House Rule for game Time

3 replies to this topic

#1 Torben Ivarson

• PipPip
  • The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 29 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 02:24 PM

So the friends I play BT with for the longest time had issue with not taking 20 mins to move a mech and generally playing we have a company or more per side. This could make for some really long games. So we came up with a house rule that has worked really well over the years and has added spice to the game and I thought I would share.

First you need a chess clock like this:
http://www.wholesale...log_chess_clock

So how the rule works:
- Before the start of the turn you count up all functional mechs per side.
- For each functional mech, you are alloted 1 minute on the chess clock for your side.
- When it is your turn to move, your opponent (or team) starts the clock against you and you are not allowed to stop the clock until you finish your move. Once you stop the clock you cannot change a move.
- you go back and forth like a chess game with the clock starting time on each other until the all mechs are moved or you run out of time.
- mechs that have not finished there move when time runs out are stuck in there last position without a move. We attribute this to failed communications and pilot indecissiveness.

once this is done, you then plot shots as normal.

with team games we allocate no more than 5 mins between turns to discuss team strategy before the start of next turn.

By doing this we have sped up the game overall and created some really exciting situations where people have been caught with there pants down. You can also play this for scenarios by allowing more or less turn to one side or the other.

Hope you enjoy this suggestion.

#2 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 11 July 2012 - 10:17 PM

My group has used timers for large scale battles.

#3 Jekrump

• PipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 66 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 July 2012 - 03:16 PM

That's a good idea, just started TT and we're already having problems with long turns.

#4 Skylarr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 1,646 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationThe Restaurant at the End of the Universe

Posted 17 July 2012 - 09:40 AM

If your doing really large scale give each Mech 30 second to a minute. If time runs out, Well the person running the Mech will learn the consequence of not pre-playing his move before he was asked to move. Let him get quick advise from other players.

If you are doing a group of PCs on one side and GM on the other then I would say it is okk to have them work together and quickily discuss a move if someone is making a bad move.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users