- - - - -

New Kid On The Block

New Player Feedback

18 replies to this topic

#1 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:40 AM

Okay, I don't actually STEAM, and I don't actually play shooters a lot. However a guy at work was enthusing about MWO this morning so I created an account to try it out. Will download and start this evening.

Planning to follow this guide:
http://mwomercs.com/...m-launch-guide/

Will update this thread with thoughts, impressions and tips as I work through it. Anyone else wants to pop in their actual-new-player feedback, feel free!

See yas on the battlefield!

(PS: and remember, even if you kill me, you still GotShotALot!)

Edited by GotShotALot, 11 December 2015 - 07:40 AM.

#2 BeaverOnFire

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:42 AM

View PostGotShotALot, on 11 December 2015 - 07:40 AM, said:

Okay, I don't actually STEAM, and I don't actually play shooters a lot. However a guy at work was enthusing about MWO this morning so I created an account to try it out. Will download and start this evening.

Planning to follow this guide:
http://mwomercs.com/...m-launch-guide/

Will update this thread with thoughts, impressions and tips as I work through it. Anyone else wants to pop in their actual-new-player feedback, feel free!

See yas on the battlefield!

(PS: and remember, even if you kill me, you still GotShotALot!)

Have fun and if you need any help, feel free to ask!

#3 DarthHias

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • 1,315 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:43 AM

Welcome to MW:O Posted Image The learning curve at start is really steep but when you get that done game is a lot of fun.
If you have any questions just post them and they will be answered.

You can also feel free to P.M. me or send me a friend invite.

#4 Kristian Radoulov

Banned

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 611 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:53 AM

Welcome!

#5 Mazzyplz

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,292 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 07:56 AM

make sure you go into tutorial and then mess around in the solo modes before you go against other players; it will make it less frustrating even though it might sound a bit more boring

#6 DjPush

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,964 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:14 AM

View PostMazzyplz, on 11 December 2015 - 07:56 AM, said:

make sure you go into tutorial and then mess around in the solo modes before you go against other players; it will make it less frustrating even though it might sound a bit more boring

Also, completing the tutorial gets you 5mil in cbills. A nice chunk of change for new players.

#7 Sadist Cain

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 605 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:17 AM

View PostGotShotALot, on 11 December 2015 - 07:40 AM, said:

*snip*

Twist, then, TWIST MORE!!!

Spread the damage from incoming fire and try not to give the enemy a chance to line up on your vital components. don't be afraid to sacrifice an arm with a medium laser if it saves your larger weapons on the other side.

Edited by Sadist Cain, 11 December 2015 - 08:17 AM.

#8 Donnerkeil666

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Marshal II
  • Marshal II
  • 164 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:20 AM

Welcome! You'll find that this community is very helpful to new players. Check out the many tutorial videos that have already been linked to the steam page. glhf

#9 Radbane

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:36 AM

Don't forget to go through the entire keybindings list to see all the things you can do, and also change some game settings and try them out on the Training Grounds. The default settings aren't optimal for many players.

...and Welcome!

#10 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:19 AM

Welcome aboard!
Sounds like you've got the right attitude and are on the right path.

And you found this place... use it and use us often. You'll find this is a great and helpful community and we want you to succeed!

Cheers and see you on the 'field (I'll be the Marauder you just shotalot :P )

#11 RF Greywolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 543 posts
  • LocationPA

Posted 11 December 2015 - 09:22 AM

Welcome to MWO!

If you have any questions don't be afraid to ask, and I do mean ANY questions. In this area there are no dumb questions. Be sure to look through some of the threads, they are filled with lots of good information.

#12 Coolant

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,079 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 11 December 2015 - 12:02 PM

Welcome! As has been mentioned, do the Academy under Tutorials. It will force you to do part of it when you first launch the game. Stick with it and finish it not only for training but you can get up to 5 million Cbills. That is enough to buy a medium mech of your own with no upgrades. You can also go into Training Grounds and just roam around a map of your choice and shoot stationary mechs that don't shoot back to test your heat and movement and to get familiar with the multiplayer maps. Then when you are ready, jump into multiplayer by clicking the Quick Play button at the top. Make sure all the regional servers are selected (the little arrow next to the Quick Play button will drop-down menu). You will have to start with trial mechs unless you buy one right away with the Cbills you earn from the Academy. I would save the money and just drop in trials the first 25 matches because you get bonus Cbills for your first 25. After that I would ask around to get advice on what mech you should buy. You should have an idea about your playstyle by then that you can share.

#13 Flak Kannon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 581 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 02:59 PM

'Welcome to the Party', as one John McClane would say...

New blood is always welcome. This game has a steep, steep learning curve. In my value system, that made it fun. I am personally taking a couple months break due to home construction, but wanted to help the influx of 'Steamers' coming into the game.

First off, know that EVERYONE has to take thier lumps. Its part of the process. The best teacher are repeated drop after drop after drop, etc. You will learn the most from playing and dying.

If you want to get some kills early on, play the Ac20 Hunchbacks. They are adept killers, and pretty hardy little f*ckers.

If you want to zip around and cause Havoc with out any great match score, try out the Spider chassis, just dont go out alone early in the match. Other good light pilots, and light hunters ( mediums and some heavys with streak missles) are searching for you.

If you want to melt some face, then consider the Stalkers.

So much to recommend. But really, early on, just play and die alot, thats your lot in life now. It's ok. We all were there.

Come back here and ask the silly, simple questions, like how to equip Endo Steel armor, or how to buy and equip modules. Certain GUI issues and questions are just a post away. We will all help.

Enjoi
Flak Kannon

Edited by Flak Kannon, 11 December 2015 - 03:00 PM.

#14 Tyler Valentine

• Senior Corporal
  • 1,472 posts
  • LocationChandler, Arizona

Posted 11 December 2015 - 03:23 PM

As others have said the learning curve is STEEP, stick with it. Hit up the tutorials and stay patient for your first 50 games or so. There are some good guides on these forums and use the mechlab at http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab before you buy anything.

Shoot me a friend request in game and I'd be happy to help with anything I can and WELCOME TO MECHWARRIOR ONLINE!

#15 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 11 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

WELCOME ABOARD!

#16 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:43 PM

View PostDjPush, on 11 December 2015 - 08:14 AM, said:

Also, completing the tutorial gets you 5mil in cbills. A nice chunk of change for new players.

That's a good chunk of change even if not new. :)

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 11 December 2015 - 08:51 PM

Welcome aboard Gotshotalot. As said if you have questions, feel free to ask. There's a 30 year history with this franchise and community. We're always happy to help out new players.

I hope you enjoy yourself.

For a piece of quick advice: Remember unlike most things that sport the phrase "team game," MWO is a game that where the word has meaning. Pardon me as I will be coining the ever popular phrase from Zelda: "It's dangerous to go alone!" Be careful to not let yourself get isolated.

#18 Lanzman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 300 posts
  • LocationVirginia, USA

Posted 12 December 2015 - 04:37 PM

Welcome aboard. Echoing what's already been said: steep learning curve, stick with your team, lock your targets, and use your voice comms to coordinate.

#19 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 12 December 2015 - 07:15 PM

View PostKoniving, on 11 December 2015 - 08:51 PM, said:

"It's dangerous to go alone!"

Crazy Earl says it better. ;)

He's right, you know. Koniving, I mean, in regard to the teamwork thing. NOT Crazy Earl with his name calling. And car eating (" ... just, like, with a fork ...").

If you don't already have a mic, you should look into getting one. Logitech makes a decent headphone/microphone combo that isn't Logitech-priced. There are tons of options out there, really. My first few years of online gaming (Ghost Recon, in The Combat Zone's 5v5 ladder, back in '05) I was using some cheap $6 thing I bought from a Korean father-and-son thing on a US Army installation in South Korea. Wasn't fancy, but it worked just fine. Or, y'know, go nuts and mortgage your kidneys for some Turtle Beach stuff. Whatever floats your boat. But DEFINITELY be ready to use VoiP. If the in-game gets on your nerves (and if you like yourself even a tiny little bit, IT WILL), then head on over to the appropriate TeamSpeak server with the free-to-use TS3 client.

Keep a mental list of the players whose names you see frequently and are apparent team players. They're your MWO cohort now. With any luck, like us that have been around a while, in three years you'll still bump into players from that cohort now and then, and you'll have plenty of great memories from the battlefields of the 31st Century to relive.

There's good folks around here. LOTS, if you look for 'em. We know. We were ALL new once...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users