61 replies to this topic

#41 Rejarial Galatan

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts
  • LocationOutter Periphery

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:33 AM

@VinJade there is also the matter of, in some cases, you are fully armed <all weapons are functional, ammo levels are what ever they are at this point> but you are the sole, single survivor facing 4+ enemy mechs still active. At this point, your death if you engage is assured, and thus, a tactical retreat is a valid, SANE choice. After all, I am not here to die on the altar of some impatient nutters ego.

#42 VinJade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:43 AM

@RG
As long as you are doing the objective then you are not breaking the rules.

#43 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 26 March 2016 - 08:06 AM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 26 March 2016 - 12:33 AM, said:

@VinJade there is also the matter of, in some cases, you are fully armed <all weapons are functional, ammo levels are what ever they are at this point> but you are the sole, single survivor facing 4+ enemy mechs still active. At this point, your death if you engage is assured, and thus, a tactical retreat is a valid, SANE choice. After all, I am not here to die on the altar of some impatient nutters ego.

If you have weapons, than you need to use them to play the game mode.

When I say game mode, if it's skirmish, than you need to still engage the enemy if you have weapons (but nothing says you have to rush blindly and suicidal into their weapons either). If it's a mode were you can capture to win, than you can always pursue that option (with or without weapons).

As long as you play the game mode, than you are classified as participating. If you are weaponless and decide to run around to avoid detection in Skirmish, you are at least still participating by placing input into your mech and moving it around the battlefield. (Unlike hiding in a corner, shut down, unable to see anything.) However, such an action is pushing the boundaries of "fair play" and sportsmanship.

I would like to remind everyone that, this is a game. As such, you need to play the game, and by pressing launch (quickplay, whatever button is required past or future to get into a match) you agree to actually play the game.

As it's a game, there is no such thing as "survive to fight another day", as you already will. This game does not really penalize you for a death, so there is no reason to hold back to prevent a death. This is, however, not to say that one can't perform a tactical retreat while in a match, to regroup, reform and approach the enemy from a more tactical position/angle.

I personally find it more honorable play (better sportsmanship) that if I am the last member of the team and/or I am weaponless (unless I can try to capture), than I will try to still engage the enemy as best I can, help my team out as best I can, and if I have no choice, I will try to ram you to get those couple more damage points in the match and provide my opponent with my death and increase their rewards for that match. (Though rare, I have killed mechs with a ram before. Sadly it's normally a friendly mech when it happens, and they rammed me... but the point still remains.)

As someone else stated, I've also been very known to try and use my mech as a shield for teammates when I'm weaponless and/or (even) when I see an ally who is really getting pounded on. I've bought them time to retreat, cool off, and reengage before. Tactically for your team (in a game setting), this is far more viable of a tactic than hiding, when it is an option.

As this is a game, I like to try and do things honorably and with good sportsmanship in mind. This doesn't mean I have to rush in and die, but it also means I'm not going to shut down in a corner and wait for the match to end either by needlessly running down the clock. The only time I aim to run down the clock, is when that action would result in a victory (such as with FW and/or how the new victory conditions for some game modes are now). If no victory can result for my team by time out, than it is pointless and not following the spirit of the game by doing so.

#44 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 26 March 2016 - 12:02 PM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 26 March 2016 - 12:08 AM, said:

I find you appalling. If by either luck or good tactical thought, I manage to be the last man standing, I am sure as hell not about to just willingly die so you can get on to the next match and die again. See, some people give a crap about things like KDR or what tier they are in, and try to protect that, others, and I fall into this category, try to fight as a warrior of what ever faction they are a member of, and if that means, taking my 100 tons of assault mech that &lt;by some act of god has run out of 1560 rounds of CUAC10 ammo&gt; and I am weaponless so to speak, I will do what I can, with in my skill set to avoid detection and run the clock out. That, sadly seems to be a problem for you, for me, it is what one calls discretion, and discretion as they say, is the better part of valor. Usually, lucky for you, the match ends before I can empty my mech of its ammo, or I die, but, never the less, NO ONE and i mean NO ONE is obligated to die to speed things along. Escape and evasion is just as valid as engaging. There is a thing called a tactical retreat. Learn it, love it. deal with it.

If death had any kind of penalty, then you would have a point. As it stands, prolonging a match just to protect something as utterly pointless aa your precious KDR (a stat no one can even see unless you actually tell them) is just selfish stupidity.

Right now there is no reward for surviving a match. It doesn't even affect your PSR. A so-called "tactical retreat" only makes sense in the context of a single match, where you regroup with teammates to try to increase your chances of victory.

If you're the last man trying to stall for time in a match you have absolutely zero chance of winning, then you're selfish and a poor sport. You're not helping your team in any way. The only thing you're protecting is an utterly irrelevant stat only you get to see.

#45 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 01:33 PM

Kaeb Odellas If my understanding of this odd pilot tier thing is correct, you are in the second from the top tier yes? SO, lets put this into perspective for you.

Let me paint you sir or maam a situation, also, please, tell me which one of those is correct for you so that I may properly address you. You are in a quick play match, the map is say, caustic valley, the mode, lets say is skirmish. A combo we have all seen I am sure. Ok, lets add some detail. You are in, for sake of argument a TimberWolf. Your team is especially dopey and in the first say, 3 minutes and 40 seconds has been cut in half with the enemy being bruised and battered but no mech more than 50% damaged. 2 of your lance are gone and the entire alpha lance are gone and dead. Leaving you a full charlie lance of say, a pair of dire wolves, a king crab and lets say an executioner.

At this point, lets say, you have scored a pair of KMDDs, a solo kill and an assist. The enemy has been culled to only 5 mechs remaining, but, at this point, YOU are the LAST SURVIVING mech of your side, you are, and you KNOW that should you survive, you press into tier 1. However, there is a full 7 minutes left on the match clock. You know, and i mean KNOW that a death here prevents your ascending. What do you do? I should add in, you have only a machine gun left, 1 salvo of SSRM and 2 LRM salvos left, you KNOW its a lost cause at this point, there is precisely NOTHING you can do to win let alone kill anything. What do you do? ride the clock out? Die? What do you do?

I would wager you ride the clock out, because it seems that little 1, 2, 3 is some mystical measuring stick that people obsess over. Me, I dont care if im tier 1 or tier 100, I ride the clock out. I am the type who refuses to stat feed others if I can help it. See, when it affects you, and not some random player, it changes your attitude, because, as can be proven time and again, people are selfish and only look out for themselves. No one, and I mean NO ONE is obligated to stroke anyone elses ego on the altar of impatience. By all rights, if I am the sole survivor, or even if YOU are the sole survivor, YOU own the ending to that match. Not some princess screaming at you to just end it because he or she is too impatient to let you play it out how you see fit, because, lets face facts, in the end, it is YOUR cbills or YOUR credit card that purchased the mech you are in, not me, not them.

#46 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 26 March 2016 - 11:34 PM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 26 March 2016 - 01:33 PM, said:

Kaeb Odellas If my understanding of this odd pilot tier thing is correct, you are in the second from the top tier yes? SO, lets put this into perspective for you.

Let me paint you sir or maam a situation, also, please, tell me which one of those is correct for you so that I may properly address you. You are in a quick play match, the map is say, caustic valley, the mode, lets say is skirmish. A combo we have all seen I am sure. Ok, lets add some detail. You are in, for sake of argument a TimberWolf. Your team is especially dopey and in the first say, 3 minutes and 40 seconds has been cut in half with the enemy being bruised and battered but no mech more than 50% damaged. 2 of your lance are gone and the entire alpha lance are gone and dead. Leaving you a full charlie lance of say, a pair of dire wolves, a king crab and lets say an executioner.

At this point, lets say, you have scored a pair of KMDDs, a solo kill and an assist. The enemy has been culled to only 5 mechs remaining, but, at this point, YOU are the LAST SURVIVING mech of your side, you are, and you KNOW that should you survive, you press into tier 1. However, there is a full 7 minutes left on the match clock. You know, and i mean KNOW that a death here prevents your ascending. What do you do? I should add in, you have only a machine gun left, 1 salvo of SSRM and 2 LRM salvos left, you KNOW its a lost cause at this point, there is precisely NOTHING you can do to win let alone kill anything. What do you do? ride the clock out? Die? What do you do?

I would wager you ride the clock out, because it seems that little 1, 2, 3 is some mystical measuring stick that people obsess over. Me, I dont care if im tier 1 or tier 100, I ride the clock out. I am the type who refuses to stat feed others if I can help it. See, when it affects you, and not some random player, it changes your attitude, because, as can be proven time and again, people are selfish and only look out for themselves. No one, and I mean NO ONE is obligated to stroke anyone elses ego on the altar of impatience. By all rights, if I am the sole survivor, or even if YOU are the sole survivor, YOU own the ending to that match. Not some princess screaming at you to just end it because he or she is too impatient to let you play it out how you see fit, because, lets face facts, in the end, it is YOUR cbills or YOUR credit card that purchased the mech you are in, not me, not them.

You do not seem to realize how PSR seems to work.

Death only subtracts something like 5-10 points from your match score, and if you suicide it gets a little higher.

If you CAUSE DAMAGE, it will increase your match score, thus increase your chances of increasing in PSR rank. Often times, one will not know what their match score (the determining factor if someone goes up, down or remains steady in PSR) until the match ends. Thus, there is little to no way to actually know if a death would be the 5-10 points preventing an increase in PSR/tier. Even then, if you are that close in Match Score that a death will remove your chances of going up, landing more damage (about 10-20 points) would negate the reduced match score caused by a death.

So, in your implied example, you would be better off attacking still. Land those LRM volleys onto a target, and you probably already countered the death penalty. If they have internals exposed, using the SSRMs and MG to damage them probably could do it with even less damage, just vie possible component destruction.

You, from your own admission here, seem to be a very poor sportsman. You will deny your opponents rewards, even if they have basically already earned it. You would rather hinder other players, for the invisible sake of increasing your own non-existent gains. This is because you seem to be under a large misconception on how certain game functions happen to work.

If you have no other options (out of weapons) and no way to win (skirmish), than literally "leaping onto the swords of your enemy" is actually an action that doesn't hurt you in any way, and only rewards other players in the match. However, you seem to remain selfish and self centered, instead of considerate to your fellow players.

I'm starting to think you may be trolling us, or you really don't understand some concepts and functions of the game...

#47 Rejarial Galatan

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,312 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 02:41 AM

Tesunie you gravely misunderstand. I am quite the sportsman actually. If I die in a fair fight, then thems the breaks. If I make a tactical error and run into a gaggle of my enemy and die? Oops. However, this is NOT THE SAME as being expected to die just to hurry things along. I have every right to prolong the match as the sole survivor. You see, I care very little if you my enemy get points or not or how you do or not, right up until you demand I die. See, that is being a poor sport to demand a person yield to you because they out played you and your ego is bruised. If I play smart enough to outlast my team, then, guess what, I'm going to savor every second I am on my feet continuing my best efforts to deny you the kill. I'm going to continue to also savor your tears as you cry foul as I do this, because, no rule, none, states I must capitulate to your ego or anyone else's to hurry you along.

Oh, one last thing, I play to relax, not farm stats. I spent a long while on other games stat farming, and in the end, the fact I have a 1.5km head shot on bf4 is a pointless boon. Getting a high match score or a low one or 10 kills or none mean nothing. My metric? Did I enjoy the moment? Did I enjoy the moment, THAT is the metric. Not tiers, not psr, not wins or losses. And if I out foxed you to a draw or a denial of the kill on me, well, that's nice too.

Edited by Rejarial Galatan, 27 March 2016 - 02:45 AM.

#48 KursedVixen

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 3,181 posts
  • LocationLook at my Arctic Wolf. Closer... Closer...

Posted 27 March 2016 - 03:33 AM

another factor i'd like to put into this say all 5 of the surviging enemy mechs have ECm how is he suppose to use his LRms? Say they don't have ECM but radar derp? at some point in the game he cannot use LRms, also he said he has only one volley of missles for each, i don't think that's enough to kill 5 people, even if they are all open.

#49 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:46 AM

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 27 March 2016 - 02:41 AM, said:

You see, I care very little if you my enemy get points or not or how you do or not, right up until you demand I die.

You see, this is where you are wrong. If you were a good sportsman, you'd understand that you had no chance to win, would try to continue to deal damage as much as you can (running for better position and/or to spread your opponents out to increase your chances to deal more damage/kills is perfectly acceptable) to increase your own rewards, and when the time came would be willing to let the enemy kill you (depending upon the situation) so that they too could get as much reward out of the match.

Running around weaponless with no chance to increase your match score by damage, and hiding and shutting down in a corner waiting for the timer to run out (unless there is a way your team can win if the timer runs out, as I said, situation dependent) is not good sportsmanship. It's not being active in the game.

We aren't asking you to throw yourself onto the enemy sword without a fight, if you can fight. We aren't asking you to throw the match that you could still possibly win, if you are still participating and trying to still win. It's the needless extension of the match to try and hide and preserve a K/D rate no one else can that (or to raise in PSR because you don't understand how it works) that is rather poor sportsmanship.

Just like running out of bounds to deny the enemy actively killing you the kill and damage from your kill (and components destruction too) is poor sportsmanship. Or (what people use to do before they fixed it) logging out of a match before someone could kill you so they couldn't get the kill, and it didn't count against your K/D rate because they neither killed you nor did you die.

Prolonging the match to run the timer is a "situational dependent" item.
- Do you have weapons? Yes? Than you should be using them somehow, even if it's to set up ambushes and stuff.
- Can you still fight? Yes? Than you should be trying to still fight, to the best of your ability. (Which can include spreading your opponents out, singling them out and then trying to kill them from an unexpected angle.)
- (If the previous answers are no) Will ending the match by timer produce a win or increase your rewards? Yes? Than stall the timer and do everything you can to win the match. Anyone who whines about it under these circumstances are being poor sports and just want a quick match and a quick win. If you have a chance to win, pursue it and always try to win the match (the intent of the game).

With a few exceptions to these rules* (there always are exceptions or possible exceptions to every rule), you should always be trying to win and fight. If you can do neither (last mech with no weapons) than you, for the sake of good sportsmanship and consideration to your fellow players, probably should seek out an enemy target and "ram them", letting them kill you and increase their earnings. (This doesn't mean you can't make them earn it a bit, but there is no reason with current game mechanics to not let them get your kill. It does no real harm to you, besides to an invisible K/D score no one else can see.)

* Keep in mind with above statement the established rules of fair play already mentioned. I'm not saying to rush out and get yourself killed in the first engagement. Fight as best you can, try to always win the match, and when the time come and the situation can't be prevented due to last stated rule, than let the enemy kill you so they can earn their rewards as they probably should. It does not hurt you to be kind to your opponents in that case.

View PostRejarial Galatan, on 27 March 2016 - 02:41 AM, said:

Oh, one last thing, I play to relax, not farm stats. I spent a long while on other games stat farming, and in the end, the fact I have a 1.5km head shot on bf4 is a pointless boon. Getting a high match score or a low one or 10 kills or none mean nothing. My metric? Did I enjoy the moment? Did I enjoy the moment, THAT is the metric. Not tiers, not psr, not wins or losses. And if I out foxed you to a draw or a denial of the kill on me, well, that's nice too.

Than... why all the "it reduces my PSR/Match score/rewards/ego for them to kill me" from before?

By all accounts, if you were playing for the reasons you state (which are my reasons for playing any game), than you actually would prefer to die in a hopeless/weaponless/no-chance-to-win situation, as described in several different manners to you/by you.

Dieing would let the match end sooner, reward your fellow players, and let you get into the next match all that much faster. (Within reason of course, as I would have hopped to have made clear with above "rules" statement.) So, actually, it doesn't increase enjoyment of the game (yours or theirs) by needlessly dragging on the timer and avoiding combat, as well as any action to deny your opponent a (your) kill (such as by intentional suicide).

I play mechs and the game to have fun. I don't show my tier level (which is T3) for a distinct reason on these forums. One reason is because it doesn't matter much to me. Another reason is that I don't want people to "refute" advise or information about game mechanics simply based on my tier level (I've seen it happen once so far on the forums). I don't play for a tier, I play to have fun. But, while I'm trying to have fun, I'll also consider the fun of my fellow players as well, and will try to be considerate to them as well. (Like, for one example, I will try not to stand in front of an allies weapons. I may have more fun shooting, but if I intentionally block an allies weapons, I deny them that fun, hinder my team, risk being shot, etc.)

So far, your perspective and mannerisms in this thread seem to indicate you care more for stats than you do fun. Maybe you just aren't saying things as you intended, or we aren't reading your tone of voice right. Your stance on the subject seem to be all over the place, and any examples you present seem to be based on competitive stats (not wanting to pad someone else stats as an example) or raising in PSR (from an earlier response with a made up situation: "you KNOW that should you survive, you press into tier 1"). If you don't care about those things, than can you see our confusion? Your previous statements doesn't match this statement you've mentioned, 'fun being your metric to base the game'.

#50 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 27 March 2016 - 09:55 AM

View PostKursedVixen, on 27 March 2016 - 03:33 AM, said:

another factor i'd like to put into this say all 5 of the surviging enemy mechs have ECm how is he suppose to use his LRms? Say they don't have ECM but radar derp? at some point in the game he cannot use LRms, also he said he has only one volley of missles for each, i don't think that's enough to kill 5 people, even if they are all open.

True. But, in your opinion, which action is more in line with good sportsmanship and the intent of the game with that example?
- Hiding in a corner powered down/running away, waiting for the match timer to end (in a loss).
- Continue to try and fight, sneak up on opponents, use the LRMs if you can, send that last SSRM volley and your MGs into a target, and go out fighting.

To me, even the second option helps his PSR and earnings, as it will increase their match score (or at least try to). May even get lucky and drop another target or two. (I can recall a match I was in a near dead legged Cicada, and I still had 4 enemy mechs alive. Somehow (and don't as how, I don't know), I managed to win the match as the enemy fell off a ridge to hunt me down one (or two) at a time. I shot once into them, and they died. They never hit me to finish me off. (Was a long time ago, FYI.) (Of course, had the charged me all at once, they would have won.) It also helps out the other players (opponents) with their match score, PSR and rewards. I see no loss on either side for the beaten up Timberwolf player to at least continue to try and fight. If they die, more rewards goes to the victors. If they can deal more damage, than they too will gain more rewards. I see no downfall except to K/D rates (which no one can see).

If one can, it is always a better option to fight in this game. There are no real penalties to death, so one might as well go out fighting in my opinion. Of course, depending upon the game mode being played that is...

#51 Erdelmaine RANDIS

• PipPip
  • The Patron
  • The Patron
  • 46 posts
  • LocationRANDIS IV

Posted 28 April 2016 - 03:42 AM

View PostTesunie, on 26 March 2016 - 08:06 AM, said:

When I say game mode, if it's skirmish, than you need to still engage the enemy if you have weapons (but nothing says you have to rush blindly and suicidal into their weapons either). If it's a mode were you can capture to win, than you can always pursue that option (with or without weapons).
Even in SKIRMISH it makes sense to deny the enemy the last kill, to minimize their rewards AND to keep them locked in the game while your teammates can press ESC to QUIT, select a different mech in the mechlab, and do another drop while the superior team is still locked in a game, giving them a better chance to get opponents they can defeat in the next game ;P

Edited by Erdelmaine RANDIS, 28 April 2016 - 03:43 AM.

#52 Elendil

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 130 posts

Posted 28 April 2016 - 01:42 PM

I like charging into enemies after my mech has been castrated, and I've never intentionally suicided in any other way.
Usually I'll try to spot or whatever though, if we have any kind of chance.

I also think surrendering yourself for destruction is a display of respect for your opponent, and should be reserved for enemies who have earned it as a reward for a fight well fought.
A premade rolling over a PUG doesn't deserve respect, and I fully support anyone who suicides in protest.

If all you care about is that extra kill, well, then you're just plain greedy.
Doesn't matter if you think you've "earned" it by winning the match, if it was a faceroll you earned nothing, and deserve nothing.
You're just greedy and want another easy, dishonorable kill to pad your stats.

You can disagree and hide behind the "law", but law does not legislate morality. Illegal things are frequently completely moral, and legal things are often totally immoral.

Personally I still prefer fighting the enemy to my last breath, but not everyone shows defiance the same way.

Edited by Elendil, 28 April 2016 - 05:29 PM.

#53 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:02 AM

what bothers me now is the fact Flamers can and will force another player to ether allow a forced shut down or to explode because the other player refused to shut down because of the player.

If the player allows the enemy to cause them to explode it is counted as suicide which can be reported as it is 'against' the rules.

however they need to remove that completely as people with Flamers causes the suicide in the first place because the player refuses to allow them to gang R*** them without a fight.

#54 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:41 AM

View PostVinJade, on 29 April 2016 - 12:02 AM, said:

what bothers me now is the fact Flamers can and will force another player to ether allow a forced shut down or to explode because the other player refused to shut down because of the player.

If the player allows the enemy to cause them to explode it is counted as suicide which can be reported as it is 'against' the rules.

however they need to remove that completely as people with Flamers causes the suicide in the first place because the player refuses to allow them to gang R*** them without a fight.

It does count as a "Suicide" by game terms.

It does not break the ToS or CoC, and thus no one can be banned for overheating and killing themselves while in active combat.

I also believe that Flamers still can only bring an opponent's heat up to a certain amount (and then stops, I believe it's 90%). Above that amount, it will only reduce the cool down.

Most times, a flamer using mech will overheat itself before it brings an opponent to any real danger, unless that opponent activates override and continues to fight, but at that point the flamers really aren't doing all that much and it's the player killing themselves instead. Even then, this combat kind of "suicide" is not against any rules of the game. Its only intentional, willful, and repeated suicides as a manner to avoid playing the game, to grief the team, or to kill yourself needlessly in a match. (AKA: Never hit combat, overheated yourself shooting as soon as you spawned, and died. This is against the ToS and CoC of this game.)

I shall remind people again, yes the reporting system got streamlined with in game abilities. No, no one gets automatically banned because "so many people reported them". A moderator (person) still checks the log and sees what happened, to see if anything wrong did happen and than doles out punishment from there if it is needed. You are not judged by a computer script that likes to go ban happy.

#55 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 08:15 AM

View PostErdelmaine RANDIS, on 28 April 2016 - 03:42 AM, said:

Even in SKIRMISH it makes sense to deny the enemy the last kill, to minimize their rewards AND to keep them locked in the game while your teammates can press ESC to QUIT, select a different mech in the mechlab, and do another drop while the superior team is still locked in a game, giving them a better chance to get opponents they can defeat in the next game ;P

Please explain to me again, with detail, how "denying" a fellow player rewards and "locking them in a game" (for any reason, which by the way is against the new CoC/ToS) hunting a sole survivor is "good sportsmanship"? Would YOU want someone to do that to you, and deny you rewards that will be yours eventually and/or be locked in a game for possibly 10 extra minutes wondering around unable to leave (without penalty)?

Your sense of good sportsmanship is in serious doubt...

#56 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 06:22 AM

@Tes
I think I can understand where he is coming from, playing hide and Seek is still playing the game as they are in a way still fighting by moving around.

though at that point I think an option to eject(end match) would be needed.

#57 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 01 May 2016 - 09:42 PM

View PostVinJade, on 01 May 2016 - 06:22 AM, said:

@Tes
I think I can understand where he is coming from, playing hide and Seek is still playing the game as they are in a way still fighting by moving around.

though at that point I think an option to eject(end match) would be needed.

I can understand not just giving an easy kill, but if you literally have no way to win or fight (read as no weapons left and it's skirmish), than trying to ram the enemy is the only last resort left to fight with. Might as well try to end the match that much sooner (keep in mind that the concept is that you are the last mech standing on your team) and just let the enemy earn the kill they kinda deserve.

However, if there is any chance of winning the match by avoiding combat, than that is a different issue. Or if one is simply running and waiting to ambush a more spread out opposition. Each are acceptable tactical options. But, if there is literally no way to win nor to continue fighting, might as well not hide and needlessly prolong the fight.

A lot of what I'm saying is sorta situational dependent. I do realize there will probably be exceptions to it from time to time. However, as it's a game. One might as well let other players earn more rewards when possible. It's just good sportsmanship and common courtesy to try and have all players have a fun game with maximum rewards possible (obviously without hindering yourself or your team in the process).

Maybe it's just me, but if I have no weapons and is the last man standing, I'll let the enemy get the rewards for my destruction and end the match that much sooner. It does not hurt me to let them do so, and actually ending the match sooner is more or less a benefit to myself as well compared to needlessly extending the match. (I'll even try to spread the damage so they gain as much reward from my death in that situation, if I can. Presuming I'm last with no weapons left, a rather rare situation I find.)

#58 Carl Vickers

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 2,649 posts
  • LocationPerth

Posted 01 May 2016 - 10:35 PM

View PostErdelmaine RANDIS, on 28 April 2016 - 03:42 AM, said:

Nope nope nope, unless it is a 12 man in the group queue you are generally not going to get exactly the same team a second time, similar but not the same. Stop trying to be like a matyr, get it over and done with, stop locking my mech in a match you cant win. If it is 2 on 1 you have a chance, if it is 5 on 1, unless they are all cored you prolly dont have a chance. Assess the situation and react accordingly.

Edited by Carl Vickers, 01 May 2016 - 10:36 PM.

#59 VinJade

• 1,211 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 02:02 AM

@CV
By depriving the enemy of the final kill by keep moving is a fair tactic to use as it is fighting by staying alive and yes that would annoy or anger some people but it isn't breaking any rules ether.

as for me Personally, I have shielded a few players with my Stalker at times when I had nothing left to offer, but lets face it a legged stalkers isn't going anywhere fast, lol.

and I have been the last man on my team before, taking pot shots with my lasers, hiding and using my LRMs and moving on again.

Back when I still used an Adder I actually managed to hide for about five minutes waiting for an enemy to cross my path.

One Missile rack left, and ER Small Laser left, and a wounded shadow cat came past me and didn't even notice me(I am guessing it's AP & ECM was trashed) and I waited until it was 450 meters away and I powered up fired my LRM rack cored it but failed to kill it and got close enough and finished it off with my Small Laser.

few moments later a Locust with an AC 2 finished me off with a single hit to my back... never seen it coming....

#60 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts

Posted 02 May 2016 - 08:58 AM

View PostVinJade, on 02 May 2016 - 02:02 AM, said:

@CV
By depriving the enemy of the final kill by keep moving is a fair tactic to use as it is fighting by staying alive and yes that would annoy or anger some people but it isn't breaking any rules ether.

Running is NOT fighting.

Straight from the CoC.

• Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory.

Soooooo.... Yeah. It kinda is breaking a rule... Posted Image

Edit: Keep in mind that, moving and still attacking (AKA: Moving to disperse your opponents and try to get a tactical advantage to attack from) is not what has been typically discussed when "running away" has been mentioned here. The main point of "running" was added in with "hiding" with the concept of "I have no weapons left, is the last mech on my team, and I'm going to hide so they can't kill me". If you have weapons, and you are hiding (shut down facing a wall, and even running out of bounds to prematurely end your life to deny the enemy your kill) than you are breaking the ToS. If you have no weapons and are hiding to simply run down the timer and deny your death, that is also breaking the ToS.

However, if your actions are at least an attempt to bring victory, than you are fine. Such as waiting to run down the clock while your team is ahead on conquest capture points is fine. Or running to the enemy base to capture is also fine. Shutting down and/or hiding in Skirmish when you are the last mech alive on your team with no intention to continue the fight is not fine.

I'd suggest a lot of people who are posting in this thread to read the ToS/CoC we all agreed to when we downloaded the game...

Edited by Tesunie, 02 May 2016 - 09:06 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users