Dear Devs

30 replies to this topic

#1 Mermak DiMarco

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:05 PM

Thank you for ruining my love of the Battletech Universe. While I enjoy stomping around in a giant armored behemoth, your treatment of the "match-making" system (Yes I used quotes, since it makes matches, but not balance) is just horribad.

As a single player, this event has brought out what most of us, except yourselves, know. This game is not made for single players. I don't wish to join a group of "Elite" players and play for hours at a time. Sure, I don't expect to be the best person on the team, but I do expect enjoyment, especially if I am paying. Sadly, thats not the case here. If you can't manage to do what most other MOBA games do, and put premades vs premades and singles vs singles, you should seriously look at some further widening of your dev skillset.

Technically, I love the game. The mechs look awesome, I love how the weapon systems work, and I think your battlefields look amazing. I can see you're actively working to try to balance ECM and some of the other mechanics.

How about now, you spend some time catering to those of us who want a FUN game to play, not something that generates more stress?

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:08 PM

Um, bro, if you join the Pug queue then you will only fight other Pugs. You don't have to fight Premades.

#3 -Vompo-

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 532 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:09 PM

You do know there is solo and group queue? Then there is cw (Community warfare) which is open for everybody but is the game mode which is most geared towards large groups.

#4 Lynx7725

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:19 PM

CW is hard mode. Solo PUGgers fights against Solo PUGgers. Team PUGs fight against Team PUGs.

I consistently do badly in CW, but I accept that -- I'm just dabbling there.

I don't drop in Team PUGs.

I do decent to good in Solo PUGs. The games can be challenging, which is fun (if stressful), and rolls aren't as common as the forums might make it out to be. I tend to give as good as I get, but I still f**k up from time to time.

If your problem is in Solo PUGs, the problem is more likely that you have not had time to understand where your build works in a "normal" MLR setup, and ended up in the wrong place at the wrong time.

#5 Alan Davion

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:23 PM

View PostFupDup, on 06 December 2015 - 09:08 PM, said:

Um, bro, if you join the Pug queue then you will only fight other Pugs. You don't have to fight Premades.

And how does that work when there's an event going that requires you to play in CW? The unit I play with dropped as a 12-man for one drop on the 5th and we got rolled worse than I've ever seen.

Everyone in the unit that was online at the time has sworn off CW because of how un-fun the mode is.

Some people want to just play for fun, and when events like this come out, it's something we just can't participate in and that's bad for the player base, which is in turn bad for the game. Imagine if this event was going on just after MWO had launched on Steam? All those steam players would get MLG-REKT worse than anyone, and that's not good for MWO as a whole.

#6 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:28 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 06 December 2015 - 09:23 PM, said:

And how does that work when there's an event going that requires you to play in CW? The unit I play with dropped as a 12-man for one drop on the 5th and we got rolled worse than I've ever seen.

Everyone in the unit that was online at the time has sworn off CW because of how un-fun the mode is.

Some people want to just play for fun, and when events like this come out, it's something we just can't participate in and that's bad for the player base, which is in turn bad for the game. Imagine if this event was going on just after MWO had launched on Steam? All those steam players would get MLG-REKT worse than anyone, and that's not good for MWO as a whole.

People can choose to ignore events, like I do.

Note: I'm not saying I like CW or w/e in its current state.

#7 Crosell

• PipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 46 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:36 PM

you dont have to do every event. Two you dont have to join an elite unit. Three your match score is cumulative so no matter what you are working towards a goal. Its team game in a team match setting. I know the woes of being a pug but im not gonna try to take away the main group focused mode. I dropped with PUG today and had a blast, use faction chat and try and find a fun group.

#8 DJO Maverick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 178 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:42 PM

View PostMermak DiMarco, on 06 December 2015 - 09:05 PM, said:

I don't wish to join a group of "Elite" players and play for hours at a time.

Not all units out there are like that. There are plenty of crews that cater to casual players who can only play sporadically. Even then, it makes a world of difference to have a group of people you can pop online with and coordinate with.

While I can testify that situation is never going to put you on top over an exclusive/elite group that plays every night, you can find yourself putting up a solid fight most of the time and bringing home plenty of wins in CW, and having a LOT more fun in doing so.

Solo players who believe all units are elitists are doing themselves a disservice; there is a unit for just about every personality, playstyle, or time commitment.

#9 Lynx7725

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 09:49 PM

View PostAlan Davion, on 06 December 2015 - 09:23 PM, said:

The event "requires" you to play in CW only if you want the reward. If you don't give a hoot about the rewards, you aren't forced to play. Hell I didn't even want to play in CW in this event, I just started out wanting to earn the last few loyalty points for my next Faction Loyalty level.

It just so happen that Tukkayid 2 made it easier for me to find CW games, so I rolled along. Lost most of the games, got some points and piled enough to win 2 tiers. Close enough to tier 3 and the 2.5 million to think about doing a few more to get it, that's all.

To be very honest if I really push, I probably can earn about 1 to 1.5 mil Cbills from Solo PUGs in the time I would take to wait and grind out the CW, it's really just that shiny new rank I can use in my Faction Loyalty...

#10 Bonger Bob

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 373 posts
  • LocationPerth, WA

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:23 PM

Fix clan war so premades go vs premades and casuals go vs casual. But then Russ will cry because ppl will flood his twit feed over long wait times for a match due to the current low player base issues. Now before people start war over the player base issue, do i need to remind you all why we have match voting now ??, Russ's own words were to the effect of match maker having problems due to low player numbers and it was brought in to help those issues and bring shorter wait times.

its an issue that shouldn't even need solving if PGI could actually progress the development of the game, but they can't cause there to busy doing balancing that shouldn't need doing, which is getting harder for them everyday because the keep releasing new mechs ( widening the gap on addressing the existing balance issues ). Its a circular problem of their own making, and its only compounded further by every mech they release.

and im sure we'll have someone point out that CW is still beta, sooooooo..........

for a "released" title, these things should have already been addressed loooooong ago. Its not like things like this haven't happened before in so many titles, or perhaps Russ is fine with pugs being fodder for roflstomp premades.

#11 iLLcapitan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 654 posts
  • LocationBirdhouse

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:41 PM

Guys seriously, once in a year you get to play CW and expect to do decent? It's totally different from the publicqueue, the tactics, the maps, the clan/IS difference, the everything. Now to make your experience better you want to seperate the population of the gamemode you hardly play at all? Kidding? Trolling?

#12 Johnny Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 9,942 posts
  • LocationDueling on Solaris

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:48 PM

I think I see the problem. The star map doesn't have a nascar mode yet. :)

#13 Chrome Magnus

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 274 posts

Posted 06 December 2015 - 10:56 PM

It's not so much the singles vs premades as it is new singles who don't play CW/have trial mechs vs experienced/better equiped premades. I've never done CW as a group and have close to a 40/60 (loss) win ratio which isn't bad. Of course most of the time it's not during events in which players are experiencing it for the first time and venturing forth with crud mechs.

Right now the population and the number of planets to fight on makes selective mode difficult as wait times would jump. Hopefully the steam launch will help with this.

Oh, and my personal rant. I ended my last match needing 1 more point to get the goodies. One. More. Point... lol

#14 Alistair Winter

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Storm
  • Storm
  • 10,823 posts
  • LocationBergen, Norway, FRR

Posted 06 December 2015 - 11:05 PM

View PostJohnny Z, on 06 December 2015 - 10:48 PM, said:

I think I see the problem. The star map doesn't have a nascar mode yet. Posted Image

Damn. As soon as you said that, the factions are going to start Nascaring around the galaxy map, going clockwise and counter-clockwise around Terra. It's going to be the meta-Nascar.

I'm calling it right now.

#15 MauttyKoray

• 2,831 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 01:56 AM

Quick Play
Single Queue: No groups, just individuals.
Group Queue: Groups of 2-10 and 12.

Community Warfare
One Queue: Groups and singles are mixed together to form full 12 man teams.

It has nothing to do with MM. Community Warfare is not meant to be 'Balanced' in the traditional way that the Quick Play queue is with player skill and mech tonnages. I understand the event is going on right now, but you DONT HAVE TO PARTICIPATE. Just hit Quick Play and go back into the solo queue if you want MM to balance your matches for you.

Community Warfare is and was always intended to be the higher level of play for organized groups and experienced solo players.

#16 sycocys

• Moderate Giver
  • Moderate Giver
  • 7,600 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 03:52 AM

If you spend 99% of your play time in standard queue solo dropping and refusing to coordinate/learn/practice teamwork and then expect to drop into a mode designed specifically to require teamwork - and - expect to perform at any level other than terrible, who is really at fault?

#17 Ezekeel666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 04:30 AM

View Postsycocys, on 07 December 2015 - 03:52 AM, said:

If you spend 99% of your play time in standard queue solo dropping and refusing to coordinate/learn/practice teamwork and then expect to drop into a mode designed specifically to require teamwork - and - expect to perform at any level other than terrible, who is really at fault?

If you are a developer of a niche F2P game and build a game mode that the majority of players cannot enjoy who really is at fault?

#18 Alan Davion

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 2,333 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:18 AM

View PostBonger Bob, on 06 December 2015 - 10:23 PM, said:

Fix clan war so premades go vs premades and casuals go vs casual. But then Russ will cry because ppl will flood his twit feed over long wait times for a match due to the current low player base issues. Now before people start war over the player base issue, do i need to remind you all why we have match voting now ??, Russ's own words were to the effect of match maker having problems due to low player numbers and it was brought in to help those issues and bring shorter wait times.

its an issue that shouldn't even need solving if PGI could actually progress the development of the game, but they can't cause there to busy doing balancing that shouldn't need doing, which is getting harder for them everyday because the keep releasing new mechs ( widening the gap on addressing the existing balance issues ). Its a circular problem of their own making, and its only compounded further by every mech they release.

and im sure we'll have someone point out that CW is still beta, sooooooo..........

for a "released" title, these things should have already been addressed loooooong ago. Its not like things like this haven't happened before in so many titles, or perhaps Russ is fine with pugs being fodder for roflstomp premades.

And you know what, if they'd balanced things properly from the start, i.e, making the whole game be IS only until they'd worked their way through ALL IS mechs first, having a proper heat cap and proper ECM/BAP mechanics, along with a few others I can't think of right now... Maybe they wouldn't be having so many GD problems with the overall game balance?

But no, we had the Clans thrust upon the game before it was ready, with an insane heat cap, broken ECM/BAP mechanics and a whole slew of other problems. So yes, this is a problem of PGI's own making, and it's going to continue to be that way until they get the core issues sorted out once and for all.

Drastically lowering the heat cap is frankly the best thing they can do right now, people should not be able to fire all the crap they do as fast as they currently can. Once that's done, balancing weapons and junk will become immensely easier.

#19 Ekyo

• PipPip
  • The Blood Bound
  • The Blood Bound
  • 42 posts

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:21 AM

I played the event as a solo player, even without the lfg tool.
And besides all the inconveniances of CW, it was not that bad. Approx. 350 matchscore per game and you are done in around 10 - 15 matches.
And yes, even if you are getting stomped by a premade group you can get 300+ matchscore.

#20 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 07 December 2015 - 07:27 AM

Just do like me and don't play Community Warfare. It needs more baking time.

12 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 12 guests, 0 anonymous users