- - - - -

Im Noob Help Needed Asap

16 replies to this topic

#1 Blisz

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 13 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:47 AM

I just started playing mechwarrior online ( i have never played it before) and I bought a mech called centurion. But I'm not so pleased with it. I have 2 CPD (lightning beam things) , 1 SRM (short range rockets) and 2 medium lasers. I want to make it better is there anything I can do? Also is there a good (and not expensive) mech that i could use (with medium/far range) if so tell me. Also my mouse is too fast to shoot something. Can someone tell me the advised settings?

#2 Unreliable Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 209 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 11:56 AM

Check this out: http://metamechs.com...ides/centurion/

This game also works well with a lower sensitivity, you can change that in the game settings.

Edited by Owen Miller, 14 December 2015 - 11:56 AM.

#3 Johny Rocket

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,211 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

Stock mechs meh. You need to buy 3 variants so you can level them up thru the Skills, look in game in mechlab for the Skills tab at top, then find your mech in the list. You use xp or gxp to unlock efficiencies (skills). When you have all 3 thru basics you can work on elite, you don't have to elite all 3, once a mech has unlocked all elite skills it gets a 2x multiplier on basic skills. so this really does hotrod your mech.

The mouse question is tough because equipment and human element are so varied. Start in settings with all mouse control turned down launch in the testing grounds in mechlab home and turn them up a bit at a time til it suits you.

Need more info on which Centurion Variant you purchased.
This is good place to find details on builds for your mechs
http://mwomercs.com/...96-battlemechs/

Black Jacks and Hunchbacks are modestly priced medium mechs that have variants that excel in midrange. Though Centurians are good at fast midrange fighting with 1 variant having the highest engine size cap of any medium, 385 engine if I am remembering correctly, most 50-55t mediums the cap is 360. All clan mechs have locked engines.

Edited by Tractor Joe, 14 December 2015 - 12:04 PM.

#4 Roughneck45

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Handsome Devil
  • The Handsome Devil
  • 4,452 posts
  • LocationOutreach

Posted 14 December 2015 - 01:24 PM

Tell us which variant you got and how you'd like to play it and we can come up with a build for you.

Low mouse sensitivity is better, its particularly important for Lasers since you want the full burn on one location.

Edited by Roughneck45, 14 December 2015 - 01:25 PM.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:14 PM

View PostBlisz, on 14 December 2015 - 11:47 AM, said:

I just started playing mechwarrior online ( i have never played it before) and I bought a mech called centurion. But I'm not so pleased with it. I have 2 CPD (lightning beam things) , 1 SRM (short range rockets) and 2 medium lasers. I want to make it better is there anything I can do? Also is there a good (and not expensive) mech that i could use (with medium/far range) if so tell me. Also my mouse is too fast to shoot something. Can someone tell me the advised settings?

View PostRoughneck45, on 14 December 2015 - 01:24 PM, said:

Tell us which variant you got and how you'd like to play it and we can come up with a build for you.

Low mouse sensitivity is better, its particularly important for Lasers since you want the full burn on one location.

"CPD" sounds like "PPC." Clearly he is using the Centurion CN9-AL.

In this older video, myself and three other people (including the one making this video) took pure stock CN9-Ds and wrecked everything we saw. The video gives gameplay-based tips on its use. CN9-D was considered the worst Centurion in terms of its stock build due to its fragility.

Also good music.

Consider the following options:
One, remove a PPC and pack on a second SRM launcher. Make sure both are SRM-4 or SRM-6.
Two: Trade PPC, MLs, and SRMs for three Large Lasers and lots of heatsinks (DOUBLES! Not singles). Death-ray much?
Three: Pack 4 ML, some SRMs or LRMs or Streaks, make sure the engine's a good STD size. No XL needed here.

No matter what, get DOUBLE heatsinks and Endo Steel. You'll be a LOT happier.

My Centurion joke build; if you can do this with a Centurion, you can do anything with one.

More Centurion fun (hero Centurion Yen Lo Wang).

#6 JesterMWO

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 93 posts
  • LocationFife, Scotland

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:28 PM

Centurion is a good mech for beginners and advanced pilots alike. I love my 9D (unusual build - AC2, AC5 and 2 medium lasers) but all of the variants survive some punishment, are reasonably fast, versatile and can deal some decent damage.

The Smurfy mechlab is a great tool for trying out mech builds without spending any cBills before you commit to anything in game (http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab).

I'm not in my main PC at the moment by I think my build for my Centurion 9-AL is like this (link to Smurfy build) -

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...9d41b6c89b7e460

2 large lasers, 2 medium lasers and a standard 275 engine (maximum for this mech) plus lots of double heatsinks.

Edited by JesterMWO, 14 December 2015 - 02:42 PM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:37 PM

View PostJesterMWO, on 14 December 2015 - 02:28 PM, said:

Centurion is a good mech for beginners and advanced pilots alike. I love my 9D (unusual build - AC2, AC5 and 2 medium lasers)but all of the variants survive some punishment, are reasonably fast, versatile and can deal some decent damage.

That's my Wang build in "Wang Squad." :)

#8 JesterMWO

• PipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 93 posts
  • LocationFife, Scotland

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:46 PM

"That's my Wang build in "Wang Squad." Posted Image"

I prefer that build on my 9D (with AC5 cooldown and range modules it's like an AC7). Tried it on my Yen-Lo for few games but reverted to my good old AC20 and 2ML build on that.

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 14 December 2015 - 02:46 PM

Mine was made before quirks. :P

#10 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 14 December 2015 - 09:31 PM

Okay. I'm not sure what the energy weapons are, either PPCs, or maybe Pulse Lasers.

However, I have good news, and I have bad news:

Can you make it better? Absolutely. The Centurion is one of my all time favorites, and it can absolutely wreck faces, and cave cockpits in.

Is there a noob-friendly medium to long range that is affordable? Yes (The centurion can also do that.)

The bad news? It will take plenty of C-Bills.

Now, if you give me the exact variant you bought (was it CN9-A, CN9-D, CN9-AL, CN9-AH?) I'd be able to tailor make a build specifically to your playstyle.

The first thing you will need to do, and this is practically universal, is get the Double Heatsinks Upgrade for 1.5 Million C-Bills. Then install those puppies, instead of the single ones that get removed when the upgrade is installed. That will instantly make your life a LOT easier, and help you sustain damage better, and for longer.

#11 Blisz

• Pip
  • Big Brother
  • 13 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 10:37 AM

thnx guys for the help. my centurion is CN9-AL and it was ppc (Forgot the namePosted Image)

#12 IraqiWalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 9,682 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:14 AM

View PostBlisz, on 15 December 2015 - 10:37 AM, said:

thnx guys for the help. my centurion is CN9-AL and it was ppc (Forgot the namePosted Image)

Okay, now we know the variant. Can you tell me more about how you want to play it? That way I can design the weapons and equipment properly.

#13 VATER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 156 posts
  • LocationEYE OF TERROR

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:48 AM

You can also go to SMURFY's MECHLAB and tinker around a bit. That way you will not waste CBills and get a general idea of the possibilities.

#14 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:13 AM

here are a few ideas, of course if you tell us the weapons or roles you like we will be able to come with better customized builds for you

this will make a good short range brawler,
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...4117dbf0fcd37ae
set the weapons to 3 groups, (arm lasers, torso lasers and missiles) fire everything then twist to put your left arm between you and the enemy, then twist back and fire again, keep doing this after loosing the arm, until you loose the left torso then start doing the same but to the right, if you start to run hot stop using the lasers and fall back into cover until you have cooled off

this one will run cooler but is more fragile and a lot more expensive due to the XL engine, loosing any torso will kill you
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...955d02aa33ef3d2

this is a med range fire support platform
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...7e00bb7d18e9f2f
the LRMs can be used at any distance from 180-1000m, and work best if chainfired, the large lasers are best inside 500m, this build takes full advantage of the Mech quirks, as it uses an XL engine again you want to make sure you do not loose a torso, and again sheild with your arms, use the empty right arm until you loose it then start shielding with the left.

#15 WANTED

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 611 posts
  • LocationFt. Worth, TX

Posted 16 December 2015 - 05:19 AM

What they said above is all correct. By play style Iraqi want to know do you like to get into people's faces ( Mechwarrior calls this Brawling ) or do you like to sit back and snipe? There are other variants of these play styles in Mechwarrior but these are the general main styles. Once you know that you build a mech to tailor to your style.

#16 MajCyric

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 20 posts
  • LocationSin City

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:18 AM

Also my mouse is too fast to shoot something. Can someone tell me the advised settings?

Alter your mouse settings in the options.. also if you're a gung ho enough of a gamer look into getting a RAT7 mouse

#17 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 December 2015 - 06:56 AM

View PostWANTED, on 16 December 2015 - 05:19 AM, said:

What they said above is all correct. By play style Iraqi want to know do you like to get into people's faces ( Mechwarrior calls this Brawling ) or do you like to sit back and snipe? There are other variants of these play styles in Mechwarrior but these are the general main styles. Once you know that you build a mech to tailor to your style.

other important factors include how fast you want to go and if there are specific weapons you prefer or do not like

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users