I Haven't Seen Anyone Talk About The Merlin...

26 replies to this topic

#1 TELEFORCE

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Ardent
  • The Ardent
  • 1,554 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:39 AM

I've seen the Assassin mentioned, the Clint, but no Merlin!

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a 60-ton Inner Sphere battlemech, and actually would be one of the Inner Sphere's newer designs as far as the game is concerned since its production began in 3010. In its stock configuration, the 'mech travels at about 64 kph, which was standard IS heavy 'mech speed at the time. The 'mech is also jump-capable, with four jump jets.

And of course, Alex Iglesias can make the 'mech look prettier!

The MLN-1A mounts a PPC, 2 medium lasers, a flamer, a machine gun, and a LRM-5, with 18 single heat sinks total. Basically LA: 1E, RA: 1E, LT: 1E, 1B, RT: 1E, 1M

The MLN-1B removes the machine gun and ammo for an extra heat sink. If this were in MWO I can see adding an energy hard point to make up for the removed ballistic hard point. I would imagine it as LA: 1E, RA: 1E, LT: 2E, RT: 1E, 1M

There isn't a third Merlin variant until 3068, which just upgrades the medium lasers to ER models. So PGI would have to make up a variant. What would the MLN-1P be like?

A fun fact from Sarna.net is that the 'mech was used to demonstrate the battlemech construction rules in BattleDroids, which was effectively the first BattleTech rule book.

Anyways, how about giving the Merlin some love?

http://www.sarna.net...lin_(BattleMech)

#2 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 30 June 2016 - 02:44 AM

Oh pardon, I'm pretty sure I have talked somewhere about this Mech.... considering the system nerf of all 60t Mechs the Merlin is still okayish. The main issue would be the engine cap.

#3 S 0 L E N Y A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:09 AM

They can just take the Night Gyr model, and through the magic of PGI... presto change-o NEW MECH PACK!

#4 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:13 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 30 June 2016 - 03:09 AM, said:

They can just take the Night Gyr model, and through the magic of PGI... presto change-o NEW MECH PACK!

LOL'd so hard.

#5 Lily from animove

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 13,891 posts
  • LocationOn a dropship to Terra

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:29 AM

looks like a flattened night gyr, did an atlas hit it on the head?

#6 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:14 PM

Could make the p version lv2 tech with a 360xl, stock plus as 1A, no jump jets and extra hardpoints to make up if needed

#7 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

Just for lols built an xl360 merlin. Essentially super fast stock+. Remove jj, dhs tax endo and get a good 18 dhs and 4 slots left over, or keep jj and 14 dhs in engine with 12slots. Added case for lols. easy enough to add weapon hps if needed/wanted or not.
I'd buy a merlin.

#8 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:37 PM

View PostTELEFORCE, on 30 June 2016 - 02:39 AM, said:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's a 60-ton Inner Sphere battlemech, and actually would be one of the Inner Sphere's newer designs as far as the game is concerned since its production began in 3010. In its stock configuration, the 'mech travels at about 64 kph, which was standard IS heavy 'mech speed at the time. The 'mech is also jump-capable, with four jump jets.

And of course, Alex Iglesias can make the 'mech look prettier!

The MLN-1A mounts a PPC, 2 medium lasers, a flamer, a machine gun, and a LRM-5, with 18 single heat sinks total. Basically LA: 1E, RA: 1E, LT: 1E, 1B, RT: 1E, 1M

The MLN-1B removes the machine gun and ammo for an extra heat sink. If this were in MWO I can see adding an energy hard point to make up for the removed ballistic hard point. I would imagine it as LA: 1E, RA: 1E, LT: 2E, RT: 1E, 1M

There isn't a third Merlin variant until 3068, which just upgrades the medium lasers to ER models. So PGI would have to make up a variant. What would the MLN-1P be like?

A fun fact from Sarna.net is that the 'mech was used to demonstrate the battlemech construction rules in BattleDroids, which was effectively the first BattleTech rule book.

Anyways, how about giving the Merlin some love?

http://www.sarna.net...lin_(BattleMech)

mostly because it's slow and has a pretty meh mix of hardpoints. But mostly because it's slow.

#9 DaZur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 7,511 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 30 June 2016 - 03:39 PM

The infamous Mysterio mech!

#10 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 04:25 PM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 30 June 2016 - 03:37 PM, said:

mostly because it's slow and has a pretty meh mix of hardpoints. But mostly because it's slow.

Hence the -p with an xl360 trading jump jets for ground mobility. Could leave standard structure if they wanted to and would still have 11dhs. Well within reason anyway. It'd be kinda like a fast thunderbolt imo.

#11 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 05:29 PM

Further thought that might kill our increase interest:

With dhs tax alone, you can (argh my grognard!) laser meta 3lpl on the base merlin, depending on hitboxes and minimum HP one can do at least 3lpl, 1 ml +2dhs. Add 3 for endo, add more if xl friendly.

Left Torso ballistic for ac20 hijinks and jump jets. Gauss is hitbox dependent more or lesslike xl.

Single slot M assuming no hp inflating would make a valid equal swap to narc for front line fighting if your group favors missiles, otherwise it'll probably be stripped for tonnage.

All in all without inflating hp the biggest pre model limit imo is engine size, at 1.3(240) for max 320 (realistically based off of IV-4's 240, a 290...) without any custom -p or hero Mech shenanigans.

#12 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:09 PM

View PostFrosty Brand, on 30 June 2016 - 04:25 PM, said:

Hence the -p with an xl360 trading jump jets for ground mobility. Could leave standard structure if they wanted to and would still have 11dhs. Well within reason anyway. It'd be kinda like a fast thunderbolt imo.

Um, so in order to avoid a slow 60 ton Mech, you invent a non-canon Merlin variant (which would share little with the Merlin but name and appearance)?

Why not just take fast 60 ton Mech in the first place? It is not like there is a shortage of those: Ostroc, Ostsol, Lancelot, Anvil, Champion...

Don't get me wrong; I am not totally opposed to the Merlin but there are a lot of problems. The three canon variants are more or less identical offering very little diversity, and only two are possible with the current tech, and all of them are slow (I doubt PGI breaks the max engine rule for them), and even the available hero variant is just more of the same.

I just think there are better options to explore first. But I totally do respect your favourite.

#13 Metus regem

• The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 10,282 posts
  • LocationNAIS College of Military Science OCS courses

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:20 PM

I'd rather the Champion...

#14 wanderer

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 11,152 posts
  • LocationStomping around in a giant robot, of course.

Posted 30 June 2016 - 06:26 PM

Probably because it's a Vindicator that needs to go on a diet.

#15 Alex Morgaine

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 2,047 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:41 PM

Eh, just playing with the idea was all. Lancelot is like another rifle man build, the osts are... Osts, XD. Anvil could work and i wouldn't mind a champion either. I'm just playing with how we could get the topic Mech to get people willing to down money and later, drinks :3

#16 Walsung

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 176 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 07:42 PM

low mounts broad chest, franken mech hardpoints. no buy

#17 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:00 PM

Because the Merlin is trash bin worthy.

#18 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:26 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 30 June 2016 - 06:09 PM, said:

Um, so in order to avoid a slow 60 ton Mech, you invent a non-canon Merlin variant (which would share little with the Merlin but name and appearance)?

Why not just take fast 60 ton Mech in the first place? It is not like there is a shortage of those: Ostroc, Ostsol, Lancelot, Anvil, Champion...

Don't get me wrong; I am not totally opposed to the Merlin but there are a lot of problems. The three canon variants are more or less identical offering very little diversity, and only two are possible with the current tech, and all of them are slow (I doubt PGI breaks the max engine rule for them), and even the available hero variant is just more of the same.

I just think there are better options to explore first. But I totally do respect your favourite.

Lancelot makes the most sense.

Champion the next most viable 60 tonner.

Lancelot is the more "meta" choice, fast, slender, 60 ton E-Boat big brother of the BJ-1X. Though it has some diverse variants.

Champion had the most varied loadout.... Might be fun, but dunno if that would translate to good.

The Merlin?

60 ton IS mech that visually spawned the NightGyr.... But with none off the advantages

Edited by Bishop Steiner, 30 June 2016 - 08:30 PM.

#19 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:50 PM

Why not the Ost series - don't forget with volumetric scaling to have a egg shaped torso is great (Ok the arms are a problem)

#20 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts

Posted 30 June 2016 - 08:52 PM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 30 June 2016 - 08:50 PM, said:

Why not the Ost series - don't forget with volumetric scaling to have a egg shaped torso is great (Ok the arms are a problem)

Ugly, boring, mediocrity.

Say no to humpty dumpty mechs

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users