#1 YakkSlapper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • Locationoregon city

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:19 AM

o.k. there is NO COMPREHENSIVE GUIDE! dont waste time looking for it,,

Instead here is a few things you need to know (my opinion).

1ST!!!! and very important, ***THIS IS NOT A FPS GAME like your used to, no insta gib, no one hit kills(unless they were already damaged to begin with n u got LUCKY with 1st shot you threw at it,) so no "lets just run around like mad and spam blindly" there is way more 'thinking on the fly' here then other games,

BEFORE YOU BUY ANYTHING AT ALL!!!!!!!! (this is important to help you get started/bank going)

your 1st what? 20 or 25 matches are 'recruit bonus pay' you will recieve hier end of round pay.
SAVE IT ALL!!!!!! SAVEIT SAVE IT SAAAAAAVE EET!!!!

there is a reason, as you get 'free use / trial mechs' you only need to get used to the game and how it plays/works you DO NOT NEED to waste your c-bills (game money/drop loot) after you do all your recruit runs, you will (if you did average for a noob with a little feel for games like this) you should have around 12 MILLION or more c-bills (been years sence i was recruit/noob some will say i still am, w/e to them,) this is for YOU not them pros.

so now, if you did even mediocre you should have enough c-bills to buy most any 'stock mech' up to and including an ATLAS, yet still just use the trials at this point, untill you get a idea of how the diff class and chassis 'work'

so IF your after an assault class you can now purchase your 1st atlas or most any other NON HERO/CHAMPION your tastes in rigs is up to YOU, i wont say go get this or that, ask around in forums or look in them, many many many MANY others have asked everything your thinking of asking most likely, read through others requests for help and see what applies to you, or what others have suggested for 'new players' to use, but with around 12 million+ you can get most anymech,

this is THE MOST important advice i can give any 'fresh meat' and thats YOU bubba,

the secondmost important thing you NEED to know, is that YOUS SHOTS CAN KILL YOUR OWN TEAM MATES!!!!! be sure to NOT shoot own team (blue it YOUR team red is other team, you will NEVER be on 'red' team except to 'them' so DO NOT SHOOT OWN TEAM MATES, you will be penalised and heavely so if u kill own mates, (remember your around 12 million gained after recrut bonuses? dont blow through it killing own team)

3rd, dont go solo, only pro's should play rambo/leroy jenkins, YOU, will just die to said 'pros'

4th, like any other game, TROLLS and try hards abound, so do NOT FEAR ASKING about what u dont know, by asking, your trying to improve yourself/play results not one damned thing wrong with that, and to hell with dem trolls(you cant fault someone for not knowing, you CAN fault them for not asking)

now why is the 1st thing so important? to get 'the jump' on your bank n resources, i did NOT know this when i started, playd, messed up, said screw it, made a second account with the gained knowledge from the 1st account, SAVED every c-bill, and after recrut status was gone, i was in my shiney new ATLAS, WITH modifications to its 'stock' build,

one last thing, and this is only for simplicity's sake for now just try to use 2 weapon groups (thats GROUPS not 2 weapons or 2 types of weapons, but weapons grouping, no need over load your self with advanced warfare techniques n tricks, keep it simple so YOU can have better controll and awarness of the game, not looking for this one specific weapon group button, just keep it to right/left click for a while (during recruit status at least) AFTER your used to how to controll your unit/mech then try adjusting your weapon groupings.

see you in my cross-hairs,
Yakkslapper. (yes, guildwars name reference)

#2 M X Striker

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 114 posts
  • LocationAwesome, USA

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:47 AM

Nice post, but I'd also add that they can gain an additional wad of Cbills by simply completing the Mechwarrior Academy. That should leave them with plenty of Cbills for whatever mech they feel drawn to. I'll leave mech recommendations to the other threads that are dedicated to that. Good Luck!

Edited by M X Striker, 16 December 2015 - 10:48 AM.

#3 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:50 AM

there is also a 5 million cbill reward for completing the tutorial, that + your first 25 game 12 million + 2 million real earnings from about 25 games and you should have about 19 million, enough to buy and outfit almost any 1 Mech, or if you go for something like the Hunchback you can buy and outfit 3 for that

#4 Repasy Cooper

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 1,131 posts
  • LocationAlpheratz

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

All new players should first dive into the Tutorial zone and attempt to complete some of the challenges. We never had that tutorial when we started out, but I still use that zone despite being a veteran player.

The second piece of advice I would give is try to find someone that can give you tips on mechs, weapons, firing groups, and common strat/tacops. Joining a unit is usually a good idea in this regard, but you can ask random friendly people too (such as myself).

Personally, I think the OP of this thread was a bit condescending to new players... they are not babies YakkSlapper, they are most likely just as smart as you!

#5 YakkSlapper

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 175 posts
  • Locationoregon city

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:02 AM

View PostM X Striker, on 16 December 2015 - 10:47 AM, said:

Nice post, but I'd also add that they can gain an additional wad of Cbills by simply completing the Mechwarrior Academy. That should leave them with plenty of Cbills for whatever mech they feel drawn to. I'll leave mech recommendations to the other threads that are dedicated to that. Good Luck!

lol didnt know about the tutorial bonuses, thats new, and i didnt 'backtrack' to do it when came out,, so yes, thats good to know too,

"you still paying attention meats?" good advice he gave!

but still, lets keep it simple, lets let em get there feet wet befor we overload them with every little trick in the book, lol but again YES do the tutorials like he said, every c-bill counts when your swapping engines as they run the second highest price tag in game besides chassis (engines run from cheap, few mil to 8-9+MILLION) yah thats rough numbers not exacta but you meats get the idea, (we hope)

and speaking of said trolls, was NOT condescending, u have your humor, i have mine,
but your comment?

Edited by YakkSlapper, 16 December 2015 - 11:14 AM.

#6 Bud Crue

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 9,913 posts
  • LocationOn the farm in central Minnesota

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:10 AM

My two cents worth of advice:

In addition to and in emphasis of what is stated above: use your academy and first 25 match monies wisely. There is no such thing as a best mech in MWO, but rather a best mech for your play style. Learn your play style, and play with a variety of trial mechs. Don't let your recollection of old MW2 titles color your opinions here (i.e. bigger is not necessarily better in MWO).

Use the forums and other sources (metamechs, etc.) as tentative guides. To that end go to the CW area of the forums and look at units threads. No you do not need to join a unit nor play CW, but if you go onto various units Teamspeak, VOX or whatever game speak service they use you can get to know some folks and ask your questions. Most units welcome this sort of thing. Contact info for a lot of the units is available here.

Also, while there is no complete all encompassing guide there are lots of tutorial videos and websites that are available both here and out on the internet at large that will help guide you (google: MWO and your question/issue).

Lastly, if you are interested in where all of this started and/or what the lore of mechwarrior and battletech is all about go check out Sarna.net.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 16 December 2015 - 12:34 PM

View PostYakkSlapper, on 16 December 2015 - 11:02 AM, said:

YES do the tutorials like he said, every c-bill counts when your swapping engines as they run the second highest price tag in game besides chassis (engines run from cheap, few mil to 8-9+MILLION) yah thats rough numbers not exacta

I am pretty sure the XL400 is the most expensive single item available for cbills which is not a Mech and that is 6.53 million, but yes engines, especially large XL engines are expensive, so do not sell them

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users