#1 Rogue Jedi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:22 AM

View PostICEWOLF506, on 19 December 2015 - 10:42 PM, said:

So I signed a contract with House Steiner without know what factions do or what to do within factions, think any of ya could go into detail about what the factions are for, what to do in the factions, and is there like clans inside of those specific factions I can join?

there are many units, some dedicated to a single faction, others are mercinary and will usualy change between factions.

a Clan in MWO refers to one of the Clan factions, Clan Wolf, Clan Ghost Bear, Clan Jade Falcon, and Clan Smoke Jaguar. there are something like 13 more Clans who did not participate in the initial invasion of the Inner Sphere. so please use the term unit to refer to what would be a clan in other games to avoid confusion

the only important decision for now when picking a faction is Clan or Inner Sphere, because that influences what Mechs you can use for Faction Play (also known as Community Warfare), I strongly recomend against taking a perminant contract as if you want to change later you will have to pay to break it

here is a brief description of the various factions, bear in mind none of this has any bearing on MWO

Inner Sphere Factions
The inner Sphere has been through some extremely devastating succession wars for the last 3 centuries, since the Star League collapsed and its military left the Inner Sphere, to the point that 30 years earlier they were barely able to produce Mechs, in the few surviving factories and much technology had been lost, they have started regaining technology over the last few decades

House Davion, the Federated Sons
UK/France theme, lovers of the Autocannon and technology, has been the hero faction in most previous Mechwarrior games, the First prince (leader) of Davion is married to the Archon (leader) of Steiner, forming what will become known as the Fedorated Commonwealth

House Steiner, the Lyrian Commonwealth
UK/Germany themed faction, wealthy, militarily preferring tonnage over anything else, the Steiner Scout Lance refers to 4 Atlas 100 ton assault Battlemechs, traditionally gives nobles military command regardless of experience

House Marek, the Free Worlds League
a loose coalition of different nations, managed to stay out of the succession wars, so their stock Mechs tend to have better equipment than the other IS faction,

House Liao, the Capelion Confederacy,
a Chinese themed faction, have often been portrayed as a "bad" faction in Battletech literature, not helped by the fact that many of their leaders have been mentaly unstable, prefer stealth and firmly believe that knowledge is power

House Kurita, the Draconis Combine
Japonise theamed faction, hate Davion, value honor above all else, prefer 1v1 combat, favorite weapon is the PPC

Free Rasslehague Republic
formed about 30 years ago from Steiner and Kurita systems, ruled by the Magnesson family, dislike mercenaries, Space Vikings

the Clans
descended from the Star League defense force, about 250 years ago they started developing new technology using star league tech as a starting point so are much more militarily advanced than the IS, belive on honor and avoiding waste, traditionaly would "bid" for a fight, the lowest bidder would get the chance to fight, would never focus fire, 1v1 was the only type of fight they were interested in, of course none of that made it into MWO, most Clan Warriors are produced from the genetic material of 2 great Clan warriors from the past, they would raise a large number of children from each pairing and train them as warriors, the vast majority would fail this training and end up in one of the lower casts (laborer, technician, scientist, merchant) their founder told them to protect the Inner Sphere Wardens think they should defend the Inner Sphere from external threats while Crusaders belive they should defend the IS from the corruption of the great houses by conquering it

Clan Smoke Jaguar
Crusader, the most totalitarian of the Clans, gives little respect or freedom to the lower casts, freeborn (natural birth) warriors are never allowed to progress far within the Clan

Clan Jade Falcon
Crusader but gives more respect and freedom to the "lower casts" than Smoke Jaguar

Clan Ghost Bear
Warden

Clan Wolf
Warden, often portrayed as the "good guy" Clan, the most friendly to freeborn, allows respect and a reasonable degree of freedom to the lower casts, unlike the other Clans takes note of IS tactics and adapts to them, works with their conquered populations meaning they have far fewer problems with rebellion and insurrection on their conquered worlds that the other Clans

if you are after more information look here:
http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Factions

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 20 December 2015 - 02:27 AM.

#2 ScootsMcgee

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 3 posts
  • LocationFlorida

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:26 AM

I was asking the same thing so i spent some time reading the forums CW is a huge waste of time if your new to the game and the rewards are not worth it by the time you do understand it. same mech's with minor hard pioints/tonage and the fact oooooo look clan mech blehhhhhh.....just enjoy the game and play quick match for awhile and if you still like the game and own at least 4 or more mechs then read up on CW and good luck with that.

#3 M0rdresh

• PipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:56 AM

Is it true the experience, in terms of the many fights and opportunity, is mostly determined about positioning?
Hence for example House Davion bordering to other IS regions not getting much Clan heat?

It's difficult to choose as I hear so many stories around the type of players, as in Davion not having many competitive players, etc. So the choice remains more difficult over simply a lore choice it seems.

#4 Sir Texas Sir

• PipPip
  • Mercenary
  • Mercenary
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSpace City, TEXAS

Posted 21 December 2015 - 09:27 AM

View PostScootsMcgee, on 20 December 2015 - 02:26 AM, said:

I was asking the same thing so i spent some time reading the forums CW is a huge waste of time if your new to the game and the rewards are not worth it by the time you do understand it. same mech's with minor hard pioints/tonage and the fact oooooo look clan mech blehhhhhh.....just enjoy the game and play quick match for awhile and if you still like the game and own at least 4 or more mechs then read up on CW and good luck with that.

I just returned after about a year not playing so the Faction stuff is new for me as it wasn't around before. I jumped right in and did a two week contract with House Kurita. Every win you get 300K CB on top of your match wins. I say that is a good chunk when I get about an average of 500K each match I do with XP. You can earn some money pretty fast to fund your Mech bays. I did order the clan pack during that off play time and have some, but I like IS mechs better. You get some bad games and you get some good ones, but have been in only two we lost. So no it's not a waste of time. I been popping into my House Team Speak now as I plan to do better with them. I only did the 2 week contract cause I figure it would take that long to get past rank 2 and the free mech bay you get. I still have 10 days left on my contract and I all ready passed that. So if you want a bunch of cheap Mech Bays you can run all the houses and get them easily. When my contract is up I'll prob try out a few other Houses, but to be honest Kurita was my fav when I was playing Table Top and I'll prob end up back in it more perm.

For a new player you might want to just pop in there once in a while and try it. You need 265 total tons of mechs to play, going in with less just hurts the team, but if your doing some random pug matches I say go for it. I only been back a week and I all ready catching myself calling out orders. Than again I come from other Clan/Guild base games too.

#5 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 21 December 2015 - 08:12 PM

View PostSir Texas Sir, on 21 December 2015 - 09:27 AM, said:

... You need 265 total tons of mechs to play, going in with less just hurts the team,

Just gotta stop by an say I'd rather my teammates take mechs their good with and drop a few tonnes shy than drop in mechs their not sold on. But yeah, CW why I stick around.

See you on the battlefield mechwarrior.

~Leone.

#6 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 22 December 2015 - 12:50 AM

agrred Leon, why people only think of the max tonnage for CW amazes me, there is a max tonnage, currently 250 for Clan and ether 260 or 265 for IS, but there is also a minimum tonnage of 160, which seems to have been designed to stop me taking 4 Lights.
the Marauder is the only Heavy IS Mech which I am more effective in than a 50 or 55 ton Mech and there is not much of a difference between my performance in a 35 ton and a 55 ton Mech

just so long as your total drop weight is at least 160 tonnes there is no need to use up all your tonnage, especially if that means taking Mechs you are less effective with

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users