- - - - -

I Need A Good Build !

16 replies to this topic

#1 Vashh the Stampede

Rookie

• Knight Errant
  • 8 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:03 PM

I need a good build for Centurion-AH(L) , it dosnt matter how much cost !!

#2 Fox With A Shotgun

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,646 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 04:19 PM

CN9-AH?

Let's start with the basics. It's an odd centurion that doesn't zombie very well, so you might as well go XL engine for more speed and firepower. With the recent buffs to SRMs, the 3-ASRM6 build works pretty well once more.

CN9-AH

Alternatively, you could do AC20 / 3-SRM2. It works slightly differently, but if you like big ballistics over missiles, this may be for you. CN9-AH

Edited by ArcturusWolf, 20 December 2015 - 04:22 PM.

#3 Modo44

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 09:16 PM

The basic setup is a big gun, AC20 with 4 tons of ammo or Gauss with 3 tons of ammo, then the rest for SRM4 with some ammo (purely as backup for facehugging). These are squishy, so make sure to be in cover a lot, and play patiently.

The other approach would be 3xASRM6 as the main weapon system with a standard engine and maybe some MGs. This one brawls well.

Do not LRM boat this mech. In fact, do not LRM boat any mech, ever.

Edited by Modo44, 20 December 2015 - 09:21 PM.

#4 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 21 December 2015 - 03:55 AM

View PostModo44, on 20 December 2015 - 09:16 PM, said:

Do not LRM boat this mech. In fact, do not LRM boat any mech, ever.

Could not disagree more.
Any Centurion wouldnt be my first pick for LRMing, but they arent horrible at it.

As you have already conceded, they are not the most durable of mechs. Well if you are gonna sit arround in the back, why not shoot missles at people?

I mastered 3 centurions not that long ago. AH was probably my least favotite (no backup lasers!) so I said screw it and turned into a LURMER. I dont recall exactly what I had on it (Ive since sold it) but it was something to the effect of 2 LRM 10s and a single LRM 5. LOTS of ammo. Beagle active probe, double heat sinks, an XL motor of some sort, and a miserable 3MGs as backup (which actually did land me a couple kills.

Again, not a super crazy OMGWTFBBQ meta nerd build. But I was able to kick out 500-600 dmg with it fairly regularly.

Edited by Boogie138, 21 December 2015 - 03:55 AM.

#5 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:22 AM

To be perfectly honest, placing an XL engine on the Centy will only work if you are very good at protecting your torsos.
Also, every time I see a Centy with a AC20, I go for torsos.

I am a big fan of Centurions but I only use STD engines on mine.
Makes them less of an immediate threat but makes them last longer and eventually use one side for dummy fire (protection).

Example:
STD Engine
3xASRM6
3xMG

Use the MGs for fireworks (and crit triggering) and also as an extra part to defend from incoming fire.

All centurions have one noticeable part to be destroyed and that's the right side (Torso or AC arm).

That's the reason why I don't use anything important on that part of the mech. Leaving the other side (with the ASRMs) free to look and shoot, then look left again for protection.

While the enemy is all happy hitting the right arm or torso (either to disable the ballistics or to kill in case of XL), I'm happy returning fire with the SRMs Posted Image

Is it a good build? Possibly not.
Does it work? In the right hands it does!
In the 1k matches I've done with the AH, I've done an average above 300 damage per match.

Of course you have to know how to use a Centy first, then think outside the box as the Centy has a "hit-this" tagged on the right side.

You can try other builds, but this is my suggestion for you.

Edit - Didn't notice Modo44 showing basically the kind of setup I was talking about. That's a nice example.

Edited by FlipOver, 21 December 2015 - 04:25 AM.

#6 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 04:53 AM

View PostBoogie138, on 21 December 2015 - 03:55 AM, said:

Could not disagree more.

And that is why you will stay in tier whatever for a while. LRMs are cancer for your skill. It is a weapon that prevents you from ever learning advanced tactics like "aiming" or "using cover". It will give you lucky high damage games plus a lot of frustrating stomps where smarter players roll over your sad ***. If you like winning, do not use LRMs until you are good with all the other weapons. You have been warned.

#7 Sky Hawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 700 posts
  • LocationDeep Periphery, aka Hungary

Posted 21 December 2015 - 05:33 AM

First of all, I don't think this thread is the best place for the old "LRM-stupid-noskill-useless/Yesitis" fight..

So,.. since the OP forget to tell us, what kind of playstyle he/she want to play, or from which purpose he/she want to use this Mech.. @Boogie139's answer is usefull.

An LRM-boat is a good build for this Mech, if someone just want to level it fast, or don't like brawling, etc... With 2-3 LRM10, BAP, a medium size XL, and 3 MG.. it is a good 2th-3th line Mech.. Perhaps, not in @Modo44's (Tier1) world, but in the lower Tiers, it is an acceptable build.. (And a funny too.. if someone likes to play with LRMs..)

#8 Modo44

• Bad Company
  • 3,559 posts

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:01 AM

View PostSky Hawk, on 21 December 2015 - 05:33 AM, said:

First of all, I don't think this thread is the best place for the old "LRM-stupid-noskill-useless/Yesitis" fight..

Where else if not where new players will read it? It is too late when you see "hold locks please" in the game chat.

#9 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:15 AM

View PostModo44, on 21 December 2015 - 06:01 AM, said:

Where else if not where new players will read it? It is too late when you see "hold locks please" in the game chat.

Depends. In PUG, who really cares? I mean, aside from the obvious answer.

Seriously, WE GET IT. Top-tier players, those on truly competitive teams that are regularly at the top in tournaments, almost NEVER use LRMs these days. We understand that. Using them now, while one is learning the game, means learning bad habits that will have to be un-learned to become competitive at that level. HAVE I MENTIONED THAT WE GET IT?

And in group queue, I promise to not use LRMs as a primary weapon, if at all. Serious, I PROMISE THIS TO YOU.

And in FW fun drops, I'll limit myself to no more than one LRM-equipped mech, and even then not as a primary weapon system. Again, PROMISE.

Public/solo queue, though, I'm gonna spam the s**t outta some LRMs, because I can and REASONS and I enjoy disappointing the tryhard wannabes in my lowly tier in the PUG queue.

Now, may we get back on topic without having to hear how stupid the topic is to the top-tier players in their top-tier matches? Pretty please?

(My apologies to Rogue Jedi, as this is one of those roughly 1/4 of comments he mentioned yesterday, and now I see exactly what he means. RJ IS a 'he', right? I mean, I never asked...)

#10 FlipOver

• Bad Company
  • 1,135 posts
  • LocationIsland Continent of Galicia, Poznan

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:29 AM

just so the last few posts are not considered OT and because the title says ""Need a good build" I will sum up things below.

1 - The term "good build" is pretty broad. There are good builds for competitive play, good builds for trolling, good builds for PUG matches, good builds for CW, and so on.
2 - Customization is one big thing on MW:O. Of course you can look for the most meta build or just have fun customizing your mech the way you want, play with it and then change again and keep on going until you get to some satisfying build that suits your play style.
3 - Usage of the training grounds (or the academy) with your new mechs build is a great option to test it out, instead of just taking it out against other players. Gives you a chance to get used to the mech and new weapon systems and do some heat and movement tests.
4 - Ultimately you will get to a stage where you define if you like some weapon systems better than others in your Tier bracket. Until then, check some of the above builds, use them, try them, test them and see for yourself.

All options are viable, ones are more than others, ones are more demanding than others, it will be up to YOU to decide which are better for you. So don't be scared of testing builds and using them.

One small advice though, use the same build for at least 30-50 matches before you jump to conclusions. Most of the time, people try out what turns out to be a good build and because they are not experienced at using that mech or that configuration, they will say the build is bad, when the problem there was they didn't use enough time and matches to really get used to it.

#11 knight-of-ni

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 1,627 posts
  • Location/dev/null

Posted 21 December 2015 - 06:40 AM

You are going to get a different definition of what "good" means from each person who posts.

Here is how I run my AH:
http://mwo.smurfy-ne...ec5780460c0ca06

Max std engine, triple artemis srm-4's, and triple mg's.

I am not a fan of using an XL engine in a Centurion, but as you can see there are others who are.

Now if only PGI would let me sell back the AH, as they gave me two of them.

Edited by knnniggett, 21 December 2015 - 06:42 AM.

#12 S 0 L E N Y A

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,031 posts
  • LocationWest Side

Posted 21 December 2015 - 02:08 PM

View PostModo44, on 21 December 2015 - 04:53 AM, said:

And that is why you will stay in tier whatever for a while. LRMs are cancer for your skill. It is a weapon that prevents you from ever learning advanced tactics like "aiming" or "using cover". It will give you lucky high damage games plus a lot of frustrating stomps where smarter players roll over your sad ***. If you like winning, do not use LRMs until you are good with all the other weapons. You have been warned.

You're statement is completely flawed and based on a false premise.

First, you presume that LRM boating (and doing it well) is mutually exclusive to being able to fight well with direct fire weapons.

I could go on and on and lecture you as to how I'm not a low tier "I can haas locks pls" nub that just stands in place while holding down the spam button, but frankly I'm too tired and as mentioned the LRM debate is OLD.

But since you have opened the door for presumptions I will add this:
Just because you cannot execute a proven and effective play style does not mean nobody can.

P.S.
Back to OP.
Pretty sure you can also fit dual AC5s in the AH. Makes for decent mid-length range poking.

#13 Leone

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,693 posts
  • LocationOutworlds Alliance

Posted 21 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

If you do not mind being a bit slow, I offer the Pocket Assault. Might be too slow for you, but that's be my best for me. If you need however, a quick SRM purge and a STD 200 should get you back upto acceptable speeds for most. You could also place an xl in there, but I don't outta habit, and spite. Mostly Spiteful Habits.

~Leone.

#14 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 03:57 AM

View PostModo44, on 21 December 2015 - 06:01 AM, said:

I hate how people deliberately do not target mechs because they hate lrms and act like they are experts for doing that. First of all it's a bit childish to try and screw over people just because you don't like their mech. And second it's pretty dumb not to target because targetting shares information with other mechs and tells YOU where to shoot them by showing you what is most damaged. So IMHO it's a newb move not to use this feature.

It is never ever ever ever ever ever ever bad to press R and target stuff. I usually do it even before I see a mech because I can tell before I even get to it what it is and maybe how I want to approach it with a given mech. Or whether I should go for other prey. Once I get where I can see them, I can see better what mech people are shooting or other info on the situation.

The targetting lets you see who's engaged and how heavily. And where they are facing. Which helps you with flanking maneuvers. Of course if nothing is targetted you can find yourself turning too early and running into the whole team, or maybe things are too thick behind the mech you wanted.

In any case it is wrong to discourage players from sharing information. Information is ammunition.

As far as LRMs go this is definitely not the thread for it. You just totally went off on LRMs when the OP didn't even express an interest in them. Which derails the conversation. If you want the old LRM debate to be seen by new players,, start a new thread which is actually about LRMs. It seems you believe some myths about LRMs as well, like that they don't require aiming or awareness of cover. No weapon fits that description, and actually in the case of LRMs this is even more true since your main concern when using them is making sure you can get to cover and making sure your missiles are not just being wasted on the enemy's cover. Guess that cover awareness comes in handy.

LRM haters seem to often espouse both the view that LRMs are a no skill weapon that is OP and that they are useless, which is contradictory. As for me, I don't generally bring them, mainly because they are most useful when you are on a team which is going to play as a team with them in mind or as a backup/softening weapon in some edge cases. I guess there's a close tie there with the fact people will bully you into not using them in this game. In any case how about being useful and actally answering this guy's question with constructive builds rather than preaching your own agenda?

#15 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:04 AM

View PostTheRAbbi, on 21 December 2015 - 06:15 AM, said:

Seriously, WE GET IT. Top-tier players, those on truly competitive teams that are regularly at the top in tournaments, almost NEVER use LRMs these days. We understand that.

I wouldn't be so sure about that. Sure there are reasons other weapons might be effective, but there are situations and maps where they can be of help. In Community Warfare I have seen some I would consider top teams (Tier 1 players in units people consider "comp teams") use them well on certain maps. It's about coordination. Once in awhile in CW or group queue you run into a team who has almost all lrm mechs or mostly lrms with some scouts with narc and tag. Then there is quite a bit of rain. These teams definitely use the "advanced tactics" of focusing fire, using cover, and effectively aiming.

No weapon is completely useless in the right hands. It's just some people would rather use another weapon or feel the tonnage used with other weapons gives a better value. It's ok to use the weapon you work best with. No one should believe the hype.

#16 D A T A

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Death Star
  • Death Star
  • 892 posts
  • LocationCasamassima, Bari, south Italy

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:06 AM

do not listen to this pugs man, listen to il MechWarrior

1 ac 20 3 srm 4 xl 255 is the best you can do on it, anyways it' a **** mech

te meta centurion is the al, xl275 3 ll

#17 Anachronda

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 293 posts

Posted 22 December 2015 - 04:16 AM

View Postknnniggett, on 21 December 2015 - 06:40 AM, said:

I am not a fan of using an XL engine in a Centurion, but as you can see there are others who are. Now if only PGI would let me sell back the AH, as they gave me two of them.

I understand why you would say that; one of the great strengths of a Centurion is its durability and effectiveness with "zombieing." That's what originally drew me to them and my first YLW build was like that. The whole left side was fair game and even when I lost my AC/20 I was able to fight with my lasers.

However, I ended up going XL later on because I found going faster was more effective. With radar derp going and a max engine, there are lots of ways to get in and out of fights. I second the above poster's contention, however, about learning how to protect torsos first. Obviously you can still twist and use your arm as a shield in this case, and the torsos are still pretty tough. When going after a Centurion, if I am not already about to beat through his side torso I tend to try and blow off the right arm holding its strongest weapon, especially if I am brawling up close. Shooting the rear when you can is good for any mech. I do try and hit CT in case they have a STD engine, but that is more situational. Learning clues to whether a mech has XL, generally from seeing weapons and speed and knowing builds, is definitely a good thing to cultivate.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users