In Observation...

7 replies to this topic

#1 CinnamonCrisp

Rookie

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:02 PM

I am not prone to making posts in any game forums but I felt compelled to say this. The other night I was playing and I was last man standing trying to prevent the base from being capped. Suddenly a lot of people started talking on VOIP cursing and swearing at me saying “F bomb” and “uninstall” and other four letter expletives. Mainly because they thought I was not doing the right things. I have found the MWO does have a learning curve largely because it is unlike any other PVP game and because of that I think it is a fun game. Unfortunately it is filled with much frustration as part of the community tends to unloads its verbal wrath on its fellow players. Let me reiterate...it is a fun game...keyword game or until some people start talking on VOIP. I would not recommend this game to my peers because of these people. I will have to say that there are many people using VOIP that exemplify great sportsmanship and are a credit to the MWO community however it is unfortunate that there are so many that cannot act in the same manner. My thanks to these exemplary people of sportsmanship I hope others can learn from you. Congratulations and thanks to PGI for all their hard work on making this such a great game.

P.S. I tend to become a rebel when people start cursing and swearing at me and do the exact opposite of what they are saying.

#2 Raubwurst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 2,284 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:38 PM

If it bugs you that much: You can disable VoIP via the settings.

But I have to say, that I had never problems with people in VoIP (only sometimes, when someone had a drink too much while playing and start to sing or babble anything, which I cannot understand).
I would say it is a thing, which comes with so many new players. But MW:O isn't an easy arcade-shooter, thus I bet a lot of these overly-cursing people, won't stay long. That means: should be getting better in the future :)

#3 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:14 PM

View PostCinnamonCrisp, on 20 December 2015 - 12:02 PM, said:

I am not prone to making posts in any game forums but I felt compelled to say this. The other night I was playing and I was last man standing trying to prevent the base from being capped. Suddenly a lot of people started talking on VOIP cursing and swearing at me saying “F bomb” and “uninstall” and other four letter expletives.

note the player names and on the end of round screen click on those names and send a report, unfortunately you can only do that 5 times a day.
the other way to report is send an email to moderation@mwomercs.com explaining what happened with as much detail as possible, including time and timezone, map, names of the offenders and any screenshots or recordings of the incident you may have.

it is unusual for me to see or hear that sort of thing but I always report it when I do.

majority of players are older and more mature than the population of the average online game.
As this is a continuation of a franchise from the mid 1980s many players are in their 30s, 40s and 50s

edit:
here is the code of conduct:
http://mwomercs.com/conduct
weather or not someone read it they agreed to abide by it, so take a look and if you see deliberate violations I enchourage reporting them, (e.g. non participation, if the match starts and a player never connected that could be a glitch, if someone disconnects half way through the match that could be a glitch but if someone moves into cover, powers down and then disconnects that is deliberate non participation so I would most certainly report it if I saw it)

Edited by Rogue Jedi, 20 December 2015 - 01:20 PM.

#4 Coralld

• Caladbolg
  • Caladbolg
  • 3,952 posts
  • LocationSan Diego, CA

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:18 PM

I run into those people but only very rarely, of course, I am speaking for my self. What I find funny though is that often times the people acting like delinquents and throwing insults were the ones doing the worst on the team. Usually, my self or some one else who are the last one/few left alive are the ones who contributed the most.

My favorite incident was where I was in a Shadow Cat (Gauss, 2x C-ERMLs, ECM) and I was the last one alive and it was 4 against 1 and I managed to kill 3 of them and ended the game in a tie (Wasn't able to kill the last guy because the time expired), all the while some jerk off was telling me to L2P, Uninstall, blah, blah, blah, and I turned the game around and almost won the game for us.

This is the Inter-Webs and a video game and sadly those kind of dregs exist in both areas and there is really nothing you can do about it other then muting their ars and sending a report ticket on them for vulgar behavior.

#5 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 20 December 2015 - 01:42 PM

I do that, but not exactly as described above, sometimes.

For instance, had someone a couple days ago, one of the last on the team, on Viridian Bog in a stock EBJ-C. Missing some basics, like minimum LRM range and line of fire (firing those LRM-15s at a target below and within 140 meters of the firing mech), and so on. I tried to offer some "do this", "don't do that", and REFRAINED from use of colorful expletives.

The player remarked at the end, that it was the first time he/she had to mute a player.

You're welcome, I guess?

So, I've had to try to back off of doing THAT.

I DO get a little frustrated now and then. Like a little while ago today, when on Canyon Network I was moving as one of three lights on one far edge of the map, and encountered an enemy Firestarter with some other heavies nearby providing fire support. BACK OFF, right? Sure. And where were my teammates? Running away like me, but AHEAD OF me and not offering much in the way of help even after we had that FS9 isolated from his heavy pals. I kinda accidentally keyed up whilst cursing to myself, and I am embarrassed by that. If you read this, and you were there, I apologize.

But I DO NOT like to curse at new players who are obviously still learning their way around the game. That discourages them from continuing to learn the game, and it can spread word-of-mouth and hurt recruitment of more new folks to the game.

And then you have someone with such a thin skin, that he can't handle even a no-profanity, not-angry, minor ribbing in game in a FW drop, and disconnects on his second mech (leaving us down 3). Disco'd as I was explaining that it's no big deal, it's just a game, it doesn't cost any of us any real money, etc. Just don't get that bunched-up behind another friendly mech in a tight canyon like that, in case (as was the case) he/she needs to back up. You leave the space for that mech in front of you to back up by either a.) maintaining a reasonable following distance, or b.) sticking to the opposite wall, alternating back down the line.

Bummer.

Anyhow, to the OP: Sorry if that's been your experience, and DOUBLY so if I've been involved. Some of us are trying to help, some are just angry. Some that are trying to help don't always express it so well. But SOME of what's being said there, should probably be taken to heart. NOT ALWAYS. But sometimes. JUST sometimes. Someone just MIGHT be offering some decent advice, and while it may or may not make sense in the moment, it may come in handy 100 matches from now.

#6 M0rdresh

• PipPip
  • The Slayer
  • The Slayer
  • 45 posts
  • LocationBelgium

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:16 PM

It's a real shame your experience was like that.

I have been playing multiplayer games for decades and I rarely, very rarely, witnessed such an overal friendly athmosphere.
Both in-game through voicechat (though people talk more on United States servers, Europe is more reserved on this and probably due to language barrier).

Don't be fooled by a bunch of standalone events, this game has a VERY good community.

#7 Rogue Jedi

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 4,908 posts
  • LocationSuffolk, England

Posted 20 December 2015 - 02:41 PM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 20 December 2015 - 01:42 PM, said:

I do that, but not exactly as described above, sometimes.

For instance, had someone a couple days ago, one of the last on the team, on Viridian Bog in a stock EBJ-C. Missing some basics, like minimum LRM range and line of fire (firing those LRM-15s at a target below and within 140 meters of the firing mech), and so on. I tried to offer some "do this", "don't do that", and REFRAINED from use of colorful expletives.

sorry TheRabbi, I intend no offense, but about 1 in 4 of your posts which I have seen come off as patronizing or insulting, I know this is not intentional, and I am sure I have done that a few times myself but if you were telling someone what to do that can be taken as insulting, instead explain why it would be better to do something differently

e.g. rather than just saying "Rogue Jedi do not fire LRMs inside 180m" say "Rogue Jedi did you realize LRMs do no damage inside 180m"
yes it is a few more words but it should be harder to take offense from.

#8 Not A Real RAbbi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 20 December 2015 - 03:02 PM

View PostRogue Jedi, on 20 December 2015 - 02:41 PM, said:

sorry TheRabbi, I intend no offense, but about 1 in 4 of your posts which I have seen come off as patronizing or insulting, I know this is not intentional, and I am sure I have done that a few times myself but if you were telling someone what to do that can be taken as insulting, instead explain why it would be better to do something differently

e.g. rather than just saying "Rogue Jedi do not fire LRMs inside 180m" say "Rogue Jedi did you realize LRMs do no damage inside 180m"
yes it is a few more words but it should be harder to take offense from.

Actually, that's about how I remember that drop on Viridian. "Whoa, don't do that _____; your LRMs can't hurt him that close, and besides, he's got cover." Something like that. I've tried to be nice and all. I just have to give up on trying, I suppose. Let someone with one of those buttery-smooth voices do the talkin', you know?

Also, keep in mind that it's a LOT harder to communicate by plain text, than by voice, and then harder than by face-to-face. There's a lot that doesn't come through in text, and I do find myself being taken differently than I intend OFTEN. It's a LITTLE tougher to do that via voice.

And, last but not least, THANKS for that honest feedback!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users