- - - - -

I Haven't Been Playing For A While.

13 replies to this topic

#1 Gretos

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:34 AM

Hello all,
  • You can consider me as a new player because I haven’t been playing for almost 2 years.
I used to play mostly medium HBK and heavy Cataphract which I really enjoy to play.
I have mastered CTF 3D and CTF 1X but I prefer to play CTF 3D with dual Gauss or dual UAC5.
I found that with new querks system CTF 3D is very good with dual UAC5 – I am able to kill 2-4 mechs with +800dmg but I play only quick matches.

There is plenty new mechs which I want try but the problem is that I don’t have so much time to play.
I am aksing you for advice which mech can I buy because I want try something new.
I prefer heavy and want to try assault class with minimum speed 70km/h. I prefer 80km/h.
I can use all kind of weapons except of LRMs which I hate.
It will be great if new mech be little similar to CTF 3D.

I have no experience with assault class so maybe it is time to try it. It must be at lease 70km/h.
PS. I play only IS and CBills mechs.
  • Can you explain me in short what is CW and if it is worth to try?
I have time only for few matches a day.

#2 Ingga Raokai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 239 posts
  • LocationInternet

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:53 AM

View PostGretos, on 15 December 2015 - 01:34 AM, said:

I am aksing you for advice which mech can I buy because I want try something new.
I prefer heavy and want to try assault class with minimum speed 70km/h. I prefer 80km/h.

• Can you explain me in short what is CW and if it is worth to try?
I have time only for few matches a day.

I'll just chuck in both sides.

For Heavy mechs

From Clan
Timby for a bit of clan taste in you hangar http://mwo.smurfy-ne...51b3b8c58e35654
(well technically all clan heavies can go above 70, so I'll stop here)

From IS there is plenty:
Jager (although ofter the build is running just below 70 or around it),
Thunderbolt have good builds (mainly lasers though), MedPulse build, LargPulse build, ERPPC build depends on the quirks,
Catapult as you request LRM build Posted Image or the K2 with UAC.
Grasshopper (another laser mech), Black Knight (moar lazor) or Marrauder (laser and a bit ballistic) usually walks around 70~75

For assault mech.

From Clan there are 1~3 mechs that can go 70s:
Gargoyle,
Warhawk (think it is 68kp right now),
Executioner (activate the MASC).

From IS there are a few too:
Battlemaster can go above 70,
Victor (kinda shadowed by other assault mech these days),
Banshee (kinda difficult to get the build that can go above 70),
Zeus (a lot people using it).
(Or take Awesome 9M with XL, kinda challenging, and the only Awesome that get to 80)

PS: You might want to stay medium queue for now or assault, as a lot of people drop with heavies. Just for quicker queue time, you know.

Edited by Ingga Raokai, 15 December 2015 - 02:16 AM.

#3 Raubwurst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 15 December 2015 - 01:57 AM

I don't have the time for a good CW summary right now, but maybe you want to check this 5 minutes video, from Kanajashi, out :)

#4 z3a1ot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 203 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:02 AM

Hello there!

For heavy mech you could try Thunderbolts, especially 5ss variant because of its good MPL quirks. That mech is a beast right now, and you can mount big enough STD engine there to satisfy your speed requirements. For ballistic platform there is always Jaggermech but you will need XL engines on them to go as fast as you want. Another heavy that comes to mind is Grashopper, also energy oriented mech, you can make it go fast with just STD engines but the drawback is that its very big easy to hit mech.

For assaults I would say Victors and Zeus maybe, probably with XL engines but they are tough to play with nowdays.

And lastly CW is faction oriented game mod where you join a faction to your liking and basically fight for your faction. You can earn cbills, GXP, Mechbys, MC by playing CW if you earn enough loyalty points with your faction. But be warned there is no match making in CW and often you will run into organised teams there.

Try this site for building mechs before you buy:
http://mwo.smurfy-net.de/mechlab

#5 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:34 AM

If you want to drive an assault mech....why would you want to go this fast ?
While the heatsink space in assaults reaktors rises every 25 pts rating the reactor tonnage above 300 rating is also rising quite quickly so your Mechweight/payload rating gets more inefficent the faster you go. Also the urge to get XLs is rising and that will make you more squishy than any medium.

But...hey. The notion that heavy Battlemechs need to go fast is a sickness that seems to be predominant in this game and is heavily supported by gamedesign and lack of terrain interaction.

But hey who am I to say whats right. Take one of the lighter Assault mechs like Victor, Zeus or Battlemaster.
Zeus and Battlemaster are Leuality or Hero Variants but there are other with similar capabilitys.
Battlemaster for Energy and Missile and Zeus for mixed loadouts. Victor if you liked the Centurion and got megalomanic.

Edit: For new and free to play heavy mechs take a look at the Grasshopper if you search an agile jumpcapable energy boat or since you are CTF pilot already take a look at the ECM Catphract
( an empty sheat for you to fill )

Edited by The Basilisk, 15 December 2015 - 03:11 AM.

#6 Gretos

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:15 AM

Thank you for your feedback.
The reason I want +70km/h is that I don’t feel comfortable with lower speed. Only this.
I know that there is a problem with game queue and that’s why I decided to try assault.
I prefer a tanky mech because I have tendency to play as a brawler even if there is 2 vs 1 or 3 vs 1 fight :)
With my CTF 3D this is not a problem but my medium mechs are too weak for this game style.
I have read on this forum that many peoples complain nowadays about Cataphracts but to be honest the only drawback which I see is law mounted hard points.

Too many good mechs and too little time for game :/
I can see now that they even introduced ECM Cataphract – so many new things :)

#7 Gretos

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:31 AM

I decided to play some CW games.

I watched some tutorials and read guides but to be honest I am a little confused.
I have read that it is possible to win extra mech bay for 2nd level of each clan loyalty so I take o short term contract with first better clan but the problem is that I can use only trial mechs (at the moment I have only IS mechs).
On youtube I saw that many people play with standard IS mechs but to be honest I don’t know how to use them?

Can you explain me in few words how does it work?

#8 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:21 AM

If you are on clan side - you can only take clan 'Mechs.
If you are on is side - you can only take is 'Mechs.

#9 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:38 AM

Okay. You need FOUR (4) mechs for a CW (now "Faction Warfare"?) match. IF you do not OWN 4 mechs suitable for the match, you may use TRIAL mechs to fill the gaps. It is possible to play in ALL trial mechs (though highly discouraged).

The four mechs you choose MUST have a combined weight of at least 160 tons. The maximum weight will likely change. It has USUALLY been 240 tons. It was increased yesterday: 265 tons for IS, 250 tons for Clan. Again, the SUM of the weights of the four mechs you select, MUST be within that range.

ALL of the mechs must be from the same faction (Clan or IS), too. And it must be the faction that you have signed on to fight for. Which house or clan does not matter, only that it is either IS or Clan tech.

I HIGHLY recommend finding an existing team to fight with. Your CW/FW experience will be considerably better. 12 solo players make a fairly weak CW team, and will often find themselves being steamrolled. That means less XP, less LP (Loyalty Points, which determine your rank progress with your faction), less C-Bills, and more frowns.

Welcome back, and good luck.

#10 Gretos

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:50 AM

Thanks a lot.
I have 4 IS masterd mech with total 240 tons.
It looks like I am blind because I don't know where to check if faction is IS technology or Clan:)

#11 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:27 PM

Clan are Jade Falcon, Ghost Bear, Wolf and Most Jaguar.
IS are all the "Great Houses" and the Free Rasalhague Republic.
I am not sure, if it is stated ingame anywhere.

#12 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

From you pic there, Gretos, looks like you're a Clan Wolf guy right now. SO, while it's cool to have a full IS drop deck at your disposal, you won't be able to use it without breaking or waiting out your contract.

#13 dragnier1

• The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:42 PM

View PostThe Basilisk, on 15 December 2015 - 02:34 AM, said:

If you want to drive an assault mech....why would you want to go this fast ?

The faster the assault mech, the heavier the engine (huge difference compared to heavy mechs). This means less weapons and a weak assault mech. I am actually uncomfortable with slow speeds and take a long time to re-adjust, but that doesn't stop me from owning a few. I actually keep their speeds around 55 (except clan assaults) to ensure i can carry enough weapons in the "age" of alpha strikes.

#14 Gretos

• Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 10:57 PM

Everything is clear now. Thank you for your help.
I'm preaty sure that I will come here for help sooner or later Posted Image

I see great community here and it doesn't happen often.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users