30 replies to this topic

#1 Dumpfbacke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:44 PM

Hello fellow Mech-Warriors.

I played the game about a year ago for a very short time, so I am not experienced in any way except done about 60 matches overall.

I now registered a new account to have a clean start and done the tutorial missions and earned some money with the free premium day. Now I am wondering if I:
  • should buy a mech now (have about 20 mil cb atm)
  • play a little more with the trial mechs
  • if to buy one, which.....
I think I narrowed it down to three mechs that for me seem interesting. Timberwolf, Ebon Jaguar and Stormcrow (despite I think I am not that good in medium mechs atm)

Aside from the obvious differences between the Timberwolf and the Ebon Jaguar (weight, loadout, jumpjets) is there any criteria that would help me decide for one of these two?

Atm I earn around 60-80k for a win with doing around 300-500 damage myself. If I consider, that I have to buy 2 more variants of the mech of my choice this would be 26-30 mil. in case of the Timber or the Ebon, is it correct I have to do around 200-300 matches to buy another variant? Seems a bit....extreme to me.

I am considering buying some kind of package for the game, but I want to wait a little, if the game is fun for me in the further run before investing money. And to be honest: I am totally confused by all the packs, variants, hero, champion, bonus, super-duper-deal thingys Posted Image

TL;DR: Need help as a newbie deciding between Timberwolf and Ebon Jag as first mech to buy.

Thanks in advance for the help Posted Image

EDIT: One more question came to my mind after sending this, which I hope someone can answer me:

Is there any notable difference or pro/con between the steam dlcs and buying a pack off the games website? Iam not not deep enough into the game to be able to compare all aspects.

#2 Unreliable Mercenary

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 209 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:53 PM

Folks say the Timber Wolf is amazing.

The packs on the website have a lot more content, the steam ones just give some MC and two mechs a piece from that weight class. They also unlock some paints and colors.

Edited by Owen Miller, 17 December 2015 - 06:54 PM.

#3 Duvanor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:06 PM

Okay, let me see...

Timberwolf is heavier, that means more armor. Speed is the same. The Timberwolf has a jump capable variant, the Ebon Jaguar not, just in case jumping is your thing. Loadouts are roughly equal but the Ebon Jaguar would lack some heatsinks or ammo compared to the same Timberwolf loadouts.

But the Ebon Jaguar has some advantages as well. It has higher arms and some pretty neat torsohardpoints that give you weapons on the back of the Mech. That makes it a superior sniper. You can shoot over cover without exposing more then half your Mech and with the wide arms of the Ebon Jaguar you can peek around corners. Plus the Ebon Jaguar is a bit smaller and harder to hit. If you want to play Faction Warfare you might want the Jaguar because it has less weight and allows for more options in your drop deck.

The packs on the website and on Steam are a matter of taste as well. I would not buy the Steam packs because you get just two Mechs of different types in them while the packs on the homepage give you three variants of the same Mech. It is better to level that way because you need not buy the other variants.

Then again you get more flexibility out of the Steam packs. Two Mechs with 30% C-Bill boost (instead of one if you buy ala carte or one of the single mech packs on the homepage) to help you grind more Mechs and some MCs to get stuff. I would invest the MCs in mechbays in your situation.

Of course this is only my opinion. Make up your mind what you want, compare the packs and then get what you need.

#4 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:13 PM

So, the Timberwolf, or Madcat as it is known in the Inner Sphere, occupies the top end of the heavy weight spectrum, edgeing out the Cauldron Born, or Ebon Jaguar as you know it, in armour whilest maintaining the same speed. Oh and Madcat can jump. If your inna that.

That said, hardpoint and hitbox wise, the Cauldron born is considered superior for profile and hit locations. Leaving aside the utility of 65 tonners in CW, which is considered 'end game' both mechs are occupying the same position in standard match placement.

Do you want more armour and potential for jumpjets, or would you prefer a sleeker design with high-mounted ballistics?

~Leone

#5 VATER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 156 posts
  • LocationEYE OF TERROR

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:25 PM

If I would have to choose inbetween the TBR or the EBJ...I would settle for the TBR. Even though a lot of people seem to think that the high mounted ballistic is an advantage on the Mech, I seriously do not think so.
It gives away a critical weaponlocation and if Snipers aim for it, it is gone for good, including your arm. If you put a Gauss into it, chances are, that the Gauss goes crit and rips your arm off as well.

That being said, the TBR might have a higher profile, but is able to take severe punishment while dishing out damage. It is more agile, has JJs and the lower arms can be moved sideways(if you put actuators in) that give the TBR an edge, that the EBJ lacks. That and the fact, that you are able to run both Mechs with the same loadouts but with the advantage that the TBR still has 10 tons more to bring into the battle and the fact that one variant is able to mount an energy slot into the CT makes the TBR superior.

Just my 2 cents

#6 Duvanor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:37 PM

Jaguars can not have ballistics only in their side torso. 2 large pulse laser or ER PPCs were my weapons of choice, paired with an advanced zoom module. Just saying.

#7 VATER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 156 posts
  • LocationEYE OF TERROR

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:40 PM

View PostDuvanor, on 17 December 2015 - 07:37 PM, said:

Jaguars can not have ballistics only in their side torso. 2 large pulse laser or ER PPCs were my weapons of choice, paired with an advanced zoom module. Just saying.

I do know that, but what better than a huge box telling a Sniper "HUHUH SHOOT ME PLX."

#8 Kali Rinpoche

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 639 posts
  • LocationCrossing, Draconis March

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:42 PM

Just be aware that you're going to have to shell out almost 50million cbills to buy 3. Which will take you a long time without premium time. I'd go ACH if you're not adverse to a light as your 1st, but it's up to you.

Edited by Kali Rinpoche, 17 December 2015 - 07:43 PM.

#9 Dumpfbacke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:44 PM

First of all thanks for the answers. They helped me greatly with my decision and are greatly appreciated.

My thoughts after reading them is:

I think I will buy the steam package with the TBR, so I have two mechs with a 30% CB-Bonus and buy a second TBR variant with my current CBills.
To be honest, the packs on the website are - in my eyes - very expensive and the only way to get a hero variant of the EBJ would be to buy it a la carte for $55 or in a pack for $90 which is too much for me atm considering that I don't know how long I will play the game. (Maybe later, who knows).
Perhaps I didn't find it though I have to admit, but the amount of different mechs and packs including the ones ingame is a little overwhelming to be honest.

As I recon, the price of the EBJ may have to do with the fact it is newer than the TBR?

So as already said, many thanks for your thoughts and tips :)

#10 VATER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 156 posts
  • LocationEYE OF TERROR

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:50 PM

I would always recommend the Hunchback for a new player. I admit, it is buttugly, well not as ugly as the Gargoyle or the walking Dil....ehm Stalker but it is a solid design. The variants out give you lots of possibilities and it is not as costly as some of the other mechs out there....

#11 Duvanor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:53 PM

Keep in mind you will need two Timberwolfs if you buy the Steampack. Like I said, you will get two different Mechs (Timberwolf and Thunderbolt in your case) with one variant each.

#12 Dumpfbacke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:03 PM

View PostDuvanor, on 17 December 2015 - 07:53 PM, said:

Keep in mind you will need two Timberwolfs if you buy the Steampack. Like I said, you will get two different Mechs (Timberwolf and Thunderbolt in your case) with one variant each.

Yes I am aware of that. I would buy a second one right away with my current cbils, so I would have to grind "only" one. That was what I was thinking or did I miss something?

View PostVATER, on 17 December 2015 - 07:50 PM, said:

I would always recommend the Hunchback for a new player. I admit, it is buttugly, well not as ugly as the Gargoyle or the walking Dil....ehm Stalker but it is a solid design. The variants out give you lots of possibilities and it is not as costly as some of the other mechs out there....

I will give the Hunchback a try. Admitted, the IS mechs are way cheaper when buying for cbills, that's a bit tempting ;) And yes....I too think it's ugly.

#13 TheCaptainJZ

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,664 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:10 PM

The Mastery packs available are 50% off their normal MC price of the contents and include 3 variants of one chassis for leveling. They also include 30 days premium time. One of the variants gives a 30% cbill boost, another gives 30% xp (not as useful). I've never bought one but not a bad deal.

The mech packs like Origins are good deals too compared to normal pricing, especially if you buy them for the first month of pre-order for extra goodies. But ultimately, it's up to you how much you are willing to spend. I'd never recommend anyone buy something unless they are committed to it and understand what they are getting.

View PostMightyBadaboom, on 17 December 2015 - 08:03 PM, said:

Yes I am aware of that. I would buy a second one right away with my current cbils, so I would have to grind "only" one. That was what I was thinking or did I miss something?

I will give the Hunchback a try. Admitted, the IS mechs are way cheaper when buying for cbills, that's a bit tempting Posted Image And yes....I too think it's ugly.

IS mechs can cost more than the sticker price when you factor in upgrades, though they vary quite a bit in cost.

#14 Duvanor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:11 PM

Nah, I just was not sure if you meant you would buy one at once and another later or if you thought you just need to buy one more. Better say it one time too often then let you buy something that does not turn out as expected.

If you plan playing in faction warfare soon, skip that Hunchback for now. You have to pick one side in faction warfare and if the Timber will be your main mech you want to get more Clan Mechs first.

If you are just after quick games for now, get the Hunchback. But be aware that the price might be deceiving. Clan Omnimechs cost more to buy but equipping them can be cheaper. Since you probably will not get an XL for a Hunchback you would probably just have to get endo steele and double heat sinks. Nevertheless, equipment and upgrades can have high C-Bill prices.

Edited by Duvanor, 17 December 2015 - 08:14 PM.

#15 VATER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 156 posts
  • LocationEYE OF TERROR

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:20 PM

Well, Duvanor has a point here. If you plan on actively play CW you will have to decide on what side you want to fight, but that being said, as long as you do not become loyalist, you can always change faction. When it comes to the CBill grind I would suggest to stay with the PuG que in the beginning. In CW you will need at least one full deck of 4 Mechs(mastered/fully customized) to even make a difference.

When it comes to fast CBills it is way easier to get into the grind outside CW. Imagine dropping into CW against a full 12 man premade, hungry for kills and damage and not to win fast, that will get you stuck in one game for like 30minutes if you are unlucky. Most of the PuG matches do not last longer than 5-10 minutes due to the fast pace of the game once mechs are dropping.

Just my 2 cents.

#16 Dumpfbacke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:28 PM

View PostVATER, on 17 December 2015 - 08:20 PM, said:

Well, Duvanor has a point here. If you plan on actively play CW you will have to decide on what side you want to fight, but that being said, as long as you do not become loyalist, you can always change faction.

So if I understand this correctly, if I would buy the steam pack, which consists of one clan heavy and an IS one and would become loyalist I wouldn't be able to use the IS one anymore or is that only for CWs?

Oh and btw, I simply don't know if I should plan for CWs, because I just don't know them. But for the moment I will stick to the quick queue because this little padawan here has much to learn and master ;)

Edited by MightyBadaboom, 17 December 2015 - 08:30 PM.

#17 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,579 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:30 PM

If you are looking for C-bill mechs (which is wise), I actually suggest the Crab as a good starter mech. Decent hit boxes. Decent speed. Can get decent weapons... It's my recommended starter mech for everyone now.

Edit: As for the specific... Either one is very good. Ebon Jaguar is a good choice and can fit more gear on it. The Timberwolf can get jump and is better armored... They are each good mechs in their own rights.

Edited by Tesunie, 17 December 2015 - 08:32 PM.

#18 VATER

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 156 posts
  • LocationEYE OF TERROR

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:32 PM

Negative. Loyalist you become, when you pledge your loyalty to a house or clan in CW. That is done ingame, when you choose your faction for CW. You can pledge your loyalty for 7/14/28 days, or you decide to become a loyalist the time contracts are basically what a mercenary would do.

#19 Dumpfbacke

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:45 PM

View PostTesunie, on 17 December 2015 - 08:30 PM, said:

If you are looking for C-bill mechs (which is wise), I actually suggest the Crab as a good starter mech. Decent hit boxes. Decent speed. Can get decent weapons... It's my recommended starter mech for everyone now.

Edit: As for the specific... Either one is very good. Ebon Jaguar is a good choice and can fit more gear on it. The Timberwolf can get jump and is better armored... They are each good mechs in their own rights.

Ok.....slowly my head is spinning. I looked up the Crab-Package, it is $40 so same price as the steam pack with these two heavies. As far as I can tell it consists of 6 mechs, 3 med and 3 light. So that would of course be cheaper, but "nail" me on the IS side and consists of no heavy mechs, correct ?

Ok, I think I will have to play some more with the trial mechs to figure out what I want ;)

#20 Duvanor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 477 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:47 PM

View PostMightyBadaboom, on 17 December 2015 - 08:28 PM, said:

So if I understand this correctly, if I would buy the steam pack, which consists of one clan heavy and an IS one and would become loyalist I wouldn't be able to use the IS one anymore or is that only for CWs?

Oh and btw, I simply don't know if I should plan for CWs, because I just don't know them. But for the moment I will stick to the quick queue because this little padawan here has much to learn and master Posted Image

That is CW only. You can use all your Mechs in quick play.

But I would suggest you pledge loyalty to one faction for seven days to do some drops in CW. It is not hard to get faction rank 2 which opens you a new mechbay for free. Get some decent mechs, fill the other slots of the dropdeck with trials and then just stick with your team. It is not as horrible as people say. Follow orders and you will be able to help. And the CW game modes are actually pretty fun, as long as you do not drop a random PUG against a big premade group. But that does not happen that often, especially if you are attacker, not defender.

View PostMightyBadaboom, on 17 December 2015 - 08:45 PM, said:

Ok.....slowly my head is spinning. I looked up the Crab-Package, it is $40 so same price as the steam pack with these two heavies. As far as I can tell it consists of 6 mechs, 3 med and 3 light. So that would of course be cheaper, but "nail" me on the IS side and consists of no heavy mechs, correct ?

Ok, I think I will have to play some more with the trial mechs to figure out what I want Posted Image

That is about right. The Crab pack brings less premium time and MC, but more Mechs. Two of them give you a bonus on earned C-Bills, just as the Mechs in the Steam pack.

Another option would be the tier 2 Origins pack. Same price, 3 Clan Jenner IIC, 3 Clan Hunchback IIC. Since Clan SRMs are very light, you can build heavy hitting striker Jenners and the Hunch IIC has some nice options as well. I even saw one of them with 2 Gauss today, although I am not quite sure how viable that build is.

Probably you are right. Play some more and make up your mind. Have a look at IS Mech qirks in the mechlab and pay attention how the Mechs and weapons behave in combat, then make your decision.

Edited by Duvanor, 17 December 2015 - 08:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users