategic value up there.
In Assault, there are exactly TWO objectives, our base and the enemy´s base.

Why don´t we either defend our base in strength and let the enemy come to us - or go in force for the enemy base ourselves.

Is there some rule that we _have_ to go up there, no matter the game mode?
Has experience shown, that whoever holds the center, wins, even if his base is undefended?

I don´t know, it just doesn´t make sense to me.

Well a few things.
One, the middle position is the easiest in terms of being able to shift to any other position on the map

"The blob" strategy "Stick together"

New players don't know where to set up for firing lines a lot of times. It's easier to get new players into a set position like that which is also usually one of the most defensive as well, and then get them all pointed in one direction and focusing fire.

It's where most players head to so that's the easiest way to find the enemy most times.

Taking the middle is not a bad strategy. Peeking and poking in the primary firing lanes, blocking entrances, etc. is what gets people demolished on those maps like that. Terra is the perfect example.

At the start of a Terra match (unless Conquest obviously), the first thing I say to the team without fail "Remember guys, nobody likes a peeping Tom, either bust through that door like you own it and take it or pull completely out of the entrance and lets regroup and devise a plan."
Without fail the teams that pull out of that entrance never get chewed up. The teams that bust through and take that middle ground usually take it and own it, especially if the team we're facing makes the mistake of globbing up in that entrance. I'm not a "hypocrite" either, if I'm in a mech capable of doing it I'm the first one through the door because I know where the cover spots are and exactly where I can set up to shift and repel the enemy so if I take a few hard shots on my way in, that's what my mech is designed to do in the first place. I soak those shots and pave the way for the rest of the team.

Part of the issue with a lot of players lately seems to be them afraid of getting shot. You're going to get shot. You're going to take damage. It's part of the game. Stopping when you get shot to look around is what gets you killed. Target and locate while moving.
Never
ever
Ever
EVER
stop in an entrance or while your team is pushing a position. You stop when you have YOUR positions firmly established. When you stop the ONLY thing you do is make yourself an easy stationary target for the entire enemy team to focus down and block the 3 other assaults and heavie behind you trying to get up there to help you shoot back and prevent you from being the only focus target.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users