Silken Presents: Clan Vs. Is

115 replies to this topic

#1 TheSilken

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,492 posts
  • LocationLost in The Warp

Posted 17 December 2015 - 01:47 AM

Well since the LRM vs Meta event of mine unexpectedly gained a lot of attention from the community (currently at ~ 4,500 views), and some people expressed interest in having another one but with the focus being on the balance between IS and Clan mechs, I decided why not let's try this again. Now just to be clear this event is not planned out as of right now, the point of this thread is to see if the community would be interested in participating/watching something like this in the near future. If not enough interest is expressed for it then I will not waste my time working on this. However, if for some reason a fairly large amount people actually seem excited about this I will put as much effort into it as is required to make it enjoyable for mostly everyone.

Assuming that the above happens the event will have two parts to it (being ambitious here) with Part 1 being standard IS vs Clan and Part 2 being Originals vs IICs (only IIC mechs and their Original versions allowed). The format of the event will mostly likely consist of 5 rounds of 8v8 combat with teams being populated (again) by top tier / near top tier players. As for restrictions they are still being worked over in my head but there will almost certainly be a 2/2/2/2 weight class system put in place. Both parts will use the same format and (as of now) restrictions.

Now, the question you may be asking is why only top tier / near top tier players? The answer is simple: team standards/balance and teaching opportunities. It is much easier to balance teams when everyone participating knows the relative skill level of everyone else in addition to themselves. It also cuts down on potential seal clubbing that can happen (even if teams are balanced) when part of a team is drastically lower skill than the rest. Lastly, I feel that it will be a better comparison of the tech bases in addition to being more exciting to watch personally than a bunch of less capable pilots slugging it out.

Ok now on to dates/schedules. I feel like a good rough estimate to give you guys (assuming the event actually happens) is late January. That way everyone can enjoy the holidays, I have plenty of time to get everything ironed out and set up correctly, and it gives us something fun to do in one of the most boring months imo. Whatever date is set will be the one for Part 1. Part 2 will take place 1 week later or the week after that depending on availability of players.

This post will be updated as things fall into place.

Update Log:

Jan 3, 2016:
  • changed format to 6 rounds (teams switch tech after 3 rounds)
  • added solitude, Death Metal, xCico, and Bows3r to player pool
  • Part 2 (IIC vs Originals) scrapped
  • Date set for January 23rd, 2016 (no time yet)
Jan 9, 2016:
  • added Celyth, prtNspz, bear claw, VVonka, Uncle Russ, Mech The Dane, CyberBlade, Forge88, SKINLESS, Vilsen, and LordSkyKnight to player pool
Jan 10, 2016:
  • added additional restriction to rounds (only Alpha and Bravo Lances available for use, no Charlie Lance)
  • added Khornite, OuttaAmmo NoWai, Solahma, and wuCkTEC to player pool
Jan 11, 2016:
  • added Canyon Network, Tourmaline Desert, and Frozen City Night to map section
  • added Aodh, dario03, psichiholic, and McGral18 to player pool
Jan 12, 2016:
  • added Krivvan, Tuann, Cyborx, 1e0n, and xLUPOx to player pool
  • added player arrival, pregame show, and starting times to schedule
Jan 13, 2016:
  • Teams chosen, named, and added to tables
  • added PanzerMagier, Areseye Kerensky, and The MechDaddy to player list.
  • added Celyth's twitch stream
Jan 16, 2016:
  • added PanerMagier's twitch stream (if VVonka plays him that is)
______________________________________________________________________________________
-- Additional Info --

- When: Note that times may change (not date) if availability for players is better suited with another one
  • Date: January 23rd, 2016
  • Player arrival: 3*-4** pm EST / 8-9 pm UTC * = preferred time ** = minimum time
  • Pregame Show *: 4 pm EST / 9 pm UTC (optional / up to BanditB17)
  • Event start: 5 pm EST / 10 pm UTC
- Where:
  • Main Streamers: ts3server://mwots3.com?port=9095&channel=IS%20vs%20Clan%20Commentator%20Booth
  • T.M.H: ts3server://mwots3.com?port=9095&channel=Team%20%22Tripping%20Marsh%20Hackers%22%20HQ
  • H.O.A: ts3server://mwots3.com?port=9095&channel=Team%20%22Huge%20Orange%20Afrostars%22%20HQ
  • Players waiting/Non-players: ts3server://mwots3.com?port=9095&channel=IS%20vs%20Clan%20Lobby
- Format:
  • 8 vs 8 fights
  • 6 rounds, all played (teams switch tech base after 3 rounds)
  • 15 minute rounds
  • Conquest game mode
- Restrictions:
  • 2/2/2/2 weight class system (must take 2 of each)
  • only Alpha and Bravo Lances are allowed for use, no Charlie Lance
  • Assaults/Heavies in Bravo Lance, Lights/Meds in Alpha Lance
  • no strikes allowed
  • only cap point Theta is allowed to be captured, breach of this rule is immediate 8-0 loss.
  • Clans use Team 1 spawns, IS uses Team 2 spawns
  • IIC mechs are allowed
- Maps:
  • Canyon Network
  • Tourmaline Desert
  • Frozen City Night
  • Canyon Network
  • Tourmaline Desert
  • Frozen City Night
- Reddit Post: https://www.reddit.c...3rd_of_january/
_______________________________________________________________________________________

-- Twitch Streaming / Recording Info --

- Spectators:
  • BanditB17
  • mdmzero0
  • TheSilken * (backup if needed)
* = will get slot if no other streamer/recorder is available

- Twitch Links: ______________________________________________________________________________________

-- Team / Player Info --

- Tripping Marsh Hackers (IS rounds 1-3, Clan 4-6) -
MemberUnit TagAvailability
VVonka (team captain)[S RS]
Proton[EmP]
s o l i t u d e[EmP]
xCico[BMMU]
Solahma[BMMU]
Krivvan[SJR]
Aodh[S RS]
1e0nN/A
Cyberblade[BKMx]
bear claw[F-G]
OuttaAmmo NoWai[CSJx]
The MechDaddy?
Uncle Russ[SJR]
Vilsen?
PanzerMagier[ISRC]?

- Huge Orange Afrostars (Clan rounds 1-3, IS 4-6) -
MemberUnit TagAvailability
Celyth (team captain)[EmP]
Psichiholic[LORD]
WuckTEC[LORD]
Bows3r[BKMx]
Khornite[SJR]
Dario03[CSJx]
SKINLESSN/A
Areseye[SJR]
TheSilken *[BKMx]
Death Metal[CSJx]
Cyborx[LORD]
LordSkyKnight[S RS]
McGral18[-SA-]
xLUPOx[ITx]
Tuann[BMMU]

-- Player Pool --
Player NameUnit TagAvailability
s o l i t u d e[EmP]
Death Metal[CSJx]?
xCico[BMMU]
Bows3r[BKMx]
Celyth[EmP]
prtNspz[EmP]?
LordSkyKnight[S RS]
bear claw[F-G]
VVonka[S RS]?
Uncle Russ[SJR]
Mech The Dane[ISEN]
CyberBlade[BKMx]?
Forge88[BKMx]?
S K I N L E S SN/A
Vilsen?
Khornite[SJR]
OuttaAmmo NoWai[CSJx]
wuCkTEC[LORD]?
Solahma[BMMU]?
Aodh[S RS]
McGral18[-SA-]
dario03[CSJx]?
psichiholic[LORD]
Krivvan[SJR]
xLUPOx[ITx]
Tuann[BMMU]
Cyborx[LORD]
1e0nN/A

______________________________________________________________________________________

-- Round / Match Results --

Round / MapWinnersStat
1: Canyon Network
2: Tourmaline Desert
3: Frozen City Night
4: Canyon Network
5: Tourmaline Desert
6: Frozen City Night

Edited by TheSilken, 21 January 2016 - 08:16 AM.

#2 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:15 PM

Question: is there any way to have the teams "swap mechs" (so each team plays X matches in IS mechs and X matches in clan) or would doing that make the event take too much time?

#3 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:40 PM

View PostAno, on 17 December 2015 - 12:15 PM, said:

Question: is there any way to have the teams "swap mechs" (so each team plays X matches in IS mechs and X matches in clan) or would doing that make the event take too much time?

I like this idea. Maybe make it 6 matches instead of 5, and simply have each team play 3 of each side. Then you still have a type of best of odd number of matches system to help compare, but also eliminate particular skills and comforts from the equation a bit more.

#4 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 12:49 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 17 December 2015 - 12:40 PM, said:

I like this idea. Maybe make it 6 matches instead of 5, and simply have each team play 3 of each side. Then you still have a type of best of odd number of matches system to help compare, but also eliminate particular skills and comforts from the equation a bit more.

That is not a bad idea. Then just repeat the same set of maps over again. I was also considering maybe restricting range brackets on specific maps in Part 1 (for example only weapons with 600m+ optimal range on Alpine etc) so that we can see how the tech bases perform against each other in certain scenarios/roles. Just a thought

#5 Ano

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 637 posts
  • LocationLondon

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:44 AM

It would hopefully minimise any 'but team X were better than team Y'-type arguments, and actually I don't think you need an odd number of matches (to ensure there's a winner) if the goal is to explore clan/IS balance. I'll be intrigued to see how it plays out, whatever the mechanics end up being -- tvm for organising.

Edited by Ano, 18 December 2015 - 07:45 AM.

#6 xWiredx

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:57 AM

View PostTheSilken, on 17 December 2015 - 12:49 PM, said:

That is not a bad idea. Then just repeat the same set of maps over again. I was also considering maybe restricting range brackets on specific maps in Part 1 (for example only weapons with 600m+ optimal range on Alpine etc) so that we can see how the tech bases perform against each other in certain scenarios/roles. Just a thought

Well, you can make the heat comparison with an IS medium laser vs clan small laser if you keep in the 200m or less range. You can make a range comparison with an IS large laser and clan medium laser. You can test general effectiveness of ballistics with UAC5s of course. Maybe specific loadouts can be two matches, one match for each team on each side. I'd like to see a match testing quirk 'abuse' too (which is harder to do I guess, since clan quirks are generally negative and there aren't many popular builds around them like there is with IS mechs).

Maybe you could even do a match testing only trials against each other to see if maybe at stock these things really are balanced and if it's player optimization that throws it off.

#7 old man odin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 270 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:51 AM

Yeah, swapping sides is the best way to ensure the outcome isn't just from an unintentionally stacked team.

#8 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:50 AM

Yea I don't see this event picking up any time soon. If enough people still wanna do something stupid I will be down for it but I'm not gonna spend the time/effort that I did on the last one for this.

Edit: Is interesting considering that this is imo more relevant/debated than the LRM one. Oh well. Happy holidays everyone. xD

Edited by TheSilken, 23 December 2015 - 08:51 AM.

#9 Tarogato

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,558 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:00 AM

I'd love to see it. But this should definitely not be an IS team vs Clan team. It should be two carefully balanced teams that swap roles evenly.

#10 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:10 AM

View PostTarogato, on 23 December 2015 - 09:00 AM, said:

I'd love to see it. But this should definitely not be an IS team vs Clan team. It should be two carefully balanced teams that swap roles evenly.

Already agreed on that. Let me make the changes though so people stop saying that lol.

#11 habu86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 10:34 AM

I think this is a really good idea, but I think you might need to wait until after the holiday season to put it into practice. I suspect that a lot of the playerbase will have a lot of RL commitments in the next couple of weeks.

#12 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 01:09 PM

View Posthabu86, on 23 December 2015 - 10:34 AM, said:

I think this is a really good idea, but I think you might need to wait until after the holiday season to put it into practice. I suspect that a lot of the playerbase will have a lot of RL commitments in the next couple of weeks.

That'a why I said late January.

#13 habu86

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 248 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

View PostTheSilken, on 23 December 2015 - 01:09 PM, said:

That'a why I said late January.

Ah, missed that part. My bad. Still, with holidays coming up and whatnot, people might just have too many things on their minds right now to make any commitments for more than a month out.

#14 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationPeeking over your shoulder while eating your cookies.

Posted 23 December 2015 - 04:24 PM

Hey Silken, I'm interested in this and might be able to put together an 8-Man for it. I could also stream it; want me to see if my Unit's interested? We've got Clan and IS and some of us have the IICs.

#15 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 06:32 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 23 December 2015 - 04:24 PM, said:

Hey Silken, I'm interested in this and might be able to put together an 8-Man for it. I could also stream it; want me to see if my Unit's interested? We've got Clan and IS and some of us have the IICs.

I'm mostly looking to see in this thread if enough people would be interested in watching something like this. I will track down the players I want to fill the teams. Although I do appreciate the offer and will keep it in mind when I start recruiting.

#16 Mcgral18

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • CS 2019 Top 8 Qualifier
  • 17,987 posts
  • LocationSnow

Posted 23 December 2015 - 07:03 PM

My game is working again! (avast was the issue)

Schedule however may affect availability. TBD, of course.

#17 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 08:13 PM

View PostTheSilken, on 23 December 2015 - 06:32 PM, said:

I'm mostly looking to see in this thread if enough people would be interested in watching something like this. I will track down the players I want to fill the teams. Although I do appreciate the offer and will keep it in mind when I start recruiting.

Roger that!

I gave you those vids from that test I helped you with a while back, right?

#18 TheSilken

• 1,492 posts

Posted 23 December 2015 - 09:03 PM

View PostNightmare1, on 23 December 2015 - 08:13 PM, said:

Roger that!

I gave you those vids from that test I helped you with a while back, right?

lol yes I remember that. I will put a * next to your name then lol.

#19 Nightmare1

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 7,636 posts

Posted 24 December 2015 - 08:03 AM

View PostTheSilken, on 23 December 2015 - 09:03 PM, said:

lol yes I remember that. I will put a * next to your name then lol.

*Chuckle* This just jogged my memory is all. I thought I had sent them to you but it's been so long that I couldn't recall! Posted Image

Sounds good though!

Edited by Nightmare1, 24 December 2015 - 08:04 AM.

#20 mikerso

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 367 posts

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:12 PM

View PostOdins Steed, on 19 December 2015 - 08:51 AM, said:

Yeah, swapping sides is the best way to ensure the outcome isn't just from an unintentionally stacked team.

I hope this event comes together, but I am not sure swapping sides is enough. I believe this could use a few requirements that the lrm event had, but with better efficiency.

An example: 2 players both playing mid opt to switch sides, one brings a crow and enforcer. The other brings a shadow cat and bj-1x.
This doesn't actually show if there is a disparity between IS and clans. If you want to find if it is truly pilot skill, or eliminate the chance of it showing up, then everyone will need to be in equal ground on mechs and builds.

13 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 13 guests, 0 anonymous users