Ability to visit other regional servers.

8 replies to this topic

#1 RaNDoMPReCiSioN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationThat tiny blue glow in the distance WATCHING YOU

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:42 AM

I know about the fact there is going to be servers outside US (e.g. EU) and that for non US players they will get a one off chance to "migrate" thier profiles to the server closer to home. What I'm asking is can there be any possibility in the future to freely go between regional servers?
Other games manage it quite easily and it would be great to go back and forth between servers to meet up with pals. My friend base is split across both sides of the atlantic and would hate to be cut off from some of them in game. I understand there will be a lot of player profiles once it gets going but I'm just putting it out there it could work using a global player database replicated across the regions (or "in the cloud" as it were.) I also understand there may be ping lag playing on remote servers but most can adjust to it if it's not too high. I'm EU based so I expect a bit of ping lag when I get in on Aug 7th.

Thanks for reading Posted Image

Edit 13/11/13: Come to think of it where are these regional servers? Oh yeah that's right, forgotten about like all the other content.

Edited by RaNDoMPReCiSioN, 13 November 2013 - 09:14 AM.

#2 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:47 AM

I would love that feature.
Just sayin'

#3 BigJim

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,458 posts
  • LocationChesterfield, England

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:52 AM

What I will likely do his this;

If you've been playing a while & have gotten your account set up nicely (founder's, C-Bills & a few mechs stashed away) and then the Euro servers appear your best bet is to set up a second, tester account under a second email addy and register it with the Euro servers (when they get set up).

If there's a way better ping & the player base is good, then use your "one time only" move on your *real* account.
Of course this doesn't get around the fact you can't simply flit between regions as you see fit, but it's the best I can think of right now with the info we have.

I agree it would be massively preferable to be able to flit, but I honestly don't know if there are any MWO-specific reasons why this might be a problem.

Managing your group (Merc corps or house lances) will be an utter nightmare if most of the buys are US based and you're the one shmuck who's pining form Europe.

Who's going to want to drop into a game with you if you're lagging more than everyone else?
It'll be like being the fat kid who never got picked for football in the playground, so you'll be in a group on paper but not in reality.

Edited by BigJim, 11 July 2012 - 08:57 AM.

#4 CCC Dober

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,881 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 08:59 AM

I like options and a chance to play in neighboring regions with a single account. OP gets my vote.

#5 RaNDoMPReCiSioN

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 123 posts
  • LocationThat tiny blue glow in the distance WATCHING YOU

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:16 AM

View PostBigJim, on 11 July 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

I agree it would be massively preferable to be able to flit, but I honestly don't know if there are any MWO-specific reasons why this might be a problem.

Managing your group (Merc corps or house lances) will be an utter nightmare if most of the buys are US based and you're the one shmuck who's pining form Europe.

Who's going to want to drop into a game with you if you're lagging more than everyone else?
It'll be like being the fat kid who never got picked for football in the playground, so you'll be in a group on paper but not in reality.

Well, my base is split over both sides of the pond and we already have an established community. What we ultimately want is a Mech Corp in our community name so we can all get together for MWO. If the way it's getting set up continues it's going to create a huge rift in the community as far as teamplay goes.

Hope the devs pick up on this and try to sort something out. I see no logistical reason why your profile can't roam between servers. Okay the world persistance will vary server to server but that's something we can undestand and accept.

And as for the fat kid syndrome, I don't see that as being an issue. We're used to dealing with it on a regular basis and we all get on great. I'm no one sided shmuck either :D we got plenty peeps on both sides.

Peace be with you all.

Edited by RaNDoMPReCiSioN, 14 July 2012 - 11:25 AM.

#6 Nik Van Rhijn

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,905 posts
  • LocationLost

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:08 AM

Being able to play on different servers would be useful. Although EU based my work means that at least half the time I can only play when NA servers are most active. Plus a lot of us have people we want to play with in other areas of the world.There is no reason why the regional servers can't update the "world" on the home server.

#7 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:51 AM

I think players who want to use it to test out their connection/ping will be able to play free anyway. For people who want to play with people on 2 servers I think you either need to pick one server for all or have 2 accounts and live with it.

That said I could see them offering players an ability to pay a one time fee and perhaps sync their accounts onto both servers. That way if you have EU friends but questionable lag there you can still go and play with them some and then return to your regular playing on NA servers.

#8 Co Starring

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 116 posts
  • LocationGreatest small country in the world

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:00 AM

Not sure if this is the case, but what I heard is that U.S. ISP's limit the badwith/speed of connections coming from outside the U.S. (prioritize domestic connections).

Example:

Speedtest from the Netherlands to Washington U.S. (east coast/closest to Europe) 100ms
Speedtest from the Netherlands to West Coast = 300ms (unplayabe for an action game)

#9 Bodha

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 522 posts
  • LocationAtlanta

Posted 15 July 2012 - 05:54 AM

View PostCo Starring, on 15 July 2012 - 04:00 AM, said:

Not sure if this is the case, but what I heard is that U.S. ISP's limit the badwith/speed of connections coming from outside the U.S. (prioritize domestic connections).

Example:

Speedtest from the Netherlands to Washington U.S. (east coast/closest to Europe) 100ms
Speedtest from the Netherlands to West Coast = 300ms (unplayabe for an action game)

well I live in the southeastern US and tbh I avoid playing on west coast servers for fps games. My ping can be as low as 20 if the server is in the region with all the way up to around 120 for one in Washington state (these #s were pulled from last year when I was playing on a few team fortress 2 servers).

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users