Urbie is suprisingly effective

19 replies to this topic

#1 NotNewHere

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 99 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:39 AM

After doing some practicle testing of the Urban mech on the mek tek version of mercs, It seems to be better than most people think.
With a weapons load of 1 LBX20 and 3 small lasers it beat an Osiris, Couger, Flea and Ice Ferret in single combat in the steiner colluseum; though the couger inflicted heavy damage, and the ice ferret pretty much crippled it.

This proves that at a starting range of 1100m on an open map an urbie can surive long enough to close with, and destroy an enemy mech of equivelent or slightly larger size. However with only 20 shots of ammo in its main weapon I doubt it would do well in long engagements, or against more than 1 or 2 foes.

thoughts..?

#2 Manthony Higgs

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 414 posts
  • LocationMount Vernon, Washington, USA

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:42 AM

Put an RAC on it next time.

#3 Havoc2

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 505 posts
  • LocationBarrie, ON

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:43 AM

Thoughts?

You beat the AI. Do the same drop in a Cougar against 3 Urbies and stay out of their LBX and SLAS range and see how well they do.

#4 Spleenslitta

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,617 posts
  • LocationNorway

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:45 AM

I've been trying to defend the Urbie from people who say it's too slow by taking it into the mechlab and replacing the AC 10 with an AC 5 and boosting it's speed to show it's a fully viable battlemech.
But then they start saying that i created a totally new mech. It's like they are denying the Urbie the right to use the mechlab.

In the end i think they are more against the appearance of the Urbie than it's speed.
I've been trying to implore the dev's to make a mech capable of mounting ballistic weapons in MW:O but then a guy turned vicious....
Such hostility some people hold against light mechs and our right to mount an AC astounds me.

#5 Davoke

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 618 posts
  • LocationFending off an entire RCT of Cappellans with a lance of Atlai

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

^i know, it's ridiculous.

#6 Kottonmouth

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • LocationCheyenne, Wyoming. AKA the Periphery

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:47 AM

Yeah. The Solaris AI is pretty dumb. They will run right at your large AC totin self. That's why I use it myself. Doesn't quite work against real opponents :P. Poor urbie

#7 shadowhawk102

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 87 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 July 2012 - 11:57 AM

i dont see how that build will work, only way is to use ferro fibrous armour and endo steel, and even then there is not enough space to allocate every thing.

and with 4 ton of ammo, no way this would work.

tryt one with 2 er ppc and double heatsinks, and a xl engine, still slow, and heat issues, but if you cycle the ppc might be ok.

Edited by shadowhawk102, 11 July 2012 - 12:07 PM.

#8 Lightdragon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,212 posts
  • Locationwisconsin

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:50 PM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 11 July 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

I've been trying to defend the Urbie from people who say it's too slow by taking it into the mechlab and replacing the AC 10 with an AC 5 and boosting it's speed to show it's a fully viable battlemech.
But then they start saying that i created a totally new mech. It's like they are denying the Urbie the right to use the mechlab.

In the end i think they are more against the appearance of the Urbie than it's speed.
I've been trying to implore the dev's to make a mech capable of mounting ballistic weapons in MW:O but then a guy turned vicious....
Such hostility some people hold against light mechs and our right to mount an AC astounds me.

we dont deny the mechlab... we just try to talk sense into you to say that youre an ***** if you add speed to the urbanmech and drop its cannon down now you have an extremely slow light mech and now an even more sadly undergunned/armored mech even if you put a bigger engine into it the fastest you could make it go is about 50 kph so its still slower than any other light in the game and even most assaults and to the person talking about the mechlab in mechwarrior 4 mercs... ITS MICROSOFT THEY ****** ALL THE MECHS UP!!! so dont think you can pull off a loadout like that in mwo

#9 shadowhawk102

• PipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 87 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 11 July 2012 - 01:35 PM

View Postthontor, on 11 July 2012 - 12:25 PM, said:

MW4..

why use a system that will not be workable in mwo?
The lab system will be more in line with the tt game, so why not use that building system

#10 Petroff Northrup

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:44 PM

MW4 is about as true to BT as Meghassault. Both are very fun but will not really prepare you for this, something you could try is play MWLL in a light and never go above 30 kph.

Also on the urbie thing of you have to customize it to make it viable why not just get a firestarter and customize it the same way?

#11 Aethon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • 2,037 posts
  • LocationSt. Louis, Niles, Kerensky Cluster

Posted 11 July 2012 - 06:34 PM

View PostPetroff Northrup, on 11 July 2012 - 02:44 PM, said:

MW4 is about as true to BT as Meghassault. Both are very fun but will not really prepare you for this, something you could try is play MWLL in a light and never go above 30 kph.

Also on the urbie thing of you have to customize it to make it viable why not just get a firestarter and customize it the same way?

Firestarters aren't exactly known for mounting large-caliber autocannon weaponry...then again, neither is the Jenner, or the Raven, or the Commando, or...come to think of it, it's the only light mech that comes to mind in this timeframe that actually commonly mounts large-calliber autocannon weaponry.

There's also nothing wrong with making mechlab changes to the Urbanmech; in short, the people who don't want it should stop whinging, and just not use it if the thing gets added.

Edited by Aethon, 11 July 2012 - 06:39 PM.

#12 NotNewHere

• PipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 99 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:23 AM

I'm just saying it can be effective in the right situation... although I did try the couger thing and it beat the crap out of three urbies at once

#13 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:40 AM

View PostAethon, on 11 July 2012 - 06:34 PM, said:

Firestarters aren't exactly known for mounting large-caliber autocannon weaponry...then again, neither is the Jenner, or the Raven, or the Commando, or...come to think of it, it's the only light mech that comes to mind in this timeframe that actually commonly mounts large-calliber autocannon weaponry.

There's also nothing wrong with making mechlab changes to the Urbanmech; in short, the people who don't want it should stop whinging, and just not use it if the thing gets added.

Ok cool - but I think most people rooting for the Urbie are rooting for different reasons than the AC. Doesn't make it unviable, though, true.
But saying "the people who don't want it should stop whinging" seems to assume that it will be included, which we certainly can't say yet.

#14 Dymitry

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,321 posts
  • LocationSibko

Posted 12 July 2012 - 03:53 AM

Facts: 1) the urbie kicks ***. 2) urbies will rule the IS. and the clans. 3) I am sorry OP, but using mw4 for testing anything BT related is...well I guess fifa 12 would be more accurate...

did I say that we need the urbie?

#15 Scytale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

Slightly irrelevant, since if they do implement the Urbie it probably won't include this variant, but I just read on sarna:

"UM-R50 - This was an early variant without arms. The idea was to give the 'Mech a smaller silhouette in combat. However, the drawbacks of having no arms turned out to be greater than benefits and this particular variant is generally regarded as a failure. Only very few units of this subvariant survived into 3025."

Is this... some kind of joke? Doesn't no arms imply no weapons for the Urbie? Or would they have modified it to put hardpoints on the torso?

#16 Thorgar Wulfson

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 436 posts
  • LocationConcordia, KS

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:24 PM

The Urbanmech can be a good direct fire support mech, even in 3025. you had to use them smartly though and they were far better suited for defensive actions than offensive ones.

#17 Drakhan

• PipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 39 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:29 PM

ok everyone here seems to be forgetting that the urbanmech was designed to be a city fighter where in tight twisting streets speed and range offer no advantage and only armor and a big gun count

Edited by Drakhan, 12 July 2012 - 06:32 PM.

#18 E_Crow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 128 posts
  • LocationSPAAAAAACE!

Posted 12 July 2012 - 06:37 PM

View PostLightdragon, on 11 July 2012 - 12:50 PM, said:

we dont deny the mechlab... we just try to talk sense into you to say that youre an ***** if you add speed to the urbanmech and drop its cannon down now you have an extremely slow light mech and now an even more sadly undergunned/armored mech even if you put a bigger engine into it the fastest you could make it go is about 50 kph so its still slower than any other light in the game and even most assaults and to the person talking about the mechlab in mechwarrior 4 mercs... ITS MICROSOFT THEY ****** ALL THE MECHS UP!!! so dont think you can pull off a loadout like that in mwo

Did you ever have a traumatic moment in your childhood related to trashcans attempting or actually eating you, or someone close to you? (family, friends, etc.)

Edited by AstroTiki, 12 July 2012 - 06:41 PM.

#19 CrackersPhinn

• PipPipPip
  • 63 posts

Posted 12 July 2012 - 07:44 PM

View PostSpleenslitta, on 11 July 2012 - 11:45 AM, said:

If its the appearance of the Urbanmech that turns them off, i'm sure the new redesign will change their minds. If its the idea behind the mech itself, well, they just need to be taught a lesson on the battlefield. :D Also its a unique enough design that I think the Dev's should consider it more. It's a class of its own when it comes to tactics and configuration that it stands out and doesn't overlap the functionality of other light mechs. Having a large bore cannon and jumpjets but with slow speeds it would make the piloting experience very unique. The only competition it has is the Commando; cheap, fast and good short range damage.

#20 Agent CraZy DiP

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 609 posts
  • LocationAZ - USA

Posted 12 July 2012 - 08:21 PM

You think it's effective in Mek Tek... You should try it out in the BETA. Oh no! I broke NDA!

Just Kidding!!!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users