Omni Pods, Nova D, And Other Clan Questions

4 replies to this topic

#1 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:12 AM

Can you buy these, if you don't have access to the mech? If not, any idea when it is coming for C-bills?

(JC Daxion here)

On another Note, on clans, as i'm a total clan newbie outside of killing them.

I really wanted to get nova's first.. I just always liked them, and my hate for the stormcrow and lack of JJ's makes me want to skip it. BUT i noticed, that it's the only medium clan side that i can run Dual missile packs on the torso.. Left and right side. The D has the arm though, so it could work.. I am finding the clanners run hot too, so it makes me wonder if running some sorta ballistics set-up on novas is viable. Typically i just see laser boats with them.. (though that is classic nova, and kinda the reason why i wanted it anyway)

Now, with trials, i've been playing the mad cat, and i am having fun, and i know they are super versatile.. it's almost making me want to just get that for my first clan mech. I know that's almost blaspheme coming from an inner sphere guy. I also don't wan't to get sucked into using arguably the best clan mech to learn the clan side.. But it almost reminds me of inner sphere side, just because of the amount of load outs i can run with it. It;s also a heavy, which means longer cue times..

Summoner.. this was the clanner heavy i wanted to get down the road.. but something is making me say, get it.. Thor's have also been a fav of mine. And yea, it would break the getting a heavy first rules.. But it's a thor! I have to ask, are they that bad? Or are they just not a mad cat? Do they do things you can't do in the Timber?

Shadow hawk, Another fav from back in the day, and it looks like it is pretty flexible, but it runs at 45 tons. I do see them around a bit, and they seam decent.. Outside flexibility what bonuses do you think they have over the Nova?

So what do you guys think i should get for my first 3 clanners? I'll just be playing trials collecting achievements till i hit 25 and then decide.. but i really torn. My orginal plan was Nova, Nova, Summoner, Warhawk... But after playing with the timber.. it has me torn! Do i break all my rules i made up for myself.. or stick to the plan? :)

Edited by CJ Daxion, 16 December 2015 - 01:00 AM.

#2 dragnier1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Covert
  • The Covert
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 16 December 2015 - 02:43 AM

Shadow Cat you mean? Some like it, others don't. The one that worked for me was streaks and mlas or m pulse i think.

Summoner...despite what many said i found the brawler build working for me. More of a fun build as it doesn't pack as much punch as a timby.

Edited by dragnier1, 16 December 2015 - 02:45 AM.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:07 AM

I also wanted my Thor (Clan name Summoner) to be good, I have fond memories of playing that Mech in previous games

unfortunately with regards to the Summoner it has too little tonnage to effectively use heavy weapons but too few hardpoints to use light weapons effectively,

you could do a classic brawler type thing with a big ballistic + 4 ERML/ERSL but that will run hot, so is not even that good for a brawler (there is not even enough tonnage for AC20+ammo+4 MPL, and there are insufficient slots for an LBX20),
you can do the 5 LRM5 chainsaw (chainfire the LRM5s for a near continuous stream of LRMs) build but without energy backup as to add even a tag would require the sacrifice of 2 missile hardpoints

only having a max possible of 4 energy hardpoints, max possible weapon hardpoint count of 6 and only 20.69 tonnes free with max armor makes the Summoner the least versatile of the Clan heavies.

I am assuming you mean Shadow Cat rather than Hawk, it is a good Mech but like the Summoner suffers from lack of hardpoints (unless you want to take machineguns), it is same speed as the Kit Fox, Adder and Stormcrow but also has MASC which can be activated for much increased acceleration and agility as well as an extra 10KPH in short bursts, it has 6 fixed jumpjets meaning it is highly mobile, it works great with 2-3 large energy weapons or a large ballistic with 2 small energy as backup, I especially enjoy 2 LPL backed with 6 MGs, but that build runs hot

I cannot tell you what to do (well I could but I think that is a bad idea) I am just trying to give you information to make an informed decision

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 16 December 2015 - 03:08 AM.

#4 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:27 AM

Thanks for the info... Good stuff.. and yea, i ment Shadow Cat.. My bad.. I just have fond memories of the incredibly over powered shadow cat from Mech warrior 3. You know where you could load up 16 small lasers and leg just about anything in a few seconds.. yay salvage for all!!! Was one of the best mechs to go farming for those hard to get mechs. ahh the good ol days.. You know, when mech warrior was balanced.. Posted Image Posted Image

But, i digress.. I ended up doing the Noobie No-no, and bought a mad cat prime.. was late and i had a few beers in me and said, screw it! I do like the mech, but noticed that the prime does not have the center laser, would of bought a different one first.. then tacked an omni pod and some weapons for another 2m.. Broke my rule about not buying mechs after beers... ahh well.. Still have almost 7m banked, but the mech does run well, even with out basics.. Just playing energy, 2 LPL's, and 2 MPL's.. Haven't messed around with missiles or ballistics on them yet. Kinda just need money, and lasers are easy.

It has me wondering if i should just grab a nova prime next... Seeing i'm breaking the rules, lets break um all! Making this second account worked out fairly well.. netted about 22m by the time my cadet thingy ran out, and Premium, let me grind a trail all the way to 70k XP so when i finally grab the C- i can max it. That brought me just a shade shy of tier 3, which i was kinds surprised how fast it moved up, as my IS teir 3 account has not budged since PSR was added. Maybe PSR does work?????

Don't mind me, just rambling... But As for the Nova, any hot set-ups for it? I know it is a mech ya either love or hate.. and knowing me, i think i just might love it.. Maybe i will save the shadow Cat, and summoner for down the road, when i am more familiar with clan tech. Sounds like they are very nitch mechs.

Ohh that said, the vulture.. they look pretty similar to the Mad Cat.. is that true? At 60 tons, it makes me wonder if it plays fast like a dragon... Or is it slower and more tanky, due to it's LRM styling?

Edited by CJ Daxion, 19 December 2015 - 10:28 AM.

#5 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:28 AM

View PostCJ Daxion, on 19 December 2015 - 10:27 AM, said:

Don't mind me, just rambling... But As for the Nova, any hot set-ups for it? I know it is a mech ya either love or hate.. and knowing me, i think i just might love it.. Maybe i will save the shadow Cat, and summoner for down the road, when i am more familiar with clan tech. Sounds like they are very nitch mechs.

Ohh that said, the vulture.. they look pretty similar to the Mad Cat.. is that true? At 60 tons, it makes me wonder if it plays fast like a dragon... Or is it slower and more tanky, due to it's LRM styling?

if you want a hot Nova build just alpha strike with the prime, you will overheat and depending on the map you may die from overheating before powering back up,
as for good builds though I enjoy 12ERSL + 4 MG, it works but still runs hot, and do not alpha strike all 12 lasers

as for the Mad Dog (Vulture) it is the same speed as and less tanky than the Timber Wolf, the only real reason to take the Mad Dog is if you want lots of missiles (I love 6 LRM5 on chainfire with 3 ERML and a TAG), otherwise it is outperformed by the Stormcrow and the other Clan Heavies (except the Summoner)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users