- - - - -

Don't Buy Packs

33 replies to this topic

#1 Kshahdoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:37 PM

Yeah, I was stupid enough to buy a few of them. Now I have 11 mechs I can't get rid of and only 15 bays. Support suggest me to buy more bays... for MC. Of course they do.

#2 Famous

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 117 posts
  • LocationProbably stuck at work

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:43 PM

You should be able to sell any Mechs that don't have an (S) or (L) designation, might even be able to sell the (S)'s too. In the Mechlab click Home (top left) then select Inventory on the left side of the screen, this will open a drop down menu. Then click on Battlemechs if it is not already selected and you will have a list of everything you can sell and how much you will get for it.

Selling chassis isn't something we generally recommend because you get so little back, but right now it looks like you still have your starting 4 Mechbays plus 11 more from your packs.

Edited by Famous, 15 December 2015 - 02:50 PM.

#3 Native

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:47 PM

agreed... buying packs doesn't fill up bays.. they come with the mechs. the only ones you cant sell are founders edition mechs, phoenix variants, resistance variants, invasion variants, loyalty variants, and Sarahs jenner. all the others you technically can sell to free up space if you dont want to spend mc.

#4 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:49 PM

View PostKshahdoo, on 15 December 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

Yeah, I was stupid enough to buy a few of them. Now I have 11 mechs I can't get rid of and only 15 bays. Support suggest me to buy more bays... for MC. Of course they do.

That is a pretty wide brush you are painting with Kshahdoo. I would be a little more specific and say that using MC/real money for mechbays only is best if:
A) you aren't sure which mechs you like yet or
B) Want to get the maximum number of mechs in your hanger and do not mind grinding cbills

For players that have extra money to skip some of the grind or extra perks it can be a good option
Here is a thread link that did a very good job of analyzing value of all items included in packs/bundles. http://mwomercs.com/...eviews-welcome/

Edited by SilentScreamer, 15 December 2015 - 02:55 PM.

#5 Dawnstealer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 3,734 posts
  • LocationBlack Earth

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:53 PM

Why would you want to get rid of them? The R1, R2, and whatever-they're-calling-the-unseen mechs are rad. RAD.

Totally rad.

...like this:

Posted Image

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:53 PM

In game...
Go to HOME.
INVENTORY.
BATTLEMECHS.
Pick one, select it, and click Sell.

Enjoy your lost mechs. Think twice before doing it.
Posted Image

#7 Kshahdoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:56 PM

View PostSilentScreamer, on 15 December 2015 - 02:49 PM, said:

That is a pretty wide brush you are painting with Kshahdoo. I would be a little more specific and say that using MC/real money for mechbays only is best if:
A) you aren't sure which mechs you like yet or
B) Want to get the maximum number of mechs in your hanger and do not mind grinding cbills

For players that have extra money to skip some of the grind or extra perks it can be a good option
Here is a thread link that did a very good job of analyzing value of all items included in packs/bundles. http://mwomercs.com/...eviews-welcome/

http://steamcommunit...32338491180444/ Here I was more specific...

#8 Native

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 205 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 02:57 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 December 2015 - 02:53 PM, said:

In game...
Go to HOME.
INVENTORY.
BATTLEMECHS.
Pick one, select it, and click Sell.

Enjoy your lost mechs. Think twice before doing it.
Posted Image

100% agreed.. pony up the dough for the mechbays, cuz later on you will regret it.. I know I did.. as someone who has 20+ empty mechbays...

#9 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:01 PM

Actually rather than spending money on mechbays... make the mechs you have a bit better, throw them into community warfare, and after several matches you'll start getting free mechbays.

(Recently renamed Faction Warfare).
Posted Image
This coming from someone....who has a lot of mechbays.

Edited by Koniving, 15 December 2015 - 03:16 PM.

#10 Kshahdoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:02 PM

View PostKoniving, on 15 December 2015 - 03:01 PM, said:

Actually rather than spending money on mechbays... make the mechs you have a bit better, throw them into community warfare, and after several matches you'll start getting free mechbays.

(Recently renamed Faction Warfare).

Yeah, but I play solo, and it's a bad option for faction wars.

#11 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:06 PM

So, what's the problem here?

You want to free up those other 11 mech bays, is that it? Sorry. Those were FREE, or included in a purchase price. If you didn't have the mechs in those bays, you wouldn't have the bays either. Deal with it.

Go rank up to 2 with each faction in CW, and you'll have ten new, empty, FREE mech bays. FREE.

Because PGI wants your Rubles so badly...

#12 Kshahdoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:08 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 15 December 2015 - 03:06 PM, said:

So, what's the problem here?

You want to free up those other 11 mech bays, is that it? Sorry. Those were FREE, or included in a purchase price. If you didn't have the mechs in those bays, you wouldn't have the bays either. Deal with it.

Go rank up to 2 with each faction in CW, and you'll have ten new, empty, FREE mech bays. FREE.

Because PGI wants your Rubles so badly...

Yeah, but I hate playing solo vs premades. It's the best way to start hating any game.

#13 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:16 PM

View PostKshahdoo, on 15 December 2015 - 02:56 PM, said:

http://steamcommunit...32338491180444/ Here I was more specific...

Those where a lot of (S) variants. Never even heard of (S) variants...

Anyway, any mech such as the (F), (L) and even the (S) variants are all mechs gifted to you. They came with their own mechbays, so they didn't actually take up any of your preexisting mechbays. (I'm presuming (S) means Steam Packaged mechs?)

What you actually have are a bunch of specialty mechs with boosts to income, and your 4 original starting free mechbays. Either you can ask for a refund (only available once per account presuming you didn't own the mechs for long/played them) and they might reverse the transaction. Support is normally rather nice about this kind of stuff, but they also normally only do a one time reversal. You can use it now (if they let you) or you can hold it for later when you make another oopsie.

As far as earning additional Mech Bays, there are several ways:
- Play CW. There are mechbays you earn earn by loyalty points with a faction. Each faction has 2 free mechbays you can earn by playing CW.
- Buy them with MC. Sometimes they have sales on mechbays. I'd wait for a sale and then buy a bunch.
- Sometimes they give mechbays out as prizes. The possibly upcoming Stocking stuffer event will probably have Mechbays as possible random prizes (as well as MC).

Right now, you only own 4 non-special mechs. Those are the only mechs you can sell.

View PostKshahdoo, on 15 December 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

The lowest mechbay is at rank two. A few matches with a faction can earn you a free mechbay. Join in for those few matches, then drop it till you need another one or join a group.

I'd probably work on the mechs you currently have, maybe selling one of your 4 mechs to finish leveling another mech if needed. You can always buy them back given enough C-bills earned later...

#14 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:21 PM

So pick your fights. Look closely at the queues for the planets in contest for your faction. You can scrape together 4-6 matches in a week's contract that way. Do it once per faction. Enjoy a free mech bay every week through late February. "'Grats, bruh."

Look, I'm really sorry if I sound mean. Seriously. But there are ways to earn free stuff. And there are ways to make those ways more tolerable. If you get into a CW queue with a group of 5-8 premade, they'll usually be quite happy to have a team player in you to help out. You might even make some new friends. It's something I plan to start doing again soon, so maybe we'll get a chance to fight together. Вместе. ;-)

#15 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:23 PM

View PostKshahdoo, on 15 December 2015 - 03:02 PM, said:

True -- if you fight in opposing "Clan versus IS" on either side.
If you fight within the IS versus IS, or Clan versus Clan, you'll find that being solo won't matter as much. Since there aren't elements clearly outpowering other elements in specific styles requiring mass coordination to counter... you'll have random joes in identical mechs to other random joes and a general "charge Gate A" accompanied by "Defend Gate A".... and a grace period, and more attack/defend, and more grace with which to pick your nose, and then more attack/defense, and finally a victory or defeat to feel proud of.

Though I had one partner here, I spent most of my time rather lonely.

#16 Kshahdoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:23 PM

View PostTesunie, on 15 December 2015 - 03:16 PM, said:

Those where a lot of (S) variants. Never even heard of (S) variants...

Anyway, any mech such as the (F), (L) and even the (S) variants are all mechs gifted to you. They came with their own mechbays, so they didn't actually take up any of your preexisting mechbays. (I'm presuming (S) means Steam Packaged mechs?)

What you actually have are a bunch of specialty mechs with boosts to income, and your 4 original starting free mechbays. Either you can ask for a refund (only available once per account presuming you didn't own the mechs for long/played them) and they might reverse the transaction. Support is normally rather nice about this kind of stuff, but they also normally only do a one time reversal. You can use it now (if they let you) or you can hold it for later when you make another oopsie.

As far as earning additional Mech Bays, there are several ways:
- Play CW. There are mechbays you earn earn by loyalty points with a faction. Each faction has 2 free mechbays you can earn by playing CW.
- Buy them with MC. Sometimes they have sales on mechbays. I'd wait for a sale and then buy a bunch.
- Sometimes they give mechbays out as prizes. The possibly upcoming Stocking stuffer event will probably have Mechbays as possible random prizes (as well as MC).

Right now, you only own 4 non-special mechs. Those are the only mechs you can sell.

The lowest mechbay is at rank two. A few matches with a faction can earn you a free mechbay. Join in for those few matches, then drop it till you need another one or join a group.

I'd probably work on the mechs you currently have, maybe selling one of your 4 mechs to finish leveling another mech if needed. You can always buy them back given enough C-bills earned later...

That's the problem. I perfectly understand what you say. Now. I didn't know it when I bought those packs. Now I'm in situation when I must do something I don't want to do. Only because I was stupid enough, when I bought all those packs. That's why I sugest new players don't buy them. If you need a premium status or wanna get some MCs, it's better to buy MCs not packs.

#17 InspectorG

• The Boombox
  • The Boombox
  • 4,469 posts
  • LocationCleveland, Ohio

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:33 PM

View PostKshahdoo, on 15 December 2015 - 02:37 PM, said:

Really?

Mastery Packs are the best buy but you HAVE to do your homework before buying.

Reasons to get a Mastery Pack:

3 mechs, 3 bays, premium time per pack.

You can buy currently top level or decent mechs.

Fill gaps in a Drop Deck if you decide to devote to a Unit in CW.

You can buy the mechs you enjoy from Lore despite that they may not be top performers.

You really dont want to buy them because they seem cool, unless you have money to throw around...
They are a sizeable investment $-wise but the time investment to grind them is the bigger downside to me.

You COULD ask for a refund on some of them in exchange for MC...

#18 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:34 PM

I'm still not seeing an argument here.
Is it: Don't buy packs because you don't understand a mechanic of the game? ?

Yeah, it is odd that you can't sell some variants, but more often than not those are loyalty variants or models you got as a "spiff" for buying or doing something else. So there is not any harm really. Dont get me wrong, I really really wish I could sell that accursed loyalty Wolverine they handed out . .

BUT

If you know what you want, and are willing to spend real $ $ $, then packs are the best deal going.

On the other hand, they can be a bit risky, especially when pre-ordering a new design that is not out yet.
As always, buyer beware.

#19 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,586 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:36 PM

View PostKshahdoo, on 15 December 2015 - 03:23 PM, said:

That's the problem. I perfectly understand what you say. Now. I didn't know it when I bought those packs. Now I'm in situation when I must do something I don't want to do. Only because I was stupid enough, when I bought all those packs. That's why I sugest new players don't buy them. If you need a premium status or wanna get some MCs, it's better to buy MCs not packs.

Depending upon what one is looking for, depends upon if a mech pack is going to be worth it. It also depends upon the pack as well.

For me, when the Resistance 2 came out, it was well worth me buying my favorite Crab as part of a pre-release pack. I got my favorite mech in lore/TT as it got into the game, and I got a full set of them with mechbays. I have since greatly enjoyed my Crabs as well.

In this case, I don't believe you bought the packs being fully informed of what they were. So you didn't know if you would enjoy them or not. However, from what I saw you had some really good mechs in your inventory. Depending upon what faction you wish to play if you play FW/CW will depend upon how helpful some of those will be. If you ever play Clans, those Stormcrows and Timberwolves you own will be indispensable. As it is, if you play Quick Play, those same mechs are some of the best mechs in the game.

Also, as far as packs go, you typically get more for your money than if you bought it all in game with MC. An example I'd being would be the Crab pack I bought. I got 8 mechs because I preordered it, normally it would be 6 though. I spent $40 on the pack, and if I bought it now I'd have 6 mechs, with 6 mechbays. Each mech is worth about 1,250 MC. Each bay is worth 300 MC. So, instead of buying it all individually for about 9,300 MC (about $45 if I bought just enough MC to buy it all) I spent $40. Not to mention two of those mechs came with a +30% c-bill boost for the matches that they are used in.

The packs you bought did not seem to be what you were looking for. It doesn't mean that packs are bad though. It depends upon what packs you get, what you wanted, and if you want to use it.

#20 Kshahdoo

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • 129 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 03:40 PM

View PostBoogie138, on 15 December 2015 - 03:34 PM, said:

I'm still not seeing an argument here.
Is it: Don't buy packs because you don't understand a mechanic of the game? ?

Yeah, it is odd that you can't sell some variants, but more often than not those are loyalty variants or models you got as a "spiff" for buying or doing something else. So there is not any harm really. Dont get me wrong, I really really wish I could sell that accursed loyalty Wolverine they handed out . .

BUT

If you know what you want, and are willing to spend real $ $ $, then packs are the best deal going.

On the other hand, they can be a bit risky, especially when pre-ordering a new design that is not out yet.
As always, buyer beware.

Hm, as far as I know there is no warning, when you buy Steam packs like "Be cautious! You won't be able to sell your pack mechs to free more space in your Mech Bay, when you need it!" I mean for better understanding "a mechanic of the game".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users