- - - - -

Questions About Damage Mechanics

6 replies to this topic

#1 Brother Baffled

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:21 PM

So with the recent steam release of mwo, I decided to try get back into this game. But the last time I played was before they had clan mechs, 2-3 y ago. So I have a few questions about the damage mechanics.

1) Is the range number listed in the lower right corner of the screen in-game still optimum range? Energy weapons used to do linearly less damage to twice their listed range, and ballistic weapons were similar to up to 3 times their listed optimum range. Is there any difference in this mechanic between is and clan mechs?
2) PPCs used to do linearly reduced damage below 90m, 0 dmg at 0, 10 dmg at 90m. But now I see people saying they do 0 damage below 90m. And others say hit detection is wonky. And others say pgi have modified the damage calculations somehow. What exactly is happening here?
3) I think clan PPCs are supposed to do splash. Is this actually working?
4) Are flames still useless?

Thanks very much for your help, vets.

#2 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:33 PM

1.)So ballistics is also just out to x2 distance save for Gauss. .... Annnd maybe AC2's but I can't recall.

2.) non ER ppcs do no damage at 90m or closer. And if your closing, the distance between you might be under 90 when the server checks, if your at 92 or so when you fire. I try to hold off after they pass 100m with my ppcs.

3.) Clan Er PPCs splash 2.5 on adjacent locations an only do 10 damage to the hit location. Hitting a limb wastes 2.5 of splash damage.

4.) yes and no. They're not a great damaging weapon, but can be hilarious at locking down a target and/or blinding your opponent. Nothing quite like watching an annoying FS9 shutdown infront of a lance due to poor fire control when confronted with flamers. In general however, you'll prolly prefer small pulse.

~Leone.

Edited by Leone, 15 December 2015 - 05:28 PM.

#3 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 15 December 2015 - 04:38 PM

Flamers are OP at laughter.

#4 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:36 PM

View PostLeone, on 15 December 2015 - 04:33 PM, said:

1.)So ballistics is also just out to x2 distance save for Gauss. .... Annnd maybe AC2's but I can't recall.

IS LBX 10 is also 3x range.

#5 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 05:40 PM

View PostBrother Baffled, on 15 December 2015 - 04:21 PM, said:

4) Are flames still useless?

Against lower-end computers it can result in drastic frame rate drops. Also makes it pretty hard for the flamed mech to be able to discern where you are aiming and therefore harder to spread the damage of your more focused weapons due to the flamers' cone of fire mechanic.

After 8 minutes in.

Edited by Koniving, 15 December 2015 - 05:41 PM.

#6 Brother Baffled

Rookie

• 4 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 06:38 PM

Thanks for the help guys

#7 Nerdboard

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 226 posts

Posted 15 December 2015 - 09:48 PM

to 1) Most of the Clan lasers recently had their maximum range decreased. For those weapons the maximum range is about 50 or 60% more than the effective one, not twice as much. There's a list with the values out there somewhere. You should find it if you google, if I remember correctly its all the medium and small lasers on clan side.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users