What other games similar to Mechwarrior do you like?

31 replies to this topic

#1 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:23 AM

We are all a fan of Battletech/Mechwarrior franchise, but what other Mech like games did some of you guys like playing that involved large destructive war machines?

After Mechwarrior 2's success, Sierra Online started copying the formula. They had a similar game called Earthseige. A pretty blatent rip-off of the Mechwarrior series, but a fun game anyway. I used to like that game quite a bit.

So did anyone play the Earthsiege franchise? Anyone maybe an Armored Core Fan or a Front Mission fan?

Just curious what other Mechwarrior like franchises people resorted to in-between Mechwarrior and Mechcommander releases ;)

#2 Viper69

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,204 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:36 AM

Heavy Gear came out about the same time Mechwarrior 2 I think. It was pretty fun and sorta big mech like, also they were more battle suits.

#3 Jake Stark

• PipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 67 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

The thing about MWO or its predecessors are that there are no other games quite like it. Armored Core is crazy because you are flying all over the place, and doesn't feel like a real mech game. It is sad how EA and other large publishers have turned pc gaming into big business because they don't like to take risk on other genres besides the same old rehash of the FPS.

Enter smaller developers like PG that take the risk for the chance of a big payday at the end of the tunnel. So this is why we have not seen a MW or clone in a long time. I am encouraged by all the indie-medium dev size game companies churning out titles like MWO.

With that said World of Tanks would be the closest thing, and MWO seems to have taken some of the good things from it. You have a heavy vehicle with an independent turret. Heavy Tanks are the beast of the BG, but will die quickly if without support. The Artillery system is fun for most, and a pain for some. =)

#4 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:53 AM

View PostViper69, on 11 July 2012 - 08:36 AM, said:

Heavy Gear came out about the same time Mechwarrior 2 I think. It was pretty fun and sorta big mech like, also they were more battle suits.

I never had a chance to play Heavy Gear, but it looked fun. I think that might have been the game Activision released after they lost the Battletech license.

#5 Jooky SeaCpt

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 60 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:12 AM

I remember Metaltech: Earthsiege. It was developed by Dynamix and FASA, so that explains the Battletech rip-off feel. I remember it being a pretty good game, too. I also had the sequels: Metaltech: Battledrome and Starsiege. I also played both of the Heavy Gear games by Activision, which they released after losing the rights to Mechwarrior. The great thing about Heavy Gear was that the multiplayer had a meta-game element where you chose a side in the war, and then your faction could gain or lose territory and bonuses depending on how the overall war was going. It was awesome to see that big map change after coming out of a multiplayer mission. I think of it as a progenitor of MWO's not yet implemented system.

#6 Adridos

• Bridesmaid
  • 10,635 posts
  • LocationHiding in a cake, left in green city called New A... something.

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:23 AM

The best thing about Earthsiege was actually the Tribes. :)

#7 Grraarrgghh

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 829 posts
  • LocationCalgary, Alberta

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:32 AM

Shogo was pretty awesome.

#8 Exilyth

• Bridesmaid
  • 2,100 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 05 November 2012 - 11:36 AM

Mechcommander series.

As for titles outside the BTU... mhh.. it's hard to find games with a similar combination of feel and balance.

#9 Will9761

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 4,581 posts

Posted 05 November 2012 - 12:31 PM

I liked Chromehounds for three reasons: a cool multiplayer mode, a cool combat system and an awesome hound creation between 6 different classes.

SEGA made a big mistake closing down the online gameplay, It was the best thing about the game. :)

Edited by Will9761, 05 November 2012 - 03:57 PM.

#10 55555

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 48 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:53 PM

bringing a thread back from the dead, anyone seen any good clones lately? i remember seeing one on steam but can't remember the name :(

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,784 posts

Posted 27 May 2020 - 06:59 PM

mechwarrior has always been my go to mech combat franchise. i cant say i have played many other mech games.

also nekro much.

Edited by LordNothing, 27 May 2020 - 07:03 PM.

#12 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 28 May 2020 - 08:35 AM

Mech Merc Company demo

https://store.steamp...h_Merc_Company/

#13 B0oN

• 2,870 posts

Posted 29 May 2020 - 05:24 AM

HBS´s BattleTech, perfected with RogueTech mod .

https://www.nexusmod...tletech/mods/79

#14 Kalimaster

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,811 posts
  • LocationInside the Mech that just fired LRM's at you

Posted 29 May 2020 - 07:54 AM

I have MechCommander II which I have played, although not recently. Also an original Atari version of MechWarrior...yeah the graphics. Posted Image

#15 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 03 June 2020 - 12:51 AM

View Post55555, on 27 May 2020 - 06:53 PM, said:

bringing a thread back from the dead, anyone seen any good clones lately? i remember seeing one on steam but can't remember the name Posted Image

Battle of Titans is slowly rising off mobile, feeding off from those disenchanted from War Robots' pay to win route. While the game is gradually being refined, it needs new content in terms of new mechs and maps for sure.

#16 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 03 June 2020 - 11:18 PM

#17 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:26 AM

Despite how all these scenes look, this game is NOT a mech game. Its an MMO compensating for the lack of good mech games, ironically this game is SEGA's and SEGA is one reason why there is a dearth of new mech games, namely Armored Core and Chromehounds.

You only need to dig into the title to know this isn't a mech game. Its not a game you pick up just for the mechs, far from it. But it does have an awesome mech suit. If they use the game engine and actually did a dedicated mech game from it, it has workable potential.

Jump to 12:38 to see the AIS mech activated.

Mechs against a god boss!

Edited by Anjian, 04 June 2020 - 08:21 AM.

#18 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 07:48 AM

Battle Royale or Team Deathmatch. Its not enough to kill the mech, you need to hunt down the pilot too and crush him or her.

#19 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 04 June 2020 - 08:16 AM

The time War Thunder had a mech event.

#20 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 03 July 2020 - 12:13 PM

View PostAnjian, on 03 June 2020 - 12:51 AM, said:

Battle of Titans is slowly rising off mobile, feeding off from those disenchanted from War Robots' pay to win route. While the game is gradually being refined, it needs new content in terms of new mechs and maps for sure.

Just came here to post about this. It has better animation than MWO, PGI could take a few ideas from Battle of Titans. Specifically with machine walking, gait, balance and kinetic effects of being hit.
I think drifting off course instead of knock down could be a new dimension for any reboot of MWO.

Some of the leg joints in MWO could be re-imagined, a couple more hydraulics and ball sockets, machine listing, stagger inertia.
Then procedural map generation.
A new engine.
Pilot Avatars and vanity items,also heraldry. (Could investigate a pilot skill tree)
Damage% "resistant" hit box's for unfavorable geometry.

Armored Core series
Chrome Hounds

Edited by Dauntless Blint, 03 July 2020 - 12:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users