Questions About Faction Play Map

5 replies to this topic

#1 Clan Kritz Bear

Rookie

• The God
  • The God
  • 2 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:20 PM

As an old addict to MW2 back in the day, I have a passionate love for the clans and, as a new player, fully intend to be a clanner in Faction Play.

When I loaded up the map for the first time, I noticed that the inner sphere is mostly controlled by, well, the inner sphere. That seems perfectly acceptable, but left me with some questions.

Do the map boarders change? If so what influences those changes?

Is it a massive disadvantage to have a lack of territory like the clans do, or should I not concern myself with this largely?

I know I need to "do my time" and grind masteries for a while, and that faction play is something I'll need to work toward, but I wanted to understand what the consequences are of my likely permanent loyalty pledge to one of the clans.

Thank you for your answers.

#2 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:55 PM

each day a new set of planets come up for contention, each planet has a number of zones, each time an attacker wins they take the zone, of the defender wins the zone stays as it is
if at days end the defenders control more than half they keep the planet, if they have less than half the attackers take it.

as each faction have the same number of worlds up for contention each day over all number of worlds does not realy matter

the map was reset about 2 weeks ago, before that it looked much diferant

there is nothing to stop you joining faction warefare with a set of trial Mechs but there is no skill based matchmaking in faction play so it is quite possible for a team of 12 individuals with trial Mechs to come up against a 12 person team with fully customized, mastered and moduled Mechs, in that cast the 12 new players would stand little chance of even killing the comp teams first wave (you each get to take 4 Mechs, when 1 is destroyed you chose the next), however most of the hardcore teams focus on Clan VS IS, if you play Clan v Clan or IS v IS you much reduce your chance of running into them

I would advise against a permanent contract, if you are confidant you will want to stick with e.g. Smoke Jaguar then go for it but there are definite advantages to switching between factions, for now getting rank 2 in a faction gives you a free Mechbay, rank 2 can be achieved in 4-6 games,

also if you are sure you want to play Clan you will only be able use Clan Mechs in Faction play, so avoid purchasing IS Mechs.

#3 John1352

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,025 posts
  • LocationConnecting....

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:01 PM

A planet is taken when more than 50% of the segments are controlled by the attackers. The borders move accordingly.

It doesn't matter that the clans currently have little territory, except for not being able to attack Marik, Liao and Davion just yet.

I suggest spending 1-2 weeks with each of the clans to get the free mechbays. Permanent contracts will cost you 1,150,000 C-Bills to break, which is pretty big early on.

There are lots of new players running around in trial mechs in CW at the moment. Feel free to jump in, but you will occasionally run into some very strong enemy teams.

#4 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:42 AM

View PostJohn1352, on 16 December 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

A planet is taken when more than 50% of the segments are controlled by the attackers. The borders move accordingly.

slight amendment, when 50% are controlled by the attacker at the end of the day.

the attacker can take all the points then the defender take back more than half so they keep the planet

#5 Raubwurst

• Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:44 AM

Just to clarify: "End of the day" is every 8 hours.
After these 8 hours attack phases there is a 30 minute ceasefire and then the planets switch and new ones are there to fight over.

Right now therr is no advantage for holding planets, thus it doesn't matter, that the clans do not own many planets (which is due to the map reset not long ago).

As a sidenote: Even if you have a permanent contract, you can always break it, but you will have to pay a fee for this.

#6 Duvanor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:09 AM

We are currently in the third installment of the community warfare map (not to confuse with community warfare phase 3 which will probably start in spring and bring new features). The map was reset after a final battle on Tukayyid right before the steam launch to bring a fresh map for the new players.

The map will change, but at the moment the map itself is meaningless because the planets bring no advantages besides attack lanes. In CW a faction can attack one planet of every bordering faction per phase. So big territory means more opportunities for fights.

Regarding Clan territory: There is some progress since the Steam launch. Clan Jade Falcon and Wolf are advancing while the Jaguars and Bears lost some worlds. That is a matter of population in the first place. The Jaguars and Bears have much smaller populations then the other two clans. Wolf has some pretty big units and several elite mercenaries are dropping for the Wolves at the moment. When they switch factions the Wolves advance will probably slow down.

So if you want to play Clan, just do it. Keep in mind you will need Clanmechs so focus on buying and leveling them. If you pick Bears or Jaguars be prepared to play more defense then attack. That does not mean they got no good players or units in those Clans. They just lack the population

Just keep an eye on the map and after some days you will see there is a lot of change going on. But the limit is 3 planets per border per 24 hours.

I hope this helps.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users