Posted 28 January 2016 - 03:24 PM

Faction Wars needs much more Folk Posted Image

#42 Insufficient Skill

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:22 AM

View PostMcHoshi, on 28 January 2016 - 03:24 PM, said:

Faction Wars needs much more Folk Posted Image

Like, for example, a game mode that's interesting to play, motivating, rewarding and well thought out.

#43 Kissamies

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 30 January 2016 - 10:07 AM

View PostFen Tetsudo, on 02 January 2016 - 10:09 PM, said:

The CW maps on Training Grounds should have active turrets, generators and omega. So that new people can find them on their own time - the game is too chaotic to learn where they are during a drop.

I know it took me a few drops to learn where omega was and what side to shoot.

This would probably be the least resource intensive way to do it. The turrets wouldn't necessarily even have to shoot player, just be there. They are really even not as important to memorise as figuring out what gens you are supposed to shoot and where.

Of course this wouldn't fully prepare the new players for the actual dynamics of CW matches, but at least they'd know what the objectives are. A new player selecting the FP tab for the first time should be strongly suggested to check training grounds before playing.

#44 FrigginEH

• Pip
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 24 March 2016 - 03:21 PM

as a relatively new player, it would also be helpful to be able to see your progress towards "unlocking" Faction Warfare if there was a pilot rating threshold to meet, or certain number of games to be played. and for the faction play pop-up not to be there until it is unlocked. perhaps it would be to everyone's advantage to have the tutorial as well as a lower threshold to be met in order to join CW, just so players actually do have experience. for example, limiting trial mechs to 1 or 2 allowed per drop and having 2 other mechs elited are required to join as well as completing the tutorial and it's achievements. i certainly had no clue what i was doing for the first few drops. i didn't know there even WAS a mobile base for counter attack so i ended up shooting omega while wondering why its health bar wasn't flashing and diminishing. i still don't know where gate generators are so i just let other people take care of it. i certainly need more experience for CW as well as knowledge of it's functions and good tactics. at least i'm around on the forums and have watched the videos i can find and i'm learning. and i'm thankful for the veterans who genuinely care for the community as a whole.

it isn't a quick easy fix but i, as a noob/baby seal, can easily see the value of addressing this is a huge gain for everyone.

#45 TooDumbToQuit

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 05 May 2016 - 09:15 PM

Not a lot of people have been any help. i have to go to the forum to ask questions etc. This new training video etc sounds great but start with this writing out how and why to do things.

During the scouting some people are just intel whoring, even changing to faster mechs when they see mine.

And we are getting killed going into the gates being hit 5 to 1 and some guy will be yelling, push, push, push and we all die and drop again.

I'm trying to use air strikes, I wish i could get another to help.

#46 Commander A9

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 8
  • 2,375 posts
  • LocationGDI East Coast Command, Fort Dix, NJ

Posted 06 May 2016 - 03:55 PM

It really does need a tutorial.

Hell, we might put our heads together and make a Youtube video for it.

#47 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationDeath to Aladeen Cafe

Posted 06 May 2016 - 09:10 PM

View PostCommander A9, on 06 May 2016 - 03:55 PM, said:

It really does need a tutorial.

Hell, we might put our heads together and make a Youtube video for it.

NOT that it hasn't already been done, to some extent, but I'm down. TOTES.

#48 Rhaezor

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 122 posts
  • LocationPT

Posted 09 May 2016 - 09:02 AM

This event is awesome but the time to complete it makes it stupid and frustrating. The solution? remove the time limit, give those rewards as people achieve those marks on their time. I know this wont likely happen.

I was surprised to see in the general section, other players saying the same, not motivating, too much queue time, pre made vs pug. It's what I feel and I dont have the time to be a veteran. Even they felt frustrated with the event/time limit and gave up.

Edited by ShinRazor, 18 September 2016 - 04:36 PM.

#49 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 10:18 AM

I highly doubt you would see unlimited time on an event. Honestly the 10 days was a lot longer than most (usually 2 days to a week tops), but then this was really 2 events at the same time when compared to most events in what was required of it.

I finished both, but it was 9-10 Sunday night before i was done with it all.

Edit: Just saw that they actually extended it through the 16th, so you have an extra week to finish it.

Edited by LadyDanams, 09 May 2016 - 10:19 AM.

#50 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 11:43 AM

If any PGI even reads these...

Have a look around the Academy subforum, and take note of how many posts you see by user Dave Forsey.

Yeah. PGI reads this forum at. The read the heck out of it. Well, Dave does anyway.

#51 Digital_Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 441 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:08 PM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 09 May 2016 - 11:43 AM, said:

Have a look around the Academy subforum, and take note of how many posts you see by user Dave Forsey.

Yeah. PGI reads this forum at. The read the heck out of it. Well, Dave does anyway.

You see some from Tina as well. I know Russ pays attention to what players are saying on Twitter as well. I assume he would also be reading at least parts of the forums too.

#52 Dave Forsey

Senior Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 198 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:13 PM

All the forums do get read and concerns noted - but consider just the logistics (let alone the problem of explaining context) of entering into a conversation with every one.

I'm making an exception here just to note a couple of things:
- The Academy sub-forum administrator (me) is actually far more draconian than the regular forums
- There simply isn't that much traffic (topics of general interest don't stay here)
- The regulars here are remarkably well behaved, which may be an emergent property of the first two points... :-)

And this isn't the place to continue a discussion of why or why not PGI does or does not listen to feedback.

#53 Scout Derek

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Infernal
  • The Infernal
  • 8,015 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSomewhere where you'll probably never go to

Posted 09 May 2016 - 12:21 PM

View PostDave Forsey, on 09 May 2016 - 12:13 PM, said:

And this isn't the place to continue a discussion of why or why not PGI does or does not listen to feedback.

Yep, I should probably look into this place more, but haven't since I've been busy with trying to keep GD in order, should have stepped in before to address this.

Now I'm following this thread Posted Image

#54 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 02:08 PM

Oh, we really did it THIS time...

SO, back to the topic...

Anyone thinking of renewing the argument FOR a FW tutorial, since the addition of a Scouting mode? The introduction of Combat Identification, Satellite sweeps ("the sweeps, the bleeps, and the creeps"), and Long Tom?

What SHOULD we want a new player to learn right away, before launching into FW??

#55 Virlutris

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 1,443 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationVery likely goofing off in a match near you.

Posted 10 May 2016 - 10:58 AM

Actually, there could be a place in the Academy where you go stand in the box beneath a waiting dropship, to be whisked away to an "Advanced Combat Training" (ACT) explaining Faction Play on a temperate map such as Taiga or Hellebore.

ACT could include (no particular order, some events, some narrative drop-ins)

1) Turret Rush/Blitz/Push: take down as many as you can on the way to Omega!
2) dropship dance fight: twist as much damage as you can from the dropship (maybe not, since pushing into a dropship's AO isn't exactly encouraged.) Turret Rush might teach you to roll OP blue-laser-of-doom damage too.
3) Invasion 101: storming the castle, what am I doing on attack? (open gates, knock out o-gens, knock out omega@gun
4) Invasion 102: counterattack and you, who needs more kills, and when does omega field base actually matter? Attack vs defend differences, what does the field base look like, and where should I look (narrator's tutorial/hint: near the gun)
5) where are the o-gens? Where's the omega gen@the gun?
6) there's more, I'm sure, but I'm cutting myself off here

An Intel Beacon Rodeo might be useful, where the beacons spawn somewhat randomly in a set of grids, and you've got to pick up as many as possible in so many minutes. Helpsnget a feel for timing.

Intel Beacon Rodeo could perhaps be done in a back corner of the River City map, or if that's getting too cluttered, pehaps in a designated hinterland on Taiga, Hellebore, or whichever map is selected for ACT.

Edited by Virlutris, 10 May 2016 - 11:00 AM.

#56 Ace Selin

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 14 May 2016 - 07:16 PM

I totally agree that Faction Play (Warfare) needs a turtle, so i will provide one for those who have requested this .....
Posted Image

Edited by Ace Selin, 14 May 2016 - 07:16 PM.

#57 TooDumbToQuit

• The Death Wish
  • 1,539 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:42 PM

View PostSister RAbbi, on 21 December 2015 - 07:11 AM, said:

Given that we've seen a seemingly significant influx of new players since the Steam release, and that Faction Warfare seems to be THE game mode at least to many of those new players, and that there is a LOT to know about FW on top of general game play, I suggest that there should be some manner of Faction Warfare tutorial. And the Academy is JUST the place for it! There should be an option for the new player/cadet in the Academy to hop on a dropship and head to a FW tutorial area. THERE, Captain (What IS his name?) or another character will walk the cadet through the basics from drop to victory, say on the attacking side. No mechs, just turrets. Make the new player have to navigate to a certain gate on the map (pick a map, say Boreal so there's not the leg-yo-self-fool drop right off the DZ), move into position to disable the generator, disable the generator, pass through the gate, disable the other thingies, and finally kill Omega. We could explain that the defenders' job is simply to STOP the attackers from accomplishing all of this within a 30-minute period. Then, phase 2 goes live-fire, with the cadet being sent out against live turrets or AI mechs (tuned down, of course), moving in the counterattack against a seized base. Hurray for the already-coded-into-the-academy damaged mechs! Hey, use what you already know from the academy, cadet! That one's cored, that one's almost legged out, and THAT one is one headshot away. And so on. Successful completion of phase I (attack walkthrough) earns, say, 500k CB, and successful completion of the live-fire exercise earns another 500k or a million. At successful completion of the second part, automagically transit back to the academy proper, in River City. POINT BEING, that new players are occasionally going to jump straight into FW without any real idea what they're getting in to. Not that the Academy is a proper prep for live-fire 12v12, but it's a good start. Really, we have no academy intro for ANY game mode. But anyhow, FW is especially steep in terms of things that new players need to learn to be successful there. And with teams of twelve PUG singles regularly filling the queues, well, y'know. Give the new players another tool to help them succeed. Give them something to go back to, if they pull the FW trigger too soon and get monkey-stomped first time out, so they can see what they did wrong and how it is SUPPOSED to be done.

This makes too much sense. There were others like me that not only did nt know what a Gen was or when it was, but did not know that you had to aim for the window in it.

The main plan seems to be. Open one gate. Go into the one gate. And then mill around and die since no one has a idea of where to go.

We had a great Pug lost yesterday but I doubt it will happen again. In chat, during the hour or so of waiting, we decided to only use jump able lights on the first drop. We were against another premade on TS and we just thought, let's do something different then just die the same old way

We were on the map with the two gates far apart. 10 of us went into the left gate (btway, saying left or right gate is much easier) and two of us went to the right one. We destroyed the turrents and then dropped only the right gate.

Normally dropping only gate is the first mistake we make. Because more and more the premades will come rushing out and end up in our drop zone. Last week i was able to run a few with two Wolf units and we did this.

So the right side or the diversion side drops the gate and pokes a little and just shoots a lot etc to get their attention. And sure enough, at least 10 of the enemy was at the gate ready for them. So we 10 at the left gate jumped the gate and ran inside. We destroyed all the turrents and one and 1/2 Gens plus 2 enemy Mechs that came back to see what was going on. The remaining lights went up into their DZ until we were whiped out.

We lost this one but we came very close to winning. And considering that only the last 10 or so invasions we did not even hit a Gen, some of us took it for a plus and it was FUN. Plus we liked the fact that whatever plan that premade had, we ruined it.

I have a winning record in all the QP's and a horrible one in Invasions. And they take sooo long or never to get a drop. We often have to drop with the Jade Falcons just to get a match.

All games need new players. But if those new players are given no help, no direction and are even made fun of by the older players....Then they are going to be lost.

#58 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:41 PM

View PostLikeUntoGod, on 01 June 2016 - 02:42 PM, said:

This makes too much sense. There were others like me that not only did nt know what a Gen was or when it was, but did not know that you had to aim for the window in it.

The main plan seems to be. Open one gate. Go into the one gate. And then mill around and die since no one has a idea of where to go.

We had a great Pug lost yesterday but I doubt it will happen again. In chat, during the hour or so of waiting, we decided to only use jump able lights on the first drop. We were against another premade on TS and we just thought, let's do something different then just die the same old way

We were on the map with the two gates far apart. 10 of us went into the left gate (btway, saying left or right gate is much easier) and two of us went to the right one. We destroyed the turrents and then dropped only the right gate.

Normally dropping only gate is the first mistake we make. Because more and more the premades will come rushing out and end up in our drop zone. Last week i was able to run a few with two Wolf units and we did this.

So the right side or the diversion side drops the gate and pokes a little and just shoots a lot etc to get their attention. And sure enough, at least 10 of the enemy was at the gate ready for them. So we 10 at the left gate jumped the gate and ran inside. We destroyed all the turrents and one and 1/2 Gens plus 2 enemy Mechs that came back to see what was going on. The remaining lights went up into their DZ until we were whiped out.

We lost this one but we came very close to winning. And considering that only the last 10 or so invasions we did not even hit a Gen, some of us took it for a plus and it was FUN. Plus we liked the fact that whatever plan that premade had, we ruined it.

I have a winning record in all the QP's and a horrible one in Invasions. And they take sooo long or never to get a drop. We often have to drop with the Jade Falcons just to get a match.

All games need new players. But if those new players are given no help, no direction and are even made fun of by the older players....Then they are going to be lost.

And THAT RIGHT THERE is what I'm talkin' about. BEEN talkin' about.

#59 Not A Real RAbbi

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 09 June 2016 - 03:51 PM

I have been playing this game actively for 2 weeks now. I started in Open Beta and played for a month then, so this is technically my 6th week playing MWO.

After two weeks of thorough search, I have yet to find a quality video or post explaining how faction play actually works. Not even from this website.

The question I have been trying to answer for the past 10 days straight is: "How do I gain faction reputation?" And for people who are already knee deep in faction warfare play obviously know the answer, but I've been trying to scour the entire internet for such a simple answer so that I don't have to ruin other people's games (I'm a T-4 pilot using trial mechs, come on even I wouldn't want to play in a game with myself). I still have yet to find an answer. I've been trying to find out on my own these past 10 days. I've played over a dozen matches in CW and I've finally won once about an hour ago. Still 0 faction reputation.

So I want to ask directly at the source. How do you gain Faction Reputation as a Mercenary (or whatever Reputation as a Loyalist)?
Edited by 90upznoobz, Yesterday, 06:51 PM.

From nextdoor in the NPH forum. Just gonna leave that right there....

#60 Syanis

• PipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 48 posts
  • LocationSE Asia

Posted 07 July 2016 - 02:38 AM

I'm a newer player and would very much like a faction play tutorial as well. I pick up on things quite quick but in a 4v4 thing (only did scouting so far a few times) its difficult to pick up quickly and also difficult to figure out what your team is doing as many aren't chatting.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users