Me And Psr

14 replies to this topic

#1 SWANN

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:35 PM

Hello MWO forums. So, I've been playing intermittently since release a while back, but never consistently so I'm still pretty much a newb. I got back into MWO with the steam release and I've been enjoying it quite a bit, even better, with the new influx of players I was scoring better than ever! UNTILLLLL I hit tier 3.

For a bit of context I pilot Storm Crows and run their stock loadouts - Prime and SCR-B - I've unlocked all their basic skills but I'm still grinding out the last 4-5 mil for my third (no premium time or champion mechs). In tier 4 an average game was anywhere between 300 and 450 damage, an exceptional game was anywhere between 5 and 800. Not sure if those numbers are even good.

I have noticed though, a lot of people calling me out in spec for playing poorly or just saying "wtf" and since it's happened 3 or 4 times, I'm assuming the problem is me and not just a salty player base.

My average damage per game has probably fallen to about 100-200 (damage seems like the best metric, I guess), which is pretty turrible. I know it's kind of a tough question to answer w/o seeing me play, but are there are any tips or general awareness things I could utilize to improve my game? I'm doing just well enough not to get tossed back down a tier but I'd like to at least play a competent game if not a good one!

Edited by SWANN, 16 December 2015 - 03:35 PM.

#2 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:43 PM

Without seeing you in a match:
Positioning is key. It doesn't matter how good of a shot you are or how fast your reflexes are, if you aren't keeping track of your position relative to the fight you're going to get stranded and wrecked before you can deal any real damage. Always keep an eye on your minimap to make sure you've got a good deal of blue around you.

#3 SWANN

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 57 posts
  • LocationCANADA

Posted 16 December 2015 - 03:56 PM

I did notice that the games have become more dynamic, everyone is trying to flank constantly. I think I am not moving quick enough and getting caught out in the open by the flanking enemy. Another issue I'm having is that everyone seems to hit so much harder than in T4. I'm guessing that's because more people are min/maxing and fewer using stock load outs. Is there anything you can do with Clan mechs to make them a bit more resilient? I know they are less customizable than IS mechs but I've never really cared to get into the customization.

#4 Morggo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 670 posts
  • LocationCharlotte, NC, USA

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:01 PM

Are there certain maps you perform better or worse on generally? Could be indicative of the style of play you do better at vs. others maybe? For example, do you do better in the city maps, with lots of cover and buildings to peek and poke? Do you do better on wide, open maps with room to maneuver?

Not sure there's anything to it, but thought I'd look for patterns. :)

(my personal absolute worst in any mech, any weight, anything, is frozen city... it's just the right mix of open, cover, and terrain that I have never done well on it... my map win ration is like .1 on it... tighter maps like the river city I'm positive.. very tight maps like the Bog I am mediocre.) *shrugs*

#5 EmperorMyrf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 740 posts
  • LocationMinnesota, USA

Posted 16 December 2015 - 04:09 PM

Yea there's a good handful of flanking and maneuvering. I always try to make sure I'm not exposed or overextended on the outermost edge of the friendly "blob" as you can ganged up on much easier. The fact that you're in a SCR is good at least, they're pretty quick so you'll be able to re-adjust with no issue should you find yourself in that situation.

As far as increasing your survivability there's only so much armor you can put on, so to further increase your lifespan you need to get good at torso twisting to spread damage. Every time you take damage make sure you take a glance at your paperdoll and remember which sides of you are hurting the least, so you can face those towards anyone trying to get some shots on you. Also, as a clanner, you're stuck with lasers with longer beam times so it may be worth the extra tonnage to upgrade to pulse lasers to minimize the amount of time you have to stare at your targets.

#6 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:42 PM

As others have said, it's hard to say what there might be about the way you play that people are reacting to. Some general thoughts though (apologies -- this will probably be long!):

The Prime has ERLL, which have a long burn time. If you're not able to hold them on your target for most/all of the beam duration, then you're going to do minimal damage. If you're trying to play as a sniper and you're not able to hold the lasers on target AND you're a long way from the rest of your team, the more vocal players might complain. In the solo queue, playing as a dedicated sniper is fairly difficult (IMO) as you have to have good map knowledge and a good understanding of where the fight will take place and how it will progress, as well as the mechanical skills to aim etc.

If you're not using the range advantage they have i.e. If you're mostly fighting inside ERML range, then you might consider swapping the ERLLs for large pulse lasers. They have shorter range but MUCH shorter beam duration, which makes it easier to apply all of their damage to a target, or (ideally) to a single component of a target. Customising your mech will cost Cbills, particularly as a new player when you don't have a stockpile of weapons to swap in, but might be worth it. More on that shortly.

The stock SCR-B has six ERML in the right arm. The B right arm omnipods has negative quirks for beam duration, so similarly to the ERLL in the prime (although to a lesser extent) if you aren't able to hold them in your target you're going to miss out on a lot of damage. Firing all of them at once is also going to generate a LOT of heat: are you shutting down in combat a lot? There is the option to chain fire, but in general, you're better off using group fire as it concentrates your damage.

THREE QUICK TIPS

1. I'm going to link to builds on a website called Smurfy's, which you may already have come across. If you can, always experiment with builds on Smurfy before you start making changes in the real in game Mechlab. You can do all of the same things you can do in the game, with no risk of accidentally spending your cbills. You can also make a build, generate a link and post it here in the forums to ask others what they think -- particularly here in the new player section, people will be happy to discuss your build and how well it's likely to work/what the drawbacks might be!

2. Strip your mechs of equipment (not armour!) when you're not using them. Re-using the weapons (and engines, for non-omnimechs) from the mechs you're not playing right now in the mechs you ARE playing can be a very useful way to reduce expenditure, particularly early on. Even now, after a more than years' play and with many many (many!) mechs and items of equipment purchased, I strip the mechs I'm not using of components.

3. Don't sell anything! You only get half the value -- its generally better to hang on to "spares" unless you've got waaaay more of them than you'll ever need.

BUILDS

One thing you might consider is customising the builds of your prime and your B. To keep costs to a minimum, I'm going to suggest some tweaks that don't require you to purchase new omnipods.

Here are the builds: SCR-PRIME 2LPL 3ERML and SCR-B UAC20 4ERML

For the prime, I've replaced the ERLL with LPL, removing a couple of heat sinks. This *does* make it hotter, and if you struggle with it, you could remove the head ERML and add an extra heatsink (SCR-PRIME 2LPL 2ERML). In general, you fire only the LPLs when your target is between 700m and 400m. Once a target around 400m or less, you can also include the ERMLs if you have the heat capacity available. Configuring the Prime like this should cost 700,000 Cbills (the cost of two large pulse lasers).

Group your weapons so you have the LPLs in one weapon group and the ERMLs in another. If you're playing with armlock disabled then you might consider a third weapon group with the two arm-mounted ERMLs assigned to it.

For the SCR-B, I've removed two of the ERML to leave four. Again, this will still be hot (although not as hot as the stock loadout) and you could consider removing another ERML and adding a heatsink (SCR-B UAC20 3ERML). I also moved the ammo to the cannon arm and the head (headshots are relatively rare). If you find you're surviving long enough to run out of ammo regularly, then you could sacrifice a heatsink for another ton of ammo, but I'd start low and add more ammo rather than the other way round.

If you configure the Prime first, you should have heatsinks in your inventory so the changes to the B won't cost any Cbills.

For both variants, I redistributed the armour a little. Generally speaking, armour should be front-loaded, as most of the time, you'll be facing (or at worst side-on to) the people shooting at you. Experienced players would probably strip more armour from the rear side and centre torso but I've been quite conservative here.

GENERAL

Sheesh, this is an essay. Sorry again. Quick tips:
  • The Stormcrow is fast and fairly nimble, so use your speed to reposition as needed, whether to stick with your team or just to get out of sight for a second to cool off
  • Torso twist! The Stormcrow has a wide torso twist range, which means you can be running for cover and still look and fire to one side; it also means you can twist to spread damage across different sections of your mech -- just be careful not to over-twist and give your enemies a free back shot.
  • You might see people referring to the Stormcrow as one of the best, if not the best medium mechs. That might be true, but it doesn't make it immortal.
  • If you're having trouble keeping your lasers on target, try turning down the mouse sensitivity in the settings.
Right. Wall of text ends Posted Image

Edited by Ano, 16 December 2015 - 10:46 PM.

#7 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,888 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:56 PM

• The stock builds for the Stormcrows aren't necessarily optimized, so that is an area you can improve - the poster above gave you some good starting points to tweak them.
  • I've put together a couple of guides to help people cooperate with the team even in the absence of voice communication. They're in my signature.
  • As people recommended above, tweak your mouse sensitivity. Lower is more accurate, so you do not want it to be very high (and any acceleration needs to be off.) In general, the lower you can set your mouse sensitivity without impacting your response time, the better.
  • Make sure that your framerate is adequate. MWO can run on a wide range of systems, but it does not like some hardware configurations. Hit F9 and see if your framerate drops when lots of things are happening on-screen - if yes, reduce your settings. The Hardware Forums have tons of people that can help you out with that should you need it.
  • Don't listen too much to people being frustrated with you unless they have something constructive to say. Some people are overly critical for a variety of reasons; it could be anything from the Dunning-Kruger Effect to not realizing that host-state rewind does not propagate to spectators (so what they see is delayed by lag from what you actually did and saw.)

#8 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 16 December 2015 - 11:11 PM

View PostSWANN, on 16 December 2015 - 03:56 PM, said:

... Another issue I'm having is that everyone seems to hit so much harder than in T4. I'm guessing that's because more people are min/maxing and fewer using stock load outs. Is there anything you can do with Clan mechs to make them a bit more resilient? I know they are less customizable than IS mechs but I've never really cared to get into the customization.

Stock loadouts, in general, are bad. Part of it is yes, people are using customised loadouts, but more likely, once you hit Tier 3, you suddenly start facing T1 players as well. These people know how to aim - they have their mouse sensitivity set really low and they can core out your CT or your XL if you aren't an expert at evasive maneuvers. So you'll have to counter that.

1. never stand still, ever. Always be a moving target. A stationary you is a dead you.

2. don't stare at your enemy. Fire as many weapons as you can as quickly as you can, and then immediately twist your mech away from the enemy so that they can't hit you in your juicy parts. They want to hit you in the CT and kill you quick, you need to make their job more difficult by making yourself a moving twisting target.

3. frontload your armour. This is the stock loadout for the SCR-Prime that you said you run. It has 50 points of armour on the front CT, which is where most people are aiming. It only has 34 points of armour on the side torsos, where you'll also take a lot of damage. Instead, remove your rear armour and put it on the front where you need it. Like this. You now have 67 points of armour on the front CT, where it matters. Through careful positioning, you can ensure that no enemies ever shoot you in the back. Always give them your armour and try to spend every point of armour on your mech before going down by torso twisting and forcing the enemy to shoot your arms and sides. Also, playing smart such that you get opportunities to shoot the enemy without them returning fire is also always good...

4. Loadouts.

The stock loadout on your SCR-Prime has two cERLL. These weapons are hot and have a very long burn time - they're very inefficient but they're good for one thing: super long range. Most of your fighting in Quick Play will never occur at that super long range, so the cERLL are doing you no good. For that reason, I use this load: 1x cLPL + 4x cERML. These weapons all have synergy with each other and they're mounted mostly on the left side of my mech so I could also twist to the left and give the enemy my right side as a shield when I need to. Use the SCR-C omnipods for the side torso energy hardpoints.

The stock loadout on your SCR-B has a UAC/20, which is kinda hot and is suited to close range brawling. It also has six cERML which are very hot and suited to mid-long range poking. They're also all on your right arm, so they're vulnerable to being torn off very easily and they're kinda low mounted so not very well-suited to poking. Instead of using cERML, try using cERSL. They run a lot cooler and they synergise much better with your UAC/20 so you can get in and brawl without overheating so quickly. Another option, this time with cSPL, is to use your head and side torso omnipods to mount energy weapons in them, so that not all of your lasers are in the easily lost right arm. Also keep in mind how I changed the armour distribution and added some more ammo.

5. Knowledge of the maps. Most people have the spawns memorised and they know where you're going to be for the first two or more minute of the match. If you're the type of person that doesn't have this knowledge, you could find yourself wandering into a bee's nest early in a match without realising what you did wrong. One thing you can do is make a conscious effort to go the same direction every time you start on a given map, and keep in mind how many times it has worked or hasn't worked. If you start off a match by going a certain direction and immediate get hopped on by an entire enemy lance... you'll know not to ever go there again at the start of a match. =P

#9 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:06 AM

there is no magic secret to durability, just twist with the damage to defend vulnerable components, the Stormcrow has excellent hitboxes even walking slowly makes the Mech automatically spread some damage, this is a problem because it means people who learn on the Stormcrow will usualy be slow to learn proper twisting, what you need to do is fire then twist away so your CT is not taking damage, then twist back, fire and twist the other way (unless you have a shield arm/side which you would prefer to loose

looking over the SCR-Prime and SCR-B their stock loadouts are not that bad,

the B seems to be configured as a brawler with the AC20 and ERMLs but it runs too hot for my tastes so consider swapping the ERMLs for ERSLs or just remove a few to add 1-2 more tones of AC20 ammo or more heatsinks

as for the Prime, I would suggest rearranging the arm weapons to have both ERLL in the same arm, so you can leave one side of the Mech in cover and still use both ERLLs

as for why you are having trouble that is almost definitely that you have gone up a tier thus the average opponent will be tougher, if you are having trouble in T3 you will drop back to t4, and there is no shame in that (despite what a small percentage of the people in t1 and t2 seem to think), after all the whole reason the tier system exists is to make fairer matches.

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 18 December 2015 - 03:57 AM.

#10 BeaverOnFire

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:12 AM

Wow, you really got some good tips. The only thing i would like to add is that withou seeing you it´s hard to tell what your issues are.
If you like you can add me ingame as a friend and we can make 1 or 2 drops together and i can give you a little feedback afterwards. I will be online this weekend, feel free to contact me ingame.:)

#11 VATER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 156 posts
  • LocationEYE OF TERROR

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:03 PM

I think one of the major issues with new/fairly new players getting into the higher Tiers is the situational awareness. While being in the lower Tiers might not require a high amount of Situational Awareness (I just guess, since I never experienced T5) in the higher Tiers Situational Awareness is as important as being able to get your shots in where they count.

Just my thoughts...

#12 Void Angel

• The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,888 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:26 PM

One of my unit's members was seeded into Tier5, but has experience with Mehwarrior games. He recounts that almost no one in his matches torso twists, crippling their survivability and getting them all CT cored every death. =) He's... having fun.

#13 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:58 AM

I think a lot of it has to do with the skill curve.

I did not notice a practical difference in solo matches when I was t5 and 4.
I could be paying half attention and crack a 1000dmg easy.

Then came tier three..
I feel like a hero if I can hit over 700 now, and getting dropped from a single mistake and doing less than 100 dmg is not rare.

I don't want to say the PSR is broken, but I think it's pretty crude at best. It's a move in the right direction.
Dominating green pilots gets old pretty quick buy does feeling like a total rookie yourself.

#14 BeaverOnFire

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:46 AM

View PostVoid Angel, on 17 December 2015 - 08:26 PM, said:

One of my unit's members was seeded into Tier5, but has experience with Mehwarrior games. He recounts that almost no one in his matches torso twists, crippling their survivability and getting them all CT cored every death. =) He's... having fun.

Tbh, if you are a decent player it takes you 1(!) game to get out of tier 5. After three games i was tier 3 with my alt account. So maybe your team member should come here and join us at the new players section to get some tipps :P

#15 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 18 December 2015 - 02:14 PM

View PostBeaverOnFire, on 18 December 2015 - 09:46 AM, said:

Tbh, if you are a decent player it takes you 1(!) game to get out of tier 5. After three games i was tier 3 with my alt account. So maybe your team member should come here and join us at the new players section to get some tipps Posted Image

if you are a decent player on a new account perhaps, new accounts get a multiplier for the first few matches but with 6 kills, 4 assists, 900 damage, 522 match score and a win my t4 EXP bar moved 3 pixels

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 18 December 2015 - 02:16 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users