36 replies to this topic

#1 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:37 AM

I just want to see how many people are having the same problem. Any GPU/CPU monitoring tool will work. I've used MSI Afterburner with Asus monitoring tool. There seems to be an issue with alot of people having a serious FPS issue, but it seems to be due to coding in the game as far as I can figure out.

The problem is this. When you load into a match and everyone is at the ready screen the GPU will ramp up to anywhere from 75-100% load and show good FPS. As you can see in the first image at the loading screen it is showing 126FPS and 73% load. The same will happen at the end of match.

Posted Image

But... once a match starts and you are playing you can see the GPU usage goes down by quite alot. No more than 35% usage, and 63 FPS. Now these are during quick play drops, but if you are in CW and playing something like Boreal Vault FPS is usually hovering around 30FPS which makes it just playable. The CPU has plenty of room to improve, and since it seems that when the game first loads in the GPU usage ramps up, i'm going to attribute this to poor coding.

Just bringing up the in-game FPS tool using F9 will decrease FPS by nearly 10FPS... I've verified this by running FRAPS in the background and using that as my FPS tool.

I just want to see if anyone else can verify this problem as well.

Posted Image

My videocard is a GTX 770 and have seen this problem on both other AMD and NVidia rigs, CPU doesn't seem to matter really as they never hit full load anyways unless it's a very old system. I've seen people with dual GTX 980's in SLI running a Intel core i7 have this problem as well, and that should not be happening. Lower end video cards don't seem to have the problem though. A GTX 650, 750 and such.

Please post your results as well. Maybe PGI will take some kind of action for this, because if they did fix this, the game would be much more playable for alot of us.

You can check both your video GPU usage and CPU usage using MSI's Afterburner tool which works with both NVidia and AMD cards, it will not cause any issues by having this program running in the background either. It would be great if other people also posted screenshots up when they are at the ready screen and while in game to see if their GPU performance also differs. This would help to have PGI really look into the issue that alot of us are having.

Edited by CwStrife, 18 December 2015 - 01:18 PM.

#2 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:03 AM

MWO is CPU bound on almost all systems. More over, it does not really utilize more than 2 cores, so most modern CPUs are wasted on it. You want high CPU clock speeds over anything else, including a high-end GPU. Your case is no exception, it is the norm.

#3 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:14 AM

View PostModo44, on 18 December 2015 - 06:03 AM, said:

MWO is CPU bound on almost all systems. More over, it does not really utilize more than 2 cores, so most modern CPUs are wasted on it. You want high CPU clock speeds over anything else, including a high-end GPU. Your case is no exception, it is the norm.

Except seems to me as it utilizes 4 cores, not 2. I saw the other day there was an update to CryEngine 3, I wonder if PGI will be implementing this as it is said to have performance increases in it. I'm still thinking it's coding as when the game first loads up GPU usage is all the way up, but then when in-game it no longer is. CPU core utilization changes very little which makes me think it's coding, not a CPU problem. Which is why I posted 2 images. If it was CPU bound and the CPU was maxed then the GPU would never be able to ramp up anyways.

#4 Vlad Grendal

Rookie

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:56 AM

I have also had this problem, slightly different machine specs, same problem all around with frame drops when dropping into a match, where as just before the match starts im running normal frames of 50+. also random frame drops or frame lag when in combat, worse on some maps more than others.

Before

Posted Image

After

Posted Image

Edited by vladic99, 18 December 2015 - 10:00 AM.

#5 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:59 AM

View Postvladic99, on 18 December 2015 - 09:56 AM, said:

I have also had this problem, slightly different machine specs, same problem all around with frame drops when dropping into a match, where as just before the match starts im running normal frames of 50+. also random frame drops or frame lag when in combat, worse on some maps more than others.

Before

Posted Image

After

Posted Image

Yep looks like the exact same problem, and i'm assuming none of your CPU cores is anywhere near 100%

#6 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:18 AM

Yes, CPU and GPU usage vary during the match, when there is dynamic stuff to render. Go figure.

#7 xWiredx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,805 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 11:21 AM

AMD CPUs. AMD CPUs everywhere.

Seriously. Intel users don't really have this problem, especially with higher-clocked chips. Anything Sandy Bridge and beyond does fairly well, but Haswell and Skylake are where it's most comfy.

#8 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:35 PM

View PostxWiredx, on 18 December 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

AMD CPUs. AMD CPUs everywhere.

Seriously. Intel users don't really have this problem, especially with higher-clocked chips. Anything Sandy Bridge and beyond does fairly well, but Haswell and Skylake are where it's most comfy.

You know I keep hearing about the CPU, but i've seen this on an i7 that my buddy has with 2x GTX 980's in SLI... Same exact problem.

And how can you explain that each of the 4 cores of my CPU are never at more than 60% usage. Obviously it cannot be the CPU if it is not anywhere close to 100% on even 1 of the cores. I feel like it's just a cop out saying CPU. I'm thinking there is something more going on

#9 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationThat flattop, up the well, overhead

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:55 PM

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're in the wrong thread, Hoss …

#10 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 December 2015 - 04:47 PM

View PostGoose, on 18 December 2015 - 01:55 PM, said:

Don't take this the wrong way, but you're in the wrong thread, Hoss …

Thanks for that. So it looks like i'm obviously not the only one with this problem or the other people who are just reporting it now. What remains to be seen is if PGI will overhaul things I suppose?

#11 Cipher42

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts
  • LocationWashington DC

Posted 18 December 2015 - 05:02 PM

I have intel i7 and nvidia 980 and don't have this problem.

#12 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:30 PM

… That's all you learned from that forum?

#13 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

View PostGoose, on 18 December 2015 - 06:30 PM, said:

… That's all you learned from that forum?

Goose, it could be something else that the developers hadn't intended that is causing the issue? I'm trying little things here and there but no success yet. It could be the coding or maybe not. Short of actually having a dev look at it all I can do is tinker on my end and hope maybe I find a solution, albeit doubtful though.

Trying to keep my hopes up...

#14 Goose

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 3,463 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

http://mwomercs.com/...ost__p__4667809

#15 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 18 December 2015 - 08:04 PM

View PostGoose, on 18 December 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

Goose, sent u a PM

#16 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:28 AM

View PostxWiredx, on 18 December 2015 - 11:21 AM, said:

Seriously. Intel users don't really have this problem, especially with higher-clocked chips.

Oh, we do. Core i7 4790K, R9 390X, MWO still CPU-bound at 2560x1600. AMD CPUs just suck even more because they keep pushing core numbers for lack of core computing power.

#17 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:35 AM

View PostGoose, on 18 December 2015 - 07:38 PM, said:

Goose I tried this user.cfg file listed. It did enable all 8 cores to work now, but now the load is just even more split up, so now i'm using like 30-40% of 4 cores, and like 15% of the other 4... GPU usage remains the same, I even increase the frame limit to 80FPS... but some thing. GPU is stuck around 40% or so. It will dip down to 30FPS like before although it does seem to be a little more smooth. Not sure what exactly the config file did minus enabling the other cores...

#18 CwStrife

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 247 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:27 AM

So I found a way to utilize 100% of the GPU. I have to use either MSAA or TXAA Anti-Aliasing and it will literally stay pegged at 100%. Only problem is it is so demanding my FPS then starts to suffer again...

So strange that it will only use half of the GPU, but then it will use the other half when I enable MSAA or TXAA.

#19 Robot Kenshiro

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Vicious
  • The Vicious
  • 315 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 19 December 2015 - 07:38 AM

If you find a solution to this let me know please. I run a fx 9590. And gtx 980 sli. I dont run sli as i find the frames drop more often then just using a single card. So i turn off sli when i play mwo. But my fps drops to high 30s with all settings cranked bar shadows. If i had shadows cranks my fps starts at hi 40fps touching 50fps randomly and then when things get serious the frames drop hard to 30s to hi 20s.

#20 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,660 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:45 AM

Aware it is not an AMD cpu, but for comparison, my system, i5-3570k OC 4.5ghz, HD 7950/3gig vram oc 900/1275, 8gig ram, 1920x1080, med settings, no AA.

GPU 56% max usage, CPU 75% max spikes but floats around 50% majority of the game. FPS locked at 70, ranging from 55-70fps. Saw it hit a few times in game and on log (Canyon Network).

Edited.

Removed the max fps cap. CPU 88% max, avg 65%, GPU usage max out at 100%, floated around 90% (reread the log files), max FPS 175, low 55, for most of game 85-95FPS (Tourmaline) no AA

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 19 December 2015 - 02:36 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users