- - - - -

New Player Friendly Groups

18 replies to this topic

#1 Valkyia

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 08:17 PM

Hey, just started playing and am wondering if theres any Noobie friendly groups about the place.. Mech fitting and stuff is really hard to understand and ive no idea how to build mechs to thier strengths.

#2 Creag

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Defiant
  • The Defiant
  • 419 posts
  • Locationadelaide Australia

Posted 13 December 2015 - 10:04 PM

Welcome from The Templars, We are a friendly group. Good Luck and most of all have fun

#3 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:01 PM

Dont forget to you the resources such as
mechspecs.com
metamechs.com
mwo.smurfy-net.de

they are all good resources but by no means gospel to how to build a mech, everyone plays a little different and variations to a mech are in aboundance. Play to your strengths, even small changes such as replacing a med.laser with an extra double heat sink can have changes to your play style.

even once you find a build you like it never hurts to tweek it once in a while see if some small change improves your performance on that mech.

#4 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:12 PM

Friendly? You've come to the right forum.

Also look at the Mech Builds under Guides & Strategies.

The reference above to metamechs.com is one of my favorite recommendations. Not only will you find great builds there for most of the best (and a lot of the meh) mechs in game, but also some great advice on how to play them.

DEFINITELY watch Kanajashi's (did I spell that right?) cadet tutorial videos, linked in a pinned thread on this forum.

Old timers like us have had the benefit of watching the UI evolve through a few distinct iterations. Coming into it brand new must be tough. It's a lot easier to learn if you have someone explain it to you. Check out the TeamSpeak server and you'll probably find someone willing to walk you through it.

BEFORE you spend any C-Bills on parts/upgrades for your mech, DEFINITELY build it in Smurfy's MWO reference first. Nothing worse than throwing a few hundred thousand hard-earned bills at that Endo-Steel structure upgrade, just to find out that it leaves you one critical slot short of being able to build your mech right. With Smurfy, you'll know.

Play the game. Come back here for advice and beginner-level theorycraft. Go to the Guides/Strats forum for intermediate theorycraft. But PLAY the game. A LOT. The learning curve is STEEP, and it's only more so if you don't play the game! When you play, you find that you have questions. Come here and ask, and we'll help you answer them. Take those answers and apply them in game. Get new questions. Repeat. Know what I mean?

Welcome aboard, BTW!

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 13 December 2015 - 11:53 PM

Many units are keen to train up new players including the one in my signature, you can go to the community warfare forum and look at the recruitment threads, visit the unit website and have a look around, possibly ask some questions before choosing one to join.

#6 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:41 AM

Tell you what, try the trials, tell me what weapons you like, and what kinda mech you want and we can sit down with Smurfy and concept build you your first ride.

Granted, everyone'll have different ideas about what'll be best, but hey, arguing builds is half the fun.

~Leone

#7 kneuen

Rookie

• 8 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:42 AM

Another really good resource for finding a unit that you like and players that will help are the teamspeak hubs for each faction. Obviously, being a Davion player, I am biased towards them, but each faction has their own set up. Teamspeak is free and it does not require a microphone to communicate with other people on those hubs.

Davion teamspeak: ts50.bargainvoice.com:7345

I hope to see you there!

#8 Johny Rocket

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:11 AM

Everything so far has been real great advice. I only chimed in to say a bit about the metamechs site. This trips a lot of new players up. In faction play there is high level comp play among the best pilots playing. Metamechs is more geared to that. So most of the info is slanted that way. in casual play some of the meta builds aren't so great because they need organized support and some of the mechs they rank low are very viable outside the higher echelons of play.

Was there anything specific you were having trouble with?

#9 DJO Maverick

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 178 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:26 AM

If you mean a long-term newbie-friendly group, the Golden Foxes invest most of our time getting new and casual players set up and taught in the ways of the game. If you're interested in a casual, social-first group that would be happy to get you on your feet, feel free to visit or drop a line. Our site is linked in my sig.

#10 Red Legs Greaves

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Cadet
  • Cadet
  • 348 posts
  • LocationWashington State

Posted 14 December 2015 - 07:34 AM

Clan Burrock recruits and enjoys teaching newbies about the game. Come hangout with us on TS at clan-burrock.enjinvoice.com and check out our website at clan-burrock.enjin.com.

We look forward to seeing you on the battlefield.

#11 Unreliable Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:32 AM

Also looking for buds, will probably check out some of these as well.

#12 Xanilos

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 1,003 posts
  • LocationIn the South Wall Cornerclub,Balmora.

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:37 PM

View PostVarakh Snowscales, on 13 December 2015 - 08:17 PM, said:

Hey, just started playing and am wondering if theres any Noobie friendly groups about the place.. Mech fitting and stuff is really hard to understand and ive no idea how to build mechs to thier strengths.

I seem to be a little late to the party eh?

In any case I come representing the 3rd Takata lancers of which I am one of the commanders.
We are a casual unit with people in all tiers from experienced people willing to teach to players just coming in from steam.

I personally have been around for over 2 years and can usually be found either in the AFK channel or online and can personally answer any mech related questions you have. I am sliiiiiightly obsessive about knowing the stats on everything.

I am for all intents and purposes in command at the moment so if you have any questions or comments I am a good target for them.

All of the required details can be found in my signature. I hope you stop by!

Edited by Xanilos, 14 December 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#13 Valkyia

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:14 AM

Thanks for a lot of good advice, been really helpful. Just looking on finding a newer player friendly group now.. The only issue I'm having is the whole supporting a house/clan thing. All units seem to have an an associated clan or house and im not sure how much id be pigeon holed into what mechs i should be thinking about buying etc.

But really. I just wanna find some cool people to show me the ropes and get some games in. Feel free to add me in game to that effect.

#14 Fox With A Shotgun

• Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:40 AM

View PostVarakh Snowscales, on 15 December 2015 - 01:14 AM, said:

Thanks for a lot of good advice, been really helpful. Just looking on finding a newer player friendly group now.. The only issue I'm having is the whole supporting a house/clan thing. All units seem to have an an associated clan or house and im not sure how much id be pigeon holed into what mechs i should be thinking about buying etc.

But really. I just wanna find some cool people to show me the ropes and get some games in. Feel free to add me in game to that effect.

You don't get pigeonholed into buying any sort of mech. I'm in Rasalhague and I use a Kit Fox, which is a clan mech. It's only going to affect your choices in CW, and even then you can use any IS mech if you're in IS, or clan if you're in a clan.

#15 Valkyia

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:46 AM

Also http://i.imgur.com/JBsBnmL.jpg That was sooo good..

#16 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:47 AM

View PostVarakh Snowscales, on 15 December 2015 - 01:14 AM, said:

for starters the faction only matters for Faction play, also known as Comunity Warfare (the code name it was designed under and known as for its 2 years in development hell + the first year when it was in use, it was only renamed faction play about a month ago)

If you do not want to be permanently stuck with Clan or IS choose a Mercenary unit, most Mercs work for all factions, e.g. I am part of the Praetorian Legion, we are currently on a 1 month contract with Davion, when that ends we will have a vote on where to go next, usualy we take a 2 week contract with an IS faction then a 2 week with a Clan faction, we are now Davion for a month because one of our leaders is keen to take the planet St Ives again (we held it for a while before the last map reset), then build up a buffer zone around it so our tag remains on it for a while.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:52 AM

Welcome to MWO from Koniving and the Zhizhu Mercs.

You will always find me somewhere in the new player help thread, and images of me in the Perfect Screenshot Thread taken by Zhizhu's Lordred.

Just a heads-up, there isn't much "balancing" to group-play or faction warfare, consider these the "Hardcore" modes. Your experience grouped up with even one friend will drastically change how the game feels as well as how difficult it could be.

If you get any questions, feel free to ask. In the mean time I hope you find the group you're looking for.

#18 Valkyia

• Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:11 AM

View PostKoniving, on 15 December 2015 - 03:52 AM, said:

Welcome to MWO from Koniving and the Zhizhu Mercs.

You will always find me somewhere in the new player help thread, and images of me in the Perfect Screenshot Thread taken by Zhizhu's Lordred.

Just a heads-up, there isn't much "balancing" to group-play or faction warfare, consider these the "Hardcore" modes. Your experience grouped up with even one friend will drastically change how the game feels as well as how difficult it could be.

If you get any questions, feel free to ask. In the mean time I hope you find the group you're looking for.

Really? I play with a friend.. we're both rolling trial mechs. We get Different Matchmaking coz we're in a group?

#19 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:28 AM

View PostVarakh Snowscales, on 15 December 2015 - 04:11 AM, said:

Really? I play with a friend.. we're both rolling trial mechs. We get Different Matchmaking coz we're in a group?

yes, the group queue is only for groups so there is better organization so it would be harder even if you are up against the same level players you are usualy up against
also where as in solo queue it just works with your tier, for a group it averages the tiers of all players in a group, so if a T1 player grouped with 2 T5 players 5+5+1=11/3= 3.66 so the t1 player would have an easy time killing t3/t4 players where as the t5 would have a harder time

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 15 December 2015 - 04:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users