- - - - -

New Player: First 25 Battles, First Mechs

New Player Feedback

68 replies to this topic

#1 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 10:51 AM

Re-hi, peoples! I introduced myself in this thread: http://mwomercs.com/...d-on-the-block/

Unfortunately, to paraphrase Mr. McCroskey, 'looks like I picked the wrong weekend to start a new game'. Friday night was taken up with the download, the tutorial, and watching these 'How to MechWarrior' videos:

Later today we will be heading into actual battle, but first, impressions on the startup process:
(apologies for the text wall, not sure how to do Spoiler boxes here)

Entering tutorial - splash screen, grainy Hunchback on a smudgey dull brownish screen. Gritty, but could be better.

Voiceover intro video was decent, nice bit of background.

At the startup/login screen, I believe I had an OPTIONS/SETTINGS choice, but didn't know what to set at that time. Display mode defaulted to a small-screen windowed mode, and I had no options to maximize it while the first few stages of intro and tutorial worked through. Might want to change that.

Once I got into the tutorial, and it allowed me to get into the Field Guide Manual and look at the HUD, eventually a press of (I think) ESC key brought up the settings/options menu in lower left, and I maximized the window. Also, it appeared that Throttle Decay stayed on during the tutorial whether I checked the box or not.

Tutorial was good, clear, easy. A couple small details, when I hit 'Firing weapons' stage, I didn't see any obvious targets to shoot at, it basically just gave a checklist of weapons to fire. (I shot the small trucks, and probably could have just discharged them into the sky, but it seemed a bit odd) Also the requirement to fire some weapons with Arm Lock on/off took a while to figure out.

Once into the next stage of the tutorial, I thought things went very smooth, clear, good practice. Nice touch that you can repeat the stages on-the-spot for higher rewards or more practice, as opposed to needing to re-enter the tutorial later.

I did notice in Settings that my mouse sensitivity was defaulted at 1.0 and this was much too high. I needed to crank it down to about 0.4 to get decent control of the cursor, some mention of this option might be useful.

Last note was that, while in the 2nd (main) part of Academy, where there is a Scroll-list on the upper right of the C D E G F H challenges (whatever the order was), I couldn't seen the whole list (just the first 4 and part of the 5th), but I also couldn't find any way to scroll the list. Probably something obvious I missed, I just walked around until I had tried all the areas.

Wrapped up the Academy session, and moved on to the game interface. Guess it's the Mechbay? Doesn't really seem intuitive but I will check all the sections, I guess it will become clear after a while.

Next up: Selecting a Trial mech. Likely start with something that has only 2 or maybe 3 weapon groups. I only have a 2-button mouse so 2 fire groups on the mouse and maybe 1 on the keyboard is all I can easily work with.

(Edit: I was going to reserve a few posts for 'early battles' feedback, but if I post new to this topic it just appends it to the bottom of this post. Oh well)

Edited by GotShotALot, 30 January 2016 - 06:52 AM.

#2 SnagaDance

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:20 AM

Nice write-up GetShotALot!

You still need to do your first 25 battles so you do not have free range of the forums yet, but may I suggest that when you do you'll repost this bit about the Academy here?: http://mwomercs.com/...ademy-tutorial/

It's a quite well monitored forum so I expect your comments to be taken seriously.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:48 AM

View PostGotShotALot, on 14 December 2015 - 10:51 AM, said:

(Edit: I was going to reserve a few posts for 'early battles' feedback, but if I post new to this topic it just appends it to the bottom of this post. Oh well)

yes, until recently the forum was quite slow and you could accidentally post 3+ times without realizing, so they made it so that multiple posts in sequence by the same person would just continue the origination, also sorry but it is against the code of conduct to make blank posts or reserve posts.

when you want to post more just edit the original post with the update.

it is good to see a record of the new player experience, until about 2 months ago, with the introduction of that tutorial, the new player experience was a lot less nice than it is now.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 14 December 2015 - 11:49 AM.

#4 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:29 PM

Selecting a Trial Mech:
As a new player, here is how selecting trial mechs to run my first 25 battles went:

Forum input and how-to guides say, Play Them All, learn what works for you and what doesn't. I don't think I will play them all (for reasons outlined) so chose them like this:

(Maybe not the best choices but having played a ton of old BT/MW titles, World of Tanks, and other combat games I have sort of a feel for what will likely work best for me. These choices are not a reliable guide for other new players, most likely.)

I want to play all the weight classes. Trying roughly 6 matches in each, so I will pick 2 mechs per class and do 3 games each.

Light: Raven 3L (2 ERLL) and Jenner F (6 ML) are in because simple weapon systems while I am learning to pilot. Would have tried a clan one but Cheetah has 6 Small laser, very short range, and Adder has 2 ER PPC which I am not encouraged by reading the descriptions (for me, I mean - I am not so hot with ballistic style shooting)

Medium: StormCrowPR (5 MPULS) and Enforcer (AC10, 5 MLAS) are in for same reason, Hunchback (8ML) was tempting but probably too hot for me (I overheated a fair bit during the Academy combat tests) and ShadowCat 2ERML and 1 Gauss sounds good but I read a lot about the Gauss needing practice, so bye-bye Miss Pryde!

Heavy: Thunderbolt 9SE (3 LPL) and TimberWolf (2 LPL, 3 ERML) are in because, Thunderbolt and Timberwolf! (Kidding, simple weapons with good range). Catapult with only LRMs and SRMs is out because missiles, and Ebon Jag because it has too much mix of weapons (2 SRM, 2 LRM, 2 AC2). When I am busy deciding who's going to GetShotALot, I can't be wondering which weapon to choose next.

Assault: King Crab - 3 ML and 4 AC5? YEAH BABY! Next choice is tougher, but I think it's gonna have to be the Atlas RS with AC20, 4 ML and 2 SRM6. I am very tempted by the DireWolf with 2LPL, 2 Gauss, 3 ERML but reading about speed, chargeup, guass nerfs - I think I will be a sitting duck really. And the Executioner has a dog's breakfast of weapon systems, SmallPulse, MedPuls, ERSmall, LargePuls, SRM6; I wouldn't know which end things were going to shoot out of next.

So there we have it, Raven, Jenner, Enforcer, StormCrow, Thunderbolt, TimberWolf, Atlas and King Crab. Shame the clanners got mostly left out, but everyone knows their cockpits smell funny anyway...

Edited by GotShotALot, 14 December 2015 - 01:41 PM.

#5 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:19 PM

Wow.. wish I'd been so methodical when I started a few months back...Posted Image

Mine was more like - the Zeus was free for buying the Marauder and Warhammer collections, similar how I ended up with my Wolverine... so I c-billed the other variants to master them. The Jenner beat out the Raven because it doesn't get much love in the forums it seems, and it looked cool....

.. man, I sound like a terrible pilot now that I look back. Posted Image
However, I love my chosen chassis, do decent in them and heck with metas Posted Image

You, sir, I admire and look forward to reading more of your journey!

#6 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 05:43 PM

First 6 Battles- MEDIUM

Starting with Enforcer 4R. 5 Medium Lasers and an AC/10 OF DOOM!

Battle 1 - River City Night, Assault.
1 minute matchmaking, 20 second voting, 30 seconds load time, 40 secs in Drop Prep screen. 6 minute battle. 3-9 loss by base cap.
Cadet Bonus 1: 800,000 Cbills. Match payout, uncertain but small.

Impressions:
Spoiler

Battle 2 - Frozen City Night, Skirmish.
15 second matchmaking, 20 vote, 1 minute loading, 50 seconds Drop Prep screen. 5:26 battle. 12-7 win.
Cadet Bonus 2: 775k C-bill. +150K from Achievements, 165K match, 1,860 XP.

Spoiler

Battle 3 - Canyon, Assault.
<15 second matchmaking, 20 voting, 40 load time, just under 40 Drop Prep screen. 9:37 battle time. 6-12 loss.
Cadet Bonus 3: 750k C-bills. +88K match, 320 XP, no achieves.

Spoiler

Switch to StormCrow Prime - 5 MPL

Battle 4 - Alpine, Skirmish.
Matchmaking instant, 20 sec vote, 30 second load time, under 30 Drop Prep. 11:43 battle. 5-12 loss.
Cadet Bonus 4: 725K. +62K match, 270 XP. No achieves.

Spoiler

Battle 5 - Viridian Bog, Skirmish.
Instant match, 20 sec vote, 30 second loading maps, 35 sec Drop Prep screen. 9:54 battle time. 12-9 win.
Cadet Bonus 5: 700k C-bill. + 244K match, 4,850 XP, 5 Achievements (mostly GXP).

Spoiler

Battle 6 - Caustic Valley, Assault.
4 second matchmaking, 20 voting, 45 sec load maps, 20 sec Drop Prep screen. 7:53 battle time. 12-10 win.
Cadet Bonus 6: 675k C-Bills. + 178k match, 3,460 XP, 1 Achievement 150k C-Bills.

Spoiler

Overall Impressions
Well, the only mech that died as easy as the Academy mechs was me. Posted Image Real mechs are much tougher. I also realize that the MatchMaker is putting me in matches with all the other new guys, so I am getting an easy run so far. Probably my previous BT/MW/combat gaming and the videos etc (and extra practice in academy, almost 2 hours in there) are giving me an edge in these first few. I don't expect things to continue to go this smoothly.

Comms: Voice comms seem to work fine, though few use them (unfortunately I don't either). Very few use typing (I do a little), I can see how it is easy to miss in battle so not very useful.

Total after 6 battles: 10,494,000 C-Bills, 4,039 GXP.

3 losses, 3 wins. Overall I think my teams got mangled a bit harder than the other teams but it wasn't too uneven. Small sample size, we'll see what happens later this week when we move on to... THE HEAVIES!

Edited by GotShotALot, 14 December 2015 - 05:48 PM.

#7 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:22 PM

I think what happened in your first match with the Enforcer is either ECM, or enemies shooting from beyond 800 meters. Most mechs have a detection range of 800 meters. ECM at those ranges will actually hide a mech from being detected by sensors, and thermal vision doesn't extend that far sadly.

As for the Direwolf, I think it might be a case of range difference. Your Medium Lasers only reach as far as 540 meters (where they deal 0 damage). Up to 270 metes, they deal full damage (4), beyond 270 to 540 the damage starts to fall off, until it hits 0 at 540. The AC 10 deals 10 damage up to 450 meters, and declines in damage until it zeros out at 900 meters.

So that one was probably a bit of ECM, and not being used to weapon ranges yet.

#8 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:31 AM

One thing I still am working on as well is knowing the maps.
Several of your battle reports mention the same thing I think even now and that is unfamiliarity with some aspect of the maps.

I need to take more forum advice and spend time on the training area, hop in a fast light and tour the maps more. You are definitely a better study than I am, so I'd figure you'd have the maps darn well memorized and all those little "secret paths" found once you do more of that too.

Keep it coming, enjoy the reports. Oh, and I keep watching for you in matches... judging by your performance so far I'll getshotalot.. but it'll be fun throwing down Posted Image

Edited by Morggo, 15 December 2015 - 05:32 AM.

#9 Sandpit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 17,419 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationArkansas

Posted 15 December 2015 - 11:08 AM

View PostGotShotALot, on 14 December 2015 - 05:43 PM, said:

First 6 Battles- MEDIUM

Starting with Enforcer 4R. 5 Medium Lasers and an AC/10 OF DOOM!

Battle 1 - River City Night, Assault.
1 minute matchmaking, 20 second voting, 30 seconds load time, 40 secs in Drop Prep screen. 6 minute battle. 3-9 loss by base cap.
Cadet Bonus 1: 800,000 Cbills. Match payout, uncertain but small.

Impressions:
Spoiler

Battle 2 - Frozen City Night, Skirmish.
15 second matchmaking, 20 vote, 1 minute loading, 50 seconds Drop Prep screen. 5:26 battle. 12-7 win.
Cadet Bonus 2: 775k C-bill. +150K from Achievements, 165K match, 1,860 XP.

Spoiler

Battle 3 - Canyon, Assault.
<15 second matchmaking, 20 voting, 40 load time, just under 40 Drop Prep screen. 9:37 battle time. 6-12 loss.
Cadet Bonus 3: 750k C-bills. +88K match, 320 XP, no achieves.

Spoiler

Switch to StormCrow Prime - 5 MPL

Battle 4 - Alpine, Skirmish.
Matchmaking instant, 20 sec vote, 30 second load time, under 30 Drop Prep. 11:43 battle. 5-12 loss.
Cadet Bonus 4: 725K. +62K match, 270 XP. No achieves.

Spoiler

Battle 5 - Viridian Bog, Skirmish.
Instant match, 20 sec vote, 30 second loading maps, 35 sec Drop Prep screen. 9:54 battle time. 12-9 win.
Cadet Bonus 5: 700k C-bill. + 244K match, 4,850 XP, 5 Achievements (mostly GXP).

Spoiler

Battle 6 - Caustic Valley, Assault.
4 second matchmaking, 20 voting, 45 sec load maps, 20 sec Drop Prep screen. 7:53 battle time. 12-10 win.
Cadet Bonus 6: 675k C-Bills. + 178k match, 3,460 XP, 1 Achievement 150k C-Bills.

Spoiler

Overall Impressions
Well, the only mech that died as easy as the Academy mechs was me. Posted Image Real mechs are much tougher. I also realize that the MatchMaker is putting me in matches with all the other new guys, so I am getting an easy run so far. Probably my previous BT/MW/combat gaming and the videos etc (and extra practice in academy, almost 2 hours in there) are giving me an edge in these first few. I don't expect things to continue to go this smoothly.

Comms: Voice comms seem to work fine, though few use them (unfortunately I don't either). Very few use typing (I do a little), I can see how it is easy to miss in battle so not very useful.

Total after 6 battles: 10,494,000 C-Bills, 4,039 GXP.

3 losses, 3 wins. Overall I think my teams got mangled a bit harder than the other teams but it wasn't too uneven. Small sample size, we'll see what happens later this week when we move on to... THE HEAVIES!

You'll find as you move up in tiers those comms get used a lot more often. From about tier 3 up you'll deal with more veteran and top level players and coordinated teams and/or drop callers for units.

View PostMorggo, on 15 December 2015 - 05:31 AM, said:

One thing I still am working on as well is knowing the maps.
Several of your battle reports mention the same thing I think even now and that is unfamiliarity with some aspect of the maps.

I need to take more forum advice and spend time on the training area, hop in a fast light and tour the maps more. You are definitely a better study than I am, so I'd figure you'd have the maps darn well memorized and all those little "secret paths" found once you do more of that too.

Keep it coming, enjoy the reports. Oh, and I keep watching for you in matches... judging by your performance so far I'll getshotalot.. but it'll be fun throwing down Posted Image

use the training grounds to get to know the maps. Just choose a fast light mech and float through the maps. It will help you immensely.

#10 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 12:19 PM

Love your reports GetShotALot! Here's to hoping we drop in a match together someday. Posted Image

And you already had a 5 kills match??? Man, I believe that took me a year until I got 5 kills in one match (best is still 7 kills). Posted Image

Btw, you can screenshot your end of game screen (or any time in MWO really). They'll be auto-saved to: C:\Users\*YourUserNameHere*\Saved Games\MechWarrior Online\ScreenShots

#11 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:41 PM

(Logging in after the patch, received a nice 1 Day Premium time bonus, which will affect c-Bill and XP awards I guess)

During the day I did a little more googling, forum scanning, and video watching. Picked up 2 pointers I hadn't really noticed about weapons/grouping.

The ARM mounted weapons are denoted by the CIRCLE icon in your weapons list. The TORSO mounted weapons by the large + crosshair. Arm weapons have a separate cursor (small circle) which on some mechs, has more range of motion than the torso cursor (the large + crosshair). The ARM LOCK we saw in Tutorial can lock your arm weapons to same cursor as your torso, or free them for more motion.

Getting ready to fire up my ThunderBolt 9SE, I noticed it had all 3 large pulse lasers on the torso, BUT that one of them was noticeably higher than the other two. I went into the Testing Grounds, fired all my lasers, found out the first one was the high one. Made that weapon group 1, the two low ones weapon group 2. This allows me to split my fire for lower heat generation, AND to have at least 1 weapon with a higher firing angle for shooting over obstacles (like that medium that keeps standing in front of you).

You could also do a left/right split as well. The F3 key took my viewpoint out of the cockpit which was helpful in seeing which weapon was firing.

I set up my Weapon Groups, exited to MechBay, and hit the BATTLE! button. (Which is what all my other combat games call it, MWO calls it the 'Quick Play' button. Kind of wimpy if you ask me.)

Battles 7-9, ThunderBolt 9SE, 3 Large Pulse Laser

Battle 7 - Frozen City, Assault
28 seconds matchmaking, 20 voting, 38 map load, 80 sec in Drop Prep screen. 8:18 battle time. 11-5 win by base cap.
Cadet Bonus 7: 650k C-bills, +237K match, 2,820 XP, 2 achieves (GXP).

(Small difference here, for the first time I voted in the vote screen. Assuming my 3 LPL were going to run hot, I voted for Frozen City and got it.)

Impressions:
Spoiler

Battle 8 - River City, Assault
22 seconds matchmaking, 20 voting, 57 second load maps, 37 Drop Prep screen. 8:49 battle. 12-4 win.
Cadet Bonus 8: 625k C-bills, +251k match, 4,156 XP, 1 Achievement (1,000 GXP)

Spoiler

Battle 9 - Viridian Bog, Skirmish
50 seconds matchmaking, 20 vote, 32 map load, 85 seconds Drop Prep screen. 7:40 battle time, 12-7 win.
Cadet Bonus 9: 600k C-bills, + 242k match, 3,720 XP, no achieves.

Spoiler

Overall, matchmaking times were considerably longer for the heavy than the mediums. I really liked the simple, effective 3 LPL setup on the Thunderbolt. Less impressed by all 3 not only torso mounted but all in the SAME torso. Enjoyed the mech anyway.

Also noticed that some matches get 2X XP for first win of the day or something? I have no idea which of these matches may have gotten it. The C-Bill and XP bonuses from Premium time were quite nice.

3 drops, 3 wins for the Thunderbolt. Am I liking the Thunderbolt? Why yes, yes I am. Posted Image (Although prob just random luck.) Currently at 13,099,341 C-Bills, 8.073 GXP.

Next up, the mighty TIMBERWOLF! Arrroooooo!

Edited by GotShotALot, 15 December 2015 - 06:02 PM.

#12 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:59 PM

Your first victory every day gets 2x XP. But the reset isn't necessarily at midnight local. I think it's around 8 or 9 pm EST.

That is, first victory per day PER MECH.

Edited by TheRAbbi, 15 December 2015 - 05:59 PM.

#13 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:42 AM

View PostGotShotALot, on 15 December 2015 - 05:41 PM, said:

Overall, matchmaking times were considerably longer for the heavy than the mediums. I really liked the simple, effective 3 LPL setup on the Thunderbolt. Less impressed by all 3 not only torso mounted but all in the SAME torso. Enjoyed the mech anyway.

Also noticed that some matches get 2X XP for first win of the day or something? I have no idea which of these matches may have gotten it. The C-Bill and XP bonuses from Premium time were quite nice.

3 drops, 3 wins for the Thunderbolt. Am I liking the Thunderbolt? Why yes, yes I am. Posted Image (Although prob just random luck.) Currently at 13,099,341 C-Bills, 8.073 GXP.

Next up, the mighty TIMBERWOLF! Arrroooooo!

when you move your mouse over the play button it gives you information on the queue, the higher % a weight class has the longer the wait time is likely to be, heavy is the most popular weight class and almost always the highest wait time, with assaults or mediums usually in second place, and lights almost always have the shortest wait times.

you have all 3 LPL in the same torso so you can shield with the other side of the Mech, and that TDR has a STD engine so you can literally loose both arms, 1 leg and 1 torso but still have all your weapons.

the 2x XP is for the first win in each individual Mech.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 16 December 2015 - 03:14 AM.

#14 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:41 AM

It is not a must to restrict yourself playing with trials in the first 25 or so matches. I used to play new trials from time to time, until i ended up with too many mechs.

#15 SnagaDance

• Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,860 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:44 AM

Another tip, you say you have a 2-button mouse, but usually the scroll wheel itself is clickable as well, so you can assign 3 weapon groups to the mouse.

(I personally have group 1 L-button, group 2 R-button and group 3 Scroll button)

#16 GotShotALot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:37 PM

Battles 10-12 take place in the TimberWolf-C, Clan Mech, 2 Large Pulse Laser and 3 ER Medium Laser. Also just noticed this version has jump jets, which should come in handy!

Battle 10 - River City, Skirmish
6 seconds matchmaking, 20 voting, 61 map load, 20 sec in Drop Prep screen. 12:38 battle time. 8-12 loss.
Cadet Bonus 10: 575k C-bills, +199K match, 1,605 XP.

Impressions:
Spoiler

Battle 11 - Tourmaline Desert, Skirmish
7 seconds matchmaking, 20 voting, 38 second load maps, 60 Drop Prep screen. 15:00 battle. 7-12 loss.
Cadet Bonus 11: 550k C-bills, +68k match, 225 XP.

Spoiler

Battle 12 - Alpine Peaks, Skirmish
5 seconds matchmaking, 20 vote, 42 map load, 25 seconds Drop Prep screen. 9:25 battle time, 5-12 loss.
Cadet Bonus 12: 525k C-bills, + 148k match, 1,185 XP.

Spoiler

Well, 3 matches and 3 losses for the TimberWolf-C. That'll teach me for feeling so perky in the Thunderbolt, I guess. I did like the Timberwolf but overall, these 3 matches felt like the other team had their game on and we were kinda directionless.

Also, pretty big variation in the XP from these battles... low of 225, others over 1,000? Gonna have to start paying more attention to what gives XP and what doesn't, I guess.

Totals: 15,164,000 C-Bills, 8,233 GXP.

(PS: I do pay attention to and appreciate the tips on mouse buttons, UI, etc. I just have limited posts per day so don't do separate replies, but thank you!)

Edited by GotShotALot, 16 December 2015 - 03:38 PM.

#17 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:52 PM

View PostSnagaDance, on 16 December 2015 - 08:44 AM, said:

Another tip, you say you have a 2-button mouse, but usually the scroll wheel itself is clickable as well, so you can assign 3 weapon groups to the mouse.

(I personally have group 1 L-button, group 2 R-button and group 3 Scroll button)

My personal setup has the scroll "button" my targeting so I don't have to reach for 'r'. I find I can get faster targets in the heat of battle with that, moved weapon group 3 to my thumb button.

Your mileage may vary :)

#18 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:38 AM

View PostGotShotALot, on 16 December 2015 - 03:37 PM, said:

(PS: I do pay attention to and appreciate the tips on mouse buttons, UI, etc. I just have limited posts per day so don't do separate replies, but thank you!)

after you have finished your first 25 games those limits on posting go away, and from the fact that you show as a rookie not a recruit you should no longer be limited

#19 Strykewolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 394 posts
  • LocationRogue River, Oregon

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:43 AM

Pretty sure this thread will be helpful to folks. I'm returning after a second several month break...and, looks like 20-ish more folks I know will be joining - folks I know on steam; and more from another site where MWO is getting some positive reenforcement from those of us who have played in the past and currently.

Heh. Gonna be fun. :)

#20 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:24 PM

12 drops in, and you're now Tier 4.

Two things about that. 1.) Some of the others that are joining you at Tier 4 early in their careers, probably aren't quite that good yet. 2.) You'll probably be well into Tier 3 by the time you get out of cadet status, and that will be considerably better.

I say that the higher tier will be better, because you're less likely to have your fellow new players there, and more folks there will pretty much know how to play. I still say that it's no place for anyone that doesn't have about a dozen drops on each and every map so far, but that's another discussion entirely. NOT the OP's fault, at any rate.

Let me take a moment to say this to GotShotALot: You're doing REALLY well so far, judging by what you've shared here. KEEP THAT UP!

The TBR is the game's top mech for a reason. That said, even though it's among the best mechs for carrying a team, it still takes top-tier pilots to be able to carry in it. From the sound of it, your three TBR drops have all suffered from poor scouting (NOT the TBR's role) and less-than-stellar team coordination (NOT the cadet's role). That you felt compelled to take charge and direct your team on one drop already, only a dozen drops into your career, is saying something about the quality of players currently populating Tier 4.

Advice: If you find yourself taking charge again in the future, try to remember what mechs you have on your team. Which lance has the fast ones, which the slow ones. Don't, I mean DO NOT, be afraid to start calling out a particular lance or player to do something. Friendly, of course. But telling Alpha Lance to stay close to the team at E8, or TheRAbbi to go his noob @$$ out to scout for enemies in the area of such-and-such, is fine and dandy. And if you come across having the LEAST confidence at all, folks will generally get with the program.

They'll also expect you to continue performing as the drop caller, so be prepared for that too.

At least on larger maps, I feel the scout role is terribly underutilized. You'll know a good scout when you have one; we won't shut the F up about enemy locations and conditions and so on.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users