Jenner Iic - Jenner Is Comparison

39 replies to this topic

#21 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,030 posts

Posted 27 December 2015 - 05:07 PM

Tried a 5x cSRM2 with mostly full armour build but didn't manage to do much good, even after waiting for enemies to take some damage before diving in (similar play style to Huginn)
Should I be even more patient with that kind of build?

#22 Eaerie

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 250 posts

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:45 PM

I use a 6 SRM4 build, depending on the map i scoot from cover to cover and wait for a chance to run out unload on some poor fool and get back into cover.
Need to be patient though, wait for some mechs to get damaged, SRM's aren't pin point damage so the more damaged a mech is the more likely you are to finish it off or at least destroy some components.

#23 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:14 AM

Now that some of you guys mention it, I have had some extremely frustrating matches in the Jenner when warping around or colliding with objects. Hitreg goes to hell with SRMs on those matches as well. Ping is usually around 60 for me, and other mechs during the same session aren't often having any similar issues.

My ER small and MPL Jenner IICs don't seem to have this as much as the missile variants, maybe it's luck but maybe there is a bug somewhere.

#24 TercieI

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts
  • LocationThe Far Country

Posted 07 January 2016 - 08:51 AM

The IIC can be fun, but it's larger and has no structure buffs, so it feels like it's made of wet paper. I've mastered all four now and I conclude the Oxide remains the only viable Jenner of any sort. There might be a place for a IIC-A ML build, but I'm not sold due to face time and awful hitboxes. It's an amusing mech, can be great fun, but it's not really viable.

Edited by TercieI, 07 January 2016 - 08:51 AM.

#25 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:51 AM

View PostTercieI, on 07 January 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

It's an amusing mech, can be great fun, but it's not really viable.

Shyeh, initially I was all 'cited over the notion of having a decent Clan chassis (other than my Timbys), and another Jenner and...
Dropped in them four times and went back to Wolfhounds. Posted Image I dunno, just... didn't scratch a lore itch somehow.

#26 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 07 January 2016 - 09:54 AM

View Postjuxstapo, on 07 January 2016 - 09:51 AM, said:

Shyeh, initially I was all 'cited over the notion of having a decent Clan chassis (other than my Timbys), and another Jenner and...
Dropped in them four times and went back to Wolfhounds. Posted Image I dunno, just... didn't scratch a lore itch somehow.

Do you not have ACHs? They're on sale right now. I still prefer the FS9 (and pine for the JR7), but the ACH is very good (and no longer silly hard to kill). Agreed, though, the JR7-IIC isn't outstanding and it falls well short of what it looks like on paper (just opposite of the WLF, which is way better than it should be, especially the 2).

#27 Violetear

• PipPip
  • 35 posts
  • LocationBelarus

Posted 10 January 2016 - 12:51 PM

Looks like IIC version is very underrated to me. If you arm it with 6xCSSRM2, 2JJ, BAP, XL280 and 5 tonns of ammo, add appropriate modules, it will act insanly good vs any light you encounter. Very easy to handle and meant for relaxed play and farming Posted Image

#28 juxstapo

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,683 posts
  • Locationmy Tier is bigger than yours.

Posted 10 January 2016 - 09:39 PM

View PostTercieI, on 07 January 2016 - 09:54 AM, said:

Do you not have ACHs? They're on sale right now. I still prefer the FS9 (and pine for the JR7), but the ACH is very good (and no longer silly hard to kill). Agreed, though, the JR7-IIC isn't outstanding and it falls well short of what it looks like on paper (just opposite of the WLF, which is way better than it should be, especially the 2).

I have one. I have that one basic'd in fact.. and I suppose I should pick up s'more since they're on sale.

#29 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 11 January 2016 - 10:22 AM

View PostTercieI, on 07 January 2016 - 08:51 AM, said:

The IIC can be fun

And that's the name of the game, isn't it? I'm rocking a hilariously slow (90-something kph iirc) SRM6X6 build that plays like a stock Commando on all of the steroids ever. No, it isn't great, but it is great fun to core an LRM Mad Dog out from the front while he tries desperately to reverse toward his team.

Those moments where you creep up behind a Locust pilot breaking the Locust's first rule and standing still, then unleash a 72 point scattergun into his unsuspecting buttocks...priceless.

#30 G3TxWr3cK3r3D

• Pip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 16 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:42 PM

I'm not a light pilot in the least, but I run the JR7-iic (O) with 6Srm4s with AdvSeismic, Radar Derp, Cool down and range mods for Srm4s. I love this mech. I get more kills and KMDD then with any other. Catch enemies off guard or distracted by friendlies in a brawl and just go to town on back armor and component destroys.

#31 TercieI

• Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 8,151 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:50 AM

View PostG3TxWr3cK3r3D, on 15 January 2016 - 11:42 PM, said:

I'm not a light pilot in the least, but I run the JR7-iic (O) with 6Srm4s with AdvSeismic, Radar Derp, Cool down and range mods for Srm4s. I love this mech. I get more kills and KMDD then with any other. Catch enemies off guard or distracted by friendlies in a brawl and just go to town on back armor and component destroys.

Do you have an Oxide? Due to quirks and missile spread, I think it's significantly superior to the IIC for the same style.

#32 Bespoke Cheese Cake

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 225 posts
  • LocationThem Interwebs, often in K-Town

Posted 16 January 2016 - 04:41 PM

I'm seeing a few comparisons to the Wolfhound and how the Jenner IIC is paper. I agree the the Jenner IIC along with the Hunchback IIC feels a bit soft, but I'm not at all surprised by the Wolfhounds performance. The Wolfhound is a fast 35ton energy boat with lots quirks to give it crazy buffs. The Jenner IIC on the other hand has no buffs in fact I believe it's the only Light in the game without quirks as of 17/01/2016 (even the Cheetah has buffs).

Most of the mechs in the game that don't have quirks (or have negative ones) right now are Clan heavies Like the Timber Wolf and Hellbringer which happen to have right combination of speed, armour and firepower to do just fine without help. The fact that the IIC mechs are keeping up at all shows the potential they have. Personally I've found the Jenner IIC to do well for light without quirks, give it time and the devs will probably make adjustments to give it more punch.

Then we can ask for Clan Elemental Battle Armour to be playable to really test our skills Posted Image

Edited by Bespoke Cheese Cake, 16 January 2016 - 04:42 PM.

#33 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 06:07 PM

The Jenner IIC is amazing. Finally got double basics on my point-blank SRM machine, and am only losing like 10% of my SRMs to borked hitreg. With the double basics, this gives me the equivalent of not 1, not 2, but 3 60 point alphas on most maps pre-overheat. Yeah, you have to be basically at flamer range to take advantage of this little feature, but MAN can you wreck things that don't kill you through your paper-thin unquirked armor.

I had a friendly Cicada tank a Dire Wolf's fire for me last round and killed him dead in 4 (2 per ST) shots. KMDD awards fall like mana from the heavens, and I almost always get at least one on any map that has a corner I can gank someone unsuspecting from. I actually got 4 KMDDs that match due to an intense brawl at the enemy's base, and even ran almost completely (I had 10 SRMs left) out of missiles.

#34 Wildstreak

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 5,154 posts

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:30 PM

Only played a few matches in each, no IS Jenners.
Beefed armor except 4 points per arm on all of them.
Base model with SRM20 seems fine (4SMR4 + 2SMR2 for non-GH Alpha). Had to lower the engine to a 255XL.
Others I decided to try STD engines after a match where someone shot off both opposing IIC Jenners Side Torsos and it still lived. Use STD250 on 2, STD240 on another. The 315XL seems too fast for me, if I want to run at Ludicrous Speed, I have Locusts.
Got a NARCer with 4 ERML or SPL, 4ERSL + SRM6, 6ERSL builds.

So far I only seem to do well in the Base one, the others I just don't feel them. I also tried running them stock modifying armor and weapons but the XL engines were too fragile.

#35 Tim East

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,422 posts

Posted 14 February 2016 - 10:35 PM

Update on the 6X6 SRM terror-boat: I switched back to an XL engine, am running about 120 with tweak, and I can apparently two-shot Timbys with the greatest of ease. I'm really liking the Jenner IIC base version. Not so certain of the others though. Can't quite get around how easy you are to shoot compared to my Locusts.

#36 littlebulb1

Rookie

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 September 2016 - 11:33 AM

I really think both clan and inner sphere Jenner's need a re-scale balance from their previous size and new size to somewhere in between, hate seeing their size at the moment, making them really easy targets.

#37 JENNER llC

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 108 posts

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:50 PM

one good thing about the huge oversized jenners, esp the IIC, is they are very punishing mechs when you do the wrong thing and/or go against competent opponents

you just cant get away with stuff that other mechs like locusts and cheetos can

spending time with them trying to improve, even if you do poorly, WILL make you a better pilot

they have the firepower & speed to compliment any improved piloting & tactics u develop thru trail & error/failures

#38 Requiemking

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 2,479 posts
  • LocationStationed at the Iron Dingo's Base on Dumassas

Posted 22 February 2017 - 11:16 AM

View PostJENNER llC, on 21 February 2017 - 11:50 PM, said:

one good thing about the huge oversized jenners, esp the IIC, is they are very punishing mechs when you do the wrong thing and/or go against competent opponents

you just cant get away with stuff that other mechs like locusts and cheetos can

spending time with them trying to improve, even if you do poorly, WILL make you a better pilot

they have the firepower & speed to compliment any improved piloting & tactics u develop thru trail & error/failures

And? What about the Panther and Wolfhound, who were very balanced before(Panther was actually UP), and then got unfairly punished.

#39 Sandra McCrow

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 115 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 10:26 AM

Wow new Jenners sizes are a thing to get used to indeed... especially on the open maps.

From what I gather now Jenners seem to invite a very different play-style than that suited for scout Locusts or Commandos. Whether the latter two work well as solo scout mechs roaming the field freely, poking over the ridges and totally unafraid to be sighted for a second or two and can run through or just behind an entire enemy formation to drop UAV, Jenners can't really do it anymore. Without ECMs they are easily spotable, they can be sniped at from afar and a miscalculated CQB run into anything aware of your presence easily takes you from full health to dark orange open CT and promises further LRM pain. I am still getting used to running newly rescaled mechs but it feels like the early lone scouting is not a business for Jenners any more.

Further when your teams are engaged you should still be paying extra attention to minimize your face time with enemy mechs. With commando I would be mostly unafraid to literally run through a formation of 4-5 mechs spitting SRMs into anything in front of me and taking glancing hits before I am around the corner. Alas a max of 10, may be 12 SRMs do not allow for a high alpha per run, but then you just re-engage and rack up. With Jenner the same manoeuvre is likely to result in an open CT half way through the first run. So instead I am now trying to play more of an srm-drone for heavier mechs using them as a cover.

Altogether - a very different approach to what I was used to. I am learning it now and slowly getting the hang of it on maps with a lot of ridges and rocks - like Tourmaline Dessert, Grim Plexus, Caustic Valley, Canyon Network and Frozen City and Forest Colony. City maps are hard but then sadly I am just not very good at driving through the narrow city streets where everything lags and merges so much on my old computer.
What I do not understand at all is how to play Jenners on Alpine Peaks or HPG. On the Peaks engagements more often then not take place in the open and a lot more ppl try to snipe the hell out of each other and you. On the moon it should be much easier, but somehow it's not... all those pillars and walls serve as a very poor cover and the map is altogether too small and traversable, so any engagement you start is likely to attract more attention - LRMs and PPCs that one a light mech would want. Advise would be appreaciated... Posted Image

Edited by Sandra McCrow, 06 March 2017 - 10:27 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users