- - - - -

Light Mech Question

9 replies to this topic

#1 xxSSKxx

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:28 AM

Are there any light mechanisms able to mount a guass?

#2 Arianrhod

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:36 AM

Yes. Firestarter and Raven could pull it off (and, well, Urbanmech). I think I've seen it once on a Spider, too. However, I'd caution you against this strongly. Mounting that size of weapon on light mech requires you to either strip your armor to a token amount, meaning you get one-shotted every time, or reduce your engine to a minuscule size, as the Urbanmech does—or both. Reducing the engine on a light that much removes the light mech's primary advantage, speed. Mounting heavy ballistics on a light is a troll build that people mostly do for entertainment value.

If you're seriously considering it, you need a 35 tonner.

#3 L a S e R

• PipPipPip
  • 83 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:39 AM

Even the Urbie has problems running a Gauss effectively. Sounds like you need a cicada

#4 BeaverOnFire

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 65 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:45 AM

As the others mentioned it: It is basically impossible. But i´m guessing you would like to snipe? Maybe this mech is sth for you:

2ER LL + ECM:

http://mwo.smurfy-ne...68462d4aae44f58

Edited by BeaverOnFire, 19 December 2015 - 11:45 AM.

#5 Leone

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 19 December 2015 - 11:52 AM

Well, the FS9-H is actually how I learned the gauss mechanics. But that was back when cooldown was better. I'd suggest dropping a ton of ammo, maybe drop the jump jets an nab a standard 155 engine?

Heck, you could drop another half tonne and move upto a 170 rating engine. You'd go about 80kph then.

~Leone

Edited by Leone, 19 December 2015 - 11:55 AM.

#6 CJ Daxion

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 222 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:03 PM

Honestly, if you wan't to run a gauss,, you really should use a medium. You could use a cicada 3M.. But even then the fastest engine your gonna get is a little over 100 KPH, and no back up weapons., at that speed a dragon is a far better choice.

Lightest mech i would use would be a black Jack, which can be done, but again not many back up weapons. To me the best lightest medium i would start with is the HBK-GIt, but it is a hero so you need to get MC for it.

I personally would go with a shadow Hawk.. it's 55 tons and has jump jets, and can get some energy back up weapons, Or no jump kets, and run a Dragon, which makes a great gauss and a Pair of LL's. great combo long range mech.

The problem with the lights, it's to heavy.. that running a light with a gauss, is about the same speed as a medium. It just does not work in this game, outside of the so called Joke/Troll builds, or RP fun, but those tend to be private events.

IF you wan't a c-bill mech, I would go with the shadow Hawk, 2D so you can have a few energy back up weapons, Or better yet grab a dragon 1C, Gauss + Dual LL's in your torso and use the arm on that side to shield with. works great!

Shadow Cat's clan side can run dual, and so can a Jager at 65 tons on IS side.

#7 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:19 PM

The panther 10p! I have tried it with an guass and its pretty decent. Xl engine are a must of course.

#8 Elizander

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,540 posts
  • LocationPhilippines

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:31 PM

Raven can do it with 3 tons ammo and 1 JJ I think if you shave a lot of armor.

#9 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 01:22 PM

Instead of doing that, have you considered putting an ERPPC on a raven 4x and then boating heatsinks? It works essentially the same way without ammo concerns. It is possible to put in a gauss with 3 tons of ammo and a xl195 on a 4x but isnt worth it now due to lack of ballistic quirks.

Edited by ArcturusWolf, 19 December 2015 - 01:24 PM.

#10 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:06 AM

many Light Mechs can mount a Gauss but to do so you will have to compromise with armor, speed or both

the Kit Fox was designed to mount a Gauss, the Adder also can but they are the only ones I would consider trying a Gauss on for serious play

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users