#1 Puerto Rock Punisher

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAnywhere and everywhere....

Posted 11 December 2015 - 05:51 AM

Hello all,

I've been off MWO for a while and a lot has changed since, I'm looking for the best or overall best available missile/ energy mech in the current meta. Was hoping the community could help me out with their thoughts...

Thanks and have a good day.

#2 BeaverOnFire

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:06 AM

This is not that easy to answer. Do you prefer Clan or IS mechs?

I´ll give you my own biased opinion on that, because i own quite a few mechs (60+), on which my opinion is based.

IS: Both LRM and Energy i would prefer the Stalker.

- The 4N as an 6LL Energy boat and the 3F as an LRM Boat. Haven´t played the second one lately, so i don´t know what happened to its Quirks.

I´ve never run LRM on IS Heavies or Mediums, so I can´t say anything about them.

Clan: Timberwolf, Ebon Jaguar and Warhawk.

Timberwolf can run the standard laser vomit with 2 LPL and 4 ML and it is a little bit heavier than the Ebon Jaguar and has JJ. BUT after the recent patch the timberwolf feels a little bit weak armorwise. I don´t know why. Just a feeling.

That´s why i would suggest the Ebon Jaguar. A great Mech all around and can play every role you wish (but without JJ!). And if you like CW, he improves your drop deck quite a bit imo.

On a side note: The Warhawk is just a beautiful mech and man, he can lurm the **** out of the enemy. Energywise you can fit 4 PPC in it for instance. But it is a little bit to heavy and expensive for what it is able to do. So this mech is only for you if you like the appearance of it, like i do.

Edit: a link, where you can look around for good builds. A little bit outdated but still a good point to start:

http://metamechs.com

Head over to the Guide section, choose the master guide for Clan or IS and enjoy his builds. Posted Image

Edited by BeaverOnFire, 11 December 2015 - 06:12 AM.

#3 bayoucowboy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 186 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:08 AM

Need to be more specific: weight class, weapons range, missile or energy (tend to be mutually exclusive). Or you could just get a timberwolf

#4 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:30 AM

yes. as has already been mentioned we need more info to answer this properly,
how fast?
what weight class?
Clan or IS?
do you want more weapons or more tanky?
when you say missiles do you want LRMs or SRMs?
if LRMs do you want to stay towards the back firing from other peoples locks, or stay on the front lines, getting your own locks and using them in conjunction with your lasers?

#5 Puerto Rock Punisher

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:33 AM

Hello,

I normally run med and heavy's but will go assault too. Also it does not matter if clan or IS, just looking for that right mech to compliment my play style. So basically I'm trying to run er ppc's and med pulse lasers, basically anything under the energy sun. As for missiles i like to run streak srm 2's or srm 6's with tag and beagle and alot of heat sinks. As for a plus but not necessary if it could have jump jets but again not necessary. Thanks for the help, I know I'm being picky but want that right mech for the long haul.

Thanks everyone...

Edited by Puerto Rock Punisher, 11 December 2015 - 06:35 AM.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:46 AM

the Timber Wolf definately fits the bill (including Jumpjets if you take torsos from the S), as do the Stalker and Warhawk (although they cannot jump), all can carry any energy weapon as well as missiles.

other Mechs worth a look are the Catapult C1, the Jm6-A, any varient of the Mad Dog,
also all the 55 ton Mechs have multiple varients able to run multiple energy and missile weapons, and with the Shadow Hawk and Griffin (my personal favorite for a SRM & laser brawler) all variants are able to jump.

look up all those Mechs on Smurfy and decide which you like the looks of

edit:
the HBR, EBJ and SMN can all work, but the Summoner does not realy have enough hardpoints and the Hellbrinter and Ebon Jag are both missing Jump-jets

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 11 December 2015 - 06:55 AM.

#7 BeaverOnFire

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:53 AM

I don´t know about the ER PPC but in addtion to my previous post: Maybe the Storm Crow is something for you. I would suggest you choose either the the Timber or the Crow. Here are some Crow builds:

LRM Crow:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...0f4de82bd5fc185

Laser Vomit:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...6bbb0eb84bf9f8b

Streak + ML:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ee5567f61f55dc6

And the good old SRM_to_face-Version:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...fa09815a382ff36

My alltime favourite build is nth but a fun build. Just divide your weapon groups into two groups (each for one arm) and you´ll be golden:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...87da828f16168cf

Edited by BeaverOnFire, 11 December 2015 - 06:56 AM.

#8 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:58 AM

View PostPuerto Rock Punisher, on 11 December 2015 - 06:33 AM, said:

Hello,

I normally run med and heavy's but will go assault too. Also it does not matter if clan or IS, just looking for that right mech to compliment my play style. So basically I'm trying to run er ppc's and med pulse lasers, basically anything under the energy sun. As for missiles i like to run streak srm 2's or srm 6's with tag and beagle and alot of heat sinks. As for a plus but not necessary if it could have jump jets but again not necessary. Thanks for the help, I know I'm being picky but want that right mech for the long haul.

Thanks everyone...

Of the IS mediums the Kintaro is great for streaks srms and lrms. The 18 has 5 missile hardpoints, 5 ssrm is refered to as the Streaktaro, great light killer. 5 srm6 on it ang you will hardly survive the whole match but will laydown a nasty beating before you die, I average 4 kills with it in pugs, though lacking JJ I usually run it as a lurmer.

The Black Knight(my only heavy) and Crab are good laser vomit though still P2P.

Griffins are great Rocketeers, specially the 2N. ECM, jumpjets and adv seismic sensor, coupled with the really high 4 missile points make this thing rockets from the Sky Gods. Once toyed with a Dire on Veridian keeping a lobster shell between us and poptarting at 30m. He had no clue where I was.

Trebuchets fit your requirements having all around hardpoints. The LG is great for rockets from the Sky Gods as well, though not as good as the 2N because it lacks ecm, is 5t lighter and its hard points are spread out further and lower.

That pretty well covers IS mediums that can boat 4+ missiles. I don't run clan mechs or IS Heavies so can't be much help there.

On the smaller, faster side Commandos have really been helped by the SRM buff in the last patch.

#9 Puerto Rock Punisher

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:58 AM

Will check those mechs out Rogue, thanks for the possible line up, very helpful. For warhawk, which do you recommend. I was also looking at the mad dog mdd-b. You mentioned the shadow hawk, are you speaking of shd-2k. Finally checked the timber wolf s type and it is nice.

Update:

Just checked out storm crow, also nice...So many choices....

Edited by Puerto Rock Punisher, 11 December 2015 - 07:00 AM.

#10 HelBound

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:01 AM

View PostPuerto Rock Punisher, on 11 December 2015 - 06:33 AM, said:

Hello,

Thanks everyone...

Regarding mediums;
Check out the IS Griffin battlemechs. Good mix of missile hardpoints and energy hardpoints, quick on its feet with mountable jump jets.

Here are my SRM Griffin builds (I don't care for IS streaks)

GRF-2N
-2 MPL
-2 SRM6
-2 SRM4
-AMS
-4T SRM Ammo
-1T AMS
(AMS for CW, otherwise use the tonnage else where)

GRF-1S(C)
-4 ML
-2x SRM6
-4T SRM Ammo
(You lose the arms from time to time so pack in the SRM ammo)

These mechs require aggressive play but end up as high damage high kill count mechs for me. I've run both with ERPPC's instead of ML or MPL. Think the 2N had 4x SRM4 to make heat/weight work. Found committing to short/medium range was the better way to go for my play style.

For Medium LRMS the Hunchback 4J is an LRM10 GOD when fit with modules.
My build has a decent laser back up and for close range engagements. When you run out of LRM ammo (happens very quickly) the lasers pack enough punch to get the job done. Most people avoid the XL for hunchbacks but it works in this build. You need the extra weight for ammo and the speed boost is needed for for LRM positioning. The speed is super important when you are out of ammo and need to maneuver to get those lasers into play.
HBK-4J
-2x ML
-3x SL
-2x LRM 10
-6.5T LRM Ammo
-1 Tag

This is one of the 3 LRM mechs I run out of 45 mechs

I found the Kintaro's are better SRM high alpha mechs then LRM boats. For brawling use the chain fire mode ot stream SRM4's at your target for constant screen shaking damage.

Edited by HelBound, 11 December 2015 - 07:13 AM.

#11 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:13 AM

View PostPuerto Rock Punisher, on 11 December 2015 - 06:58 AM, said:

Will check those mechs out Rogue, thanks for the possible line up, very helpful. For warhawk, which do you recommend. I was also looking at the mad dog mdd-b. You mentioned the shadow hawk, are you speaking of shd-2k. Finally checked the timber wolf s type and it is nice.

Update:

Just checked out storm crow, also nice...So many choices....

for the Warhawk, if you are after a missile build get the WHK-B, it comes with 3 missile hardpoints (including one in the CT), 4 energy and 1 balistic, or you could swap out the left arm for the prime for an extra missile and 1 more energy at the cost of the balistic hardpoint, just bear in mind that is slower than most of the other suggestions.

for the Shadow Hawk, any other than the 2H can do multiple lasers and multiple missiles, it is all down to the number and location of hardpoints.

yes the Stormcrow is a great MEch one oc the best in the game, if it could jump it probably would be the best Mech in the game, but the downsides with the Stormcrow compared to the IS 55 tonners are that you are a high priority target, and that if you just want SRM/SSRM and lasers you can use a standard engine build on an IS Mech meaning you can literaly purchase and outfit 2 IS 55 tonners for the price of the Stormcrow

#12 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:19 AM

View PostHelBound, on 11 December 2015 - 07:01 AM, said:

Regarding mediums;
Check out the IS Griffin battlemechs. Good mix of missile hardpoints and energy hardpoints, quick on its feet with mountable jump jets.

Here are my SRM Griffin builds (I don't care for IS streaks)

GRF-2N
-2 MPL
-2 SRM6
-2 SRM4
-AMS
-4T SRM Ammo
-1T AMS
(AMS for CW, otherwise use the tonnage else where)

GRF-1S(C)
-4 ML
-2x SRM6
-4T SRM Ammo
(You lose the arms from time to time so pack in the SRM ammo)

These mechs require aggressive play but end up as high damage high kill count mechs for me. I've run both with ERPPC's instead of ML or MPL. Think the 2N had 4x SRM4 to make heat/weight work. Found committing to short/medium range was the better way to go for my play style.

For Medium LRMS the Hunchback 4J is an LRM10 GOD when fit with modules.
My build has a decent laser back up and for close range engagements. When you run out of LRM ammo (happens very quickly) the lasers pack enough punch to get the job done. Most people avoid the XL for hunchbacks but it works in this build. You need the extra weight for ammo and the speed boost is needed for for LRM positioning. The speed is super important when you are out of ammo and need to maneuver to get those lasers into play.
HBK-4J
-2x ML
-3x SL
-2x LRM 10
-6.5T LRM Ammo
-1 Tag

do not forget the others,
the 1N has 3 energy and 3 missile hardpoints, I run it std 300, 3 ML, 3 SRM6
the 3M has 4 missile and 2 energy, I run it with 4 ASRM4, 2 MPL and an XL325 for about the same speed and agility as the Stormcrow

those 2 are my most successful mediums

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 11 December 2015 - 08:01 AM.

#13 HelBound

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:29 AM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 11 December 2015 - 07:19 AM, said:

do not forget the others,
the 1N has 3 energy and 3 missile hardpoints, I run it std 300, 1 ML, 3 SRM6
the 3M has 4 missile and 2 energy, I run it with 4 ASRM4, 2 MPL and an XL325 for about the same speed and agility as the Stormcrow

those 2 are my most successful mediums

Certainly, while I don't run those variants they are quite potent mechs.

#14 Moira

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:00 AM

Well well.. someone who asks what I favor over everything else.

LRM's and lasers coming up...sorry I dont support SRM's just too unreliable.

Dont take assaults too slow and problematic when you get into close range fights.. and believe me you will into those sooner or later.

As 3 mech combo (so you can get the extra module slot and skill tree bonuses) you are moreless forced into small selection of mechs. TimberWolfs (who doesnt like JJ's 4-5 ERMLs and 4 missile slots) this is propably the most rounded up Clan side missile boat, MadDogs are able to get 6 missile slots and 4 ERMLs, but cant jump at all. Ebon Jaquar is strange mix of TBR and MDD (the mentioned earlier), but Im not a fan of it ... just my view of the matter.

Storm Crow is another well rounded up line of mechs that can be modded to do almost anything....

IS side is highly limited to all or nothing mentality since you cant get Catapults to perform good for short and long range at the same time.

So I would strongly suggest to go online and check em mechs on store and specially in mechbay to see what you can do with em w/o paying a cbill.

Have fun

#15 Puerto Rock Punisher

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 81 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:40 AM

So after consideration of all the comments and thanks everyone for the help. I've come to the conclusion that these mechs are the ones that interest me the most. Since I've never piloted any of these, can I hear your thoughts and any issues that they might have in the current meta.

Thanks.....

Stormcrow - SCR-A (4 energy, 3 missile) points, 11, 317, 504

Maddog - MDD-B (5 energy, 3 missile) points, 12,042,879

Timberwolf - TBR-D (3 energy, 4 missile) points, 15, 177, 027

#16 Moira

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 115 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:52 AM

View PostPuerto Rock Punisher, on 11 December 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

So after consideration of all the comments and thanks everyone for the help. I've come to the conclusion that these mechs are the ones that interest me the most. Since I've never piloted any of these, can I hear your thoughts and any issues that they might have in the current meta.

Thanks.....

Thanks and ill start with mech I know well and have topped out. Since you have selected Clan tech and are able to change omnipods on them ill tell my experiences from mech line not specific model.

MadDog Line - Best Clan heavy Missile launcher platform... 6 launchers and good quirks to use 6x LRM5 or SRM's and plenty to tubes to launch them. Has 4 laser slots in arm/hands and they are in usual hight so you cant peek over hills and fire lasers... but as missile platform those are only to self defense againsts lights. MDD line is the lightest clan heavy and has ~10% less armor than TBR's and you can feel it. MDD's cant jump at all so its little minus. Arms feel sometimes little weak and tend to fall off too early =)

TimberWolf line - Whats not to like you can get 2 launchers on right torso, 3x ERLL on top of left shoulder and fill arms with Medium lasers and have certain jump capability... definedly the best from this list in my mind. Ok after that praise lets go to negatives. These definedly run hot so you need 2x extra heatsinks to be able to brawl and fire em lasers alot. You get more negative Quirks than positive ones, but thats the price to pay from Solid performance mechline that doesnt have any great negatives, just minor annoyances (did I type right). You do get targetted alot more by enemies on TBR and others due it can perform damned well (thats my experience). You might want to lower center torsos frontal armor abit (10 points) and put on your CT backside... it feels little paperish w/o this little change.

Stormcrow - dont own even one Sorry but these things seem to be more than ever top performing mech on PUG games than anything other.

Have fun and hopefully my info gave something to you.

Edited by Moira, 11 December 2015 - 10:56 AM.

#17 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 10:59 AM

Maddog is just to squishy, Crow and Wolf are hands down the best Clan mechs.

#18 Vlad Striker

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,414 posts
  • LocationOld Forest Colony

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:24 AM

There is no best or worst. Any of mechs with the equal payload is equal.

Edited by Vlad Striker, 11 December 2015 - 11:25 AM.

#19 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:38 AM

When it comes to LRM mechs, hands down is that Mad Dog. Usual set up with 6 LRM5s set to chain fire is just fun. Now most people like to use a Tag to get better performance on locks and to save on weight but I find using the Artemis upgrade to be better simply for servivability sense the Dogs cockpit sites super high up you expose very little of your mech vs the Tag config, plus it freese up an energy slot for a bit more punch. I have 5 C-ERSLs with 10 tons of ammo and 3 extra heat sinks. Works super well for me.

Edited by Coralld, 11 December 2015 - 11:41 AM.

#20 BeaverOnFire

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 11:38 AM

View PostPuerto Rock Punisher, on 11 December 2015 - 08:40 AM, said:

Thanks.....

As much as i like my Maddog, it is indeed very squeeshy and positioning yourself in the battle is important with this mech. I would recommend the other 2. Both, timber and crow, are great mechs. If cbills arent a problem for you, go for the Timber. It is a tad more versatile.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users